An Officer and a Gentleman-1777 Ch. 04

Story Info
The German Girl.
2.7k words
4.55
11.2k
1

Part 3 of the 9 part series

Updated 08/17/2020
Created 07/12/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Major Tremaine had been summoned to Army HQ almost as soon as he returned from the Indian camp. He hurried over yet he had been kept waiting almost 45 minutes. It was just another example of how this army was being run. He still believed in General Burgoyne but time was being wasted. It was almost the middle of June. They should on the Lake by now, threatening Ticonderoga. Yet they sat, cooling their heels.

As he waited, Jeffrey thought about last night and Polikwaptiwa. He had been with all kinds of women, like his friend Jackson had said but never one like her. The fact that except for very few words they never spoke to one another was unusual but the idea that she wanted to have his child was unnerving. As far he knew no woman he had ever had wanted that and if they did, either it didn't happen or they never told him. And what of the child? If she does have one, will he ever know? That thought made him uneasy.

Sitting there, thinking, Jeffrey absent-mindedly played with the locket he wore around his neck. The locket contained a silhouette and a lock of a hair. It had arrived at Army HQ the day before he set sail for Canada. It came in a small package with a note, which read,

My dearest love, Seeing you was the Best and Worst that could have happened. It brought back Feelings that I thought long lost. Until then I never realized how much I love you and now know it can never be. I made my Choice long ago and must live by it. Do not worry over me. Digby loves me and treats me well but he is a jealous and vengeful Man when crossed. Please do not try to see me again. Let me keep my Memories of us. I have enclosed a Locket for you to wear close to your Heart and hope it may protect you from Danger. Forever my love, Nancy

Jeffrey had kept the note and read it again and again. Each time it seemed to evoke a different feeling; love, hate, anger, jealousy, disbelief, but he kept it locked safely away in his small desk. He should have destroyed it yet he didn't. He should have tossed the locket overboard on the long trip here but he didn't. He couldn't explain it. It was over between them, he knew that, but he couldn't let it go. At least not yet.

He was jolted out of his daydream by nasally female yelling, "Where is my breakfast?" and the sight of a buxom middle-aged blonde woman storming down the stairs greeted him. She was wrapped in her dressing gown, which was doing little to contain her. "Sophie, where is my breakfast?" she yelled again.

She halted when she saw him standing there. Without making any attempt to cover up, she asked impatiently, "Who are you?"

"Major Jeffrey Tremaine, General Burgoyne's staff, ma'am."

Her tone changed quickly. "Major Tremaine, I've heard of you." She moved closer. "I'm Emily Rousseau. I haven't seen you here before. I'd remember.

He had heard about this woman before. She was the wife of a commissary officer and now was the General's mistress. The officer had definitely decided that his professional growth was more important than his marriage. Perhaps the lady felt the same way. Jeffrey was reminded of a saying making its way around camp. "The husband fingered the cash while the General..."

So this was the woman that required so many wagons to carry her belongings. He guessed she was preparing for all the dances and dinners in Albany when they got there. If they didn't start moving soon it would be if they get there. Jeffrey smiled at her. "My pleasure, ma'am."

"Major, please free feel to call on me at any time. Now I must find that girl. Sophie, where is my breakfast?"

He was becoming more tense and jumpy as he waited. He felt on edge and that he needed some form of release. He thought about following the woman for a fleeting moment. "Damn," he said out loud. What had he been given last night? Then he felt the same way but he was able to use that energy to make love seemingly all night. Was this a left over effect? He would have to watch his tongue when he met the General.

"The General will see you now," a young lieutenant said.

Jeffrey entered the room to find General Burgoyne with three other officers. "Major," the General began, "I would like you to meet my officer corps, General William Phillips, General Simon Fraser and General the Baron Freidrich Riedesel. These are the officers I want you to remain in close contact especially General Fraser as he will command the advance and the Baron who with his Germans will be on own left. I told them that you were to be my eyes and ears. I believe they understand what I mean. I don't expect to see you around headquarters, only when needed."

"Yes, sir, "Jeffrey replied.

The two English generals, Phillips and Fraser nodded in agreement but the Baron seemed uneasy.

"Am I to understand," Riedesel said in his thick German accent, "that I am to take orders from a mere major. Never!"

Burgoyne shook his head. "Nothing like that, my dear Baron. The major speaks flawless German. Is than not so, Major?"

"Jawohl, Herr General."

"Because of that, any oral message I, Generals Phillip, or Fraser may have for you will get to you faster. Same as you to me. He is my liaison. Understand?"

The Baron gave him a weak smile. "We shall see."

Burgoyne rose to his feet. "Gentlemen, this Army will be moving forward in 3 days. I want everything ready by that time. No excuses, no misunderstandings. I want the fort at Ticonderoga in our possession by the first of the month. Any questions?"

There were none

"Good. You have your orders. Good day. Major Tremaine, please remain."

As the others left, Jeffrey wondered why he had to stay behind. He didn't have long to wait. The General waved a letter. "So, Major, you made quite an impact last night. Just what did you say? This is a letter from Langlade saying that because of you he promises 500 warriors will meet us at Crown Point plus 500 more at Ticonderoga. He also proposes a scout to go to Ticonderoga. He says 2 of his best men and you, Major, should under take it. Just what happened last night? Did you suggest this to him?"

Jeffrey bit his tongue. His first impulse was to blurt out the obvious and tell the General exactly what happened instead he explained, "Nothing, General, this is as much as surprise to me as it is to you. He made no mention of the scout or the number of warriors."

"Well, Major, despite of what you say, if it gets me 1000 warriors, then you will do it. When can you get started?"

Jeffrey had no idea. "In 2 days, sir," he said with out seriously thinking it over.

"Good. See that it done. You're dismissed. We will be halting at Crown Point then moving south. I expect to see you there." The General then smiled. "Be careful. I need you back here."

Jeffrey saluted and left the room. On his way out, the lieutenant handed him a note from Baron Riedesel. It requested his presents at dinner tonight. The Baron wanted him to meet his official family and then talk. He wrote a reply accepting and then sent an orderly off with it. Two important dinners in two days, each one completely different.

The dinner was not what Jeffrey expected. It was very informal which surprised him. The Baron only had four aides so they were seated on either side of the table. At one end sat the Baron and at the other his wife, Fredericka. Their three children were eating in another room but Jeffrey could hear their laughter. He also caught a glimpse of a comely young woman who was attending the children. He made a note to speak to her before he left.

There was no standing on rank and the food was placed on the table. Each person helped themselves, taking what they wanted. Jeffrey was seated next to the Baroness and he found her to be an excellent conversationist. She had recently been in London and Jeffrey discovered she was not treated all that well by society there. With this knowledge, he kept her entertained with stories about people he knew and some of their less sophisticated moments. He was able to put her at ease and she felt comfortable talking to him.

As they talked, he noticed she made eye contact with her husband, the Baron. She smiled and nodded to him often. Jeffrey realized that this was part of a test and he was passing it.

"Your German is excellent," she said, "Who taught you?"

"A wife of a German officer took pity on me and helped me when I was a young officer."

"She was French, no?"

"Yes," he smiled. "How did you know?"

"It is your accent. Even though your diction and pronunciation is perfect, you have a slight accent."

Jeffrey never knew this and he now felt a little embarrassed. The Baroness quickly saw this and put a hand on his sleeve. "I'm sorry. That was rude of me."

"No offense taken," Jeffrey replied. "But I would like to ask you a question, if I may?"

"You may ask."

"Who is that lovely young lady that I am only able to catch short glimpses of," he asked looking in the direction of the other room.

The Baroness laughed. "My dear Major, she is my children's teacher, their nanny. I will introduce you to her, if you like."

"I would like very much."

With that the Baroness rose, "Excuse me gentlemen, but it is getting late and I must attend to my children," She turned to Jeffrey. "Thank you for a most entertaining evening, Herr Major." All stood as she left the room.

The Baron got up, shut the door, and returned to the table. He sat next to Jeffrey. "I will speak frankly now, gentlemen. No word of this will leave this room." He looked directly at Jeffrey. "Understand? Or I will know."

There were murmurs of consent from all.

"Good!" he began. "I believe this campaign will be a difficult one, much more than our British friends think. It will be difficult to get our supplies forward as our lines will get longer and the Americans' will get shorter as they retreat before us. I feel that the Commanding General doesn't trust we Germans so we may find ourselves in some difficult situations. Agreed?"

Again all nodded.

Riedesel now addressed himself directly to Jeffrey. "Major, this is where you are important. I have to be able to trust you and have complete confidence in you. I will not tolerate spies in on my staff. If you are to be liaison as the General says, then you must be honest with me. Otherwise I will return you to him."

For brief moment, Jeffrey became angry at the thought of him being a spy for General Burgoyne and wanted to lash back. He didn't, as he quickly understood the Baron's position and his doubts. "Herr Baron, I am an officer and a gentleman in His Majesty's Army and I will not be a spy for anyone. I'm here to ease our communication and to quickly move orders, nothing more. I will carry official messages that is all. I also hope that the Baron will feel free to discuss any situation he feels necessary. I believe we have the same goal."

"Good. Then all is well." He stood and the others followed. "Within three days, we move so there is much to do. Good evening."

The meeting broke up and each officer left the room. Jeffrey decided to take one last look around the house and see if he could find the young lady he saw earlier. He remembered that the Baroness said she would introduce him but that didn't seem likely now. He walked through the first floor rooms as he headed towards the back. With only one more room to go he resigned himself to the fact he wouldn't find her. As he checked the last room he saw her there, next to a table, sorting and folding clothing and placing them into a large trunk.

"Kan ich ihnen Helfen, Fraulein?"

Startled, she looked up at him and dropped an item of clothing. Jeffrey stepped forward and picked it up. As he handed it to her, she smiled. He looked into her face.

Her auburn hair shined and framed a perfect face. Her blue eyes sparkled and pink lips smiled to show off her bright teeth. Her smooth skin was creamy white with a hint of freckles across her nose. Jeffrey found himself staring.

"I speak English, Herr Major," she said with a slight accent.

"Forgive me then. My name is Major Jeffrey Tremaine. At your service."

"My name is Katrina von Buskirk," she replied.

"von Buskirk?" he asked quizzically. He knew von before a name meant the family was ennobled but the Baroness said the young woman standing before him was the children's nanny. Looking her over quickly he could see by her posture and tone of voice there was something more to this.

"Yes, Major and if you are serious about helping me fold and load this trunk, I will explain it to you."

"Please do," he said as he began folding the clothing on the table.

"My mother was married to Count Otto von Buskirk, a distance cousin to Frederick, King of Prussia. My mother was very young when she married him and quickly gave him two sons. Having done her duty, he casted her aside. He said he had no need for her. Denied any physical affection and cruelly abused, she took a lover. Someone closer to her own age who gave her what she needed. This young Scotsman got her with child and when he discovered this, he fled, leaving my mother to face the Count alone. To avoid a scandal, the Count said I was his child but he never accepted me. He banished my mother and I after I was born and we wandered from relative to relative. At 17, the Baroness took me on to help with her children. So you see, Major, the von means nothing to me." She took the final piece of clothing from him. "Thank you for your help." She turned to leave.

"Wait," he said, "If you don't mind, could we go for a walk? Even a short one?"

"Well, a short one as it is getting late." She took a shawl from the hook and wrapped it around her shoulders. "You soldiers have such warm uniforms to protect from the damp air."

Jeffrey could not explain his feelings but he felt extremely comfortable talking to Katrina. He actually found himself doing more listening than talking. She asked him a number of questions about him, his family, and his life, which he answered without hesitation. They walked for much longer than they intended but Jeffrey discovered he wanted to talk to her more. He wanted to know more about her.

They stopped in front of house where she stayed with the Riedesel. They stood together in silence, looking over the camp with its campfires glowing and the numerous tents. A full moon was rising over the dark mountains in the distance.

"Nicht ist es schon? So ruhig," Katrina sighed.

"Ja aber nicht so schon wie ein wie Sie," Jeffrey replied.

Katrina lowered her head and smiled. Because of the darkness, he couldn't see her blush. "I must be going. Gute Nacht."

"Fraulein von Buskirk, may I call on you again?" Jeffrey asked.

"Mein lieber Major, I would be disappointed if you did not," she replied. She turned and entered the house.

As Major Tremaine walked away he made a note to make sure that he would have plenty of reasons to be in the German camp.