Badge of Betrayal

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

3.) Embezzlement. Bud Roberts had also shifted an additional $3,000 from the department's incidentals account to an account opened at our local Wells Fargo branch. The incidentals account is basically a fancy name for petty cash but it was an account that still had to be tracked with all receipts. It only receives an allotment of $15,000 a year. The Wells Fargo account, however, was opened in my name, of course. Once again, Tonya was a lifesaver and completely reversed and eliminated the entire transaction. The account was still active in my name, but now carried a zero balance. The only reason the account was left open was because there was actual paperwork that would still show that I had opened the account, regardless of Bud Roberts' attempt at forging my signature. The bank president, a friend of Bud's, and I would have to have a "friendly chat" when this was all over. That was the only way Bud could have opened an account in my name since a department electronic signature would have been useless. But since all transactions are now electronic and digital, there would at least be no trace that money had been transferred from the Sheriff's Department to that account. MITIGATED.

4.) Personnel issues. Although it hadn't been implemented yet, Bud's plan was to coerce some of our female deputies to file sexual harassment claims against me and some of our deputies, raising the specter of having a serious hostile work environment. As a result, I called in the entire department and made every one of them sit through a short-notice class on workplace violence, hostile work environments and sexual harassment. I further explained to all department members that sexual harassment and harassment of any kind would not be tolerated. I then had one-on-one listening sessions with each member of the department. If Bud had been present in the building at the time, it never would have been possible. I made sure that all of the sexual harassment training was documented to further demonstrate that I had a strong commitment to maintaining a harassment-free workplace. All of the females in the department thanked me for holding the training, as did several of the male deputies. I felt we all had a good rapport after that and everyone knew where I stood. MITIGATED.

5.) Property and Evidence. The whole fiasco with moving department property and evidence would have been enough to send me to prison for over eight lifetimes. If it hadn't been for Jeff's confession and Tonya's brilliance, there is no doubt that I would be looking at spending most of the rest of my life in prison. Being a former police officer in prison is not a good thing. Former cops don't have a long life span in prison. But in the end, we caught it and all of the evidence was returned and chain-of-custody remained intact. At least, it was intact enough to fool a judge. Or so I hoped. MITIGATED.

There were all manner of other more minor violations Bud had in mind for me. From messing with staff payroll records to fucking up the maintenance records of department vehicles, Bud did his best to make me look like an incompetent jackass who needed to be fired.

Chris, Tonya and I tackled each of these allegations and problems one at a time. By the time Bud returned to work on January 3rd, we had the last loose ends tied up and all departmental records were back to normal, electronic signatures and all.

Through it all Bud's texting and emails to my wife showed brashness that I never would have imagined from him. I used to consider Bud one of my closest friends. But this whole diabolical plan of his was to steal my wife from me and send me to prison for a very, very long time. The fact that he would go to such lengths infuriated me. And the fact that Clarissa would willingly go along with it for an upgrade in personal status broke my heart.

Bud Roberts was dangerous.

Bud Roberts was a maniac.

Bud Roberts needed to go.

And upon reflection of all of those different factors, I came to one conclusion: Sean Patrick Quinn was going to run for Sheriff of Mason County. And Bud Roberts was going to endorse me.

He just didn't know it yet.

Bud Roberts hadn't officially announced his intention to run for re-election as Sheriff of Mason County but everyone knew or assumed that he would. With the New Year behind us, it was only a matter of time before Bud would start ramping up his efforts and formally announce. He already had plans to attend meetings of every local service organization and looking for other venues for speaking engagements to bolster his qualifications for getting re-elected.

But thanks to Chris and Tonya, I now had three binders of hard copies of text messages, emails and phone records that had all been printed out. Additionally, Tonya's efforts at digitally imprinting the IP addresses on all of the emails had worked. In fact, she went above and beyond to add additional storage capacity to Bud's email account and cell phone account to allow for the additional influx of emails that now appeared as if they were originally sent to Clarissa from his office account. Regular texts would have added little to the storage on the account. The extra space was needed for all of the explicit text pictures they sent one another. At least I could comfort myself by having proof that Clarissa was definitely NOT trading up when it came to genitalia.

All of them now appeared to have been sent by Bud Roberts from his department issued phone. It wasn't much of a concern as text messages don't appear on the county's phone statements from Red River Telecom. Tonya never bothered doing the same thing, however, with any phone calls made between Bud and Clarissa, as the actual phone calls would have been documented on actual paper phone bills and receipts.

I now felt extremely confident that I had Bud Roberts and my soon-to-be-ex-wife dead in my sights. All I really had to do was pull the trigger.

I found out from Karen Landingham that Bud Roberts was scheduled to be speaking on the first Monday in February at the noon meeting of the local Red River Falls Jaycees. The Jaycees, or Junior Chamber of Commerce, were the second-largest service organization in Red River Falls and comprised many of the up-and-coming professionals and young entrepreneurs in Red River Falls and the surrounding area. Meetings generally saw attendance of 200 members or more. The largest service organization was the local Lions Club and you can bet that Bud Roberts would get himself scheduled on their speaking docket as well.

The last weekend in January was approaching. I had been really loading up on the time I had been spending with the boys, including going out and spending each evening at the farm before returning to my zero-star accommodations at the Skyline Drive Motel. When I wasn't working or spending time with the boys, I was spending time with Shannon and Bridget, often meeting them for dinner at their house. It wasn't because I was afraid to be seen with them in public but because I didn't want to take a chance of stirring anything up between Shannon and her father. I knew that if Shannon and I kept going with things the way they were that Jack Sullivan was eventually going to want to have a talk with me. He was very old-fashioned that way and I could tell that he was still possessed by an overwhelming need to protect his daughter and granddaughter.

On the last Saturday of the month, I received a surprise invitation from Suzanne Sullivan to attend dinner with her, Jack, Shannon and Bridget at their house that evening. I graciously accepted, even though I was tempted to decline. But I decided I wanted to forge ahead with this.

I arrived at their home at around 5:00 in the afternoon. Their home was located about five miles northwest of Red River Falls and sat on a hill on the family ranch overlooking an absolutely spectacular vista of the Red River valley that literally took one's breath away. The house itself was a custom-built log cabin built to the size and specifications of the most modern McMansion you would see in any suburban subdivision. It was absolutely immaculate and I could tell that Suzanne strived diligently to keep a beautiful home.

Even though it was late January, the days were getting noticeably longer. Shannon and Bridget were already there and Bridget gave me my customary bear hug upon arrival. Shannon and I simply embraced briefly, even though I could sense that both of us wanted to do more right on the spot, such was the building chemistry between us.

"Hello again, Patrick," Jack Sullivan said, extending his hand. His face had zero expression whatsoever.

"Hello Jack," I said cordially. "Thank you for inviting me to dinner."

"Dinner can wait," Jack said. "Before you take off your coat, I wonder if you might walk out to the barn with me and give me a hand with a couple of chores."

Suzanne and Shannon both exchanged 'oh shit' looks with each other. I decided that Jack would respect me more if I simply bucked up and faced him head on.

"Absolutely," I replied. "I'd be delighted to help out."

A huge cattle barn was located about 50 yards away from the house and garage. Jack and I walked the distance without saying a word. There were about 50 head of pregnant cows in that barn and I assisted Jack for about 30 minutes as we unloaded several large round bales of hay and placed them in steel hay feeders for them. The hungry heifers eagerly bit into their meal and Jack and I just watched them silently. As we stood at the gate watching, Jack finally spoke his mind.

"Suzanne and I lost two sons to miscarriages before Shannon was born. Even then, Shannon was a very difficult pregnancy for her. She spent most of the last three months on complete bed rest and the last three weeks actually in the hospital so we wouldn't lose her or the baby."

We walked slowly out of the barn and over to another large area where several massive breeding bulls were kept and were quietly munching through their own meal.

"Shannon being born was extremely hard on Suzanne's body. It just about tore her up. Her doctor told us that Shannon was the last child we would ever have. We got other opinions from other doctors and they all pretty much said the same thing." He turned look at me face-to-face. "Patrick, what I'm trying to tell you is that my daughter and my granddaughter mean more to me than anything else in my life. My wife and I struggled to bring a family into this world. I wasn't there to protect Shannon from that bastard Billy when she needed me. I wasn't there to protect Bridget when she needed me, either.

Suddenly, I could see tears in Jack's eyes. It was clear that his heart was breaking over his own perceived failures as a father and grandfather.

"But," he went on, gritting his teeth, "I swear to God that I will do what ever it takes to protect them now in whatever way I can. So my question for you, Mister Quinn, is what the hell are your intentions with my daughter and granddaughter? I know you're married and have kids of your own. So what the hell is going on between you and Shannon?"

My heart was racing and I was genuinely scared, scared of Jack. Not because he was a physical threat to me but I was afraid of losing his friendship and his respect. For some reason I really, really wanted both. I needed both. I saw him as an authority figure in my life and I needed his respect and admiration.

"My wife Clarissa has been having an affair for over two years with my boss, the Sheriff of Mason County," I said in a monotone voice. Jack's eyebrows arched and his eyes widened. "Furthermore, my boss has been plotting my professional demise in an attempt to eventually remove me by force not only from my job, but from the lives of my children as well. It was all set up by Bud Roberts and my wife, Clarissa, before I even started working for the Sheriff's department. I was just too dumb to figure it out. I just figured that all of the marital problems and emotional distance in my life with Clarissa would eventually work its way out but it hasn't. It finally came to a head last November when I caught them together in my own home, sans clothing, or most of their clothes anyway. Bud and I were supposed to be at a law enforcement conference in Minneapolis for two weeks. But he showed up late and left early so he could spend a few extra days with my wife."

Jack looked away from me, almost in shame. But I continued on.

"I have absolutely no idea what my future holds, Jack. Bud Roberts tried to orchestrate numerous crimes and charges to have me dismissed from the department at some point. The only two things I know for sure are that I'm going to get divorced from my wife. I've already spoken to Father Shane about it and he even agrees that the church will most likely grant me an annulment of my marriage. The only other thing that I'm sure of is that I am hopelessly in love with Shannon and Bridget. And if they will have me as a husband and father, I promise you and God above that I will love them, cherish them and protect them for the rest of my life."

After several moments of silence, Jack finally looked me in the eye once again. "I'm so sorry, Patrick. I had no idea. I can't even imagine what it must be like to have gone through what you did to save that little girl only to have your family abandon you."

"I want you to know something, Jack. When all of this is over with and Clarissa and I are divorced, I have absolutely every intention of asking Shannon to marry me. Will you allow that, Jack? Will you be my father-in-law and allow me the honor of taking your daughter's hand in marriage?"

The stoic look on Jack's face softened and genuine warmth appeared in his eyes. He stood up straight, his chest swelled with pride and he extended his hand. I took it eagerly.

"Patrick it would be an honor, an HONOR, to have you as a member of the family. When the time comes, I can't think of a better son-in-law to have." We embraced warmly and I could literally feel his love and respect flow from his body into mine.

We walked back up to the house for dinner and found Shannon and Suzanne in the huge kitchen while Bridget watched cartoons on the massive TV in the family room. I could see both ladies exhale in relief as it was obvious that Jack was in a much more jovial mood than he had been before our chat.

"Let's eat!" he bellowed and both women exchanged smiles and began bringing food to the table.

As she walked by me Shannon touched me lightly on the shoulder and whispered in my ear, "What the hell was that all about?"

"Later," I said. "Much, much later." Shannon gave me a wry smile and returned to the kitchen to bring out more food.

The meal was amazing, the conversation lively and the family companionship warm and comforting. As we sat there eating dessert afterwards, I couldn't control myself anymore and reached over to Shannon and took her hand in mine. Suzanne stole a quick glance towards Jack who simply returned it with a wink and a smile.

We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening in quiet company enjoying a beautiful fire in the massive stone fireplace in the family room and watched "The Wizard of Oz" and "The Sound of Music", both favorites of Shannon and Bridget. Bridget regaled us all as she sang along with every tune and knew them all by heart. I sat on the love seat with Shannon, my arm draped around her. With the ice now broken, there didn't seem to be a need for any more pretenses. Based on his reaction, Jack obviously didn't think so either.

I finally retired from their wonderful home and hospitality around 10 pm. I exchanged warm hugs with both Jack and Suzanne and asked Shannon to walk me to my truck. In the soft moonlight of a cold but calm January night, I kissed Shannon goodnight. I know she was dying to know what Jack and I had talked and again I told her that all would be revealed in good time. Before I left that night there was one final thing I needed to get off my chest.

"I love you, Shannon Elizabeth Sullivan. I love you with all of my heart and I will love you for the rest of your life."

She gasped and the tears started flowing. "I love you, too, Sean Patrick Quinn. So very, very much." We hugged for what seemed like forever but when it was over, seemed so very brief.

I watched her in my rear view mirror as she stood in the driveway watching me until I was out of sight.

As I drove back to the motel I punched in the numbers on my phone and made a call. My boys were at my sister Beth's house for the weekend playing with their cousins, which meant that I knew full well where Clarissa and Bud Roberts were at. I had made it clear to Clarissa that I had no intention of coming anywhere near the farm this weekend and Bud had made it clear to everyone that he would be "out of town" this weekend on county business. Apparently, that county business would include sticking his penis into my whorish wife's cunt. After the fourth ring Bud Roberts finally answered.

"I'm busy," he said.

"Yeah, well you don't sound out of breath right now so I can assume that you're done fucking my soon-to-be-ex-wife for a little while. So you're not that busy that you can't talk for a bit."

"Why do you insist on pissing me off, Patrick?" he sighed.

"Just shut up and listen, Bud. Since I already know where you're at and what you're doing, there isn't any point in pretending. I want you and Clarissa to know it is over. I'm done playing this game. I've resigned myself to the fact that whatever is going to happen is going to happen. All I'm asking for is a chance to sit down with you and Clarissa and work out the details. I should think that we can all be civil long enough to do that, don't you think?"

"Are you drunk or something, Patrick? Because it almost sounds like you're attempting to be reasonable for a change," Bud said with a sarcastic laugh.

"I'm dead serious, Bud. All I'm asking for is a chance to work out a fair arrangement between all of us. As long as you don't try and fuck me over with my job I'll concede that my marriage to Clarissa is over with. I'm doing this out of respect for Clarissa and our boys."

"When do you want to do this?"

"Let's do it tomorrow afternoon, two o'clock, out at the farm. The boys won't be back from my sister's place until supper time. That should give us plenty of time to talk."

"Okay, Patrick. Fair enough. I'll see you then."

"Be sure to give Clarissa a hug and a squeeze for me," I said with a grin.

"I'll do th -- uh, what?" Bud said, confused. I ended the call before he got an answer.

So the big meeting with Clarissa and Bud was set. Everything was falling into place. But there was one more player to invite to the game to make it all complete. I thumbed another number into the phone and punched send. The recipient of my call was none-too-happy.

*********

I arrived out at the farm precisely at two o'clock. My mystery guest had not arrived at this point but I was absolutely certain that he would do whatever he could to make an appearance. His life, as he knew it, and his career depended on it.

I let myself into the house. After all, it was STILL my house. And if everything went according to plan, it would still be my house for many years to come.

Bud Roberts and Clarissa were standing in the living room waiting for me. Bud extended his hand to me and I mustered up the will to shake it.

"Patrick. Glad you could make it. I think I speak for both Clarissa and I when I say that we're both going to be happy to put this all behind us and move forward. Can I get you something to drink?" He and Clarissa were each nursing a glass of wine, no doubt to help take the edge off what we were all expecting to be a tense and unpleasant meeting. My fake chipper attitude as I walked in seemed to help take the edge off a little more.

1...2021222324...26