Badge of Betrayal

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jude Palmer took the microphone for one final time and dismissed the assembled guests. They quickly disbursed and headed downstairs for Bud Roberts' retirement reception. Before he could get away, I called Chris Hayes back towards the podium.

"Hey, Chris! Got a second?"

"Sure thing, Sheriff. What do you need?"

"One of my last acts as Chief Deputy was to prepare a final notice to be served. And one of your duties as Lieutenant now is to serve those notices and warrants when necessary. And so, as your first official act as a Lieutenant on the Mason County Sheriff's Department, I am assigning you to officially serve this notice. Think you can handle that?"

Chris took a moment to open the manila envelope and briefly gazed at the title page of the notice.

PETITION FOR DIVORCE

Sean Patrick Quinn, Jr., Plaintiff

Vs

Clarissa Marie Quinn, Defendant

Chris broke out into a huge smile. "I think I can handle that, Sheriff. Consider it done."

"Atta boy," I said, patting him on the back. And with that Lieutenant Christopher Hayes took the first steps towards my impending divorce.

I headed downstairs towards the reception for Bud Roberts, shaking hands with attendees, deputies and well-wishers along the way. I wouldn't see Shannon and her family again until tonight when I would meet them out at the ranch for a private celebration, followed by what I hoped would be some more "celebrating" at Shannon's later that night. It was my intent to show up for dinner tonight as her lover and leave there as her fiancé. My right hand reached in my pocket and made sure that the small ring box was still there.

As I entered the reception room for Bud's retirement party he glanced over at me and our eyes locked with one another. My own eyes narrowed and I had a smirk on my face, which did little to hide my obvious contempt for the man. Bud knew it, too, and gave me a sheepish wave, a smile and nod of his head.

That's right you son-of-a-bitch.

Get used to it.

There's a new Sheriff in town!!!

The End