Best of Intentions Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ethel's brother Morton, an attorney, got us to copyright our program and he set up a corporation for us. I was president (no one else wanted it), Harry was vice-president, (I want a buffer between me and complaining customers, and that's you John) and Ethel was the Secretary/Treasurer. Ethel was our money person; she could stretch a dollar until it screamed, and we really needed to stretch all of our dollars.

Slowly as we built our reputation, the business picked up. We had just finished installing a rather complicated system for a client, Frank Mitchell, another friend of Peter's and he was really happy about it. I had the job of starting it up and went back a couple of weeks later to insure that everything was running.

Frank called me into his office and said, "John, I am really happy with what you and 3G have done. I have a friend in the IT department of a big bio-medical corporation down town and they are looking for someone to design and install some sort of system."

"Well, I was raving about the work that you guys did for me and he told me to have you put in a proposal. I have what they are looking for and the specs here. It's not a really big job, and I know that you could handle it."

He gave me the specs and I began to look them over. I broke into a big grin and said, "Damn, this stuff is right up Ethel's alley, she loves working with this."

Frank Laughed, "Well get back to the office and draw up the proposal. When you're finished let Peter and I look it over. I more or less know that they want, other than the technical stuff and well Peter knows business."

Two days later, I was back in Frank's office with a proposal, Peter was also there. They looked it over closely. The only change they wanted was the money, they insisted that I triple it. They told me that if I came in too low that the company would think we didn't know what we were doing. I made the change and sent it in.

Two weeks later I got a call from the IT department asking that we come down and give a presentation of what we would do. I told him that we would be there.

I hung up the phone and turned to Ethel and Harry and said, "That IT guy wants a presentation ...who wants to go."

Both of them went into a panic, they couldn't do it, "We freeze up in front of people. You have to do it John. We would blow it, bad."

I had known that I would get that reaction but I always did it. I was the people man. I didn't mind. We would all work on it and Harry always knew what questions that I would be asked. I would be prepared.

Three days later I was downtown, in a conference room making a presentation in my only suit. I thought that it went well.

Frank was really happy, obviously they liked the proposal and this was like the final four, you are in the running.

About a week and a half later we received a large envelope, hand delivered, with an acceptance letter and a contract.

Ethel made a quick copy and ran out of the office, yelling, "I have to bring this to Morty. He has to look it over."

Forty-five minutes later, Ethel was back with Morty's seal of approval.

I then called the IT guy and he told me that I would have to meet with the big boss and then sign the papers. Could I be there on Thursday at 1:00 pm? I paused for a second and then told him I would be there.

I hung up and did an Indian war dance around the office. Joined, of course by Harry and Ethel.

On Thursday afternoon, I was at their office at 12:45 pm and met with my IT contact for a short while. He then escorted me to the big boss' office. He was telling me that the decision had been made and meeting with the big boss was really just a formality. There would be no problem; just as long as I didn't throw up on her shoes. I laughingly told him that I would do my best to hold my lunch down.

He left me with the secretary, who said, "Please go right in, Mr. Coleridge, you are expected."

I walked into this huge office and closed the door behind me. There was no one sitting behind the desk. Then I heard a voice from the side of the room, "Hello, Johnnie."

Even before I turned, I smiled and said, "Hello, Phyllis."

To be continued. Let me know.