Blood Bonds Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

-Sorry. I forgot you've never had anyone in your head before, much less me. It's a weird experience. Open your eyes.-

"Oh..." was all the girl could whisper.

The night was suddenly alive with color. The book had been right, succubi did see auras. The dark night meant nothing. Talera in front of her glowed darkly with a malevolent red fire, interspersed with bursts of pure blackness. Glancing at the riders around her, the mortal saw them as their own unique combinations of colored glows. The rest of the night was alive as well, plants glowing faintly green, glimpses of pale blue that must have been animals in the forests lining the highway.

"Is this how you always see the world?" Sarah murmured, blinking slowly, studying Talera's glowing form.

-When my eyes are open— I mean, when they're black like this, yes. It has its drawbacks. If I want to see the physical, I have to shut it down. Can't see real colors at all.-

"This is so cool. I can... see... everything. Any way to make this permanent?"

-You want it?-

"What do you mean? To be a succubus? You're offering me that?"

-I'd never deny you. You should know that by now.-

"Well, yeah. I just... I never thought of it that way... I don't know what to say..."

-You don't have to say anything. Just keep it in mind.-

Sarah just closed her eyes, resting her head against the side of her friend's, letting her mind go blank as the night flew past. Now was not the time to consider things like magic and immortality, and she knew Talera wasn't expecting an answer.

The ride to the City flashed by seemingly in an instant, and in no time, their mixed Pack was roaring down narrow Manhattan streets. As they passed luxurious homes packed tightly into classic city blocks, Sarah caught flashes of people inside, sensed the urban life teeming around her.

She felt more than saw the flash of gunfire, felt Talera gasp , heard the sickening thud of impact. With a shriek, Sarah hugged the demon tightly as the big bike started to go down. Then all at once, Talera's wings unfurled around her, catching the wind and with a violent jerk, they were free of the falling Harley. As they were swept back past the Pack, Sarah saw them slam their own bikes to a stop, smoothly avoiding the sparks as Talera's bike skidded to a graceless halt on the pavement.

Taylor landed hard, her legs buckling beneath her, bringing Sarah to her knees as well, surrounded protectively by the leathery wings. Letting her friend go, Sarah felt the breeze slice across something wet on the backs of her hands. Understanding what Talera meant by the drawbacks of seeing auras, Sarah inspected her hands, seeing only the angry red of Taylor's signature spread across her own light green glow. The realization hit suddenly. Blood. And it wasn't hers.

Eyes flying to the demon's back, Sarah watched as her aura went completely black, expanding far from the core of her body.

Sarah heard the clicks of weapons all around her. Taylor lowered the wings as she stumbled to her feet, breath rattling in her chest. The mortal girl gasped as she discovered the Pack was surrounded on the deserted street by a group of people, shadows of big guns blocking some of their glow.

Talera coughed wetly and spat blood, the metallic whisper of her claws extending echoing in the silence.

"Stand down!" Talera commanded voice rough. "This is fight is mine."

The auras of the Wolves, who had taken up protective positions around the two females, calmed slightly. Sarah felt hands take her by both arms, gently pulling her away from her friend. Talera's power flicked off as the mortal was separated from her, letting Sarah see the scene finally in true color. Glancing up, she saw it was Pershing and Quentin who held her. The Alpha nodded to the other wolf, who took Sarah tightly in his arms. Feeling his entire body tighten and then expand, Sarah realized he'd just launched them into a super-human leap, dropping them lightly onto a rooftop across the street from the confrontation.

"Stay back," he muttered. "If one of them takes a shot at you, she'll never forgive me."

"I have to help her!" Sarah cried, ringing her hands in panic and rushing to the edge of the roof. "She's hit. She's bleeding!"

Quentin caught her in his strong arms, holding her to his chest protectively, but turning to the side, shielding her with his body while allowing her to see the action below.

"She can handle it. She's been hurt worse than that before. Right now, she just needs to make sure you're safe."

Sarah sobbed, pressing her face into his warm body for a moment, letting him stroke her hair. Then she focused her attention on the street below.

Talera, in full demonic glory, blood sparkling on the front of the black leather corset and streaming down her right leg, faced off against the band of men, Pershing at her side. The rest of the pack, their own vicious claws out, fangs bared, eyes blood red, snarled behind the two. The attackers, twenty of them, serious-looking guns pointed at the Pack, were dressed like commandos in dark grey camouflage, headsets connecting all of them.

The obvious leader of the aggressors stepped forward, voice echoing off the close walls.

"That was a warning shot, demon," he snarled. "The next one kills you and your little kitten up there. Don't think the mongrel can actually protect her."

A feral growl rumbled from the depths of Quentin's chest, and he hugged her a little closer.

"I wondered when your little band of mercenaries would try something, Franklin," Talera said almost conversationally. "I see, you didn't learn anything from the last bunch's failed attempt."

"We're prepared to deal with you, freak. They didn't have the skills or the training we do."

"Really?" she asked, arching a brow, beating her wings once slowly, whispering something in Vampyr.

Sarah couldn't see that she'd done anything, but maybe two-thirds of the men gasped, backing up a step from her, dropping their guns, pressing their fists into their ears or temples.

The lead Hunter barked an order at them, which was ineffective as two more of the troops fell to their knees, heads bowed in agony.

Sarah's heart skipped a beat as a tall, blonde man with glowing golden eyes, dressed in dark jeans and a light blue t-shirt appeared beside them. With his flowing golden hair, high European cheekbones and pale, flawless complexion, he appeared young, though it was obvious that he was not.

"Evening, Tiberius," the man said, his voice deep, but light and very soothing, an English accent shaping his words as well. "Nice to see you again."

"ʼLo, Andrew," the werewolf replied calmly as they both watched the stand-off below. Sarah gaped at the two of them. "I see you're on clean-up duty tonight. She's hit pretty good this time."

"Yes, their aim is getting better. Unfortunately."

"As she gets closer to the big night..."

"Yes, it's only going to get worse," the blonde vampire sighed, shaking his head. He turned and regarded the mortal in Quentin's grasp.

"Are you alright?" he asked her, looking her over closely. Sarah just nodded once quickly, eyes like half-dollars. The man smiled and touched her cheek lightly.

"Why is she drawing it out?" Quentin asked, frowning down at the scene.

"She doesn't want to kill them in front of Sarah here."

"I thought she was toying with them," Quentin said, smiling marginally. "I know she's got it in her, but I've never seen her let it out before like this."

"Love, just do it," Andrew said to Talera, though his volume remained the same, crossing his arms over his chest. "They've threatened the girl as well, remember. She's going to see it at some point. Would you like me to do it?"

Down on the street, the demon flashed him a sneer, then raising her arms slowly, she rose slightly off the ground. The Hunters, already terrified, pressed together pitifully. Shaking her head, Talera murmured a low, thrumming chant, sending all of them to their knees. A low moan escaped each man's lips, many falling onto their sides. Sarah's hands flew up to cover her mouth, watching, through some echo of Talera's earlier link with her, as the life energy of each man flowed out of their bodies, swirling around the demon. With a weak flash, the spark died in each soul, shimmering around Taylor, whose body went limp as well, crumpling to the pavement. Pershing was there in a flash, catching her with a grunt, holding her upright.

"Talera!" Sarah shrieked, but Quentin held her fast. "Let me go!"

"It's okay," he whispered in her ear, stroking her hair. "She'll be fine."

Andrew sighed shortly, and Sarah's eyes darted to the blonde vampire at their side. He raised a hand in the air, muttering something in a language the girl didn't recognize, and on the street, the lifeless husks burst into blue flames. Within seconds the bodies were reduced to dark smears on the cooling pavement.

*

"Is she gonna be okay?" Sarah asked the vampire when he emerged from the bedroom, running a hand through his shimmering hair.

"Yes, love. She's just fine. Our blood can heal most injuries," he said softly, laying a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"But she passed out..."

"Just a reaction to her power. Her... demon side... wanted to take in their life energy, but she wanted nothing to do with it. She shut down her body rather than let it dominate her. She's a remarkable creature. Go on in, she's awake. I'll be out here if you need me."

The girl nodded, swallowing hard, and pushed open the door, letting her eyes adjust to the darkness of the room. A couple of candles on a distant table burst to life, lending their wavering golden glow. Like the rest of the house, which Sarah took to be Andrew's, though no one had clarified, the room was a study in simplicity. The walls were a light cream with furnishings and decorations to match. Against the white sheets, Talera, on her side, wings draped over the far edge of the bed, looked distinctly out of place.

Her eyes flickered open as Sarah settled into the comfortable armchair pulled up next to her.

"Did the Pack get off okay?" the demon asked, voice soft.

"Yeah, Pershing said he'd call you. They brought your bike into the garage downstairs," Sarah replied, looking her friend over slowly.

"You okay?" she asked after a moment, seeing no injuries.

"I'm fine. Sarah... if you want to go home, it's cool. I can-"

"Taylor. Shut. Up."

The demon closed her mouth, quirking her crimson lips to the side, eyes clearing to their human state.

"Good. Just... I'm trying to wrap my head around this, okay? Give me some answers for once," Sarah said, sighing, rubbing her eyes. "This has been the craziest night of my life. Were they going to kill you?"

She received a nod in response, so she continued.

"Were they going to kill me?"

"They wanted to. I won't let that happen. Not if I can help it, anyway."

"Why do they want you dead so badly?"

Talera regarded her for a moment, then shrugged one shoulder.

"I have the potential to be very, very evil. They don't want to take the chance."

"What you did..."

"I can take life energy. That's what distinguishes me from a succubus. Or most other demons. What makes me scary."

"Do you do that...often?"

"God, no," she replied with a dry chuckle. "I don't like doing it. Well, some part of me does, but, uhm, it's not pleasant to..."

She trailed off, taking a shuddering breath, eyes fluttering.

"To the good parts?" Sarah guessed.

"Yeah."

Face tightening in pain, the demon squeezed her eyes shut, bowing her head. All at once, her embellishments vanished, and she was just a tired girl in a very large bed, tears glinting in her green eyes.

"Does this happen to you... more than we know?"

"A few times. They've never tried anything with you guys around. Usually wait until I'm alone."

Sarah sighed rubbing the bridge of her nose, leaning back in the chair. When she opened her eyes, Taylor had relaxed back into the pillows, eyes closed. Rising, Sarah reached out to touch her friend's hair lightly.

"We both need sleep. And a beach. Do you really have a place in Fiji?"

"Yep," Taylor said, looking up at her, smiling faintly.

"We're going there tomorrow. Look, I'm not going to lose sleep over all this, so... Don't leave me when you're Turned. I know it's coming up fast. Okay?"

Taylor just nodded, eyes lowering then meeting Sarah's once more. Returning the gesture, Sarah waved one hand and walked out of the room.