By the Bay Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When she pulled away and donned her robe, he let her go, the potent taste of her lips still on his. His eyes looked their fill of her body before it was covered, knowing that it was probably the only time he'd be able to see her naked skin. God, she was perfect in every way. Damn society and convention! In his heart, he knew that she would never be able to wait for him until she was thirty, even if she wanted to. The world was too cruel to spinsters, and eventually, she'd succumb to the pressure and marry a suitor that came along.

"I'll wait for you," she said, her eyes wide and swimming with tears again.

He didn't reply. Instead, he looked away from her until she'd left the room.

*

The Island

Dinner that night was later than usual. Jay had left the house late in the afternoon, and it had taken him a while to return. She didn't ask him where he'd been to, only because if he'd wanted her to know, he would've told her.

Meera joined them for dinner, apologizing again for the mishap a few days ago. Anita was pleased to see that her sister was taking to Jay; in truth, she'd been quite afraid about Meera's prejudice against men. Perhaps if Anita could use Jay as an example of a good man, she would be able to get Meera to agree to marriage...

Surprisingly, it was Meera and Jay's conversation that dominated dinner. Anita ate her food quietly, barely able to get a word in as Jay and Meera talked about the publishing world. Jay seemed to know a lot about that topic, and Meera was interested to hear anything about it. Anita got lost in the conversation when it came down to the technical terms, but she was happy that her sister and Jay had found something in common to speak about.

She was clearing the table after dinner when she heard the commotion outside. It sounded like someone was causing a ruckus. Frowning, she set the dirty dishes in the basin before walking to the front door to inspect the source of the noise. Jay met her at the foyer, having bounded down the stairs after hearing the noise as well. He pushed her behind him and unlocked the door.

There was just one man, standing on the street, clearly drunk. He was screaming in a mixture of languages, and from what Jay could fathom, it was something about treachery.

"Who is it?" Anita asked from behind him, giving up her futile attempts of tiptoeing to look over Jay's shoulder.

"I don't know," Jay whispered back. "Some bloke way into his cups."

"Let me see," she said, and wiggled her way to Jay's front. She noted with no little amount of feminine satisfaction, that Jay's arm curled protectively around her waist as she did so.

The satisfaction fled, however, when she caught sight of the drunken man in front of the house.

"Mama!" she cried, mostly in shock.

"Your uncle?" Jay questioned, his voice mirroring shock as well.

"I - yes. But – no, it's completely unlike him to drink. What in heaven – Jay, I have to go to him." She tried to dislodge his arm, but he wouldn't let go.

"He looks dangerous, sweetheart. And he's drunk. He might hurt you."

"No, he won't. Trust me."

He read the plea in her eyes and let her go. She ran down the front steps, rushing to the man who'd paused for breath in his litany.

"What's happening?" came another voice from behind him.

He turned to find Meera questioning him. She took one look at the scene before her and summed it up.

"What is Mama doing here?"

"Other than being a nuisance, I'm not quite sure."

She shot him a withering look before descending the stairs and coming up behind her sister.

*

"Mama... Mama..."

The man had collapsed, still murmuring, sitting up against the fence. When Anita pulled the fence open, he fell flat on the floor, eyes closed. Not knowing what to do, Anita tapped him across the face a few times, but he didn't awaken. Meera padded towards them and looked down at her uncle, frowning.

"Meera, go and get a glass of water."

As her sister went into the house to do her bidding, Anita tried shaking the man awake again. By the gods, was he drunk. She'd never seen Sami like this before. He was always such a responsible man, so in control of himself... what could have possibly driven him to drink?

When Meera returned with the glass of water, Anita splashed a handful of it on his face. When that didn't work, she poured the entire glass of water over his head. He sputtered and awakened, swiping the water from his face. His eyes were red, and it took a while for him to discern where he was.

When he did, he turned blazing eyes to Anita.

"You!"

Anita took a hesitant step back, suddenly afraid of the dangerous glow in her uncle eyes. She pulled Meera away from him, just in case. When Sami tried to stand, Jay descended the steps and put both women behind him.

"You!" Sami pointed a finger at Jay's chest, still teetering on unsure footing. "You defiled her. The queen of my heart. You defiled her!"

He heard Anita gasp, and he raised his eyebrows at the drunken man. "What are you talking about?"

"Everyone knows. Everyone... I thought she was pure, like untouched gold... she was the woman of my dreams and you defiled her!"

Anita felt dread creep into her soul. She swallowed thickly. "Mama, what are you talking about?"

"Don't talk to me you wretched little..." He trailed off before shaking his head. "Oh lord, she breaks my heart and I can't even find the words to chastise her."

"What? Me? You're not making sense, Mama. You're drunk. Do you want me to get you a hackney to go home? It's late. Your wife must be worried."

"My wife? Mywife? I can't care less about that woman. Why must you do this to me, Anita? Why?"

She was about to respond when Jay stopped her. "What exactly did she do?"

Sami jabbed him in the chest with a finger, an action that sent Sami teetering backwards on unsure footing. "The whole island knows that she's your keep. Don't play innocent with me."

Jay felt Anita's fingernails digging into his arm. He could almost smell her panic. He would not let this happen to her.

"And who spread this rumor about her?"

Sami laughed, but it was a sad sound. "Rumor? It's no rumor. Which lord would protect his maid the way you put yourself between me and her? I might be drunk, but I'm not stupid."

Anita's voice trembled. "Mama, please, don't think the worst..."

"How could I not? I love you, Anita."

There was a shocked silence, during which Anita tried to sort out everything in her mind.

"But you can't! You're married!" was the only thing that left her mouth seconds later.

"I don't care."

"But we – we're just friends."

"That's enough." It was Jay. His voice was hard. She'd never heard him use that voice before. "I think it's time for you to go home."

"No! No, I want to know why. Why did you do it, Anita? Why did you give yourself to this man? I would've offered you marriage, a house, children! You would've given me sons. I would've loved you more than anything."

"More than your wife?"

"Enough! Anita, Meera – wait for me inside. I'll send this man home."

"No, I want an answer!" Sami struggled drunkenly against Jay's hold on his shirt.

"Go inside, Anita."

Anita was pretty sure she was bleeding inside. The confused pain was unbearable. But she obeyed Jay and took Meera into the house. She didn't know what Jay did with Sami, but she waited patiently, saying not a word, until he came home.

*

Beau laid his head on Anita's lap as she waited for Jay to return. Oh, she was so confused! Why was Sami rambling about lovingher?How could he offer marriage to her when he was already married? Unless... She gasped. He wanted her as his second wife? That was preposterous! Anita would never take a man away from his wife and children. It was an unforgivable sin. But what had made Sami think that she wanted him to marry her? What had made him think he was in love with her?

Everyone knows. Everyone...

She was afraid that what he'd said wasn't simply the ramblings of a drunken man. What if everyone knew about her relationship with Jay? It would ruin her completely. She didn't even want to think of the possibility that...

The front door opened, and Jay walked in looking harried and disgruntled. She looked up and their eyes met. Hers were distraught and confused; his were apologetic. Meera sat by the window, watching the tangible connection they shared.

There was a silence in the house. None of them could think of something to say. Even Beau felt uncomfortable, for he buried himself deeper in Anita's lap.

"I want to believe that what he said was just a drunken man's rambling," Jay said finally.

"Me too," Anita replied softly.

"But it isn't, is it?" Meera chimed in.

"I don't know, Meera," Anita replied, desperation and worry tingeing her voice. "I don't know."

"But I might."

Twin pairs of feminine eyes looked at him expectantly.

"What? What do you know?" Anita prodded, rising to her feet. Beau bounded to the floor and set up housekeeping there.

He looked straight at Anita. "I went into town just now to get a letter posted. I had to walk past the market to get there, and I felt people looking at me the whole while. It felt odd, but I didn't give it much importance... then. Now I'm beginning to understand."

It was coming. What she'd dreaded.

"I think they know, Anita."

Anita turned away from him and faced Meera. "Go to bed, Meera. It's getting late."

"But-."

"Now."

Meera desperately wanted to stay, but she didn't want to upset her sister more than she already was. So she dragged her feet back to her room.

"Anita, I'm sorry -."

"No, don't. It's not your fault."

"It is. I propositioned you."

"But I accepted it."

"Anita -."

"I've made my decision and now I have to accept the consequences." She raised stricken eyes to his.

He prided her for being strong as he pulled her into an embrace. She clung to him, feeling shaken and unsure. She could just imagine what they were saying about her.Like mother, like daughter.But she wasn't like her mother, she wasn't! She just...wanted Jay.

Jay let her scent envelop him. He had to be strong for her. He knew this was her worst nightmare and it was because of him that she had to face such a consequence in her life. He wished he could take everything away and make it better for her. He didn't want her to hurt; just the thought of it made his insides burn. But he didn't know what to do to or say to comfort her.

"I just... I don't know how he knew. How did everyone find out?" Her voice was muffled against his sweater.

"My best guess would be the other maid."

"Nanthini? Do you think she's seen us?"

"There's no way to know. I doubt she'll admit it even if we ask her. But the truth is out, sweetheart. What are we going to do?"

"Live with it, just like my mother did. It won't be easy – most definitely. But I will-." Her voice cracked, and Jay cursed himself again for putting her in that position. She buried her nose against his solid form, taking comfort in his strong embrace. He was the pillar in her life, for the moment. She'd always been independent, needing no one to tell her how to live her life, but this man had changed her so much, given her so much. She needed him too much to give him up just so that people would stop talking. Her selfish heart wouldn't let her.

It hit him only when he heard her sniffle. He could, without a doubt, make everything better. It was in his power to give her a new life – at least until the scandal blew over. He tilted her head up, noting the unshed tears, the confusion, the guilt. And he kissed her, a sweet, long testament of his affection.

Then he said, "Come to England with me."

*

I hope you enjoyed the latest of BTB. Please leave a comment to let me know what you think! I'd really appreciate even the littlest comment/encouragement.

Thanks,

Lily (:

12