All Comments on 'Celtic Love Ch. 01'

by ccollins2009

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
I like it!

It's got my blood a-boilin'.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Interesting, but not quite authentically celtic...

Gerrard - not an Irish name. Gerard is the spelling. "Milord" would not have been an expression that someone would use. Roman invasions - not a concern. They tried twice, according to folklore, and both expeditions were never heard of again. Barclay is not a Scots name, and Edana not an Irish name.

ccollins2009ccollins2009over 11 years agoAuthor
Thank you for the feedback.

Thank you both for the feedback! While this story is fiction and does stray a little from what little known history there is about the Celtics I would like to learn more if anyone has more information. This story is on going so please keep your eyes out for Chapter 2. Thank you again.

canndcanndover 11 years ago

I did have the same thought about the name and the milord part. I don't think it is important to get years and places right, as a story that is fiction is your work and the setting is yours to determine. But, I agree, it helps draw the reader in for a big detail like that to be right. Hearing an celtic name and and some terms they use would help the imagination and since 'Celtic' is in the title you want to transport the reader there. It's easy enough to look it up on the internet, so I'm sure you will.

I would like to know more about how they met and what their past is b/c they mention how long they've waited for one another. Also, it felt unclear whether Aidan would accept her choice, so it will be good if you let on to his history with Aidan. What was Aidan's relationship with his father? I assume they were contemporaries. Did their children meet when they worked together? Maybe a flashback to when they met and then a bit down the road when she was still too young but was old enough to know she wanted him. I hope you can establish that he knows things about her and that they have more than a superficial liking for one another and now a sexual bond too.

Look forward to more.

ccollins2009ccollins2009over 11 years agoAuthor
Love talking with my readers!

cannd- I did look the names up before I started this project. I was just trying to be polite last night because I didn't want to come across as argumentative. I love hearing from the readers.

Edana means, "Little fire" in Irish Celtic. Barclay means, "The Scot." As Gerrard, I did change the spelling on his name but his name is still Irish. Please remember that there were at least 3 different groups of Celtics in 3 different regions of what we know as Europe. They didn't have written language so what people actually know about them is limited.

As for background info on the characters, it's coming. This was just a kick off to a much larger story. I'm thrilled to see that people want to know more about these characters and you will get more from them! Chapter 2 should be ready here in next few weeks.

Thank you all for your comments and, please, keep them coming!

Scotsman69Scotsman69over 11 years ago
The Romans

did get to Bretagne, Cornwall, Wales, and Scotland, all of which are Celtic. Though their stay in Scotland didn't last long. We didn't like them much.

ccollins2009ccollins2009over 11 years agoAuthor
Romans

Another person pointed out that the Romans never settled into Ireland and that is right but they did try. As for if the Irish Celtics were worried about it is up for debate because we don't know. I would imagine,though, if I had just heard about an army marching across several countries I would be worried about it and for the sake of this story we're going to say they were. Call it literary license, if you like. :)

The Romans did manage to take over the better part of Scotland but were eventually pushed back due to lack of supplies, lost of men, and around this time the Roman empire was starting to crumble. They were just extended too far. Also, around this time the Gauls turned on them and they were having to split their forces to deal with the threat.

As always, I'd like to remind people that this is a work of fiction and not a historical piece. I will always try to stay close to the facts but, as with all fiction, I will take some liberties. Thank you all for your feedback!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous