Chicago Love Story Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It means the guy is being a gentleman and giving me my space," she snapped. "Get over yourself. This doesn't mean I'm running into your arms at all."

"Izzy," he whispered, shocked. "That's not what I meant at all. Please- you have to know that."

She glared at him, her eyes full of fire. She stared at him intently, looked as though she wanted to say something, then she moved away without another word. She kept herself scarce to the world for the rest of the day. As Josh tried to approach her after everyone had left, she put her hand up to him as the signal to go away.

"You want to shield yourself away from all this crazy reality, Izzy, but the truth is, I'm here. You can't walk away from it all because you know you still care about me, and unfortunately I have to share the space in your heart with someone else. I'm sorry for what I said to you earlier today. I'll be happy to give you your space, but don't keep me away for too long, ok?"

She nodded without looking up at him and felt his presence for a few more seconds before he left. She did the thing she hated to do and simply put her hands to her face and cried. She felt the burdens washed away even for just the slightest amount of time, and it felt refreshing. Why couldn't life just be simple for once? Why did one of the men she cared for have to be hurt by all this? She hated to hurt anyone. As she closed her eyes, she imagined a pair of arms around her, gentle lips kissing away her tears, telling her everything was going to be okay. Hands brushed away her hair, a voice told her he loved her, and she saw herself telling him she loved him, as well. That was it. It was enough. Her vision made her heart feel right... at least she thought it did. She was too afraid to say his name outloud yet, so she didn't. She needed to be absolutely certain before she made any drastic moves.

Jeff stood out alone on his balcony, searching the broad expanse of Manhattan sprawled out before him. There was an emptiness within him. He closed his eyes and pictured himself a year and a half ago when he had signed the final divorce papers. This didn't even compare. His dissolution from Michelle had brought about a relief, and as he hugged Michelle one last time, they had laughed together, greatful that the legalities and tortured divorce proceedings were now behind them. They were free, and there were no regrets. All he saw now was a future ahead of him without Isabelle. He wondered if she was with him now....

Chicago. He missed it, but more than that, he missed the beautiful someone who lived there. Manhattan seemed like a barren, deserted island despite the lights, the sirens, and the masses of people who existed there. He once believed that the whole world ended and began in this little niche, but without Isabelle it was nothing. He sighed and went back into his apartment. Alone.

Two weeks passed slowly as Isabelle simply existed. She had limited contact with Josh and sent text messages only in passing to Jeff. She tried to shy away from having to deal with either of them, but it was Josh who broke the silence.

"Bears play Philly Sunday night," he said shyly on their lunch break. "Any way I could twist your arm into going with me?"

She looked up at him in surprise from her laptop, smiling. Her heart leapt, as it was a rare occasion that she turned down the opportunity to go see her favorite football team. She couldn't get enough of the sport.

"That sounds fantastic," she said gently. "You know I can't turn down an offer like that."

Sunday rolled around before she could even blink, and the Bears finished off with a 24-20 victory. She felt a little hoarse from yelling, but it was worth it.

The evening was unusually warm for an autumn night in Chicago. She strolled lazily along Roosevelt Avenue with Josh amidst the hundreds of fans exiting Soldier Field heading towards the El.

"Is it totally crazy of me to ask if you'd like to go grab something to eat, or maybe just go and talk somewhere?" Josh asked, taking her arm so she wouldn't get washed up among the throngs of excited fans.

"We can just head back to my place."

Pixie greeted them happily. Josh picked her up and petted her before settling in on the couch. Izzy returned with two bottles of beer. She sat down next to him carefully and began to discuss the game.

"I think you're so hot for so many reasons, Isabelle," he laughed. "I mean, what other hot chick drinks beer and can throw down stats from a football game?"

They both laughed, and Izzy admitted to herself it felt great to relax again and be jovial with him. They both remixed the game and the exciting details. Both had polished off several beers when they noticed it was midnight.

"It feels like old times again, Josh," she said gently. "Like, before we slept together. Remember the friendship we used to have?"

"It was golden," he sighed as he leaned back, eyeing her appreciatively. He had to admit it. He had always missed the comfortable relationship the two of them had shared before things had gotten sexual. He didn't deny the sex had been stellar, but what was donning on him was that this... the exciting game, the friendly chitchat, the comfortable silence between them now... Maybe that's what he'd been missing. It was almost like a lightbulb went off in his head when he sat up and took her hand.

"We're not in love with each other, are we?" He said poignantly. He eyed her speculatively and waited.

"I don't think we are," she replied, her eyes sympathetic. "We gave it a good shot. And let's not forget how good the sex was. But, as boyfriend and girlfriend... It just didn't work out, did it?"

"I think we were destined for friendship," he said after a moment. "I think all along I was missing this."

"When I was in New York, I missed talking to you. I longed so many times just to be able to call you and laugh again. To tell you about all the crazy people and things I saw there."

He laughed, tossing his head back and truly letting himself go. He had led himself to believe that he was in love with her when all along, it was their friendship that had been the tie that bound them. When he told her this, she nodded.

"I realized it tonight when the Defense was able to hold off the Eagles on the 1 yard line," she giggled. "We were standing there screaming and cheering together. I just looked over at you and it was so aparent. We make a great team, buddy, and I love you. I'm just not in love with you."

He sat silently for a moment, his crystalline blue eyes thoughtful, perhaps even a little bittersweet. He thought back to all that had transpired the past year. It had all begun in January when he had given her flowers. It had seemed like a good idea at the time, but now in retrospect, it was obvious they had tried to force something that simply wasn't meant to be.

"I agree totally," she replied after he told her as much, and she took his hand in hers. "But, we have something really special, you and me. We have a friendship that has endured a lot of drama."

They were silent for a moment, but then Josh spoke. "You love him, don't you," he said gently.

"Yeah, I do," she replied. "That I've known for a while. I was just scared to admit it."

"So," he said softly, clearing his throat. "What the hell are you waiting for? New York is waiting for you."

It wasn't long before he had helped her bake up a plan to surprise him. Luckily, when she called Bradlee to help out, she wasn't too angry that Izzy had called and woke her at one am New York time.

"Thank Heaven, you made up your mind," she burst, making Izzy smile a wide and crazy smile. "I'd be happy to help out. Don't you worry, sweetheart. He's going to be smiling forever now. It's been a freakin' morgue around the office. He's miserable."

"Thank you, Bradlee," she said before hanging up. "You can't imagine how much I appreciate your help."

"So it's all settled then?" Josh asked hopefully, a small bit of wistfulness aparent in his voice.

"I think it is," she said as she rummaged through her closet for her suitcase. She came out and faced him, eyeing him bittersweetly. She threw her arms around him and felt him hold her closely.

"You're amazing, Izzy," he said gently. "Jeff's really lucky to have you. I'm happy you've found happiness. I mean, I wish... I still wish maybe it could've been different for us, but having your friendship back... means the world to me."

"You're the best friend anyone could ask for, Josh," she said as she kissed his lips tenderly and gently. "You mean the world to me, too."

He left her to finish her doings. No doubt he'd be seeing Jeff with her next time they were together. He hugged her once more before heading out the door.

"You promise you won't be late? I'm serious, Handsome," Bradlee scolded her friend. It was the end of their Monday and they needed a cocktail. Jeff had been a shadow of himself since he'd left Chicago behind. Boy, was he in for a surprise when he got to the bar.

"I'll be there soon enough," he said gently. "I just need to copy this and put it on Cavanaugh's desk."

"So do it and get over there stat," she ordered, her Long Island accent thick and loud. She slung her purple leather jacket over her shoulder and watched him as she strode to the elevator.

"I'm not staying long," he shouted. "One and done tonight."

Bradlee laughed as she heard him, muttering to herself as she did so.

"Oh, we'll see about that."

She sat in a dimly lit corner of the very first bar she'd ever been to in Manhattan. She wore a simple burgundy dress, a black cardigan over it, and black boots that zipped to the calf. Her hair hung loosely around her shoulders, and she smiled nervously as Bradlee came in the door.

"Oh Lord," Bradlee exclaimed, nearly skipping to her friend. "Are you a sight for sore eyes or what?"

They embraced tightly as Isabelle eyed her friend with nervous excitement. They sat and ordered appletinis as they spoke of their favorite common denominator.

"So he has no clue?" Izzy asked tentatively. "I mean, I haven't talked to him for a while. He texted me earlier. How could I tell him I was in a cab headed from LaGuardia?"

"He's been... quiet as of late," she said gently. "He's sad, withdrawn almost. He comes to work, does it, and goes."

"Well, hopefully that will all change very soon," Izzy told her.

"Sooner than you think," Bradlee told her. "Here he comes."

Jeff scoured the crowd for his friend and saw her seated at a booth facing him. She sat in a dim corner and he wondered why she didn't just take a table at the front? He sighed, shaking his head, and strode towards the bar where he ordered a Heineken. He was only having one and then would go home. He checked his Blackberry to see if Izzy had bothered to text him back from earlier. Nothing. He shook his head, threw two bucks for a tip down on the bar, and took a long sip from his beer.

He approached the booth and wondered who she was talking to. Leave it to Bradlee to pick someone up as she waited. She met his eyes and smiled. He expected to see a stranger at the table, but it was certainly no stranger.

Izzy looked at him and smiled, her heart catching in her throat. He wore casual jeans, a plaid shirt, and stylish black boots. He didn't seem to register, then his mouth flew open. He looked away and began to laugh, shaking his head.

"Isabelle," he uttered softly, setting his beer down. "You're here."

She rose, standing before him, her eyes clouding for a moment. She put her hands on his shoulders and felt his arms slide around her waist. It felt right. It was enough.

"I'm here," she whispered. "I'm all yours if you'll have me?"

She looked at him questioningly, totally oblivious to the stares and romantic sighs around them. Especially from Bradlee.

"I'll have you," he said, holding her close as he smiled. "I'll have you for as long as you want."

They laughed cheerfully together, and when he kissed her lips gently, it was enough. She had found him, and certainly wasn't going to let him go.

"I missed you," she whispered.

"I'm going to show you how much I missed you right after we finish our drinks," he promised, rubbing his hands up and down her back.

"I'm counting on it."

Izzy snuggled closer to Jeff who had finally begun to wake. He kissed her neck and pushed her onto her back. Her eyes were dreamy and she seemed to be coming back from a long journey in the mind.

"What were you thinking about?" He asked as he kissed her lips sweetly.

"Everything that we've been through to get to this moment," she told him simply. "I love you so much."

"And I love you," he replied, smiling. "We've come a long way. I can't believe the next time I go back to New York will be to pack up all my stuff to move out here."

"I love you even more for that," she sighed, running her fingers gently across his face. "I truly do."

"Well," he sighed, kissing her lingering fingers. "It's time for a change, time to make some new memories. I'll always love New York, but my heart is here in Chicago. It'll be good to take some time to do my writing, too. I don't want to crowd you at the magazine."

"I'll make a Bears fan outta you yet," she said, tongue in cheek.

"You can take the boy out of the Meadowlands, home of the New York Giants, but you can't take the Meadowlands outta the boy," he said sternly, stretching as he wrapped his arms around her. "You can't convert me there."

"Josh is still seeing that girl Marlie," she giggled. "She seems really good for him."

"Glad we all got a happy ending," he said as he began to roll on top of her. "Did I tell you how much I love you?"

"Mmmm," she sighed. "No, but I bet you're going to show me."

"You definitely got that right."