Sensual Survivor

Story Info
Two lovers resort to breastfeeding to survive a tragedy.
12.3k words
4.69
8.6k
9
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is set in the late 1600's of Scotland and it involves the historic even of the Glencoe Massacre. The story and the characters are fictional.

"I'm tired of riding in this wagon. It's been over a week. Do you know how much longer?" Kenna said to the man driving the wagon that was taking her far from home.

"I'm not exactly sure, but we should be close."

She was being taken to an aunt she had never met before in the MacDonald clan of Glencoe. Having grown up on the Scottish border, Kenna had never been this far from home before. The landscape was changing from the rolling green hills she was familiar with to the verdant green mountains of the highlands.

Kenna looked out at the scenery without actually seeing it. She was grieving for her father who had recently been killed in a border raid. Kenneth Kerr was a loving father who did the best he could for his only child. His wife Elspet had died in childbirth. Kenna and her da had formed a closeknit family of two. He was a simple man who loved his daughter, his dead wife and his clan.

Once she was old enough, Kenna had become mistress of their small cottage. She learned to cook and wash clothing from the women of the clan. She was especially fond of the neighbor Clara who had treated her as a daughter. In fact, Kenna had imagined that she would one day be married to Clara's son Ian. But Kenneth's dying words were to take Kenna to his sister who had married into the MacDonald clan. He thought that she would be safer there than on the border where skirmishes between the Scots and English were always a threat.

David Armstrong, Kenneth's friend, was entrusted to see Kenneth's dying wish fulfilled. As they neared Glencoe, Kenna became more and more withdrawn into her own thoughts and fears. "

"Mr. Armstrong? What if I don't like my aunt? What if she doesn't like me?"

"She's family lass. She will love you. Family sticks together."

As they pulled up to the village of the MacDonald clan, David started asked villagers if they knew of a Maurag and Angus MacDonald. They were directed to a small cottage on the edge of the settlement. Upon hearing the ox cart's approach Maurag came out to greet the visitors. David told Kenna to stay with the cart while he spoke with her aunt.

Kenna watched as David and Maurag spoke in hushed whispers. She saw Maurag's face change as David informed her of her brother's death. David motioned for Kenna to join them. "And who might ye be, young lassie?"

Kenna shyly looked at the kind face of her aunt. Kenna pointed her chin up and proudly proclaimed, "I am Kenna Kerr, daughter of Kenneth."

"Aye, ye look like him, but ye have the dark hair of yer mother." Maurag said with a smile of recognition.

"You knew my mother?" Kenna asked in wonder.

"Aye. She was a bonnie woman with a big heart."

Kenna smiled at that. Kenneth had told her the same, but Kenna was always thirsting for more knowledge of her mother.

"My husband, Angus, is down at the castle. Bring him back and I will have the stew ready for you."

"Come inside, lass. You can help me." Kenna was given a bucket to take to the stream for water. When she returned, Maurag was sitting by the fire stirring the stew. Maurag told Kenna that she knew her husband would want her to stay. But it was for him to say so. Kenna nodded, knowing that most wives would need to adhere to the husband's decision.

There was talking outside the cottage. The door opened and a tall burly man came in with David. He came over to Kenna and put his hand on her shoulder. "Ye are welcome here lass. Maurag and I have no children and we would consider it a blessing to call ye daughter."

"Thank ye."

Maurag smiled at her and told her to bring the bowls over to the fireplace. She then filled them with stew and told Kenna to set them on the small table. Stools were pulled up to the table and all fell silent as they filled their stomachs. Afterward David told the MacDonalds of the happenings along the border. News was always welcome in the remote highlands.

Later, Angus told Kenna she would sleep on the palette with Maurag. He and David wrapped themselves in their plaids and lay by the fire. Tomorrow, Angus would make a palette for Kenna to sleep on. Kenna was exhausted from the travels and fell asleep instantly.

David set out in the morning for his return trip to his home on the border. Kenna thanked him for his trouble of bringing her to her aunt and uncle. David teared up a little and said, "You were the light of Kenneth's life. I was proud to be his friend. "I've got some food for ye to take with ye. Thank you for bringing Kenna here." They waved goodbye as he left.

Maurag and Keena went out to find and cut heather and wild flowers to mix into the grass and hay that Angus would cut for her matt on her very own palette. Kenna appreciated the thoughtfulness of the two.

"Was yer da well? Was he happy?" Maurag asked.

"Yes, he had some aches in his knees. But yes, he was healthy. I don't know if he was happy. Happy enough, I guess."

"Was my ma happy?"

"Oh my, yes. She loved yer da very much. And she was so happy to be having ye."

Kenneth and Elspet met at a clans gathering. They fell in love in the week that they were together. The MacDonalds and the Kerrs agreed to a wedding at the next gathering. The two were heartbroken that it wouldn't be sooner than that, but they relented and agreed to it rather than do something rash that would alienate them from both clans.

Clans' gatherings were social affairs, but also political. Marriages and the fostering of boys from another clan were two of the purposes for the gatherings. Both agreements were made to generate good feelings and unions between clans. Highland clans often squabbled and thieved amongst themselves. The unions were to create allegiances between clans. Should a clan attack, allies would be called for reinforcements.

It was a complex, convoluted social system in the highlands. Each clan was led by a laird. Often times the title was inherited, but not necessarily. If a laird did not serve his clan well he could be ousted and replaced. A good laird acted as a father figure to his people. Their welfare was his welfare. Marriages and fosterings were made with the approval of the laird. The laird also acted as the war lord of the clan. Warriors would be trained under his supervision. It was not a dictatorial society. The laird had a counsel of elders who adviced him.

"I'm tuckered out. I don't want to climb any higher. I'm goin' back. But ye can stay longer, but don't stray too far from the path. I don't want you to get lost up here." Kenna was gathering flowers that she wanted to display in the cottage. She was eager to thank Maurag and Angus for their kindness and generosity.

As the day grew warmer, Kenna sought shade. She found a mountain stream. She took her shoes off and cooled her feet in the stream. She lay back and stared at the clouds above. A shadow fell over her and she looked up into a singularly handsome face. The young man was tanned and broad shouldered. He had dark hair and the bluest eyes she had ever seen. His lips were sculpted and well defined. And they smirked at her intense examination.

"The highlands are beautiful, but I was unprepared for this beauty." said a low voice.

Kenna quickly sat up in alarm. "Who are ye?"

"I'm Tiernan. Who are ye?"

"I'm Kenna. I'm new here." she said timidly.

"Hello Kenna. Where are ye from?"

"I'm from the borderlands. Clan Kerr."

"Why did you come to the most beautiful place in the world?"

"My da died. He wanted me to be brought to his sister Maurag."

"And when did you arrive here?"

"Just yesterday."

"It must been hard to have left yer home. I'm sorry for yer loss."

"Thank ye. What are ye doing here?"

"I came up here to hunt. And I found ye."

Kenna laughed. "Not exactly the prey you expected to find."

"No. But far more lovely."

Kenna looked at him wearily. She wondered if she could out run him. Looking at his muscles, she doubted it. If she screamed would anyone hear her? They were far from the village and she doubted it.

"Lass, ye have nothing to fear from me. Have you seen much of the mountain?"

Kenna shook her head.

"Follow me. I want to show you something."

Kenna followed Tiernan while staring at his broad shoulders and narrow hips. She thought he was lovely too. Eventually Tiernan stood to the side so that Kenna could see the sight of a mountain waterfall. Kenna smiled at Tiernan to show her appreciation. It was beautiful. It was also hidden enough that she would have never found it on her own.

Kenna walked closer and sat on a flat rock to stare at the waterfall. Tiernan sat beside beside her and watched her face. She was beautiful beyond anything he had ever seen before. She looked up to see his gaze on her. Normally, she would have felt self-conscious, but it felt natural to return his gaze.

Her eyes were a lovely shade of green, with the light greens of a Lenten rose and the dark greens of the mountainside. Everything he loved in this world was encompassed in those eyes. Her hair was long, shiny and the color of the peat they heated their homes with. Her lips....well, he wanted to kiss those lips. Her hands were long and elegant and he wanted to hold those hands. Her breasts were high and round and it dizzied the mind what he wanted to do with them. Her waist was narrow and it flared out into womanly hips that made his mouth water. He couldn't take his eyes off of her.

Before he knew what he was doing, he reached for her and drew her nearer. She allowed him this familiarity without protest. He lowered his lips to hers and kissed those pretty, pink lips gently and sweetly. He wanted more, but knew she was a maiden who needed time to find her womanly responses to such things. He touched his forehead to hers in an effort for her to understand his desires without being afraid of him.

A sound in the brush alerted them to the presence of something. It turned out to be a deer. Both of them were relieved at that. This new friendship was fragile and theirs alone. Sharing it with anyone would not help it grow. "I should probably get back." She didn't want to leave, but she didn't want to worry Maurag and Angus either.

"Meet me here tomorrow around this same time. I'll be here waiting for you."

"I don't know if I can get away. I'm new to my aunt and uncle's home and don't want to upset them."

"Tell them you are gathering mushrooms for the food larder and I will show you where you can find some."

"Alright, I'll try. If I don't show, it won't be from the lack of trying." With that she turned and quickly made her way back down the mountain.

Maurage and Kenna sewed a mat to fill with the grasses and flowers for her palette. Kenna asked them if it was alright that she go up the mountain again. She found it so beautiful that she wanted to return. They agreed that if she finished her chores in the morning, then she was free to fill her afternoon. They did encourage her to spend some of her time making some friends in the village with people her own age. "There are some clan evenings where the young dance. Well, even some of us old people too." Angus volunteered with a laugh.

Kenna was eager to start and finish her chores. She plaited her hair down her back and set out with an apple in her skirt pocket. The mountain was beautiful, yes. But so was the man she was going to meet. He made her pulse race. She hoped that she would have the presence of mind to make sense when she spoke.

When she arrived at the waterfall, Tiernan was already there without his shirt on lying on the flat rock. At the sight of his muscular chest that was covered with dark curly hair, Keena's breath hitched. Tiernan heard it and was alerted to her presence. His eyes traveled over her taking note of the blush in her cheeks and the new hair style. Both seemed to be for him. He smiled and said, "Hello Kenna."

"Hello Tiernan. Have you been here long?"

"Not overly long. How are ye?"

"I'm well. How are you?"

"I'm quite well now that you are here."

Oh, he was a charmer. Even knowing that, it still made her heart flutter. She smiled in response. His eyes were as blue as the sky. And they were fixed on her. "Are ye hungry? I brought an apple."

"Well, I think it will taste fine with the bread and cheese I brought. Have a seat and we'll have a little picnic."

Kenna sat down on the other side of the rock. Tiernan smiled at that. He took out a dirk and started to slice the cheese and apple. The bread he tore in two and handed her half. The sweet cheese with the tart apple was complemented by the bread.

"Mmm. This tastes good."

Tiernan nodded his agreement.

"How are you settling in? Are your aunt and uncle good to you?"

"Oh, yes. They don't have children so they say that I am a welcome surprise. My aunt and I gathered grasses and flowers for my matt and my uncle made me my own palette to sleep on. It's is a simple cottage, but I already feel at home."

"Tis good. It is hard to leave one's home."

"Where is your home and what is your clan?"

"My clan is the Cameron clan which is just east of here. I was sent to the laird of MacDonald for him to foster me. I train with his soldiers and board at the castle. But I still think of my family and miss them. Do you have family besides your aunt and uncle?"

"No. My ma died having me. And da was killed a couple weeks ago in a reiving raid on the border. He told his friend to bring me to aunt Maurag and uncle Angus because I would be safer here."

"I will keep ye safe. If ye have a need of me, come find me at the castle. I will try to look after ye. My duties for the laird take up much of my day, but I will always look after ye."

"Besides training as a warrior, what are your duties for the laird?"

"I train every morning and teach the young boys to fight. Sometimes I have sentry duty at night and other times I hunt for the castle. And there is always the odd job that needs doing. I hear there is to be a ceilidh this Saturday. Do you think that you and your aunt and uncle will come?"

"I don't know. I can ask. They seem to have lots of friends in the village so I would think so."

"If I ask ye to dance with me, will ye?"

"Yes. If it is alright with uncle Angus."

"Besides dancing, what else will be at the ceilidh?"

"There will be storytellers weaving their tales. There may be a contest or two for the boys and men. And there will be lots of food. The women will be gossiping and looking after the wee bairns."

"Our ceilidhs in clan Kerr were the same. I didn't know if the MacDonald's ceilidh would be different since I'd only been to those. My da played fiddle. Ceilidhs were the only time that I ever heard him play happy music."

"He must have missed your ma something fierce. He never remarried?"

"No. I don't think he wanted anyone else. I've been told they loved each other very much."

"My ma and da fight and love fiercely. It's as though they can't do one without the other.

"Will you ever return home?"

"I'm supposed to make my home here and marry within the clan MacDonald. I suppose I might return for the occasional visit."

"Do you have brothers and sisters?"

"God, yes. There's six of us in all. The oldest is my brother James. He will one day become laird. Then there is me. Next is my sister Maggie and then my sister Alyse. Then there is my brother Alan and lastly, my sister Judith."

"It must have been wonderful to have brothers and sisters. Do you all get along?"

At that, Tiernan laughed. "No, not all the time. My sister Maggie thinks she is the boss of all of us. And my brother Alan is always tormenting Judith. James and I used to wrestle each other all the time. But we grew out of that and became very close before I was brought here."

"Do you get lonely being away from home?"

"Yes, sometimes I do."

Kenna took his hand in hers. She understood that loneliness and didn't want him to feel it. Tiernan enclosed her hand in his and closed his eyes for a moment. He reminded himself that one day he would have a family of his own and that would replace his loneliness. Perhaps Kenna and he would have a future together.

The clan seemed to come alive at the prospect of the ceilidh. Maurag and Angus were looking forward to dancing and getting together with clansmen that they didn't normally see. Maurag had baked shortbread and Angus had harvested some honey. Kenna, of course, was excited to see Tiernan. She had asked Angus if she was allowed to dance and he said she could as long as the young man asked him first.

Maurag loaned Kenna one of her dresses. It was green and Maurag said it made her eyes look even greener. Maurag wore her blue plaid skirt and a lighter blue blouse. Kenna thought she looked lovely and told her so. Angus said he would proudly walk into the ceilidh with the loveliest lasses in the clan on his arms.

When they arrived at the grounds surrounding the castle, Kenna saw that Tiernan was among the men that were carrying benches out from the castle. People were gathering and talking and many women were setting food out on trestle tables. Maurag introduced Kenna to a group of young people who were similar in age.

There were two girls, Janet and Mary, who seemed very receptive to her. There were also a two young men, Donald and Elliot, who were also interested in engaging Kenna in conversation. After Donald and Elliot went off to investigate the games or tests of skill for the young men, Janet and Mary laughed at their eagerness in getting to know Kenna. They had looked like boys in comparison to Tiernan.

Mary nodded toward the castle steps. "The laird's wife, Hilda, is pregnant again. The poor woman looks like she will fall over from the weight of the babe."

"Oh look" said Janet. "That handsome Tiernan is helping her down the steps. He is more her age than her husband. To see them together, just makes it all the more noticeable."

Kenna looked over at the castle steps and a flash of jealousy went through her. She knew it was ridiculous, but couldn't help herself.

The laird was easy to recognize amongst the men. He was in full regalia and surrounded by men who were drinking, laughing and talking. He did look much older than his wife. More's the pity for Hilda.

Races among the boys had begun and the trio of them went to watch. The boys were all eager to be recognized for their speed. The clan was always in need of boys who could act as runners between clans.

In another area, men were gathering for a boulder toss. Sheer strength was required for this event. Kenna noticed that Tiernan was among the contestants. She had no doubt that he would do well. She had never seen more muscles on a man. As she was watching him, Tiernan turned and caught her stare. He nodded to her with a slight smile. Even that small gesture was enough to make her heart sing.

Janet asked, "Did Tiernan just smile at you?"

"What? I don't think so." fibbed Kenna.

"Do you know him?" asked Mary.

"Well, I have met him, but I wouldn't say I know him." Heaven help her she couldn't stop lying. She was feeling protective of their friendship and didn't want it to become gossip.

"He's not a MacDonald, but he is highly respected." Surmised Janet. "And he is smart to look at."

The three of them giggled; Mary and Janet out of female admiration and Kenna out of nervousness. Kenna wanted to watch Tiernan compete, but didn't want to draw attention to her attraction to him.

"Come on ladies, let's go watch the men compete." said Mary.

Gathering around the competition, the clanswomen were cheering their men on. Aunt Maurag and uncle Angus were across the way and not paying attention. Kenna watched Tiernan stand over the boulder, brace himself, pick it up to his shoulder and then run and toss it. The crowd cheered. Kenna cheered. The hit was marked and the boulder was brought back for the next contestant. Tiernan turned, looked at Kenna and smiled. She nodded back her encouragement. Mary and Janet noticed, but didn't say anything. Kenna cheered him on. The hell with gossip. We are friends and I will cheer for him.