CHOGM Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What happens now?" Henry Fitzsimons looked at the silver braid on his navy uniform cap and thought that now might be a good time to consider his retirement.

"We'll let the Federal boys have it for a day or two, they won't find anything that we don't want them to find, and when the heat dies down we will arrange for the investigation to be transferred to your people, after all one of yours was a victim, how is he by the way?"

"Not good."

"Sorry to hear that. As I was saying, after the heat has died down we can throw in our ace who is prepared to swear blind that our religious fanatics were responsible for the whole shebang. Have you spoken to the Federals about this at all?"

"Yes, we had a brief discussion a few minutes ago and they tell me that they have some solid leads and are confident of making an arrest in the next day or so. What do you know about that?"

"They haven't a clue. Did they mention anything about help from other quarters?"

"No, why?"

"It's just that my people have been aware that they have been working with several other people on this case and they have been causing a few troubles around the place."

"You think that these people might have something to do with this?"

"I'm sure that if they are not directly involved they know, or at least think that they know, who is."

"What do you want me to do about that?"

"Nothing for the moment. I'll look into it through diplomatic channels."

"I'd appreciate that."

"Just don't take too much notice of any allegations that they might make."

"I'll bear that in mind. Thanks." His hand shook as he put the phone down, his mind going back to his discussions with the Federal Police Chief and the allegations that he had made.

The Federal Police were less than impressed with the progress of the investigation. Firstly the State police were claiming that, because one of their own had been involved that it was their case, and second, that the Premier had informed them that they had jurisdiction.

Then there was the phone conversation with Canberra. "I must stress that there was to be no full scale investigation because my government will take responsibility for the matter. We have called upon the American Intelligence network for assistance because of the international nature of the matter and I believe that there is a lack of international expertise among the Commonwealth Police force.

My Government has been advised by our friends to concentrate our efforts on increasing security around the conference, in particular the route that the Prime Ministers and their entourages would take to Bowral."

"But my men have a strong lead that will result in an early arrest if they were allowed to continue their work."

"I repeat, you will not continue with this line of enquiry and you will not, under any circumstance make any arrest without first clearing it with me."

"Not even if we have solid evidence that points to a particular person or party?"

"I will not tell you again. Drop it!"

He pushed the button on top of the phone to disconnect the Canberra line and dialled an internal number. "Frank? Listen I have orders to drop the investigation."

"You have got to be kidding?"

"No. You are to cease, this instant, your enquiries into this incident. I don't care how close you are to making an arrest, you are to stop now."

"Someone in high places must know which strings to pull to get the desired results. I never thought that I would see the day when the government of this country would bow to the wishes of another in what is essentially a local issue."

"The orders have come direct from Canberra so there is no way that I can condone a breach of order."

"Your orders may have come from Canberra but I would be prepared to wager an important body part on the fact that it would have originated from Langley Virginia in the U S of A."

"You can wager the whole of your body if you like but I will not tell you, officially at least, where I think the order originated."

"So I guess this is it then."

"No. What I want you to do is to talk to the Army an see if you can arrange for several hundred soldiers to patrol the boundaries of the railway line between the Central Railway station and Bowral."

"Couldn't you do all of this?"

"No. I want you to do it, because then I will know that you won't be running around trying to implicate people who we cannot allow to be implicated."

"Where's our country's autonomy?"

"I don't make the rules. all I know for sure that my arse will be in a sling if I don't follow my instructions to the letter. Am I getting through to you yet?"

"Yes. Understanding this issue doesn't mean that I agree with what is taking place."

"Who said anything about agreeing with what is happening. Just do it."

The telephone rang at the Petrelli house. "Hello" Mr Petrelli sounded cautious after all he was concerned for the safety of Jenny and Russell. What he heard next gave him further cause for concern. "Papa, It's Russell here. Have you heard from Jenny in the last hour or so?"

"No. What has happened?"

"Hopefully nothing. It's just that she was supposed to meet me an hour ago and she hasn't shown."

"Where was she supposed to meet you?"

"At the Hunter Street entrance to Wynyard Station."

"Wait there and I will come in and meet you we will see if we can find her together." He hung up the phone, his face creased with worry. "That was Russell. He tells me that Jenny hasn't met him as arranged an hour ago. This is not like her. I told him that I would meet him to help him look for her."

"I'll come with you."

"No. It will be better if you stay here in case they try to contact us."

He walked to the garage and minutes later was reversing his car out. The Statesman cruised slowly out of the driveway and turned left into the street. As it disappeared around the first bend in the road a telephone linesman raised a two way radio to his mouth. "Get ready, here he comes."

Some five hundred metres from the bend in the road was an intersection with another major road. Mr Petrelli stopped at the Stop sign and, looking both ways to make sure that no other vehicle was approaching, proceeded to drive over the intersection. He had only moved about three metres when a large truck accelerated from its parking space several metres away.

What followed was not witnessed by any other person. The truck continued to accelerate, striking the Statesman directly on the driver's side front door. It didn't stop there, but continued to accelerate spinning the car around and slamming it against a telegraph pole with such force that the pole shook and several wires snapped and fell to the ground, fortunately away from both vehicles.

The truck driver got out of his cabin and walked around to the car. He reached through the shattered window and felt the carotid pulse. Finding a faltering beat he reached in with both hands and with one violent movement broke Mr Petrelli's neck.

Satisfied that his task was complete he climbed back into the cabin of the truck and drove as sedately as he could away from the scene. As he left he spoke to another person on his CB radio, the message short and succinct. "Big Bubba calling Master Blaster. Mission accomplished."

"Any aggro Big Bubba?"

"Negatory. All went as planned. Ten Four."