Command and Vanquish Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh, thank you, I was dreading returning to my parents home. The things they'd say..."

"I could protect you from that. Stay here, with me. I work all the time it seems, but at least we could see each other every day."

"Would it be uncomfortable for the Prince?"

"Fuck him, he owes you."

She giggled, "...but the Princess?"

"I don't think she's going to mind, but I'll talk to her in the morning. Until then, how about we try something else I think you'd like?"

*******************

Months went by with everyone more happy than even before the war ripped everyone apart. Jem and Isabella busied themselves with projects for rebuilding Espinan and strengthening the rest of Pangain, growing more comfortable being more than a few inches away from each other (but never more than two rooms away). Rayth and Alenya lovingly worked on whatever projects Jem and Isabella came up with, happy to do them together, side by side. Navin stayed ever busy training new soldiers to join the guard at the palace, taking Jem wherever he needed to go, and reporting all happenings to the Queen. Whenever he had a free moment, however, he was curled around Mia, happy at the new joy of a woman in his life. He'd lived a hard, militant life, and he soft beauty, inner and outer, was a breath of fresh air to him. Mia slowly found her way into acceptance at Prince's Hall as Navin's permanent guest. At first she avoided Jem, Isabella, Rayth and Alenya at all costs, sticking to the familiar friendliness of Princesses Lillian and Sonia. But Lillian and Sonia soon helped Mia grow more accustomed to reveling in all the amenities the Hall had to offer while staying out of the spotlight. They also helped her feel more comfortable around Jem and Isabella, and as it turned out, both Jem and Isabella were happy that Mia and Navin were such a good match together. It didn't take long for everyone in the Hall to appreciate the relaxing sense of calm that saturated the atmosphere.

Only one hurdle lay in the distance. The aging Queen called all of her grandchildren (minus Jem's older brother, or Jem's father for that matter), to her bedchamber. It was time to say goodbye to Lillian, Jem, Sonia, and Benito, and prepare them for life without her. The four of them tearfully kissed the old Queen goodbye, and held each other as she passed.

*******************

"No, absolutely not, people live in those homes...would you want this to happen to yours?" Isabella asked the engineer incredulously.

Alenya and Mia had to turn their heads away from watching the engineer bauble for an answer; they weren't used to seeing a woman fluster a respected expert, and were stifling laughter.

"Madam Princess, if you would only consider the rest of the proposal, you'll see that it's necessary to complete the road as planned."

"Change the plans," she snapped, "I'm not watching my people's homes destroyed so the nobility can have quicker access to the palace."

"They're not your people," the engineer mumbled as he cleaned up his plans. He was stopped when Rayth suddenly appeared and clamped onto his shoulders from behind. "You weren't just being disrespectful to my Princess, now were you?"

"No, Lord Rayth," the man tersely answered.

"I didn't think so. Get your things and get out."

The man was still muttering under his breath as Alenya crossed the room to kiss Rayth and say, "Nice timing, but I think Isabella would have been able to handle him herself."

"Oh no doubt," he replied, "but what kind of loyal Pangain would I be if I let someone talk to my beloved Princess that way?" He hugged Alenya then set her down, "Hey has anyone seen Jem or Navin, they've been gone for a long time."

Mia shyly spoke up, "The Queen called for Navin to bring all her grandchildren to her this morning. I haven't seen Navin since."

"I wonder what..." Rayth began but stopped as he heard commotion coming down the hallway. Faintly they heard what sounded like Navin calling from down the hallway. Doors would open, and the command, "Kneel to his Majesty!" was called, door after door. Finally, Navin came in first to the room they were in, and his somber face announced, "Kneel to his Majesty!" Rare for anyone in the hall to have it called, but they all quickly complied as Jem walked in the door.

Jem's face was stained with tears. "Queen Isabella," he hoarsely called. "Not you. As Queen you won't kneel to anyone ever again."

Isabella cautiously stood, eyeing Jem. Tears kept coming out of his face, and Isabella knew. She strode to him, never unlocking her eyes, and embraced him in a warm supportive hug. His grandmother, the Queen, his protector, provider, mentor, and model, was dead. She held him until she felt his tears subside, and they turned to everyone else in the room. They all stayed down, but Rayth looked up solemnly and said quietly, "I'm sorry for your loss...my King."

Jem cleared his throat. "Please...everyone...out, I need to speak with my Queen, Lord Rayth, and Captain Navin. Everyone else please go." The room cleared out until only the four were left in the room. Rayth didn't know how to approach Jem. True, it was his best friend, but now his friend had a significantly elevated status. Jem felt the tension in the room and invited everyone, "Please sit."

Isabella sat across from Jem, and Navin and Rayth sat to his right and his left. Trying to fight tears, Jem put one hand on Navin's, one on Rayth's, and squeezed them both to say through a strained voice, "King or not, you three are the most important people on earth to me next to my brother and sisters. I...I don't feel quite ready to do this on me own. I need you all."

"You're ready for this, your Majesty. A man couldn't be more honored to know a King as magnificent as you will be," Navin told him.

"And of course," Rayth continued, "We'll be here for you, ready to do whatever you need, what ever you demand, whatever you wish."

Jem cleared his throat before continuing. "You will continue to give me candid advice without fear of reprisal. You will continue to bring matters to my attention that are being over looked. You will continue," he smiled and nudged Navin, "to kick my ass if I deserve it." He looked serious once more. "You will continue to be my friends. Does everyone understand?"

"Yes, your Majesty," came the refrain from around the table.

"Good. Now we must give the former Queen a proper burial, and announce the event to the rest of the country." He chuckled and self-mockingly said, "Long live the King and Queen."

*******************

King Jaimeth trudged through the slave plots of a deceased nobleman, holding on tightly to Princess Helena's hand.

"What on earth are we doing here again?" He asked Prince Benito with a sour look on his face.

"The dead Lord hasn't properly managed these lands in years. The people who work it, slave and free, are starving to death. He left no heir, and we're afraid these lands will further plummet, so we're handing out food and provisions to the people until it's auctioned tonight."

"Who's going to want this shit?" he said incredulously, as he picked his small daughter up out of the mud.

"Daddy, don't say 'shit.'" Princess Helena corrected him.

"Forgive me, dear Princess," he smiled at her and gave a small bow. "Isabella and her charity projects...have to love her for it, but I still don't see why someone else can't do this."

Navin on his left shrugged, "Lets the people know that the royalty cares."

"And mommy says that showing love means getting your hands dirty," Helena announced importantly.

Jem laughed, "So mommy's starting you young, is she?"

Princess Lillian walked up behind them, "Yes, Jaimeth, Isabella's civic lessons are better for Helena than the fencing lessons you and Navin have been giving her."

Jem put his forehead to Helena's and surreptitiously whispered, "You weren't supposed to tell anyone about that."

She smiled adorably, wrinkling her nose, "Sorry, daddy." He put her down, and she scampered off to her mother who was dishing out food alongside Sonia, Mia, and Alenya. Rayth intercepted the little imp before she ran into the hot bowl of food her mother was dishing from.

"Woah there, little one!" he chuckled, swinging her into his arms, "that was close!"

"Uncle Rayth" she pouted, "I want to help mommy!"

Queen Isabella didn't stop working, "Good eye, Rayth. Those natural parenting skills are coming to you early, before Alenya's delivery.

Rayth struggled to keep Helena still, "I once upon a time hoped for a girl, thinking they were more manageable and calm." Helena roughly squirmed out of his arms and ran back to her father, and Rayth watched her go, shaking his head. "Alenya, let it be a boy."

"Heaven forbid it be a boy," Alenya huffed, rubbing her round belly, "You only dream of having a betrothal between ours and Princess Helena so you and King Jaimeth can play around until you're old men!"

"We plan on that anyway, darling! We don't need children for that!"

"Boy or girl doesn't matter. You can blame the King for Helena's temperament...spoils her rotten, teaches her to fight," Isabella only partially lamented.

Sonia laughed, "Jem practically raised me the same way, and I turned out alright."

Mia nudged Sonia, "Lord Kyler certainly seems to think so. He's been trying to get King Jaimeth's permission to take you out for quite some time."

Sonia looked at Mia shocked, "Jem's an ass! He doesn't think anyone is good enough to take me out, and I'm pent up all day like a...OW!"

Jem had snuck up behind her and tugged her hair once hard. " 'Ass' isn't a nice thing for a Princess to say. Maybe you need more refinement lessons before I let you go anywhere and embarrass the monarchy."

"I know Lord Kyler very well," Mia tried for Sonia, "And he's quite a gentleman."

"But that's not the point, is it Jem?" Lillian smilingly interjected, "You just can't stand that your baby girl is old enough to go somewhere with another man."

"She can go with another man," Jem said defensively. "I have guards that will take her anywhere she wants to go."

Sonia growled and rolled her eyes as Navin wrapped his arms around Mia and kissed the back of her neck. "We're heading back soon, love, you ladies need to get ready for the auction tonight."

"Wait, what time is it?" Queen Isabella asked.

Prince Benito told her the time, and laughed as the women hurried to put their things away, scrambling to go home and begin preparing for the night's festivities. The men helped pack up, and soon the entourage was ready to go back to the palace.

"Can I come to the party tonight?" Helena asked her parents, Isabella getting out a "n-" before Jem declaring, "of course you can!" Isabella glared at him as he hugged his small, beautiful daughter. It warmed Isabella, though, how much he loved their little girl.

"Hey, let's go, Alenya's getting antsy!" Rayth called as Alenya nudged him in the ribs.

The entourage moved out, surrounded by heavy guard, regally back to Royal Square. Tonight, King Jaimeth and Queen Isabella would be joined by their dear friends and family, Lord Rayth, Lady Alenya, Captain Navin, Lady Mia, Princess Lillian, Prince Benito, and Princess Soina (and the date Jem arranged for her, Lord Kyler) for a lovely auction dinner. It was one of many good times coupled with royal duties that these friends and family would share under the reign of King Jaimeth and Queen Isabella of Pangain.

*

Author's Note: That's really the end this time, I swear! Thanks for reading, and please continue to vote and post/email your comments. I love to hear from readers, and thank you to everyone who's been so supportive so far!