Danger Zone Ch. 08

Story Info
One Year Later...
3.5k words
4.7
21.6k
59

Part 8 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 10/11/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
vvolfe
vvolfe
312 Followers

One Year Later, Lake Baikal

"I thought we were supposed to be the ones who brooded on rooftops."

Emma snorted "And I thought we were supposed to be the ones who acted like horny teenagers, making out in the music room."

Lena had the decency to blush, though it wasn't as pronounced on her white porcelain skin. She quickly changed the subject.

"What are you doing up here?"

"I'm waiting for the boys to return from town. They 'snuck out' about 2 hours ago."

"Again? This is what you get for teaching teenage boys to hide their scent and move quietly. Any other normal group of boys we would have been able to catchbeforethey snuck out and caused havoc in town."

Emma chuckled. "Oh I knew when they left; I just enjoy passing the time they spend in town thinking of creative punishments for sneaking out. Besides, moving silently is common practice for our kind. It's not like they would learn that on their own anyways."

"And hiding their scent? As far as I know, that's a trait solely owned by you."

"I'm not teaching them to suppress their wolf like I can. It's like putting a limb through a wood chipper then cutting it off completely. I teach them to avoid leaving a scent trail."

"Hiding your scent is painful? Why do you do it so often if it causes you pain? Are you purposely hurting yourself honey?" Lena's concerned tone grated on Emma's nerves.

She looked away from the forest to face her friend so that she could see her eye roll. "My unique ability stems from survival. My wolfwillinglysuppressed herself so that we would both live and so that we could protect each other when we were surrounded by so many wolves. It became such a common place occurrence that it's natural for me. She trusts that I would never try to supress her without good reason and I trust her to protect me when I am in danger. I am not a masochist nor am I suicidal and I'm offended that you would think that." Emma hid the flare of anger by looking back towards the forest and an awkward silence ensued.

"How are your sessions with Dmitry going?" Lena asked hesitantly.

"None of your business." Emma snapped.

Lena sighed. "I'm sorry if I'm prying. It's just..."

"Don't" Emma interrupted Lena "Just don't. What did you want?"

"The girls want to Skype on Sunday. When are you on supervision duty?"

"I have the morning shift so... how far ahead are we?"

"13 hours I think. So if we say 9pm our time, that'll be 8am their time. Does that work for you?"

"Fine. Anything else?"

Lena suddenly swept Emma into a hug "I'm sorry B, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings but I'm just worried about you."

Emma shrugged her off. "I know, doesn't mean I need you to be my keeper."

Lena sighed. "I feel like I'm always apologizing."

"Then don't"

Lena pursed her lips and correctly assumed the reason for Emma's surly mood "He still not returning your calls?"

Emma shook her head "He hates me."

"He's your mate, he can't..."

"Just because you're happily mated, doesn't mean we all are." Emma snapped "Ian hates me. I betrayed him and ran away from him, making him look like a fool to his pack. He'll never forgive me."

"So you're giving up? That doesn't sound like the Emma I know."

"I'm not giving up...it just...hurts."

The sound of rustling leaves made both women perk up. Emma's grin turned devious. "You want the front or back?"

Lena smirked evilly "I always enjoy being the ice queen."

"Fine, you've got front, I'll come up behind."

"Dude you are making way too much noise. They'll hear us coming." Sam hissed to his fellow deviant, Lev.

"Sorry." Lev whispered "I think the last girl was drunker than I thought."

Stan snorted "This is what we get for bringing a leech on our excursion."

"Konstantin Robert Dobrynin," Lena's sharp reprimand cracked through the dark of the night, causing Stan to yelp and Sam to recoil into Lev, knocking them both into the snow "what have I told you about using derogatory terms?"

"Sorry Lena."

"I'm not the one you need to apologize to." Lena's tone froze him to the bone.

Stan gritted his teeth. "I apologize Lev if I hurt your feelings."

Lev bit his lip to prevent bursting out in laughter as he brushed the snow off his coat. "No harm done Stan."

Lena pivoted on her heels and headed back towards the castle. "Well come along gentlemen."

Lev reached down to help Sam up and out of the snow. Sam gratefully took the help, taking a moment to shake off the snow. Lev snickered "You're such a dog."

"Lev!" Lena's voice whipped across his senses and Lev mentally rolled his eyes.

"I was just referring to his reputation with the ladies." Lev commented innocently.

Lena harrumphed and glided forward.

Stan shook his head and mouthed "Scared of a newborn... you're pathetic."

"Her husband." Lev mumbled.

Sam nodded sagely "Smart."

They travelled in silence until they reached the steps of the academy. As they began to climb the steps, Sam expelled a breath. "At least it was Lena that found us."

Sam was pulled up short by an arm around his throat and a knife to his kidneys "Awww Sammy-poo did you miss me?"

Sam groaned. As he opened his mouth to reply, he was suddenly released and spun so that he came face to face with Emma. "And what have I told you about protecting your six? Shoddy work my man. You'll never survive as the self-proclaimed alpha of the academy if you make mistakes like that."

Sam groaned louder "How did you know that?"

Emma grinned slyly "I make it my business to know what my pack is doing because despite what you've been telling the others," Her eyes shifted to her wolves and her expression turned feral "Iam the alpha."

Stan and Sam immediately bared their necks at the show of dominance. "My apologies." Sam simpered.

Emma took a deep breath to calm herself and immediately choked. "Gah, what did you do, roll yourself in perfume and alcohol? You reek!"

Sam turned beet red. Emma grabbed Stan's shirt and sniffed his neck, snorting at the offensive smell. "Bleh, you too."

Emma turned on Lev with a look that had him backing up warily. "I only got close enough to take some blood. Those two were the ones drinking and making ... Hey!" Lev rubbed the back of his head where he was cuffed. He spun to face the person that slapped him only to see the broad chest of the headmaster. "Uh-oh"

"You endanger us all by feeding on the nearby villagers?" Alex asked as he encroached further into Lev's personal space.

"It was a tourist from Germ – ACK "His words were cut off by the hand squeezing around his neck and the talons digging into his vocal chords.

"A tourist?" Alex demanded incredulously.

"Now Lexi, let's not kill the poor boy." Lena chided

"He fed from a human." Alex growled "A tourist that will spread stories about us across the globe."

"You're exaggerating and you know it Alexei." Emma crossed her arms "Unless you failed at your job, Lev erased her memories of the feeding. Right Lev?"

Eyes bulging, Lev nodded frantically.

Alex nodded "Well there is that." He replied as he released the struggling teenager.

Lev dropped to his knees, rubbing at his throat as the wounds closed in front of their eyes.

"Go to bed." Alex growled "I'm sure Emma will have some punishment for you tomorrow morning."

As the boys shuffled off with their heads down, Alex turned on Emma and Lena "You two are horrible people."

Lena pouted "But it's so much fun."

Alex rolled his eyes. "Why do I always have to be the adult around here?"

Emma pretended to ponder the question. "Because you're the oldest?" She answered.

Alex scowled at Emma "Why didn't you stop them before they went out and wreaked havoc?"

Emma shrugged. "They wouldn't learn."

"You're supposed to keep them out of trouble."

"I'm supposed to teach them how to survive." Emma countered.

Alex threw his hands up in frustration. "You're impossible."

Emma grinned "Thank you."

"That wasn't a compliment."

"But it felt like it."

Alex hissed and turned to enter the building. Behind him, he heard the women bickering.

"You were supposed to keep him distracted."

"It's not my fault he has mad stamina."

"Then employ the use of toys. Better yet tie him up." Emma's exasperation was evident in her tone.

"But it's more fun when he ties me up." Lena purred.

"Gross."

"Jealous?"

Emma paused then sighed unhappily "Yes."

He looked back to see Lena wrap an arm around Emma's shoulders and pull her in to whisper in her ear "You'll get there."

Emma snorted.

Lena's musical laughter echoed through the foyer. "Did you see their faces when they fell in the snow drift?"

"I know right?" Their peals of laughter followed them down the hallway.

"Hello!" Lily's bright shining face came onto the screen.

"Hi Lily! We're still waiting on Doc and Alice." Emma smile grew wider as her other friends entered on a separate screen. "Hi guys!"

"Hey!" Came the chorus of greetings.

"How have you been?"

"Good."

The five friends made small talk for over an hour with Lena and Emma sharing stories of their teenage charges, Doc grossing out the group with her new discoveries on were physiology and Alice raving about the new security program she's designing for the pack. By the time they got to Lily, she was practically vibrating with her news.

"I'm pregnant!"

"No way!

"Shut up!"

"That's awesome!"

"Congrats!"

"How far along are you?" Doc asked.

"2 months. When we found out Dan passed out. He hasn't let me out of his sight since."

The entire group burst out laughing at the image of the big warrior passing out at the doctor's office.

Lily looked down at her hands as she clasped them together repeatedly. Silence fell over the group.

"Is there something wrong with the baby?" Emma asked nervously. She knew how much Lily wanted a family, she couldn't imagine her friend going through any more hardship.

"No, no nothing like that. I was just hoping..." Lily hesitated "I want you to be there for the birth B. It would mean a lot to us."

"OfcourseI'll be there for the birth. I wouldn't miss it for anything!"

Emma watched as everyone let out the breath they were holding. "Wait, you thought I would say no?"

Lily shifted nervously. "I know things have been tense with you and Ian and that you feel you have a purpose in Russia there..."

"Lily I wouldn't miss it for the world." Emma cut in "Besides, it's time for me to stop hiding. I will be there in 6 months, plenty of time before the baby is born."

"A werewolf's gestational period is 6 months, not 9." Doc piped up.

"6 months?" Emma was shocked.

"Ya. Listen, if that's too soon..."

"Oh shush. I was going to work until the end of the school year but I will be there in a month, after the end of term."

"Really?"

"Of course. I miss you guys. I want to come home. I need to come home."

Lily giggled and clapped her hands delightedly. "Yay!" The other girls smiled indulgently at Lily's excitement.

"Are you coming too Lena?" Alice asked.

"Yeah it won't be until later. Lex will need to see out the school year so we'll be there after the baby is born."

"Ooooo... Lex. Does this mean we'll get to meet the infamous Alexei Romanov?" Alice teased "I'll have to brush up on my manners. It's not every day you meet royalty."

"Oh shut up. That was ages ago and he's not some stuck up prick."

"She's right." Emma grinned "What self-respecting prince would let his mate call himSexy Lexi." Her laughter was muffled by the pillow Lena was beating her with.

Once the laughter died down. Doc said "I'm just so happy we'll all be back together again."

"It's only been a year Doc."

"I know but it feels likeages.So much has happened in a year. We were rescued."

"We were turned." Added Alice.

"Damon paid for his crimes." Lena commented.

"And now we're all happily mated and I'm pregnant." Lily patted her slight bump. "Or at least most of us are happily mated." She finished sadly.

Emma feigned interest in her fingernails in order to avoid the looks of pity, frustration and condemnation in her friends faces. "Alice?" She hesitated "How is he doing?"

Alice pursed her lips and growled angrily and ignored Betty's warning squeeze on her shoulder. "You haveNOright to ask that question after what you have done to that man. He is a good man, a good alpha who you have made miserable by your actions." She stood up at glared at the webcam "What makes me even madder is that you're making yourself miserable too by running away from the problem instead of facing it head on. The woman I knew would never do something so cowardly."

"Really Ice? Because the woman I knew back at that house kept her goddamn mouth shut and did every debasing and demoralizing things that was asked of her in order to protect her friends from the wrath of a rogue pack. She was a fucking mouse that didn't step one foot out of line when she knew she should have."

"If you honestly believe that line of bullshit, you are more fucked up than we thought."

"Wethought? Who is thisweyou speak of?" Emma's eyes were glowing and she was breathing hard in an effort to control her wolf that wanted to jump through the screen and tear out Alice's throat. She didn't fail to miss the expressions of guilt that passed over her so-called friends faces.

"What the fuck else were you going to do in that hellhole, fight? You were outnumbered, outmuscled and malnourished. You couldn't have fought your way out of a paper bag." Alice wasn't doing much better at controlling her anger. Her eyes glowed and her fingernails had shifted into claws.

"I was a wolf. I could have used my abilities to save us instead of suppressing my wolf." Tears of frustration clouded Emma's eyes "I could have saved the others."

"You were a half-starved wolf. All you would have done is gotten yourself gang raped and killed.Thenwho would have protected us?"

"B, you did what you had to." Doc piped up in an effort to diffuse the situation. "We will never forget the sacrifices you had to make in order to protect us, but maybe it's timeyouforgot."

Emma absently started to nod then caught herself. "Wait, what?"

"We all have made huge strides to heal ourselves so that we can be happy again. We don't need you lording your sacrifices over us to make us feel guilty for finding happiness when you can't."

Emma was stunned.

"Please let it go Emma. For our sakes?" Doc pleaded.

Emma gaped "I... It's late. I should go. See you guys soon. Congrats Lily!" Emma shut the dialogue box before anybody could reply and sat motionless staring at the blank screen. She heard Lena get up and felt her cold touch on her hand.

"At the risk of hurting you more, they're right. I ran away with you because I was scared and mad just like you were. The difference is that I found peace and happiness on this journey and you have just gotten more bitter and resentful. Sure being here has made it better because you have a purpose but we don't need you to be our martyr anymore. We need you to be our friend." Emma snatched her hand away from Lena's grip and folded her hands in her lap, hunching further into herself.

Lena sighed heavily. "Goodnight Emma. I love you." She got no response as she quietly left the room.

Once down the hallway, Lena made a quick call "She needs you."

"Emma?"

Emma didn't even flinch at the sound of Dimitri's voice. His voice always had a soothing quality that made her feel more at ease and open in his presence. That kind of hypnotic ability made him an excellent psychologist.

Dimitri noticed Emma's slight catastasis, rocking lightly with her arms wrapped around her torso.

"Emma?" Dimitri took another step into the room as he tried again to get her attention.

"They hate me." Emma whispered.

"Who hates you?"

"Them." Emma gestured at the computer screens.

"The computers?"

"Stop being obtuse. My so called friends."

"Why would you think they hate you?"

"Because they do." Emma replied petulantly.

"Not good enough. Did they tell you they hated you?"

"No but they're mad at me for running away and for hurting Ian."

"So they're mad. That doesn't automatically mean they hate you."

"Yes it does!" Emma ran her hands through her hair and pressed her palms into her forehead. "You don't understand, you weren't there."

"Ok, so make me understand."

Emma stared blankly at the dark screens in front of her, opening up unhealed emotional wounds. "We went through hell together." She whispered "That forms a bond. Something that makes it easy to read them without them having to speak."

"You mean body language?"

"No, not body language. We made sure to control our reactions and body language around the rogues." Emma paused, collecting her thoughts. "It was in the eyes. And the hands. Kind of like sign language...but not."

"So even though they never said they hated you, they were 'signing' that they did?"

"...not exactly."

"I don't understand."

Emma's lower lip twitched "I told you you wouldn't."

Dimitri spun the chair around so that Emma faced him. "Can you please face me? I'm trying to have a serious conversation with you."

Emma couldn't contain the smirk as she remembered saying the exact same thing to her mate.Her mate. Emma's eyes widened as she made the realization that she no longer thought of him as Ian or Damon's uncle or the Alpha.He was hers.

"Omigod Dimitri I need to go home."

Dimitri pulled back in confusion. "You are home."

"No. Home is with my mate. I'm such an idiot." She jumped up out of the chair "How could I have wasted so much time thinking only about myself? I could have been home claiming my mate, having a life."

Dimitri's expression turned into one of mock insult "What are we, chopped liver? You have a life."

"No I have a comfortable hideout." Emma sat down and started typing on the computer "I need to get back to Canada as soon as possible."

"Well I guess my work is done." Dimitri gave Emma's shoulder a squeeze as her turned to leave but paused when he heard her hesitant question.

"Do you think he'll forgive me?"

Dimitri turned and crouched down next to Emma and took her hands in his. "I'm sure he's mad at you but I can guarantee he doesn't hate you. He'll forgive you." He gave her hands a squeeze before he let go and stood up again. "I just hope it's soon. For both of your sakes."

Dimitri was only partially prepared when Emma launched herself at him, hugging his neck. "Thank you for everything." She sniffled "For being there when I needed to talk and for your help and the pills."

"You're welcome krasavitsa. Now if you don't mind removing your snotty nose from my Armani suit, the drycleaner is more than 300 kilometers away."

Emma purposely wiped her face on his lapels. "What do you care? You own a helicopter and have more money than can be reasonably spent in a lifetime."

Dimitri handed her a tissue then used his handkerchief to swipe at his suit. "First, this is my favorite suit and you've now inconvenienced me. Second, I'm immortal, I need enough money to last eternity."

"Blah blah blah... I'm rich and powerful and have lived hundreds of years so I have seen everything puny mortal..."

"You're the one who asked..."

"Get out of here. I have a plane to book."

"You planning on using my lucrative helicopter to get you to the airport?"

"Oh wow thanks for offering Mischa, I would love to!"

Dimitri rolled his eyes as he exited the communications room.

"Dimitri?" His sensitive hearing picked up her voice from down the hall.

He kept walking. "Yes?"

"Seriously. Thank you."

A knock sounded on his door.

"Come in." Ian growled. It was all he was capable of doing these days.

vvolfe
vvolfe
312 Followers
12