All Comments on 'Daughters and Fathers Ch. 08'

by leBonhomme

Sort by:
  • 6 Comments
nightshadownightshadowover 10 years ago
Weighing in again...

Okay, there's a saying: "Two billion Red Chinese can't be wrong." The subtext of that saying is that, when there is a large number of people saying/doing the same thing or offering the same opinion/view, there's probably something valid that should be paid attention to. My personal "measuring stick" goes: "Once is an opinion; twice is a consideration; three times is cause for concern; four times is a crisis." I've read the comments at the end of every chapter you've posted so far- you're STILL getting comments and complaints about your use of the word "snort." At some point this HAS to have started driving you nuts and caused feelings of helplessness for lack of a solution to the complaints. So! Here's what I'm gonna do for you...

Huffed

Demurred

Sighed

Snickered

Giggled

Gasped

Paused

Hedged

Smirked

Trilled

Scoffed

Tittered

Cut short a laugh

Started

You can use any one of those words to express surprise or amusement. You can ascribe them to your character's actions without beating your audience over the head with that damned broad-brush word "snort." There are literally dozens of ways to describe a single action, some verbose and some not, but to rely on only ONE WORD will turn people away from your work more than it will attract them. Creative writing is more than just coming up with a storyline. Stringing words together in a sentence creatively is something that should be done with honed skill, alacrity and deft nuance, not the literary equivalent of hitting some fragile thing with a blunt instrument of death, intent on bludgeoning someone into submission.

Listen to your audience. Write what you enjoy- absolutely!- but when your audience overwhelmingly and repeatedly complains about a specific technique, you NEED to stop and ask yourself, "Holy shit! Could they be right?!"

Coming from an experienced writer who consistently puts out solid work (okay, not frequently, but *consistently*), the resounding answer is, "Well, they're not wrong."

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
What the f....

Snort? What the fuck? Let the guy write as he likes. You want a different word, put it in your own story.

leann5redleann5redover 10 years ago
leann5red fab

you write it howe you see it I am looking forward to more soon "but " whats mon going to say when she finds out love to be the fly on that wall mmm yours leann MAWH XXXX

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Re: leann5red fab

I'm glad you don't write stories, Leann5red. Every time that you comment on a story, it makes no sense. Your grammar is at a 3rd grade level. Just read the stories and leave the comments to us.

leBonhommeleBonhommeover 10 years agoAuthor
@ Nightshadow

Thank you for your comment and suggestions of alternative expressions. I like to think that your continuing to read the chapters suggests that you enjoy the story nonetheless. I am eliminating some repetitions, but not all of them; the alternatives are not the same thing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
@Anonymous 10/11/13

Your snide comment to Lean5red was uncalled for; the girl is expressing an honest opinion; perhaps she's not an English Major, so what? Her opinion was honest, and honestly expressed; quit being so judgemental, climb down off your pedestal, and try developing a little kindness in thought; my mom used to say if you can't say something nice, say something helpful; your comment was neither.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous