Dragon Clans Bk. 01 Pt. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Vjax
Vjax
947 Followers

Valerie was greeted by almost everyone. There were hugs and waves as they made their way down the path to where the games were being held.

Michael noted that Tera was tense, her eyes always scanning the crowd, her body coiling with kinetic energy every time Valerie was stopped by someone.

"Relax," Michael whispered into Tera's ear as he walked beside her.

"No one she knows from here poses a threat. It's the strangers we need to keep an eye open for," he said, his hand slipping around her waist.

With a sigh she answered him.

"I know it's just hard to break the old patterns." Her body loosing a bit of tension as she felt his arm slip around her.

They walked on, both Tera and Michael noting a number of very intense young men with close cropped hair and dark glasses filtering in and out of the crowd.

Tera surmised that Nigel's other two teams were on site; this lessened her stress level even more as they pulled up in front of the archery range.

Four men were standing in a line, thatch filled targets about one hundred meters in front of them. Each held an English long bow. The golden tones of the Yew used to make these amazing bows glowed in the noonday sun as the archers prepared to loose their flight.

As was the custom, Ian was officiating and saw the trio come up to the railing at the side of the range. He walked over to them as the archer's nocked their last arrows.

"Care to take a shot or two Michael?" Ian asked in a jovial tone as he offered his hand to the younger man.

Michael laughed as he took Ian's hand.

"Not today. I think an English long bow is beyond my skill level," Michael answered as they watched the flight streak down the range.

"The damn things are huge," Michael commented as the archers returned to resting position, the tips of their bows extending over the heads of the men.

Ian stepped a few paces and retrieved one the tournament bows from the rack and handed it to Michael.

"Six feet six inches, the standard length agreed upon by most scholars," Ian said as Michael ran his hand along the smooth taught wood.

"It takes about four years to make them properly, there are a number of imitations out there that use newer materials or wet Yew to speed up the process. But these are as close as we can get to the ones uses in the thirteen hundreds." Ian said as he turned to sign the official note of the flight.

"Can I try one," Tera said, as she slipped the bow from Michael's grip.

Hefting its weight and testing the tension on the string she was impressed by the pull of the beast.

"Just over 100lbf, if your wondering about the pull strength," Ian commented as he moved aside letting Tera into the archery line.

Michael and Valerie watched as Tera slid off the light jacket she wore. Beneath was a simple tank top, which showed her toned and well-muscled arms.

Stretching for a moment Tera picked up the bow and again tested the draw.

Ian was impressed by the seeming ease with which she drew back the string, holding it steady for a few seconds before gently releasing its hold.

"Not many women shoot the English long," Nigel's voice from behind her startled her and she turned.

She found him smiling at her, taking a wicked pleasure in teasing his operative.

Tera un-tensed and placed a warm hand on his shoulder.

"It should be interesting, it's been a very long time since I shot one of these," she said.

The bow's themselves were works of art, lovingly crafted from native Yew, left to dry and age appropriately then formed into one of history's most feared weapons.

Walking over to the blocks Tera felt the weight of the bow in her hand, judged its balance and then struck a wide stance as she nocked the arrow.

The pull was as she remembered, holding it brought back one of those ancient lectures from S.A.S. school. The English long bow was made for distance, hundreds, in some cases thousands of archers would stand off from an opposing army at ranges around two hundred meters. When the order was given a deadly cloud would be loosed towards the enemy. Accuracy was not the key to their effectiveness; it was a range and numbers game.

Tera smoothly pulled back the arrow, the string pulling hard against her fingertips. The Yew groaning in protest as the pressure built.

Raising the bow as she pulled back she gauged the distance and wind. Setting the arrows trajectory at about thirty degrees Tera took a deep breath, steadying herself as the pull reached its maximum.

Releasing the three-foot arrow from the bow made a sound a kin to a sword slipping through the air close to your ear. She watched it's ballistic arc in her minds eye as the arrow flew to quickly to actually be seen.

The bow went slack in her hands as the motion was completed, her right arm a bit warmer than the left due to the exertion.

"In the yellow," the call came down from the other end of the range. It was accompanied by applause from the spectators.

"An excellent shot," Nigel said patting Tera on the back.

"Lucky, it's been a really long time," Tera responded handing the bow back to Ian.

"That shot should get you in the finals, I hope you'll come back by this afternoon and give it a try," Ian said, once again impressed by the young woman.

"Sounds like fun," Tera said as she slid her jacket back on.

Walking over to Michael and Valerie she was greeted with hugs and a long lingering kiss from Michael.

"Your just full of surprises," he whispered into her ear as he gave her a playful slap on the ass.

"You have no idea," the sensual tone of Tera's response left no doubts that she was not talking about martial skills.

With smiles on their faces the trio moved off into the crowd, eager to see what other things were going on at the festival.

"It was a really good shot," Ian said to Nigel as the next round of archers found their marks.

"Don't let her fool you, there was nothing lucky about it, I've rarely encountered anyone with as much innate skill as she has. She carries it easily though, there is a depth with her that seems to provide a great deal of balance to how she walks through life," Nigel said as he moved off towards Sims who had just come jogging up.

"What is it," Nigel asked, seeing the concerned look on the younger man's face.

"We think Nicholas is in the area. One of the hounds tracked him to an apartment in London, seems he left late last night. Some of the outlying sweeper teams have reported intermittent contact with an unknown figure. Damdest thing, one minute they have him and go to move in, the next instant he is gone. They find tracks but they just lead them in a circle." Sims answered.

Nigel mulled this over for a few seconds before turning back to Sims.

"Call in the sweeper teams, I want everyone here in the crowd ASAP, I have a bad feeling about this," Nigel told Sims who quickly moved off and began talking into his com.

"Nicholas may be in the area," Nigel told Ian as he watched the archers let loose with their arrows.

"I thought he might be, keep an eye on Millie and Michael, if he actually shows up your main concern, your only concern Nigel is to keep Michael out of harms way, he isn't ready for Nicholas, not yet." Ian said as he moved off to congratulate the winner of the round.

Nigel was more disturbed with the calm ease with which Ian took the news of Nicholas possibly being in the area than he was his quick response regarding Millie and Michael.

"I'm missing something," Nigel said to himself as he headed back to the castle to coordinate the added coverage. The nagging feeling that he was overlooking something still gnawing at his thoughts.

Sims saw Michael, Valerie and Tera as they walked towards the tournament grounds. Having a bit of an inspirational thought he jogged towards them calling out to Tera.

The trio turned just as Sims came to them.

"Sorry to bother you," Sims said as he saw the questioning look in Michael's eyes.

"Tera, I was wondering if I could borrow you for a bit, there is...something in the barracks I would really like your opinion on." Sims asked.

Looking briefly at Michael and Tera, noting the three watchers who had been shadowing them since they left the castle close by, Tera made up her mind quickly.

"Of course, happy to help out."

"I won't be long, you two stay on the grounds, no wandering off," Tera said to her mates, her tone carrying the subtle ring of sarcasm and the not so subtle tone of the worry behind the request.

"We'll be good mom," Valerie answered with a pout that made Tera smile.

"Don't be gone long," Michael said to her as he gave her a lingering kiss before letting her slide from his arms.

"The kiss still tingled on Tera's lips as she moved off with Sims.

Michael, slipping his arm around Valerie's waist steered them towards the large fenced area that held the jousting tournament.

He felt Tera's absence but was surprised to find that Valerie not only occupied her own space but also filled up some of the void left by Tera.

He had noticed the fluid nature of the feelings they each gave to him off and on this weekend whenever the three of them had been in close proximity. The level of energy and emotion seemed to be moving towards a place of equilibrium. When one was gone the other compensated. He hoped it was the same for them when he was not around. Michael would not wish for them to feel any loss at all, especially one that was of his doing.

Valerie stood next to Michael at the fence. She watched him for a time, studying his face as the varying expressions passed over it as he watched the matches. His face was expressive, 'he would suck at poker,' she thought to herself with a laugh.

He turned to her during a pause, his eyes roaming over her face, his eyes coming to meet hers. He watched her for a moment, then she felt his body tense as he pulled her to him, his neck bending, the vein there exposed she could see his heartbeat increase. Her eyes closed as his lips met hers. It was a sweet passionate dance as their lips slid over the other, his tongue gently tracing the line where her lips met until they parted and her own tongue slid next to his.

She was a bit breathless as he broke the kiss. His eyes now held a smoldering desire whose power caused her knees to quiver.

"I love you Valerie," Michael said as he cupped her cheek before turning his attention back to the riders in the ring.

There was a deep need imparted by the tone of his voice as he said this. It struck her that Tera and she had probably hurt him by not talking to him about living with him.

Tera had mentioned it this morning after she came back from her run. Michael had asked her about his offer of them moving in with him. She said it seemed he was bothered by their silence on the subject.

She realized in that moment, with the sound of his voice in her ears that he may have felt abandoned by them. And this was the last thing she wanted.

Valerie knew the conversation was one they had to have when they were all together but she still needed to try and assuage his perceived feeling, even if small, that they could choose anything but being with him.

Looking around she smiled and slid her hand into his.

"Come with me," she said, her tone allowing for no arguments as she pulled him towards the temporary stables.

.........

Tera glanced between the monitors and the file in her hands.

Sims had filled her in on the way back to the barracks about the young woman.

Tera had assumed she was simply another operative, sent to deal with Michael as the other ones had been.

But now, seeing her, she felt differently. There was something unique about her that Tera could not put her finger on.

The young woman seemed to be an enigma. In this day and age someone not showing up on the radar for 12 years and then only to disappear again was just unheard of.

"Nothing but her name?" Tera asked Sims who was watching the monitors intently.

"Nope, just the first name. It was odd, like she wanted to say more but couldn't. I am pretty good at reading people and she just does not strike me as the terrorist type," Sims answered never taking his eyes off the young woman.

In less than a day he had become somewhat taken with the quiet woman and her haunted eyes.

"Let me see if I can get through," Tera said as she turned and walked towards the holding room.

Elise knew Tera was coming before the door even opened.

The war that had calmed to an understood stalemate ratcheted back up as she became aware of the latent force that moved towards her.

In this both the warring parties in her mind found a shared purpose as they both wished to get away from what was sure to come through the door.

A part of Elise knew such terror in that moment because she had not carried out her final order. The master would be furious with her.

The other part of Elise felt a cloying fear that this time he would finally break her, that the small part of her that was still...hers...would be finally lost in the face of his evil.

The scream surprised Tera as she opened the door.

The girl was huddled in the corner farthest from the door, curled into a tight ball. Tears streamed down her face, which was pulled tight in look of shear and utter panic.

"Shhhhh, it's alright, I'm not going to hurt you," Tera said in soft, soothing voice.

Elise was stunned by the womans presence, she was sure, absolutely positive that the master was going to come through the door. To encounter someone else who felt so similar left the girl in a state of wonder.

Sims had watched the monitors as Tera left; saw the young woman change almost the instant she started for the door.

He had found prisoners of war in such a state, strong able men who had been beaten down by such cruel acts that they had simply broken under the strain.

To see the same pain etched across this woman's face tore at his heart.

"My name is Tera, I'm not going to hurt you, no one here is going to hurt you," Tera said as she eased into the room and closed the door.

She sat Indian style across from Elise. Not getting to close, allowing the woman her space.

Elise reached out with her senses, trying to get an idea of who or what this woman was.

What she encountered was something so very different than what she had found the last time she did so that it took her a moment to really understand the truth of it.

She did not generate the feeling of the master. It was as if the echo of being close to it clung to her form. She immediately understood that Tera meant her no harm, that the truth of her words was reflected in her heart.

Just as this realization hit home and she relaxed just the slightest bit, the other side of her grabbed the opportunity.

Reaching for heavy end table Elise moved with surprising speed. Picking it up she threw it at the mirror along the back of the wall. The shattered jagged pieces falling to the floor.

Elise was still in motion, moving towards the shards on the floor, her intent coming to Tera in a wave of understanding as her own body moved to stop the young woman from reaching her goal.

......

Valerie pulled Michael into the shaded depths of the empty stables. With the tournament going on the space was cool and quiet.

Valerie moved to Michael, molding herself to his body. Her head lay against his chest, she could feel the heat emanating from his body as she began to speak.

"Michael, I want you to know that you mean the world to Tera and I. We have been a bit...stand offish the last few days but please do not take it personally. We both love you. I am amazed at how my feelings for you have grown and deepened over such a short time."

Valerie felt comforted as he wrapped his arms around her. He made her feel so safe, loved and wanted all in the same moment.

Looking up into his eyes, seeing the sparkling passion dancing within them she continued.

"Tera and I had some things to work out, we haven't forgotten what you asked, and we will discuss it when the time is right. Until then know that we are here and there is no place either of us would rather be."

Valerie's words were cut off as Michael leaned down and kissed her. It was a strong and gentle thing. Full of the passions and needs of his body, mind and soul.

They lingered there in the shadowed depths, their lips and bodies providing physical confirmation of the simple truth in their hearts. That they were both...loved.

Finally pulling away from Michael, her breath heavy as her hands lay flat on his chest Valerie said, "ok, ok, we better go find Tera"

Valerie knew that they had to find the right time and place to have their conversation. She didn't know about Tera but for her the waiting, while necessary, had strained her beyond the breaking point. If she didn't have Michael soon she might just go out of her mind.

She pulled a grinning Michael behind her as she made for the castle to track down her errant mate.

Vjax
Vjax
947 Followers
12