February Sucks: Same Old Me (2of4)

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Give it time. It's hard when the kids are that young."

"I know. I don't think it's just a matter of time, though." He fixed me with his gaze. "It means the world to Carol that you're here, now. She feels like she's won the lottery. We're just sorry about the reason for it. But look at you. You're out here consoling me. It was supposed to be the other way around."

"Well. Sometimes helping helps. We've all got to help each other, don't we? Life is hard enough."

"You said it."

We'd come to the end of the bourbon and he'd smoked his cigar down to a stub, so we went back inside to talk to mom.

***

The next day, they took me out into the front range, up into Estes National Park, and we hiked around in the mountains, all the way around Bear Lake, at ten thousand feet above sea level. I got winded easily, remembering Pete's admonition to go to the gym. The light had a quality and clarity to it that I'd never seen before, and I'd never realized that a sky could be so blue. I ate wild-caught salmon that made every fish I'd tasted before in my life seem like soggy cardboard in comparison. There were streams and trees and deer and happy people in the tiny town where we'd stopped and bought souvenirs. We drove past the Stanley Hotel, the resort where "The Shining" was filmed. It was the best day I'd had since Valentines' Day, snowed in with the kids, back when we were still a family. Three weeks ago. A thousand years ago.

I'd meant to open my laptop that evening, to read more divorce advice and work on my letter to Linda and the one to Doctor Manette, but I didn't. I'd stayed up talking to Mom and Bob. Probably better that way.

Breakfast was more pancakes and eggs and bacon than I'd ever had in one sitting, and it extended well past brunch. They took me back to the airport with mutual promises that we'd do more of this, and I was on my way... home?

God, did I even have a home anymore?

***

The story continues with February Sucks: Same Old Me 3