Feldare Tales: A Dark and Stormy Knight

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She nodded. "I am pretty sure, he's not slipped up even once if it is," said Nadia.

He gave her a glum look. "Then I recommend you send him on his way soonest you can," said Tammer. "Else there will be trouble from it, mark my word."

Nadia turned a wry look upon him. "It would figure, that I finally find a man I can stomach and he's a villain," she said.

Tammer patted her hand gently. "I am sorry, my dear." se said, "but if he is a servant of a Black Templar, or, One forbid, a Black Templar himself, then you want him far from here if his memory returns, assuming it's lost."

She nodded morosely. "Of course, you're right, Tammer," said Nadia. She took a very large pull of her mead. "I just feel rotten turning him out."

"You'll feel more rotten if you bring down the wrath of a Dark Templar on Morrovale," retorted Tammer. "Trust me girl, if you don't wish this to return to haunt you, then get him away from here, and gone. Even if it hurts.

She finished her mead in one long swallow and stood up, leaving three copper coins on the bar. "Sage advice always comes with a price," she said, her mouth twisting up at the corners. "Usually one that cannot be measured in coin." She strode from the tavern and back onto the sunlit street. With a few quick questions around she found Gavin at a street vendor's stall, stuffing brotwurst into his mouth. He grinned up at her, with chunks of sourkraut hanging from his lips.

"This man is a Black Templar?" she asked herself below her breath. She shook her head and went to his side. "Enjoying yourself are you?" she asked.

He smiled after he swallowed a massive mouthful of sausage. "Indeed," he said as she held up two fingers to the vendor, who immediately began preparing her own brotwurst and kraut. "I hadn't realized how hungry I was until I got a good nose full of these brotwursts."

She laughed, but it felt forced to her own ears. "Well, we can go back to my house soon," she said. "I've finished my business here."

He nodded. "I was hoping that I might find someone here who could help me, a healer or some such," he said.

She visibly blanched at that idea. "I don't know, Gavin," she said, trying to come up with a plausible excuse. "Such services are beyond my meager means," she finally said.

"I understand, I don't wish to impose upon you any more than I already have," he said, his tone sounding somewhat defeated.

She kissed his brow. "Look on the bright side," she said. "You don't have any bad memories of your past, either."

Gavin smiled at that. "This is true," he said, watching her devour two sausages and a plate full of kraut in a single breath, it seemed. She looked up from her plate. "We will see what can be done tomorrow," she said. "I will be coming into town to take care of some purchases and such."

"Very well," he said, though his eyes were still worried-looking.

The sun was low over the fired-clay roofs of the village homes and businesses, and most of the shops were closing up. There was a tolling of the bell at the chapel at the far side of the square for evening mass. She rose from her seat. "Do you pray to the One?" she asked, amazed that she had not before.

"I don't know, Nadia," he said. "Is it something most people do?"

"Well, most men and halflings do," she said, nodding. "But you're half-elven, so I wouldn't know. Would you like to escort me to the mass?"

"I would escort you anywhere you like, you're a fine trophy for any man's arm," he said, holding out his own arm.

She beamed as envious looks came from many quarters from women who finally realized the beautiful and muscular newcomer was spoken for, at least for now. They walked across the square and joined the crowd flowing through the four large doorways into the chapel.

A young girl in blue robes ushered them to a pew where they sat between two giggling teenage girls and an elderly couple. The girls seemed fascinated by Gavin, and Nadia could not blame them. She kept her arm possessively on his. The ceremony for evening mass was short, as always. A prayer and a hymn from the choir followed by a reading of the Book of the One. Then the pastor would speak on current issues for a moment that concerned the flock and the duchy, as a sort of mass communication of matters. He then would offer a last prayer and the donation plates would be passed about.

Nadia placed three silver coins in the plate, which had only copper in it when they received it. She gave generously to the church, as the church had been the only source of food for many a night after her parents had died.

As they were leaving, the pastor plucked them out of the flow of the people. "Nadia," he said. "It is good to see you in church, dear." He had a very kind, if somewhat pudgy face, and was widely recognized as one of the finest pastors around. "And you bring a guest." He looked toward Gavin, then his eyes widened. "You're a half elf." His mouth turned up with a wide smile, and he bowed slightly. "Blessed are the elven, the angels among us."

Gavin blinked at this. "Angel?" he asked. "Why do you say that, priest?"

Father Bandras looked at him with a slight tilt to his head. "The elven are blessed of the One and enjoy his grace. It is written in the Book of the One."

"But I am half elven." Gavin said. "Wouldn't that mean I am only half blessed."

The pastor laughed deeply, a belly laugh and his face reddened. "That is very good," he said, catching his breath. "Sorry, young man, but one cannot be half blessed, either you are or you are not," he looked more seriously at Gavin, "and you are."

Gavin nodded and smiled. "That is well, then," he said. "I thank the One for his blessing." Nadia watched the two men speak with worried eyes, afraid Gavin may say something or the priest may say something, either of which could precipitate a conversation that would quickly tread onto ground she wished to remain untrod.

The pastor just patted Gavin's shoulder and made the Sign of the Triad upon the couple, which told Nadia the conversation was over. They moved off as another member of the flock was singled out for some attention from the cleric.

As they crossed the square. "A kind man," said Gavin. "I could feel it."

She nodded. "He helped me a lot when my parents died, and never even used the opportunity to preach at me, or my little brother."

"You are fortunate to live in this land," said Gavin. "There are far less caring and warm places."

She looked at him. "Memory?" she asked.

He blinked. "It just comes to me, I see squalid slums and vile places in massive cities for a brief moment," he said. "I know such places must exist and they are not pleasant, like Morrovale. I hope my home is somewhere like this fine town."

Nadia had never thought like that before. Morrovale was a good place to live? She had always assumed it was like everywhere else, both good and bad, but he seemed to think differently.

"I wish my memories would return, so I could tell you about me and my life," said Gavin. "It would be a joy to tell you about my parents, I am sure."

"They will come back to you eventually, Gavin, I have heard it is so," said Nadia. Then thought to herself, only they must not come back.

---

The sun was low in the sky, nearly touching the trees as they reentered her little home. Pamela was cooking supper when they entered, and the smell of chicken roasting over fire made their mouths water. The girl bustled around the kitchen and Nadia went to speak to her. Gavin busied himself by looking around the great room. He jumped when Pamela screeched in delight from the kitchen area, hugging the huntress' neck fiercely.

The young girl said, "You're really going to let me apprentice to you?" To which Nadia nodded.

"You are ready, though it will be a hard trial," said Nadia. "You will have to be strong."

The girl laughed. "I will be, ma'am," said Pamela, there were tears in her eyes and she was smiling so broadly, it surely was hurting her cheeks.

As they finished supper, both Nadia and Gavin thanking and praising Pamela's skill with spices and fire, there was a loud knock upon the door of the house.

Pamela was first to react and ran for the door, a moment later she gestured for Nadia to come to the door and came back to the table. She smiled at Gavin. "It was another hunter, come to tell her some news or another," she said.

At the door waited a huntsman that Nadia knew well, it was Trevir, another of the new generation of hunters. He had recently been awarded his own allotment and was, like her, still flush with excitement for the profession. "Good evening, Trevir, would you like to come in? I have a guest you might wish to meet," she said, smiling.

Trevir glanced over her shoulder toward Gavin. "I cannot stay, and neither can he," he said. "There's someone in town looking for him, several someones actually, rather rough-looking people." His voice lowered to a conspiratorial whisper. "I think they're bounty hunters."

Nadia stared at him a long moment. "What makes you think they were hunting him?" she said, though she knew he was correct.

Trevir glanced over her shoulder again. "There's no one else about that fits the description of muscular half elf with dark hair and blue eyes, is there?" he said. "No one's told them anything, yet, but they've started offering money for information. It's only a matter of time before someone talks, and you were seen with him."

"Did they say what they wanted with him?" asked Nadia.

"No," replied Trevir. "They're a mysterious lot themselves, that's the main reason no one's talked yet, no one trusts them, and it seems that Gavin there has already made a few friends in town."

Nadia smiled while looking back. Gavin had by then grown concerned with the long conversation in the doorway and was looking toward them. "I think you should tell him," she finally said, grabbing Trevir's wrist and pulling him into the house. He began a squawk of protest but soon was in no position to refuse.

"Gavin, Trevir here says he had news for you," said Nadia. "Not good news."

Trevir nervously danced from foot to foot under Gavin's stare. "Yes, Trevir?" he said, smiling slightly.

Finally, the youth met the man's eyes. "There's people in town, nasty-looking people, looking for you," he said. "They don't look like they just want to talk, either."

Gavin half rose from the chair. "Did they say what they want of me?" he asked.

Trevir shook his head. "They claim to be friends of yours," he said, "but won't give a name for you or anything but a description of being a muscular half elf with dark hair and blue eyes."

"We must go back to the woods Gavin," said Nadia. "You can't stay here in town, not until they leave."

Trevir shook his head. "That's no good," he said. "Everyone knows where your lands are. I'll take him to my land. I've recently built a little hut and he can stay there a few days. It's farther out than yours. They're less likely to go that far out looking for him. Besides, if you go missing, after they find out he's with you, then they'll just know they have two people to seek out."

Nadia grimaced at the choices before her. "It's up to Gavin, in the end," she said.

Both of the young hunters looked at him. He thought a long moment. "Somehow, running doesn't seem the option I would choose," he finally said. "No. I want to face these people."

"Are you sure?" gasped Nadia. "If they're as rough looking as Trevir says."

Trevir said, "They are tough-looking customers, to be sure, but if we force the meeting we might maintain control of the situation." He thought a moment. "Okay, I'll tell you what. You two go into town and lie low, just hide out until midnight, then go to the Boar. Tammer and I will make sure the meeting is peaceable."

Gavin and Nadia nodded and thanked Trevir for coming out to warn them. As he left he said to Nadia, "Be careful, huntress, Tammer told me this man lost his memory. Perhaps there is a reason." She nodded and hugged him as he left.

The couple left the house a few minutes later and went toward down, moving cautiously off the road whenever they saw others coming toward them. They hid in a darkened alley near the Pierced Boar and when the small bells of the chapel rang the midnight tones, they went into the Boar.

Gavin took in the tavern as they entered. Nadia noticed his eyes checking every corner automatically and inventorying the people present. "There are over a dozen huntsmen here," he said quietly.

They passed through the thin haze of pipe smoke and the smell of beer and ale that filled the room. Nadia counted fourteen huntsmen among the score of patrons in the Boar. "Yes, but you shouldn't worry about them, they're friends," she replied quietly. The huntsmen studiously ignored the couple as they walked to the bar and seated themselves upon stools. Tammer came over after a moment.

"Well, Trevir went to get those people that were seeking your friend here," he told Nadia. "We will find out what they want."

Gavin said, "Thanks for your help."

"Tell you the truth, son, I think you may be trouble," said Tammer, his eyes a little cold upon the half elf. "But they're also stalking Nadia, and she's family, you see?"

The door opened, and a cool gust of wind blew through the room. Trevir walked in, leading a group of five people. They were as advertized, Nadia saw, a rough-looking bunch. Two were tall, broadly built men, one a small man, but wearing leathers with metal studs riveted into the material, the other two were women, one a tall woman with muscles almost as impressive as the two men, and the other a slight woman with quick eyes. When their eyes fell on Gavin they all looked a bit surprised but quickly recovered their wits.

"Gavin, these are the folks that were seeking you," said Trevir as they walked near.

The half elf regarded the five people. "What do you want of me?" he asked, his face blank and unreadable.

The slight woman began to speak, but one of the tall men spoke first. "We must speak with you, alone," he said. "It is very important."

"You can speak to me here," said Gavin. "And I would have the names of people who go about calling me their friend."

They looked about themselves. "If we must we will take you captive to speak to you," the man said.

Tammer moved toward the knot of people speaking. "We'll have no trouble in my tavern, folks," he said. "Either you all talk civil, else I throw you lot out."

The taller woman spoke. "Old man, you know not what.. . ." She stopped speaking when there was a chorus of chairs groaning behind her. She turned to see over half the patrons standing at their tables, and regarding the group with openly hostile eyes. Belatedly, she also noticed the strung bows that were under the tables and now sat openly upon them.

"You will speak your piece here and now, and you will do so with no further threats, to anyone, understand missy?" said Tammer in a hushed tone of anger. "This is my place and you will behave as a guest should, and I will behave as a host should."

The little group started talking among themselves in some language other than Westron. Finally, they broke their little huddle and looked toward Gavin. "It is imperative that we speak with you. Two of us will go to speak, the other three will stay in here, as proof of our good will in this matter."

Gavin looked at Nadia. "I will go with him," she said. "He is my companion, and I will not be separated from him." The slight woman began to speak again, but a quick glance from the large man, evidently their chosen spokesman, she shut her mouth.

"Very well," the man said. "You can come. Are we agreed?"

Gavin nodded, but looked very unhappy, and not a little worried.

Nadia turned to Tammer. "My friend, may we borrow your basement for a few minutes?"

Tammer nodded. "You may," he said, "but one sound of trouble and we love tap the three up here and everyone comes down there to get our girl out." His eyes were on the large spokesman. The slight man and the small woman stepped forward and they walked after Nadia and Gavin toward the door to the storeroom.

They passed through the racks of bottles and kegs that filled the storeroom until they came to a steep stair down into darkness. Grabbing a lamp from the storeroom wall, Nadia led the other three down to the basement. Huge kegs of beer covered one wall of the room, and more shelves covered the other walls. The musty smell of age permeated the chamber.

Gavin turned toward the two people, who were shorter, even, than he. "What is all this about?"

The man stepped forward. "You have been injured," he said. "Your name is not Gavin."

Gavin snorted. "Well, that's obvious, but a known tale in town now," he said. "I suppose you know my name?"

"Arviel," the woman said, her dark eyes glinting. The man looked sharply at her and she looked down at the floor.

"As Nasina says, Arviel is your name," the man said. "My name is Perdan. And we are your friends, but you wouldn't remember that, even if your memory returned."

Gavin barked a laugh. "What the hell does that mean?" he said.

Perdan said, "I have to access your mind and open it to your self." He held up a golden circlet that would fit about a man's head.

"You're using no magical device on me," said Gavin. "I do not even know I can trust you."

The slight woman said, "You must!" Stepping forward again.

The man looked at her again and shushed her.

"I'll not stand silent any more, Perdan," she hissed. "You must let him use it."

"And why would your saying so influence me?" said Gavin, eyeing the woman.

The woman was crying now. "Because I am your wife!" she yelled through the tears.

Nadia gasped at the woman's words, and Gavin even took a half step back. The woman had her fists clenched so tightly that her knuckles shone white.

"Because I love you," she said, quietly now. "Because you loved me."

Gavin looked at the man. "She speaks truth?" he asked, his eyes wide with disbelief.

The man looked sourly at the woman, then nodded. "Yes. She is your wife."

"Use the ring then," said Gavin. "But I warn you, if this is some trick and I ever find out that it was so, I will kill you very, very slowly. Both of you."

The man stepped up to him and sat the ring upon Gavin's brow. He stepped back and pulled forth a parchment scroll. Then he spoke words of unfamiliar sound, words that stuck to the insides of one's mind then were gone utterly. The ring around Gavin's head glowed faintly blue then flashed.

The man looked hopefully at Gavin and was dead before he even realized what had hit him. The leather thongs that bound the sword crosspiece were simply snapped through by Gavin's powerful arms. As he turned toward the woman named Nasina she screamed, running for the stairs. Gavin's sword was in his hands and he snarled after the woman in an unfamiliar tongue, the words dripped hate and vileness into Nadia's ears, as if the very sound of them was tainting her. He ripped off the golden circlet and hurled it into the corner, cursing.

As he gave chase there was the sound of many running feet coming down. Huntsmen poured down the steps, bows readied. Gavin gave another almost beastial snarl and grabbed Nadia's hand. "You'll come with me, bitch, else I'll gut you where you stand!" he grated this out, his voice harsh and low.

Too stunned to resist, Nadia let herself be dragged up the back stair and watched as the man bashed the locked cellar doors open with his shoulder. As the huntsmen peered up the steep stair, he looked back and snarled a couple of short words. A gust of wind whipped around Nadia's head and shot down the stairs, gaining speed and power as it went. The huntsmen at the bottom fell, flying back into the wall behind them and then the doors slammed shut.

Finally getting her wits about her, Nadia said, "Where are you taking me?"

1...345678