Forward to the Stars Ch. 02

Story Info
The five settle in. The search for IT begins AND ends.
3.5k words
4.42
14.3k
3
0

Part 2 of the 18 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 10/04/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After everything had been squared away in the bunkhouse they took Brianna to the main house for supper. As Brian walked to the door Tina hollered "Where you going?"

Brian looked over his shoulder, "Deal with Leo, we'll piggyback Brie back to the bunkhouse after supper." As he noticed the confused looks on Tina, Brianna, Michelle and Laria's faces, He sighed, "After you are through working horses, you give them rub downs and check for sprains or scratches that have to be dealt with, if they aren't dealt with quickly enough the problems compound exponentially."

Mich looked up as he came in with one of the roasts for supper hearing this. "Micheal go with him and show him where everything is would you? Oh and Brian if you ever want a job, let me know would you?"

Brian chuckled, "THANKS I very well might take you up on that!! Really though, horses are one of the several animals I really have a hard time attuning to."

One of the work hands laughed. "Hey he took me on, so even if you aren't really the best with horses no real big deal."

***************

"Hey you're pretty good at this Brian, where did you learn to deal with horses?" Micheal exclaimed as he watched Brian start dealing with Leos' rub down.

Brain stopped a moment causing Micheal to wonder if it was something that he'd prefer not to talk about, Brian sighed. "My mom was married three times, first was my father, second was a city guy that thought he was a farm guy, third was a 'ca-boy'".

"Ca-Boy?? What the hell is a ca boy I've heard of a lot of things but never a ca-boy!" asked Micheal. "Is it something like a wannabe cowboy?"

"If you knew what it was, why did you ask what it was? Brian asked chuckling. "But yeah a ca-boy is basically a guy that dresses like a cowboy, rides in parades, MIGHT be able to perform in a rodeo and thinks he's in a Louis L'Amour western. One of the main reasons I don't really attune with horses very well is that dip shit and his friends' idea of a smart, capable horse."

Micheal cocked a eyebrow and snickered. "That stupid huh?"

"The problem was that while my step-dad claimed the horses were smarter than people the dumbest of horses really WERE smarter than those guys. You could have taken a pickax to the forehead to their idea of a smart horse and they MIGHT have blinked before trying to shoo the fly away from their foreheads." The contempt in Brian's voice couldn't have been missed even if Micheal had wanted to.

"Don't worry."Micheal said raising his hands in defense of the ranch." The first sign of that kind of intelligence and we advise getting rid of horses like that. We're to close to the mountains to be able to handle horses that don't know that mountain lions aren't friendly!"

Brian looked up sharply from looking over the inside of Leos' hind leg. "How badly was the rider hurt?"

As Micheal got back from getting Leos' grain ration he was noticeably whiter. "He'll never be able to walk the same but he survived, his injuries were more from Pistol stomping him after he was thrown. Luckily it wasn't a mountain lion that startled him, it was whatever it is over in Two-Peak."

Brian looked around. "So Pistol got spooked and wasn't drawn like the rest are?"

"What do you mean drawn?" Micheal asked nearly throwing his neck out of alignment.

Brian couldn't help but chuckle as Micheal rubbed his neck. "You know a good chiropractor around here, because it looks like you might need one. But yeah all the horses are for the most apart facing one direction and they are as close to that area of their stalls as they can get."

Micheal groaned. "Well I don't know if she's good but Tabby is all this area has in the way of a chiropractor." Micheal smirked as he looked about the barn. "I've lived here all my life, so no I've never really noticed until you pointed it out just now, but they're ALWAYS doing that. As far as I know anyway, something to ask about at supper. They're probably waiting on us so lets not keep them any longer."

**********

As the Micheal and Brian entered the dinning area of the house the thunderstorm that had been holding back decided to cut loose with everything including the kitchen sink. Looking out into the storm Micheal shook his head."Looks like people will be stuck here for a few days until the road's a little drier, hey Brian ended up pointing something out in the barn. Has anyone noticed the horses congregating in a certain area of their stalls and pointing in the same direction all the time if they're not doing something?"

"Yeah" said Mich, "and always in the direction that 'feeling' always seems to come from. Well if nothing else our new neighbors might be able to finally find out whats causing that awful 'feeling' and save us from the terrible curse that haunts our dreams."

Brian smirked at the dramatics in Michel's voice. "Eh who knows, besides without it the lumber industry would have clear cut this area sometime ago. Or that's what those lumber jerks in town made it sound. Anyway most feelings of 'get out' are limited to things like buildings or smallish areas not areas miles away. The 'feelings' that come from miles away are usually meant to draw you to them! NOT drive you away."

"Well whichever it is, its driven most people from around here." Wailed a blonde of about 13 or so, "I get my friend Tammy interested in horses, get my dad to buy her one and the first time that feeling picks up and she bolts."

"Cynthia wasn't it?" Asked Michelle. "Exactly how much of a city girl was she, I mean really most city people cant physiologically handle being out of cities. They might do well enough out on a highway but even a place like this its far to.... hey Brian give me a hand here would you?"

Brian looked at as he was helping Brianna into a chair and groaned. "FINE! Screeched Michelle, "Its to dirty, very little is paved over, there's clean fresh air, there's even beautiful scenery around here. Its far to foreign to most city people."

"And isn't it such a beautiful view?" came a voice from the kitchen doorway.

"You know you could have called for some help Mrs. Michel, sorry but I'm LOUSY with names I go with faces mostly." Brian said hurrying over to give her a hand with a pot of gravy.

"That's okay, its Cheryl. Really while you are correct there are a lot of people that can't handle the natural setting of this place, what drives most people away is the 'feeling' that Two-Peak generates. So if ANY of you can do ANYTHING about that feeling that place causes we all will be grateful!!" The cheer that went up from that was only drowned out by the crash of thunder that shook both windows and teeth.

*************

As dinner was being finished the worst of the storm was beginning to move on and people started to feel the ever present 'presence' of of whoever or whatever that was in Two-Peak Pass. "So this is the feeling that everyone is talking about." Laria said with little enthusiasm. "You get a more ominous dread from listening to Washington politicians giving a speech on all the good they have just done for the country."

Micheal in a voice filled with no enthusiasm spoke up. "WAIT for it, it'll pick up soon enough. Always does right after a storm."

"Fine, I'll go see what I can do tomorrow after morning whatever is accomplished." Brian said. "Though I WILL need someone to go with me. While I DO know how to live in a KANSAS environment with little to no camping gear, this is IDAHO and this area I do NOT know nor am I very willing to try anything around here this late in the year."

"GOOD call Brian."Mich exclaimed with a chuckle, "You really do know a thing or two don't you. You and whoever that goes with you had better plan on at least a weeks stay out there though. Its a two day ride to Two-Peak itself that way you'll have five days to look around before the next big weather front is supposed to come our way."

"I'll go with them." Came a voice from the door. "HEY you didn't wait for me., So how much roast and gravy is left for me?

The cry of "Tanya" filled the room as people turned to face the new comer. Mich turned to Brian and the others, "This is Tanya our live on site vet, her being here has been well WORTH the money that she asks." "She could ask for even more and it'd still be worth it." Mich said in a side to Laria as Tanya got a plate and piled it with food.

"So what made you drive all the way out here in the middle of a storm Tanya?" Micheal asked. "Because there's no way you could have just left town and that road no matter how much its resurfaced, that logging company has fucked it all up."

"Well I heard in town that people had bought Two-Peak Pass off the lumber company and they had been offered to be able to hold up here. So I came to see what kind of people had been stupid enough to buy the land." Tanya said through a mouthful of food.

Tina and Brian met each others glance and smiled, Tina walked behind the vet and leaned against her back drawing her into a hug as she stuffed her face. "No one important, just us stupid ignorant Kansans."

Everyone got a chuckle as Tanya choked and scrambled to regain a little dignity after putting her foot in her mouth so effortlessly. "I, I didn't mean anything by all that it', it's just that that land has changed hands so many times....". Her stammering was cut off as Brian placed a hand in front of her.

"It's alright our group is used to being considered fools and treated as such, it just means that when we finally get things into place, well just don't be counted among those that have pissed us off." Brian smiled as Tanya blanched. "Though why you're uneasy is beyond me it's not like you've done anything to make us angry...have you?? HMM??"

"Brian, Tina stop doing that to people weren't you the ones that said we need to play nice!" Brian and Tina choked back laughter even though thy knew Brianna was right.

"Alright Brie, you're right." Tina said surrendering to her sister. "Sorry about that Tanya , you did open yourself up for that though."

Tanya could only blush and contain her humiliation by not saying a word. "Anyway I'll take any help I can on scouting out the Pass, if you're still up for it Tanya." She looked up at Brian who was gathering plates to take into the kitchen so they could be washed and nodded.

**************

As the morning chores were being finished up Tanya found Brian in the middle of feeding the animals that the main ranch buildings had collected over the years. "Well I've got seven including myself, you and Michelle I think her name is wanting to go over and see whats been bothering this area for who knows how long. After you get done come over to the vet shack and we can get started rounding up supplies then we can see about finding adequate horses for the two of you."

Brian felt the weight of dread and past anger push against him and growled like a wet cat deep in his throat. "Don't like horses much do you?" asked Tanya. Brian shook his head as he flicked a finger at one of the barn cats' ears. "Well around here the best way to get around is either horse or walking so better get used to the idea of horses if you want to get anywhere now or later today."

"I only have amateur knowledge at best on how to control horses, I can ride up to that point. I am amiable and they all know that as long as its in the general direction and we both arrive alive I don't really care, as long as we both get there. Wherever there is." Brian said with a chuckle.

Tanya shook her head in agreement, "Well when ever you're done here." Brain waved as he went for the next bag of animal food from the appropriate cupboard.

*************

"Hey Brian" hollered Micheal as Brian walked in to the section of the stables that the horses that weren't ridden all that much were kept. "So Tanya got all her baggage picked out, FINALLY? Oh well lets get you a horse." As they were looking over a fifth horse Micheal leaned over "Have you ever wondered what it'd be like?"

"Be like, what, exactly?" Brian asked. "If you're asking if I've ever fucked a animal or ever thought of it there are three requirements that must be fulfilled before I fuck anything! SENTIENT, FEMALE and also WILLING!!! The palomino mare that you've been shielding me from is at least the last two BUT she still wont accomplish the first. Seriously though after being covered by a stallion wouldn't they be more than a little loose?"

Micheal was all shades of red as he looked over at the mare. "Well mainly because she wont ALLOW people to get on her back. Put a halter and guild her around and all that, even put a saddle on her back but if you try to get ON her back well you better have a pilots license because you'll be needing it and no mainly because I go with the other opening under the tail. That way I can even go with the stallions or the geldings even if they do have a bit of a fit."

Brian walked over to her and scratched her nose. "Well its my air time, lets see how temperamental she is with me. Really I would expect the males to have a fit, only humans stupid enough think that same sex is natural." Micheal just watched as Brian got a halter and put it on her, shaking his head as he scratched her nose and laughed as she tried to nibble his fingers.

"Whatever, I'll get you a saddle from the tack room meet you out at the corral." Micheal hollered after Brian as Brian walked the horse out to the corral.

As Micheal walked up to the corral he looked at all the people that had gathered around the corral to watch Brian get bucked off,"Well here's a saddle and blanket lets see how much she dislikes you Brian." Putting the saddle and the blanket on the corral fence.

"Thanks Micheal!" Brian said as he finished up brushing the horses' back. "Really though IF I'm to get bucked off I think I'll prefer not to be tied to her back with the stirrups if people don't mind, though I will take the blanket and the reins."

************

Mich looked up from the saddle he was working on as Micheal plowed straight into the door frame of the tack room. "You do know that the doorway is three inches to the left right don't you? Anyway How bad was Brian hurt when he got thrown off Athena?" He started to get worried as Micheal sputtered through his bloodied face and was pointing to the corral where he heard people shouting.

"What's happened out......, THE HELL!!" Mich asked as he ran to the corral to see what was the cause of the commotion. The sight in front of him was one that would plague his dreams for months, Athena who would never allow anyone on her back was being ridden and by a AMATEUR at that. Brian, amateur that he was, was doing a spectacular job of gilding her around the corral and all he had to do it with was reins and a blanket.

"She doesn't like corsets, she likes her gut to have free reign." Brian said as he gilded Athena up to the fence where Mich was standing. "Want to give her a try without the saddle?"

Mich started to laugh, "You MIGHT be partially right about the saddle but you leave out the part where she LIKES you. People have tried to ride her without the saddle, she bucked them that much harder so now how about you try riding her with a saddle."

Brian shrugged, "Why not, can't be the only one that's ridden this girl and not gotten thrown. Anyway whats this ones name I didn't ask when I brought her out here.

"Her names Athena, Brian." Tanya said as she got in the corral to give him a hand getting the saddle on Athena's back.

***********

"Hey Brian you can look up now and not to mention breath." Mich hollered at Brian as he chuckled at spectacle that Brian was making of himself up on the Athena's saddle all scrunched down waiting to get thrown. "If she was going to throw you she would have done it once she felt you on the saddle so after three minutes the chance of her throwing you pretty much depends on someone else getting on her back as well."

"So we've finally found someone that can ride Athena, have we? OH and Mich, Micheal will need stitches from trying to implant his face in the door frame. He ripped his top lip open and might have a slight concussion." Cheryl said as she walked up to watch Brian ride Athena around the corral, "Really though riding in a corral is one thing out and about is another. Eric why don't you open the gate, that way we can see how she reacts out of a pen. Cynthia since you're on Breach, ride close so you can grab the reins in case Brian gets thrown."

As the ranch hand opened the corral gate Brian urged Athena out the gate and beside Cynthia "So, one end of the drive and back?" Brian asked as he circled Cynthia and Breach.

"That will have to do IF people want to get going sometime today." Cynthia said as they both got their horses moving.

As Brian and Cynthia completed their short ride Mich laughed at the hilarity of it all. "We've had who remembers how many professionals ride, well TRY to ride Athena and they all failed brutally. You, a amateur show up and she acts like the sweetest most gentle kitten and you can ride her like a professional. If you want to just call her yours! You can HAVE her and save us all a lot of trouble, though I do want the saddle back when you guys get back."

Brian laughed as Athena nickered. "Well since Athena seems to like that idea, I guess I'll go along with it as well. THANKS, though I am so going to end up owing you big time by the time we get a place set up over there." Jerking his thumb in the direction of Two-Peak Pass.

"Hey Brian how in hell did you know that's the direction of Two-Peak?? You're completely lousy with directions and yet you get the direction on the first attempt." Michelle asked a top buckskin gilding.

"Well really I just all in all I followed the tug from the area of Two-Peak." Brain said leaning forward to scratch under Athena's jaw. "I might not get it dead-on but it WILL be the general direction even in the dark and since animals can home in on it even better I'll be relying on Athena on getting me to the source."

************

Six days later as lunch was nearly done in the main ranch building the ring tone of a cellphone made people jump. "Hey whats going on?!!" Mich asked. "This is a dead zone cells don't work around here and there aren't any plans on getting towers or a satellite over us allowing service out here so why are we hearing ring tone?"

"Well Brian DID tell me to keep Tina's cell charged and on me since he felt like it would be needed. So want to see what he wants sis?" Asked Brianna as she tossed Tina her cellphone.

Tina looked looked at her phone and took a deep breath, a little unnerved from what Mich had said about NO cell service around that area. "HELLO?"

"Shut up and don't say anything, just listen! Athena and I ARE okay, we ARE alive BUT we WON'T be able to get to the surface for a few days at best. What's happened will allow ALL our promises to each other to be fulfilled, even though some are long term future plans we will still be able to fulfill them. Tell people this is a six six six area code phone call, when the others get back saying I'm dead go along with it, live it up, just don't let the girls believe any of it okay? Also DON'T allow Micheal to touch Brianna, and DON'T allow him near her bed."