Gary the Obscure

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gary gave it to him in detail and named the agency.

"Gary can I call you back. I need to check out something."

"Sure that's fine," Gary said, believing he was being given the brush off politely and wouldn't hear from Doug. But Doug called back more than an hour later.

"Hi Gary. I called a quick meeting with some of the directors who have been kicking around a possible development with me and you could be the guy for the role as leader. However, when I found that the proposal had bogged down over philosophical disagreements on how it should operate I realized we are months away from getting anything ready to present to the board. So I'm sorry Gary but at the moment we have no position for you."

Well perhaps that was more dignified that a direct brush-off, Gary thought as he slammed his phone down on his desk. Well Madison would be better off focusing on finishing her training rather than coaxing him to give her a baby. That other guy must have been firing blanks

Madison Anderson was home writing a report when the hospital called and said a Mr Gary Gunn wished to be given her phone number urgently on a non-medical matter.

"Yes that's find Mrs Wilks. Give my number to him."

"Hi Gary, it's so lovely of you calling me but I'm truly okay. I had for some weeks been thinking of easing out of the relationship with Peter for some months. He refused to be tested to find if he was the reason why I hadn't become pregnant and the suspect he believed he was the faulty party. I think being asked to consider taking test offended him deeply and he cooled off and finally he told me it was over."

Gary said kindly, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. If he couldn't help me into pregnancy I had no use for him."

Jesus!

"Um I'm surprised with all this training going on that you would have wanted to become pregnant."

"Well Gary, it's like this. When is the right time to become a mother when you are on a 13 to 14-year course in education and training to qualify? As soon as I'm registered I'd want to be jumping big-time into my career."

"How long will it be to finish what you doing now?"

"I finish my internship and residency at the end of next year and then do a 3-year fellowship."

Gary thought this was becoming all too complicated for him. She would shut herself away to study, come home tired after working very long hours at the hospital and growl at him for wanting sex.

They talked on and she asked him about his work and he said he was doing well and lied he believed he was in line for promotion soon.

"Then it sounds you are not thinking of returning here?"

"Well not at the moment. I too have a career to think about."

Madison said of course and half a minute later said she had to go.

Gary thought well he should break with Tina. She'd told him more than once if she married again, the guy would need to be wealthy. While he was living with Tina he was eliminating the chances of meeting a chick who could be worth marrying and doing the let's start a family thing with her. He knew his mom wanted him to have children. He laughed thinking of that late afternoon at home during a visit and they'd kept on drinking after lunch and she slurred that he would make a lovely father and would his children would benefit the world because they would be such great kids.

Yeah right. So where was their great mother?

Gary mentioned to Tina he was thinking about getting his own apartment. Rather surprising, he thought, she burst into tears and asked what she had done wrong. He said nothing, absolutely nothing, and she didn't believe him and went off to bed crying.

Tina was okay next morning and sighed and said well now that he was moving on that was the incentive to move her own life forward.

Gary suggested she should hit big on Andrew Coleman, the agency's director of administration.

"Why suggest him? He's not rich."

"Ah yes, but his ageing parents are rolling in it. I've been to their place with Andrew a couple of times to play tennis and usually have a few beers with him after golf. He's been engaged for four years but two weeks ago his fiancée announced she have found someone else."

"Did she give the ring back to Andrew?"

"Tina, I thought you would have been sorry for Andrew."

"Ah yes, poor Andrew."

"Yes the jeweler took the ring back for two-thirds of what Andrew had paid for it. Andrew said his mother had not liked his fiancée, calling her too common. At least you will score high on that assessment. Do you want me to organize something?"

"No thanks, not interested," Tina said airily.

When Gary held a small party on the evening he shifted into his new apartment, Andrew arrived with Tina on his arm. Gary's partner was a beautiful redhead who spent half the evening trying to drag Gary into the bedroom. She found it difficult to understand that a host had to act the role of host.

A month after moving into his apartment, Gary was called to an executive meeting. He wondered if he was to be fired or more likely to be given a bonus.

"Hi Gary, please sit," said the CEO Walt Irvine.

"Gary you haven 't been with us long and you're young but as everyone here agrees you sure do display some amazing talents, always get the job done on time and you interface very well with people around here and with clients. I've also been reminded you never lack on ideas or initiative and you lead from the front when jobs are design focused."

Perhaps he was about to be given a raise in recognition of those attributes and then fired, Gary thought cynically.

"We are chasing big money Gary. We have decided to triple the income we receive from digital advertising/website development contracts and bolster resources to do it. Jean Harrow who manages that department lacks vision and leadership qualities so we will move her sideways or if she objects, then she'll be invited to resign. You are being invited to head the department as the unit will be named and given the title of director of digital advertising. What do you think of that Gary?"

"The plan and goal of making big money makes my toes curl in excitement Walt."

"We are pleased to hear that Gary, pleased to hear that. You'll be paid more, $160K to be exact."

"Hmmm."

"What's kind of reaction is that?"

"My thinking, taking into account all the pressures and responsibilities Walt is $180K would sound about right."

"We are not a bank Gary."

"Walt I realize that but I also realize the company knows what it's likely to get out of me if I take this on."

Walt glanced at his deputy who nodded just the once and almost imperceptibly.

"Very well young man, $170K and that's top dollar."

"Accepted. May I start tomorrow?"

"Well let's make that Monday. We have to deal with Jean and then explain to the team she is leaving that their unit is being up scaled and relocated to the floor above where they are now. We also have to appoint your PA who'll also processed the department's accounts and keep tabs on expenditure authorizations."

"Then please get me a woman from finance, not general office."

"Good thinking Gary and do you have a requirement for age and hair color?"

The executives laughed.

"No those attributes are incidental. Give me a business or finance graduate who also studied computer technology. No one will work in my department unless they have fundamental knowledge of what we do."

"Gary you've just earned my admiration. Claire make sure the female to transfer has those qualities or else have HR recruit the person from an agency. Glenda please re-assign Gary's work in progress to other people and Gary you work on your department's expansion strategy. Work from home if you wish. It will be okay for you to visit the digital advertising section on Friday afternoon.

Gary called Annie at the medical center where she worked and she appeared nervous at receiving the call.

"Oh hi Gary, is everything all right?"

"Mom you are talking to an executive. The company is enlarging a section into a full department and I'm to manage it. My new title with a hefty pay increase is director of digital marketing, which means principally Internet marketing."

"Oh Gary, how wonderful. I'm so proud of you. I think it's time your father and I came and visited you."

"Oh great, any time after the next couple of weekends would be fine. You guys can stay with me because I've shifted into my own apartment."

"Oh that woman Tina; what's happened to her?"

"She wants to marry a wealthy guy and I think she'd found him."

"Well you get yourself someone quickly Gary, you need a female hovering."

"Mom you are a little out-of-date. Females don't hover around guys anymore. If they are not out with their girlfriends they be home expecting the guy to look after himself or to job share."

"I think you are exaggerating darling."

"No that's about how it is. Well I'll let you get back to your job, keep cool and tell dad my news."

Gary met Britt on Friday afternoon. Tina saw him arrive and kissed him and said she had someone he should meet and made a call and Britt Elder came down to HR to meet her new boss.

Britt was a pretty 28-year old blonde and when Gary commented on that she looked uncomfortable and said she was engaged but intended carrying on working after the wedding early next year.

"What's your degree Britt?"

"Business management and in the interview for this position I was asked a lot of questions about computers and the Internet and web pages and I have no problem answering them. But I must say I'm more of an academic person than a hands-on person."

"Fair enough. It's knowledge that counts for the person I wanted for my PA and to look after admin. Why did Claire Roper pick you?"

She asked for volunteers to transfer to your department and three of us put up our hand. We are all roughly the same age, with similar attributes and being seniors have gone as far as we can go without promotion and most in management in Finance are reasonably young. I guess I appealed to Mrs Roper with my answers and enthusiasm."

"That was good thinking to try to move out of Finance," Tina said to Britt. "Finance is rather top heavy with seniors. You will benefit from the experience of being a PA and being involvement in management."

As Gary and Britt were walking to the digital advertising section, she said, "I hope you don't think this is rude but mom wonders if you will come to lunch on Sunday. She is so excited about me getting this opportunity. She owned her own advertising agency that she sold to provide some of the money to send me and later my sister to college. She works as dad's office manager. He owns a tour bus company."

"Well I had been thinking..."

"Please Gary, even if you stay for just an hour."

"Okay. Well let's meet the gang. They will be nervous and confused wondering what this is all about and why wasn't their manager placed in charge of running the new department."

Gary's new PA said, "She was chopped because of perceived shortcomings in performance and lack of vision perhaps?"

"You're on the button Britt. Well here we go."

Tension was high Gary knew none of the people apart from nodding when passing them and they had never met him. Well the agency employed 210 people.

Gary began, "My name is Gary Gunn and I'm the new boss. "Everyone, I urge you all not to contemplate resigning during the next two weeks. That will give me the chance to demonstrate where this company is going with digital advertising and that I'm out of nappies and know what I'm doing. I believe you will come to really believe my philosophy is to lead by example and I'll personally deal with shitty clients."

Most looked at him bug-eyed.

"All advertising agencies now say they are experts in taking clients into digital advertising but few are really any good. But then advertising is largely about promoting bullshit isn't it?"

There were a few sniggers.

"In my book experts become experts when people who pay for their services say they are the experts. It's that pure and simply. And if I tell any of you that you are expert in what you do, you'll know you are among our elite. There will be room for those of you who chug along, providing you chug along competently. If you fail to grow, however, under my um expert encouragement, you may have to think of other employment."

"Our mission is to impress our clients with our work and take their money off them. My target is for every dollar the company spends on this department, we bring in $10:00 minimum. Oh I forgot to mention you'll be given a new director if I fail to perform as the company expects. No way will I allow that to happen and so we are in this together. You guys protect my butt and I'll protect yours. I'll also make your work as challenging and as exciting as you wish and on Monday when we shift up a floor into our new department it will be unofficially called, The Happy Place."

"You know I had a ball at university because the girls were immoral...oh crap, what did I just say? I meant to say because from professors down we in computer graphics worked in a happy place that kept people happy. So that's my Number One target because that's the secret to our impending success to grow this department and to make lots of money for the company and to be rewarded with good bonus payouts."

"Well that's me done except to say I entered here with my PA who has been appointed from the finance department because she will also administer department accounts. Her name is Britt Elder. She's really sweet and is engaged to marry and in studying business admin also hooked into computer studies. So don't think she's here just as a pretty face. Britt is here to mother us and to keep this department running smoothly to allow me to concentrate on growing the business and providing tech support."

"Now you have the choice of asking questions or to come across the street to Jasper's Bar and spend some of my money."

Most people immediately logged off their computers but a thin guy stood up and asked, "Was it necessary for management to bring you in at Jean's expense."

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Management lacked confidence in her ability to run a full department and drive the business forward. I haven't met Jean or said a word against her."

There was silence.

Gary asked, "How did my answer rate out of ten?"

"Nine point seven-five," called someone and there was laughter and people resumed packing up for the day.

* * *

Gary arrived by cab in steady rain for Sunday lunch with the Elders.

He rang the front doorbell of the stylish home with its trimmed lawns and picket fence in a neighborhood of look-alike high-class homes sheltering the wealthy.

He heard someone running and the door flew open and Britt hooked an arm around his neck and kissed him and said breathlessly, "Thank you for coming. Mother is beside herself in excitement. She wants to meet a guy only twenty-seven who's director of a department at a major advertising agency because in her day the heads of departments, so she says, were mainly old men one step away from retirement."

"Were computer around at the time she's referring to?"

"Oh how discreet, you lovely man. I think not, well not personal computers."

"Mom, dad, this is my new boss Gary Gunn who is responsible for re-igniting my career."

"Hi Mrs Elder, Mr Elder."

"Oh hi Gary," said the good-looking woman who not bothered to dye out the gray beginning to show in her hair. She smiled at him and Gary noted how over-dressed she was for a family lunch.

"It is such a pleasure meeting you Gary. Please call me Davina. We are very proud of our daughters and thank you for giving Britt this huge chance."

"It's not a chance Davina, Britt is a natural."

"Howdy son, call me Ben and may I offer you a beer or something else?"

"Your choice of beer would be great thanks."

Britt interlocked her fingers and holding her upturned hands low said shyly, "Gary this is my fiancé Danny Becker who works in IT at Drapper, Baines Law.

The two guys shook hands and smiled as they examined each other.

"And I'm Britt's sister Evita."

Gary turned to look at the new arrival who must have come down the stairs.

"Hi Evita. I'm Gary."

She was a beauty, a blonde with pale lips, dressed in green and unsmiling. She was almost his height with an athletic figure and well-proportioned breasts.

"You may kiss me if you wish," she said and Gary almost tripped over his own feet as he stepped forward rapidly as if concerned she might change her mind.

Her lips were cool and the pale lipstick appeared to remain intact after his hot lips collided with hers.

"You look more impressive that I expected."

He said boldly, "And I expected the young sister to be trailing a doll."

She smiled and her face appeared to glow.

"May I get you a drink?"

"Champagne if dad has opened it."

"Stop teasing Evita," said her mom. "You know we don't stock it."

"Well a Martini please. Dad will have a jug made in the kitchen."

Gary looked at the door to the kitchen and Davina said, "Please go ahead Gary."

He checked and everyone else had drinks and his beer was on the coffee table. He headed off and Evita said she'd come with him.

Her empty glass was by the crystal jug of the cocktail. As he poured Evita said, "You are young and sexy. Can I trust you not to seduce my sister and risk spoiling her plan to marry?"

"You have picked the wrong person. If the behavior of your sister is in doubt you should work on her."

"God you are slippery. Will you attempt to get me drunk today?"

"What would be the purpose of that?"

"Ah yes, very slippery. We best rejoin the others. Do you like my breasts?"

"Why do you ask?"

"You keep glancing at them."

"Oh god do I? I can be such an asshole at times Evita. I apologize."

"Thank you but you may worship me whenever you wish, not that you have had reason to apologize."

Eh?

Gary handed Evita her drink and hurried back into the living room.

Davina button-holed Gary and he spent time attempting to explain how computers were totally integrated into ad agencies today and what was involved in computer graphics.

"So you are an artist?"

"Well I can draw but when working with clients I mainly use the resources of software, manipulating various elements to produce an integrated design. It's really easier to demonstrate that to try to explain."

"I guess so. Well can you do a quick sketch of me?"

"A sketch in say five minutes, yes."

He called, "Fetch a dark lead pencil and a pad of white paper if available please Evita."

"Ask Britt, she's your PA."

"Oh but I'm asking you. I can't imagine you would embarrass me by refusing to do that little thing for me."

"God you have a smooth tongue. Very well."

Gary sat Davina by the window and crooking his left hand into the center of his chest, held the pad in that hand and resting over the forearm went quickly to work while the others watched and continued talking and sipping their drinks.

"Five minutes since you started," Evita said.

"Finished," said Gary, handing Davina the pad and her eyes widened when she focused on an excellent sketch of her head and shoulders.

Evita said, "Me now please."

"I'll only sketch you nude."

"Very well, how much do I take off?"

"Everything."

"Evita," he mom called sternly and her daughter reversed her action of pulling down the zip at the back of her dress.

Gary said to Davina he was sorry, it was his fault and she smiled faintly and said it was okay and he'd found no encouragement was necessary to induce her youngest daughter to do anything challenging.

Apart from twice resting a shoeless foot on Gary's knee during lunch while seated facing him, Evita displayed little interest in him apart when in answering her mother he'd elaborated that Annie was actually his legal mother, that his birth mother and father had abandoned him when he was fifteen and their own lives were in a mess.