Getting There Ch. 04

Story Info
Gemma and Ryan get their wires crossed.
3k words
4.65
18.6k
10

Part 4 of the 7 part series

Updated 10/23/2022
Created 05/29/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The sound of lounge music filled the air, accompanied by the deep murmur of voices, and the occasional boom of laughter. Sam's promotion party was well under way, and the wine was flowing. Phoebe was running around doing her best to fulfill all her duties as hostess, meanwhile Gemma was basking in the attention of all Sam's single lawyer friends. And a few of the married ones. She looked stunning in a fuschia dress that framed her body perfectly it was fitted around her waist and then opened out into a full skirt. Her hair was straightened and she was wearing it over one shoulder. As she spoke, she was twirling her hair around a perfectly manicured fingertip.

At the other end of the room, Sam was telling some of his other colleagues and friends and their respective spouses about how he got his first job, a story that Phoebe had heard a million times before. She looked over at her husband, brimming with pride. He'd really earned this promotion. She went over to speak with Rachel and Chris, who was flying solo tonight.

Gemma distractedly looked around the room. She hated herself for doing so, but she wanted to see Ryan. They hadn't spoken all week and she missed him terribly. She hoped that they could have a serious conversation about what was happening between them so that they didn't put their friendship in jeopardy. She'd planned what she was going to say and she wanted some space to go over her rehearsed speech. She gestured towards the empty glasses held by the men around her, and excused herself under the pretense of getting more wine. Phoebe and Rachel swiftly followed Gemma into the kitchen, and the three ladies prepared some more canapes to replenish the platters that Phoebe had prepared earlier. As they rejoined the party, they could hear Ryan's voice echoing through the house.

"There's the man of the moment! Get over here, Sammy boy." Ryan called across the room. They shared a hug and then Ryan insisted on hearing how the good news had been delivered, what the new job entailed and all the other details. While Sam was midway through explaining, they were interrupted by the sound of someone clearing their throat.

A slender, willowy woman in a black dress stood there with her hands on her boyish hips.

"Aren't you going to introduce me?"

...

Chris, Sam, Phoebe and Rachel watched as Rose clung desperately to Ryan's side for half an hour. Her laugh was so obnoxious that even Ryan flinched whenever she cackled at her own jokes. Her mousy brown hair was cut into a long, limp bob and while she was usually an attractive lady, she didn't look it tonight. Ryan had had half a mind to ditch her when he first saw her that evening. She was wearing red lipstick that looked harsh and mean on her thin lips. Her eye make up was a touch too heavy, and her dress was ill-fitting and did nothing to emphasise her femininity. Ryan deeply regretted bringing her along.

While Rose was narrating another sinfully boring tale, Ryan craned his neck, searching for Gemma and her mystery date. He thought he caught a glimpse of her caramel coloured skin and dark hair, surrounded by men in suits. He looked down at himself in jeans and a shirt and cursed himself for his laid-back attitude. She was clearly looking for someone more polished than he was. He scrutinised her admirers, trying to decipher their body language, trying to determine who her date was. He was disgruntled to see all these men trying to stake their territory. He grabbed Rose by the elbow and led her towards Gemma.

...

"Ryan!" Gemma called out to him as she saw him making his way to her. She jumped out of her seat and gave him a hug. She'd planned on being cool; calm and collected, but seeing him made her realise that she'd really missed him. She looked him up and down and smiled in approval. He looked great. It was refreshing to see his casual style amidst all the men in their drab suits. The men all dispersed when Gemma left their little huddle. Suddenly, Ryan's face dropped as he realised she hadn't brought a date. He wanted the world to open up and swallow him whole. Or even better, for it to take Rose.

"Gem... hey." Ryan held her close to him. When she looked up into his eyes he felt his heart melt.

"Can we go somewhere more quiet? I want to talk to you" Gemma struggled to remember how to begin her speech. Just then, one of Sam's rather drunk co-workers bounded towards her.

Seeing his opportunity, Ryan took Rose aside and asked her to get him another drink. She looked at the half glass of red wine in his hand and refused. Gemma had almost successfully rid herself of the man pestering her, and Ryan saw no other option. He took a step backwards so that he was jostled by the person behind him, and he watched as the contents of his glass spilled onto Rose. He shrugged apologetically.

Gemma looked flustered. "Where was I?"

"You wanted to talk to me?" Ryan prompted, eager to know what she had to say. She seemed nervous, and for someone who naturally exuded confidence, this was rare.

"Yeah, why didn't you call me this week? You know, after... everything..." She slid her arm into Ryan's.

"I..." Ryan began.

He saw Rose stomping towards them, and he hoped that she would exercise some restraint. He needed to have this conversation with Gemma, more than anything. She tapped her foot expectantly, unhappy that her date was ignoring her to talk to another woman.

"Don't tell me I have to introduce myself yet again. Ryan, you really are useless."

"Sorry, I don't think we've met. I'm Gemma." she spoke cautiously, unsure of what was unfolding.

"I'm Rose"

"Rose?" Gemma asked, confused.

"Yes, Rose. Ryan's girlfriend." Rose giggled. Ryan's eyebrows shot up. He was gobsmacked. His girlfriend? Hardly. He was about to offer a clarification when he saw Gemma spin around on her heels and dash for the door. He made to follow her, but by the time he got to the front door she was nowhere in sight. He looked to his side and saw Rose standing there, with a victorious smirk on her face. He was seething.

...

The hot tears stung Gemma's eyes as she sat on the pavement a few roads away from Sam and Phoebe's house. She had left her bag in their guest bedroom and knew she'd have to go back eventually. She silently berated herself for being such an idiot. He wasn't interested in her. He had a fucking girlfriend! She tried to gather her composure, but she could still hear Rose's voice mocking her.

"Can I sit here?" Chris asked. She smiled up at him as he passed over his wine glass.

"What are you doing out here?"

"I overheard what happened, thought you might want some company."

Gemma put her head on his shoulder and let the tears roll down her face. Chris wanted nothing more than to bang Gemma and Ryan's heads together and put them on the right track, but he knew as well as anyone that they needed to realise for themselves what everyone else had always known. Gemma wondered if Chris knew why she was upset. And when she gave him a questioning look he just chuckled in response.

"Maybe I should get going. Do you think you could get my bag for me?" Gemma pleaded.

"You can't avoid him forever." Chris reasoned, instead offering his arm for her to lean on as they slowly walked back to the party.

Back inside, things were starting to wind down, and the crowd had thinned somewhat. Those who remained looked ready to call it a night. Gemma half-heartedly laughed at yet more lawyer jokes, and Ryan was relieved to see that she was back. She looked so vunerable, and suddenly he felt ashamed for playing games. He wondered whether her reaction to Rose had been good news for him, whether it meant he had a chance with her. He just needed to know.

"I'm going to help clean up here, so why don't you get a lift with one of your new friends." Ryan told Rose, thrusting her jacket into her arms as he ushered her out of the front door. "I'll call you sometime."

Soon it was just Sam, Phoebe, Ryan and Gemma. And while Gemma did her best to avoid being left alone with Ryan, she didn't want to cause a fuss. "Where did you disappear to earlier? Are you alright?" Ryan spoke gently.

"Oh, sorry. I was just..." Gemma bit her lip pensively. "...Taken aback that you didn't tell me that you and Rose were, you know, official." She hoped she had lied convincingly.

"We aren't actually together. I only brought her along because..."

Gemma listened intently as his voice trailed off, he'd bought her lie but now she could tell he was hiding something from her. "Because?"

"She basically invited herself."

"Oh."

"What was it you wanted to tell me before she interrupted us?" Ryan asked.

"It's irrelevant now, don't worry." Gemma walked away.

Sam and Phoebe were gathering the last of the glasses from around the room and Gemma announced that she was heading home. "Thanks for tonight, guys. And congratulations again, Sammy!" She grabbed her bag and began to leave when Ryan held the door open for her.

"Yeah, thanks guys! Top night."

Gemma sighed. She had wanted to be as far from Ryan as possible. Though she was relieved that there was nothing serious between him and Rose, she was still upset with him. Ryan unlocked his car and held the passenger door open for her. She stood with her arms crossed. "Aren't you going to sit?"

"I was going to take a taxi." Gemma felt like a petulant child. She didn't want to give in to his charm. She need him to acknowledge the shift in their relationship.

"Well then, I'll take a taxi with you." He smiled. His boyish grin flickered across his face and Gemma conceded victory. "How was your meeting this week?"

...

The twenty minute journey passed with relatively superficial conversation. As Ryan pulled up outside Gemma's flat he once more took in the vision next to him. His eyes lingered on her legs, disappearing beneath the bright dress. He turned to her and tilted her chin up with his fingers. She took a sharp breath as she felt her body respond to his touch. He leaned in, looking at her lips, seeing how kissable they were. She closed her eyes and willed herself not to breathe. She didn't want to scare him. Seconds passed and she opened her eyes to see Ryan watching her intently. He hadn't kissed her, but he hadn't moved away. He was in limbo. The voices in Gemma's head were telling her, no, screaming at her to do something. To say something.

A hushed whisper passed her lips. "Do you want to come upstairs?" Her eyes never left his and he wordlessly shut off the engine and opened his door. He passed the car keys to the night porter who offered to park Ryan's car in the visitor's bay and then followed Gemma into the small lift. He smiled as he watched her lips move as she counted "5...4...3...2...1..." until the doors opened. It had been her ritual since childhood.

Ryan lay on his back on the soft carpet in Gemma's bedroom. She kicked her shoes off and collapsed on her bed. She lay on her stomach, propping herself up on her elbows as she peered over the foot of the bed. The tension between them vanished and was replaced with friendly teasing.

...

"I should get going." Ryan said, pushing the hair away from Gemma's face. She pouted in response.

"What's the point? We're having breakfast together in a few hours anyway. You might as well just stay here and we'll drive over to your place to use the gym after we've eaten." She batted her eyelids and Ryan laughed.

"I won't argue with that. I'm fucking knackered."

As Gemma went to get ready for bed, Ryan mulled over his new role as her sleep-over partner. Gemma sat perched on the end of the bed, moisturising her legs. She was wearing little boy shorts and a tight vest top. And no bra. Ryan's eyes widened as he noticed the outline of her nipples poking through the white cotton. He felt his cock twitch and was thankful he was already under the covers. Gemma put the moisturiser away and made sure it was all rubbed in, sliding her elegant fingers up and down her supple skin. Ryan leaned over to rub in a little patch that she'd forgotten, on her inner thigh. She closed her eyes as his strong hands stroked her. Her nipples grew harder and Ryan groaned as he observed them protruding further. Gemma's eyes flickered open and she crawled under the covers. Ryan pulled her towards him and they lay together, until they both fell asleep.

...

Ryan woke with a start. The landline was ringing and he leaned across Gemma to reach the phone, which sat on her bedside table.

"Hello?"

"Ryan? Sorry, I meant to call Gemma. Didn't mean to wake you."

"No worries mate. Talk later."

Chris hung up. He looked at his phone and a wide grin swept over his face. "I DID CALL GEMMA!" he exclaimed to Joanna. She peered over her newspaper.

"Do you want a medal?"

"No, you don't understand. Ryan just picked up Gemma's phone!"

An uncharacteristic smile escaped Joanna's lips. "That is something."

Chris kissed his wife, for what must have been the first time in weeks. Today was going to be a good day for them, and he knew better than to waste it. He sent a group message to his friends telling them to exclude him from whatever plans they made for later. Joanna put down the newspaper.

...

Gemma nestled against Ryan's chest and kissed his neck sleepily. He sighed appreciatively and stroked the small of her back. "Good morning, darling."

Ryan kissed her forehead in response, and Gemma threw back the covers while she leapt off the bed, the sunlight that bathed her room adding to the wonderful mood she had woken up in. In her haste, she had pulled the blanket off Ryan, and was confronted by his morning erection. Her jaw dropped a little, and Ryan realised what she'd seen. "I'll take care of breakfast. And you, you can take care of that." Gemma teased.

Ryan reached for Gemma's pillow and closed his eyes as he stroked his cock. He inhaled deeply, luxuriating in her lingering perfume, before eventually moving to the shower to finish off.

...

Gemma watched Ryan bench press, while the TV blared in the background. She was doing some stretches at the end of her workout. "Babe, I'm gonna run back home now. I have an appointment to get to."

Ryan panted as he finished with the weights. "If you wait I can run back with you."

"Don't worry, I'm a big girl, I'll be okay alone. Thanks though."

He looked at her lithe figure in her tiny running shorts and sports bra. Her abs were incredibly toned, but her curves still managed to remain soft and lady like. He was hypnotised by the sway of her hips as she left.

Gemma enjoyed her run back. There was a slight breeze which made it the perfect temperature to work out in. When she got home she felt fantastic and virtuous. She sat on the kitchen counter with a bottle of water and caught her breath. She checked her phone and saw that no one had taken the initiative to make any plans for that night. Since Chris was busy and Sam and Phoebe would no doubt want to have their own private celebration, that would leave the three singletons. She texted Rachel to ask her what she was up to, and then showered and got ready for her appointment at her favourite waxing place on South Molton Street.

...

"You're sure about this?" Rachel squealed down the phone.

"Yes, I'm sure. Do you promise to make other plans for tonight?" Chris asked her.

"OH MY GOD!" He took Rachel's excitement as confirmation and hung up when he saw Joanna had come inside from the garden.

"Darling, I promised that I'd help my mother do her shopping this afternoon." Joanna lamented, genuinely enjoying the time she was spending with her husband.

"I can come with you, it'll be faster that way." Chris offered. Joanna kissed his cheek and told him not to bother, that she'd be back in about an hour. Once she'd left, Chris rang Ryan.

"So what's new?"

"Um.. nothing. Pub?" Ryan asked, as he buttoned up his shirt.

"Sorry, mate. Can't. So there reallllly isn't anything new?" Chris probed.

"Am I missing something?"

"Don't give me that. You picked up Gemma's phone!"

"Well, it was ringing..."

"That's not what I meant."

"What did you mean?"

Are you guys sleeping together?!" Chris was done with subtlety, and opted for the direct approach.

"Well, um. Yes."

"Yes? Just like that? Not like it's a huge deal or anything..." Chris was disappointed by how underwhelmed Ryan sounded.

"Well it's not. When I say we're sleeping together I mean we're actually sleeping together. As in, falling asleep. Together."

...

Rachel responded to Gemma's text claiming she was spending the weekend catching up on some work. "Looks like it's just you and me tonight, kiddo."

Ryan's phone buzzed as he sat down at his desk. He was feeling bold. "Your place or mine?"

"How about dinner out?"

"Dinner out sounds fine, I was talking about afterwards."

Gemma bit her lip. She had a good feeling about tonight. To play it coy or not? She pondered over how she should respond while she opened up her cupboard to choose what to wear. Ryan started working, frequently glancing at his phone to see how she'd respond. Twenty minutes passed.

"Yours."

...