Goodbye Charlene

Story Info
His life takes an unexpected turn
4.9k words
4.65
48k
30
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
griffin57
griffin57
568 Followers

The storm had been crossing over the desert and was almost on top of us. I could see lightning strikes moving our way. We had been waiting and hoping that the kids would arrive before it got too bad out. Sometimes the Rocky Mountains were difficult for travel during good weather. I saw a flash of red coming down the street.

"They're here, guys!" I opened the front door as the Pt Cruiser came to a stop in the driveway. My lover was out back in the garden, but I couldn't wait for him. I rushed out side and Abby smiled and hugged me.

"I missed you mom!"

I held her in my arms again. Each time felt like the first, all over again. Abby's fiancée', Michael came up behind her and I finally released my daughter. He was next to hug me. I gave him a peck on the cheek.

"I missed both of you guys. You two look great!"

"Where are my brothers, the brats?" she quizzed.

Tommy and Tyler are out back in the garden with your father." I took both in arm as we walked up to the house.

" Is Dr. Kildare, coming for dinner?" Abby inquired.

I laughed. "Your sister had an emergency C section at the hospital. She called and said that she was on her way." On the porch I turned toward the valley. I watched the storm as it moved towards us.

"We had better get inside before it gets here." Michael warned.

Abby smiled. "You don't know about my Mom, Dad and electrical storms do you? They love them!"

Twenty five years earlier.

'It's inoperatable, Charley!' This kept echoing inside my head, like a scene in a bad movie. Christ! I was only 54 years old. I realized I had fewer days ahead of me than behind, but cancer is not what I expected. I thought I had more time. I--- wished I had more time. Shit! I hadn't even retired yet.

I could see the lights of Salt Lake City ahead, in between the lightning strobes of the storm. Rain pelted the road making traction difficult. I don't know how often I had to ride the breaks. I slowed down as best I could, but the pitch of the road made it difficult. The way home from the doctor's office up in Heber Junction was all down hill, into the valley. I hadn't even touched the gas pedal since the parking lot of the 7 eleven.

What did it matter anyway? Doc Bartnick said I had about six months ahead of me. I could just miss one of these curves and sail off the road into the afterlife. At least Lady and my next door neighbor would benefit from my life insurance. I didn't really want what little money I had, to be eaten up by future treatments. I also really didn't want to leave my dog alone, but it looked like I didn't have a choice.

There was the glare of a set of car lights ahead, but they looked out of place. I slowed the my vehicle down enough to see that a guard rail had been smashed and taken out. A flash of lightning showed a car upside down in the gully, below the road. Somebody must not have made the turn. I skidded to a halt and slid my car into a space on the inside of the curve. Plow trucks used this spot to park in the winter sometimes. Pulling the flash light out of the glove box and grabbing my rain suit out of the trunk, I crossed the road and slid down the embankment toward the overturned car.

Another flash from mother nature revealed a power pole that the driver clipped when the car went over the edge. Damn, the pole looked like it was about to snap. I hoped those electrical lines stayed in place till I dug out whoever was in the car. The embankment wasn't so steep that I couldn't keep upright. I slid down next to the vehicle. The only passenger was a young woman, still buckled in. I pounded on the glass and her head turned toward me. At least she was conscious. She screamed when I moved around to the passenger side. The doors were locked and the windows were up.

"Stay calm!" I yelled. My foot bumped into an opportune rock, about the right size. I grabbed it and hollered for her to turn away. The window shattered and soon I was inside, pulling on her seatbelt.

"Please, help me." She cried out. The way she thrashed, I didn't think she was hurt bad, which was a miracle in it's own right.

"Don't worry Miss." I picked up on her to take tension off the shoulder strap. "What's your name?" I tried to distract her before she really panicked.

"Charlene ----W--ells." She choked, in between sobs. A pretty little thing, I thought.

"Press on your seatbelt buckle and let's get you free." She shrieked as she fell into my arms. "Sorry darlin. You ok?" She latched on to me after I shoved my raincoat on her. I backed out of the car, dragging her behind me.

"Can you walk?" She sobbed, hanging on to my arm. I guess not. I pulled her to her feet and bodily picked her up. A lightning flash, blinded me. I stumbled a bit, but still hung on. The storm was on top of us. If I could only get us up to the road and to my car, the rest would be easy.

Red flashing lights bathed the area from the top of the embankment. At least the cops showed up. Maybe I could get some help. Another bolt of lightning hit the transformer on the power pole. A line snapped and fell on to the wet grass not thirty feet away from us. Intense pain caused my body to spasm as an immensely bright light enveloped me.

*************

I heard a voice talking, but couldn't make out the words. My eyes slowly fluttered open as a young lady stood over me. She wasn't talking. She was singing! My mind was fuzzy and felt like one big hairball, the cat coughed up.

"I'm crazy; crazy for being so lonely. I'm cra--- Holy shit. You're awake!" Where was I; a hospital?

"She's awake! Somebody tell the doctor!" The woman focused on me as I stirred. My head was splitting in pain. I felt so strange. "You ok, honey?"

My mouth didn't seem to work. I tried to move my head and it only felt worse.

"You're at LDS hospital. You were in an accident sweetie." She pulled something from her pocket and a bright light blinded me. Another person entered the room. "Her pupils are equal and reactive Dr. Santiago."

Her? I lifted my hand up to wipe my face and froze! I was wearing a ring and my fingernails were ---colored pink!

"Take it easy Mrs. Wells. Let's check you out." A middle aged Hispanic woman sat on the bed next to me and flashed another light in my eyes. There was a sudden pressure on my arm. "BP is 150 over 90! Not bad for waking up in the hospital."

"Pulse is 80 and rising Dr." The nurse put her hand on the side of my face. "Take it easy honey. Calm down. You're safe."

I groaned trying to find my voice. When it finally worked, I realized that it wasn't mine! My other hand had an IV attached, but those fingers had pink nails as well! What the fuck was going on? I needed to look in a mirror.

"Mirror." I gasped.

"Good, you can talk. The Dr smiled. "No sign of concussion. But we'll confirm it with some X rays. You were lucky Charlene."

"Charlene? Charlene Wells?" That was the name of the woman I pulled out of the car.

"Yes, Charlene Wells!" the Nurse answered. "Do you know what day this is Charlene?"

'If it's not April 1st I'm in trouble'. I thought.

"It's May 23rd . Your accident was three days ago. You've been in a coma since then."

"I need to pee." I threw back the sheet and pulled the gown back. I froze. A tube trailed up to my dick --- at least where it use to be. "Oh Fuck!" I moaned. This went past bizarre. This was straight from the twilight zone!

"Settle down Mrs. Wells. I told you; you were safe." The nurse offered.

"Charley --Winters---." I squeaked.

"I'm---------- afraid he didn't make it Charlene."

"NO!---------." The room pitched around me.

*************

"She's awake again!" came a voice.

"Mommy?" A young girl, six or seven, was setting on the edge of the bed, next to me.

"Who are you?" I mumbled. A man stood over me on the other side.

"Charlene; quit playing around!" he quipped.

"I don't know you either." Christ! Was that my voice? I looked down at my hands. Yup! The same pink fingernail polish. This wasn't a dream.

It was the same Dr. as before. "We took X rays Mr. Wells. Nothing appears to be wrong, but she did take a good blow to the head. Amnesia, in this case, wouldn't be unlikely."

"Why don't you remember me Mommy?" The beautiful little girl took my hand, her eyes full of worry.

"She checks out just fine. Other than a few bruises and a classic shiner, she seems healthy enough. Her memory should return soon."

"Thanks Doctor." When she had left the man leaned into me and whispered. He didn't seem pleased. "I swear, if this a game Charlene, you're not going to be happy with the outcome. Don't think that this accident is going to keep me from filling those divorce papers"

Great; not only do I wake up to find myself a woman, now I got this shit to deal with.

"I swear to you; I don't know either one of you."

His eyes softened a bit. "Ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. You seem sincere."

The nurse returned. " She needs her rest now." She turned to me. "The doctor gave you the green light for solid food." She handed me a menu.

"Can she stay?" I asked. The girl still held my hand.

"If she's quiet." The nurse replied.

"Can I daddy?" She pleaded.

"Ok Cassandra. But don't be a nuisance." He warned. "I'll leave you two alone and go down to the cafeteria ."

"So you're Cassandra? That's a pretty name." Her eyes twinkled.

************

Cassandra and I finished sharing my dinner. She snuggled down next to me and was soon fast asleep. One of the CNAs came in and helped me move the girl over in the other, vacant bed. She looked so cute sleeping, I couldn't resist kissing her forehead. I walked into the bathroom and shut the door. I took a real good look at myself in the mirror.

The person staring back at me was beautiful, even with the black eye. She was about 5 ft 6 in and had short blonde hair. Her face was somewhere between hot and the girl next door. I pulled the gown up over my head and took a real good look at myself. I had a decent rack and some nice curves. Just the kind of body that would have made me drool back in my prime. I experimented by cupping the tits, then ran a finger over a nipple. I jumped! That felt a little too good! I lowered my hand to the crotch area and squeaked when I accidentally grazed the clit. I sat on the toilet and did my business. I guess that I was going to have to get use to doing it that way. This was so surreal and weird.

What could I tell those people out there? 'Hi, I may look like Charlene Wells. But I'm really a 54 year old construction worker dieing of cancer!' I had seen enough science fiction to know that they would lock me somewhere and I'd never see the light of day again. But shit; what could I do? I had no one left at home.

I heard a knock on the door. "How are you feeling Charlene?"

I hesitated. "Ok, I guess. Shower. Be out in a moment." I turned the water on.

A clean set of clothes was waiting for me when I started to towel off. I must be getting released. The under ware, socks and jeans were easy. What the fuck was I supposed to do with the bra? I tried three times to get it on and failed miserably. "A little help." I called to the voice outside the door. The woman who came was someone new. Mid twenties with light brown hair and pretty.

"What do you need Charlene?" Her demeanor seemed cool.

"I hate to be a nuisance I can't get this damn thing on." I held the garment up.

She eyed me in a weird way, as if puzzled. Her name tag showed her as V. Wells. She physically turned my body around and soon the bra and shirt were in place.

"Thank you, miss."

"You don't know who I am, do you? Tory Wells; your sister in law? Tony's sister."

"I'm sorry. Since the accident; I can't remember hardly anything or anybody." My heart sunk. 'Body!' I remember now! Someone said that I didn't make it. I bolted from the room.

"Charlene." She yelled.

Down the hallway I ran. The elevator was open and I punched the basement button. Moments later the door opened and I found myself in a short hallway to the Morgue. The door opened as I approached. Off to one side I saw two women peeling off surgical gowns. I heard them talking.

"Imagine taking a full lighting strike to the back." One said. "And he got hit with a high voltage line at the same time. Ac and Dc; I wonder what kind of havoc that caused? I'm surprised he wasn't burned to a crisp."

The other replied. "I wonder how the woman he was carrying even lived. And not a scratch or burn on her. Somebody was certainly watching out for her that day."

Through a window. I could see a older man on a steel autopsy table. His chest showed stitches in a 'Y' pattern. I had seen his face in the mirror as well. The man was me!

I must have passed out because I woke up back in my hospital room, trembling. I could feel tears running down my face. Tony Wells sat next to me. I reached for him and he held me as I cried. You can not imagine how awful it is to discover your own dead body. I must have sobbed for over an hour and Tony never left my side.

**************

Next thing I knew it was morning again. I went to move and realized that somebody was pressed up to me. When I rose Tony woke up as well. He had been with me all night.

"Morning. You Ok? You had me scared."

I felt a bit embarrassed, but that had to be the best I slept in years. " I think I'll make it Tony. Thank you for being there for me." I took a real look at him. He reminded me of a sandy, blonde Dean Cain, glasses and all.

"Look Charlene; I want to apologize for threatening you yesterday. It is obvious that this has shaken you up."

"That man saved my life and I don't think he had anybody. I feel so bad." What was I going to do? I couldn't tell Tony the truth.

"He was a hero, Charlene."

"Maybe your right." Who was I to argue?

"Tony," I hesitated. "I think I'd like it if you started calling me Charlie."

He gave me a look like he had never really seen me before. He kissed the top of my head. "I think I can do that Charlie." He rose to his feet . "You know; we were going to leave yesterday."

"I'm sorry. I really shouldn't have gone down there." I set my feet on the floor and stood up. My head swam and Tony was there in an instant.

"Easy now. Let's take it nice and slow." His arm was wrapped around me for support and it wasn't too bad at all.

************

Didn't know the neighborhood or the house when we pulled into the drive. We walked from the garage into the kitchen and once inside, I could tell that this woman didn't know how to clean. The refrigerator/ freezer was full of prepackaged meals and frozen crap. She probably didn't know how to cook either. My Mom made sure I learned the skills to look after myself. I had my work cut out for me.

A couple of hours later I was putting the kitchen back together. The walls, counters and table were scrubbed within an inch of their lives. The Chinese take out that Tony ordered arrived at the same time as Cassandra got home from school. She had stayed the night at Aunt Tory's.

"Mommy. You're home!" She came running up and gave me the nicest hug.

"Hey Sweet pea ; how was school?"

She helped me finish setting the table and we set down to eat. I closed my eyes to recite a common table prayer.

The other two were surprised, but bowed their heads as I prayed. "I thought you didn't believe in God Mommy."

"I do now Casey!"

Her eyes lit up. "My friends at school call me that, but you always called me Cassandra."

"You kind of look like a Casey to me, Honey." She smiled.

***************

Three weeks later I finished cleaning all of the 1st and most of the 2nd floor. Each morning, like clockwork, Tony left for work and Casey left for school. And every morning I cleaned during the day and cooked dinner when they came home. I needed something to keep my mind busy. After putting Casey to bed one night, Tony knocked on the door of my bedroom. Evidently he and Charlene hadn't slept together for months.

"Need anything?"

"Just a good night's rest." I looked into his eyes. "Thanks for taking care of me."

"It's you that have been taking care of us." He came in and sat on my bed. "What's going on Charlie? Why the big change?"

"Change?"

"Before your accident, you couldn't boil water. Now you cook all the time and not that frozen junk. Real food." He looked so nice when he smiled. "I think you're going to make me fat. And you're cleaning like crazy. The house had never looked so good. "

"I just felt like I needed something to do Tony." He motioned for me to slide over and laid down next to me. For some reason, I trusted him completely.

"It's more than that Charlie. You've been showing Casey how to cook, you help her with homework and taught her, how to clean her room. Yesterday I caught the two of you dancing in the kitchen. I've never heard her giggle so much. Her teacher called me up today at work and told me that 'what ever was going on at home; keep it up!' That's the same teacher that thought Casey was too introverted."

"Casey is so beautiful and fun to be with Tony, I can't help myself. I love her." He turned and looked at me, we were just inches apart.

"Don't take this wrong, but it's like you are a different person. To be honest, I started divorce proceedings against Charlene. I think she had been having an affair. But you and her are so different!"

"Probably just the amnesia." I lied.

"What ever it is, I-- that is Casey and I like it." Then he kissed me! A full on the mouth kiss! His face reddened and he said goodnight and left. I just laid there in shock. Not because he kissed me, but because I liked it!

The next day, after Tony and Casey had left, I started cleaning the last room in the house; mine. I dusted the furniture, changed the sheets on the bed and started cleaning out the closet. I found a box under a blanket and opened the lid. I just about dropped the box. Inside was a huge black rubber cock! I closed the lid and put it back, embarrassed as hell. I finished cleaning the room, but I couldn't keep my mind off that big dick. I took it out several times to look at it. I finally touched it, picking it up in my hand. It was huge! How the fuck did Charlene get this monster in her pussy? The head was enormous and it had to be 16 inches long! I couldn't even get my fingers to touch, wrapped around the damn thing. I was wondering what to do with it when I realized that I was absentmindedly stroking it! I dropped it back in the box and threw it in a garbage bag I had. Christ; my nipples were hard! What the fuck was wrong with me? The bedroom was finished so I went down stairs and poured myself some coffee. The bag was tossed in the trash.

My mind drifted back to Charlene. 'If I was here' I wondered. 'Where was she?'

Dinner was ready when Tony walked in the door. Casey was playing and I was putting everything on the table. I turned around quick and ran right into Tony. He put his arms around my waist and kissed me. I just stood there as he sat down at the table.

"Come on Casey. Dinnertime!." He called and looked over at me. "I missed you Charlie."

In shocked silence I sat down in my seat as Casey came rushing in. I had fixed oven, fried chicken with mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans. They devoured the food. I swear they had never eaten a real meal before.

"This is sooooo good Mommy!" Casey managed between bites.

After dinner she picked up our plates, without being asked and placed them in the washer. Tony looked at her with an expression of pride and placed his hand on mine. " I'm proud of both of my girls." He said loud enough for Casey to hear.

*****************

I was in a large, carpeted room with chairs. Up ahead, toward the front--- I saw a casket! I walked forward and standing there were Tony and Casey. They were both crying. I looked down and saw the reflection that I had been seeing in the mirror lately. Charlene Wells was laying there.

griffin57
griffin57
568 Followers
12