Growing Josh Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mitch snapped his head upward, shocked at the writhing clouds above him. He suddenly understood the animals' responses. Looking across the prairie horizon he could see the front edge of the rain driving toward them, and he knew they'd never make it back to the ranch before it hit. Remembering a wide wash in the creek close to them, he spun a now-cooperative Storm toward shelter.

They reached the side quickly, the first plump drops splattering in the fine dust around them. Mitch pressed the horse, forcing him down the steep embankment, knowing they didn't have time to do anything else. With a scream of displeasure the big stallion plunged downward, his hindquarters almost touching the bank. But in a split second, they were racing for a sandstone outcropping that Mitch thought would give them some shelter. He vaulted from the horse, grabbing the reins and pulling him under the little shelter provided, Max already winding his way between Mitch's feet, when the storm hit with a shaft of lighting.

The lightning hit the largest cottonwood in the area, almost directly across from them with an ear-shattering explosion. The next minutes were spent trying to calm a stallion white-eyed with terror. It wasn't until he had some semblance of control on the massive horse that he realized the skies had opened and a deluge had begun. Within seconds, Mitch and both animals were drenched, and Max was letting out a most unhappy whine. Mitch knew there was nothing else to do, and hunched his shoulders against the driving rain.

Even through his discomfort, Mitch realized he heard an unusual sound. The low rumble of a train seemed to be coming toward them. As the roar built in volume, the stories of tornado victims flashed through Mitch's mind, and he knew what was coming. Suddenly he was pinned against the dirt embankment as both animals crowded against him.

Mitch was engulfed in the roar of the winds and the crash of broken branches thrown into the wash. He flinched at the crash as one of the big limbs of the cottonwood snapped at its joint and joined the growing pile. As the seconds ticked past, the roar seemed to lessen, but Mitch realized he had another problem that he should have realized. The arroyo was there for a reason, it drained the surrounding land into the creek, and both were swelling quickly from the torrent of rain.

Realizing they needed to move, Mitch started struggling with the now terrified horse. Knowing they would never be able to make it back up the now muddy bank they had slid down only minutes ago. Heading down the creek away from the growing freshet, Mitch tried several paths out, all were too dangerous in the current situation. As he was getting frustrated, Mitch stumbled upon a place where a previous flood had washed out a gradual dish-shaped area making it easily climbed.

Mitch grabbed Storm's reins just under the jaw, running his hand over his silky nose to try and calm him. They started walking upward, the rain slowed to normal levels. The bank was not simply traversed, and toward the top, Storm stumbled and then tried to rear in fright. Finally past his tolerance level, he fought Mitch, lunging repeatedly as he tried to escape. Suddenly, he crow-hopped forward and then came down inches from Mitch. Settling into a formidable position, he refused to budge. Mitch pulled, cursed and pleaded, knowing that the headquarters were in the path of the twister.

"Damn it, horse! Come on!"

Mitch heard a yip from Max and the horse rushed forward, almost dragging him to the top. He flashed Max a brief smile and then jumped onto the wet saddle, plunged his heels into the horse's flanks and instantly barreled across the dripping landscape.

As the house and barns came into view, it was obvious they hadn't been spared. All Mitch could see was mangled metal and snapped timbers. He was comforted by the knowledge that everyone was in the safe room, at least that was his wish.

Mitch's hopes were shattered as he rounded the corner. His first sight was Darrin emerging from the mangled wreckage of what had been their barn, carrying Josh in his arms. Blood was covering one side of Darrin's face, as well as his hands. He slid Storm to a stop and vaulted from the saddle. Racing to the pair, he could see the despair on Darrin's face. As he got closer, the horror was more apparent. Josh's hair was drenched in blood and Mitch could detect no signs of life in his limp body.

He sprinted to them, holding out his hands as if to take on this burden somehow. Darrin glanced up with a despondent look. Mitch braced himself for the worst as Darrin started to speak.

"He's still alive."

<><><><>

Trent sat on his bed, watching the tiny television as he ate. It was an expired TV dinner from the convenience store where he worked, but it was hot and filling. The scream of acid rock flowed through one wall while the warring couple on the other side screamed obscenities at each other. The bass line to the whole horrid composition was the stream of traffic on the interstate highway that seemed to be feet from his door.

The drone of the national news suddenly became interesting when Trent heard the word 'Oklahoma'. His eyes glued to the set, he watched the segment recounting the barrage of storms they that had hit them the night before. Trent watched with growing tension as he recognized some scenes.

His tension muted into horror as a shot of the place he had called home for the past several years was shown as evidence of the devastation. Trent's world shifted with that realization, his rationale for leaving destroyed. He shoved his hand in his pocket, pulling out a handful of change for the pay-phone in the parking lot across the street. He sprinted out the door and was soon holding the receiver in one hand while he rifled through his wallet for the all-important card. Finally recognizing its well-worn edges from the multitude of nights he had held it and wished he could call.

Shoving change into the phone, he began hitting the buttons on it as if the tragedy were the machines fault. Trent paced on the tether it would allow while the phone a thousand miles away rang. Trent counted each ring, willing someone to answer. He had began to panic when there was a click and a deep voice said.

"Hello. White Cloud here."

"Sheriff... I need that ride."