Hunting the Hunter Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dar' Basha appeared in the doorway before her, another lamp in hand, looking more than a little surprised to find a Dunmer in his basement. She grinned. "Good evening sir, could I interest you in the latest edition of the Encyclopedia Imperial? For just a few, low, monthly installments, you too can have all the learning and knowledge of the Empire at your finger tips."

"Darling is that you? What on earth are you doing in the basement?"

Des came up behind Dar'basha and peeked over his shoulder. "She appears to be selling encyclopedias" He replied dryly. "Do you think you'd be interested my lady?"

She clicked her tongue. "Come on out of there."

Dar'Basha wrinkled his nose as she brushed past him with a wink. "You've been crawling around in the sewers." he noted with more than a little distaste.

She shrugged. "Nothing for it I'm afraid. There are people everywhere with an eye out for me so I had to come via the not so scenic route."

"Did you want to freshen up?" Des offered.

She sighed. "I really wish I could...and sleep for that matter, but I just came from the guild and they have some news which is going to put me back on the road as soon as I'm done here.

"Ah. I'm sorry to here that. Let's get to it then. Basha love, would you be a dear and fetch Ina something to drink, tea? Tea, and perhaps some lemon water as well. Oh, and bring yourself a cup as well darling, you should really join us."

"Nice place." She noted, looking around. "Very posh." It was. Everything looked silky and polished. She felt bad sitting on the seats in her well used leather. Des was draped in some sort of silk robe, something reminiscent of the robes one often saw in Morrowind, yet with a more modern twist. The bottom of the robe had skirt like volume and the top opened at the shoulders to expose an expanse of creamy white skin at her collar. It worked for her. Exotic while still being chic. At least by Imperial standards. Back in Morrowind it was simply a 'nice dress.'

"Well I am performing a part, one needs the right staging. This is a little bland for a Telvanni, but I am a Breton so I persevere. There are some who would find these apartments intolerably plebeian."

"As I'm sure you've told everyone who'll listen."

"Too right." She grinned. "Now, what news? How have you fared with the Gods...or have you been to the shrines yet?"

"I have and it went much as expected. Kynareth was silent, though possibly supportive...who can say with Aedra."

"They work in mysterious ways."

"So I've heard."

"Hircine's Acolyte gave me a blessing, but that was about it."

"What was the blessing."

"Hell if I know."

"For Mara's sake Ina, didn't you at least think to ask."

She shrugged. "Probably to increase my speed, strength, and 'sharpness of mind'. At least that's what he said at the end. But that just sounded like something he says to all the girls."

She rolled her eyes. "Not sharp enough apparently. It would be nice to know specifically what advantage you may have been given."

Inanna cringed inwardly. She wasn't wrong, and it made Ina wonder what was wrong with her. Outwardly she grinned and shrugged. "It was extra tingly in my head so I'm going to say my senses may have been improved. Usually I know instantly if I've been given some special ability...like remember that time we were supposed to take out that cave of sleepers for the Temple and the Priest there blessed us? I knew right off what he'd done. I can even tell with others sometimes as well. This time, it wasn't so specific. It was more one of those general improvement things I think. Which works for me."

"Yes well, next time think to ask. At any rate," She adjusted herself on the couch, pulling up her legs and accepting a cup of tea from the khajiit who had just joined them, "I have some news for you."

"Oh?"

"I've complied a list of strong possibilities but it's going to need more time before I can figure out where they will lead. One or two of them look like they're going to be hard nuts to crack so it might even take more time than I have, unless you have new news yourself. More positively I've figured out where Melisande has hidden herself these days. Apparently she's been living in Drakelowe, a little farm house south of your new home town and situated along where the Corbolo becomes the Reed river."

Inanna looked at her skeptically. "And who exactly is this Melisande?"

Desdemona arched a brow and set her cup down. Not a good sign. "Now, hear me out before you get into a snit," also not a good sign, "but I think you should give it some serious thought before you dismiss it."

"Des..."

"Melisande is a weald witch...better than that she is one of the few remaining witches of Glenmoril—"

"Oh hell no. Those chicks are into some crazy shit Des."

"Calm down...as you know the Glemoril are connected to Hircine—"

"I know no such thing."

"Stop interrupting. They are connected to Hircine. I did some further research at the mages guild here in the city and confirmed it. This probably means it's his blood in their veins, diluted as it is, which means they will probably have something useful to you...something a hunter could use. Don't you think?"

She really wanted to say no. "I don't know. Maybe....but..."

"Fine, just consider it. Frankly I think you need to get over yourself. Who cares what blood you do or don't have?"

"Should I make you a list?"

"Ok, let me re-phrase that. Who cares whose opinions you actually give a damn about."

She rolled her eyes and set down her own tea. "Well there's my father for one."

"He was just worried you would end up in the wastes fricasseeing merchants. He doesn't have anything against it personally."

"What do you know about it?"

"Ok, look at it this way: you've thumbed your nose at countless rules and traditions and pissed off pretty much everyone in your acquaintance at some point or another in your life...what makes this any different?"

"I've decided to be unreasonable about this one. A person can only be so reasonable for so long...one must draw the line somewhere."

Desdemona laughed at that. "At least you're honest." She picked up her cup again. "I'll take that as concession for now."

"In other news..." Inanna pulled the list she'd been given out of her curiass and passed it to Des who primly unfolded it. "That's the list tha—"

"Delatour. That's the one we want." She gave a small smile and folded the list, handing it back.

Inanna tilted her head curiously. "You're sure? You haven't been in town that long."

"Almost. Off that list anyhow."

"I...there was a suggestion that an Altmer might be behind it..."

"Oh! In that case I'm positive." She grinned. "I managed to pull in a few big fish for a party just last night, and Delatour was one of them. Of course he's a shrewd fellow and played fisherman most of the night himself. So I didn't get much out of him...but I did get something out of a few others. Apparently there is a mysterious Altmer keeping house in the capital. A rather unsociable fellow, but that is common enough with their race. Delatour, it is said, visits often, but is closed lipped about it." She nodded to herself.

"Now that I've introduced myself formally to him, I'll have him in for a social call. I'll work as quickly as I can, but these things are delicate. Certain niceties must be seen to."

Inanna nodded as well. "Thanks. See what you can dig up about the Altmer. I have a feeling about this."

"Just a feeling?"

"Yeah."

She chuckled. "Good or bad?"

"Both."

"Ah. Well. I shall get to it then. Are you sure I can't keep you here the night?"

"No...I... don't like being away. And I have a definite bad feeling about what's going on with this merc who the guild's been watching for me."

"That's unfortunate. There's a perfect little soiree I'm attending tonight which may prove to be useful. It would be lovely to have a second there for additional recon."

Inanna shook her head. "Damn woman, you've been here a few days and you've been to two parties?"

"And a dinner, two luncheons, a wine tasting, and tea. It was easy. I had a friend invite me to lunch and to go along with my pseudonym. I spent the evening being eccentric, worldly and charming. The next day my dance card was filled. Normally I'd be more aloof, but time is of the essence. The only consolation is that this is the empire, so the society here isn't all that complicated. Remember what torture it was to even get my big toe in the door with the Telvanni? This was child's play."

Well, as much as I'd love to see you in action again, I really do have to start back. Even with a horse it'll take the better part of a day."

Des grinned. "Well if that's the case, you can stay after all."

"How do you suppose that?" she asked sceptically.

"Well, I didn't mention it since I only managed to get it set up for one way travel, but I placed a teleport spell in the ruins...in the 'basement' as they call it there. That way if you or another needed to sneak back in, then they could. It takes a very long time to set up though, even in one direction. So I figured one way is better than nothing."

"This way you can come with me and leave directly afterward. You'll still be home faster my way than if you rode."

"Or I could just leave right now."

"Or you could do that."

Inanna considered it. It would be nice not to smell like sewer, and she was interested in watching Des work... "Alright, but we can't stay too late."

"Oh there's no worries there. I never stay too long at any one party. Women like me always have something more interesting to do, you know." She winked. "Come lets get you set up."

"Ah, there's one problem." Desdemona paused in the middle of rising from her couch.

"What's that?"

"I can't be recognized, remember?"

She laughed. "Oh darling there is no worry there either. I'll just change your hair color."

"I'm not sure that will be good enough."

"Oh believe me dear it will, you Dunmer all look alike to them."

"Well that's kind of racist."

"Yes it is...they do tend to be that. But be honest, the Dunmer say the same about humans."

"I don't."

"No love, and I don't say it about Dunmer...but we're exceptions aren't we. Now come along. We have to get you presentable and we don't have much time."

%%

An hour and a half later Inanna was scrubbed, perfumed, and wrapped in something silky and staring into a mirror. Two faces looked back at her. A grinning Desdemona, and a perplexed looking Dunmer girl who only looked vaguely familiar. She tilted her head to the side to examine the way her now blue-black hair was twisted up at the back the pinned in place with two long slender pins which in her mind resembled paintbrush handles, or knitting needles. They were clearly decorative though, since the tips sported something shiny and green at the end. She squinted at it. "What is that, green glass?"

"Yes."

The matched the little beads which dangled from a chain Des had attached at the top of her ear, and the dash of color across her eyelids. "Nice." She turned her head to the other side where the hair was allowed to fall in an unusually straight sheet, partially obscuring the delicate white lines and spots over her right eye. She ran her finger over one of the pale lines of her illusory tattoo. "These are pretty, but don't you think it's a little...ethnic, for their tastes?"

"That's the point. You're an ex-Ashlander House slut. Deliciously exotic. And there's enough truth in there that you can sell it. You are Ashlander after all. And a slut." She laughed lightly and slapped her shoulder playfully.

"Wait, I'm what? A House slut?"

"That's what we call the n'wah and velothi who fuck their way into House society."

"So, you?"

"Not at all dear. I'm no one trick pony."

"What does that mean?"

"It means I make sure it's very clear that I have a great deal more to offer before I start in with the sexual favors. Besides it's a good way to get yourself killed. All you have to do is sleep with the wrong person's mate, lover, or child, and that's that."

"So I get to be one of these geniuses?"

"It's perfect cover. That way if you say anything gouache, no one will be surprised."

"Then why would a classy girl like you be bringing me?"

Des chuckled and swayed around her, draping an arm over her shoulder and sliding a finger down one of her ears, causing her to shudder involuntarily. "Why is anyone interested in pretty little house sluts?" She murmured thickly, giving her reflection a wicked smile.

Ina smirked. "It's like that is it."

Des withdrew with a wink. "Mm. Either way, it'll be fun for them to try and figure it out, won't it? Are they? Aren't they? All those rich, bored, and curious little girls will that much more curious...and who knows what they'll let slip in their eager curiosity."

Inanna rose and eyed the dress she was wearing. It was one of Des' which her talented Khajiit slave had altered while Ina had been bathing. "Isn't this a little covered up for a 'house slut' then?" It was more traditional than what Des was wearing. That is to say, less skin, and where Desdemona's dress was a subtle arrangement of black, blue, and purple layers with silver detailing, her own robes were an intense green and gold pattern, and were more closely fitted around the hips with a broad, flat belt cinching in her waist. When she moved she reminded herself of the sea snakes one saw twisting in the waters from a night ship out of Khuul.

It was kind of hard to move in...restrictive. And it was rubbing her upper thigh in a weird way...

"You're a Telvanni darling, not some cheap Dres courtier."

"Ah. I stand corrected. Well then my gracious lady, shall we?"

Normally Inanna wasn't down for this sort of thing, and in general she tried to keep her mouth shut, hoping it would come off as aloof and mysterious rather than nervous and uncomfortable. Des made it easy. As exotic as a Dunmer lady in traditional clothing was to these, it had nothing on Des who was simply magnetic. They showed up veiled, which seemed to start them off on the right foot.

They were announced and Des was magnanimous as she removed her veil, smiling brilliantly for the watching crowd. Yet, still regal, imperial even. She stepped into the small ballroom and seemed to draw all eyes. It was hard to put her finger on how she was doing it as Ina couldn't taste any sickly sweet spells in the air. Something in her gestures or movements perhaps. But then the gestures themselves seemed familiar.

Desdemona introduces her affectionately as "little Llathyanea." Inanna cursed her for it each time she was forced to bite the inside of her cheek to keep from laughing at the way their tongues kept tripping over the breathy syllables. 'You may call me Latha,' became her mantra for the first hour of the evening. But she supposed it did lend a certain authenticity to the illusion.

She eventually found herself nodding and smiling, and saying vague things to a group of young, fashionable ladies who were intensely curious about court life in Morrowind. She wasn't having too much luck with fishing for info in this crowd...she hadn't the foggiest idea how to handle them. Threats, boasts, and crude jokes worked for her usual 'types' but she was in way over her head here. She felt like she was on the defensive and was just trying not to screw up. Maybe this wasn't such a hot idea after all.

In the corner of her eye she noticed Desdemona with two gentlemen and it finally hit her. Azura. Desdemona was channeling Azura, the epitome of the gracious queen-bitch if ever there was one. She'd appeared to them as an apparition once or twice...or rather she'd appeared to Emily, but they'd been there to witness the miracle. Damn...she was good. She must have really been paying attention. She watched fascinated as she gestured to the group of musicians playing in the far corner: the fingers, the twist in her wrist...it was perfect, almost ethereal. The men were enthralled. Hell, she was enthralled.

"Latha?"

"Hm?"

"I...ah I was just wondering how long you were going to be in the city." Ina met the young lady's eye and was inspired. She couldn't do Azura and play elegant queen...but there was one or two Daedra she was intimately familiar with, and who were far more her speed.

When in doubt ask, 'what would Boethia do?' He'd eat these little girls for dinner and use their bones for darts, that's what. Boethia's code went something like this, "Can I kill it? If not can I screw it? If not, how do I manipulate it into a false sense of security until I can do either?" It wasn't a deep philosophy, but it had its moments.

She let a slow smile spread across her lips and shrugged negligently. Her eyes held the girls, just like a snake's would, and she let them narrow suggestively. The girl blushed and Ina gave her a hint of tooth. "Just for tonight, my sweet." She spotted a couch nearby in the corner of her eye decided to head for it. She settled comfortably into it with one arm draped over the back.

The group of girls were eying her uncertainly. She allowed her smile to become a tiny bit more predatory as she eyed them back in turn, one at a time. That was how Feric had done his 'I'm alpha here' routine, wasn't it? If it worked for him, why not for her? She decided the little pointy nosed blonde looked like she knew more than she should about the way the world worked, she let her eyes linger there and patted the seat next to her. To her amazement it actually worked. She looked positively delighted and more than a little smug as she cast a parting glance to the group. They shifted closer as well. Not letting the preferential treatment stop them.

As with any battle she let the opponent make the first move, at least now that she'd issued the challenge. Inanna stared her down with her little smile until the girl caved and shifted awkwardly. "Are you enjoying the party?"

Poor thing, what a terrible opening volley. "Not really." She answered honestly. "Are you?"

"Ah...I've been to better." She straightened and looked knowingly at Ina who smiled knowingly back. Despite the fact that what they knew wasn't immediately apparent.

"Even in this town?"

She seemed to find that slightly offensive. "This is the heart of the empire, everyone who's everyone comes through here at some point...though some are more interesting than others."

"Why don't you tell me about some of the interesting ones? Maybe it'll inspire us to find a way to liven this" she waved to the room, "up." An obvious move: the trap disguised as an easy out. But this was easy prey, and once the chosen girl seemed to lag, the others were quick to pick up her slack. Easy wasn't even the word for it. All she had to do was lounge there looking like a hungry, and somewhat bored, serpent while the group of them vied to tell her their most interesting stories.

She let them go on for a bit before leading them to more recent news with an "ah, but that was so long ago..." And off they went again. It still wasn't revealing anything useful. It was like setting a web to catch a dragon fly and having the whole thing cluttered up with gnats.

But, then, she was Telvanni, well, she was pretending to be Telvanni. So she also found it boring...because it was boring. Sometimes honesty is the best policy.

"You know," She interrupted, looking as bored as she felt, "At home affairs, backhanded business dealing, and assassination attempts are so common that they're hardly worth the air needed to mention them. You might as well be talking about the weather...which is also, by the way, more interesting than yours." She turned a feral grin on them. She then sighed and cast her gaze over the room. "I mean really, our idea of a parlor chat is taking guesses at which of his cloned daughters Divayth Fyr is fucking these days.

1...345678