Hunting the Hunter Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yeah."

He shrugged uncomfortably, "As I said, it was just...instinctive. I can't give you a why, other than to say that I must have, on some unconscious level, wanted you badly enough to claim you."

She rolled her eyes. "No, you moron. Who gives a shit about that? So you bit me? You got excited, got carried away and bit me. Instinct, heat of the moment...shit happens. It's not like you severed a fetching artery."

He was frowning again now too. "But I bonded with you...without your permission. The effects...we don't even know what those could be..."

"You seriously think that's what I'm more likely to be pissed about?" She get her jaw and glared, hoping the light would go on in that thick head of his. Nothing. "Why, Feric? Why didn't you fetching tell me!" Her voice raised naturally, and something small startled in the brush near them at the sound. She ignored it in favor of continuing to glare him down. "Did it not occur to you that this would be information I might need? That you should probably let me know that you may have altered my life in an incredibly vital way. If I'm your mate...shouldn't I know that?!"

Feric gaped. It wasn't quite the reaction he'd expected. Anger, certainly...but over the bit about mating with her without her knowledge or permission...which didn't seem to upset her all that much.

"So..." he began hesitantly, "you're not upset that I claimed you?" She rolled her eyes, and he felt his brow arch in disbelief.

"That's the one part of this I get...that I'm sympathetic with. For Azura's sake, you clod...think about it! I'm a lot of things, and I'm sure as hell not perfect, but I'm not a hypocrite. I'm not going to tell you to trust your instincts all the bloody time then get pissed at you for it when you do. Granted it's messed up...and frankly...I don't really know how I feel about it yet...but tell me if I'm wrong. Is it wrong to be upset that you kept this from me? We've been working together...we've been partners on all this and you fetching kept this from me!?" She threw her hands up in frustration and started pacing back and forth. "I mean, gods! Is there anything else you'd like to let me in on? Dammit, I need to be able to trust you...I did trust you...I'm of a mind to deck you....seriously."

Her expression was a turmoil of confusion and frustration, and her eyes burned with emotion. Behind the anger there was a sincerity and vulnerability which left him a little speechless.

For some reason, it also left him feeling strangely calm. And then something shifted and clicked into place. She wasn't angry about what he'd done, just that he'd kept if from her. He might have smiled if she wasn't still glaring a hole through his head.

He stepped forward and grasped her by the shoulders. "It was never my intention to deceive you. I didn't tell you at first because I wasn't sure it even affected you...and I wanted to either find some way to undo the binding or fix it before you had to deal with it at all. I didn't want to trouble you with it if it was unnecessary. Hell, I half expected never to see you again. But then I did, and eventually it became apparent to me that you might be affected after all." He dropped his hands from her shoulders and squared them.

"And?"

"And when it did, I started to rethink it all. I made up my mind to fulfill the claim. I had hoped to convince you to stay with me of your own accord. But the fact is I've claimed you...and that's all there is to it. It should never have happened the way it did, and I handled it poorly, and for that I apologize and hope to eventually earn your forgiveness." He braced himself. "Honestly...I am sorry for not telling you, it was cowardly of me, but I can't say I regret having done the deed to begin with. Now that it's done, I can't bring myself to be sorry."

He waited for a response and she just stared. After a while his courage left him and he felt himself deflate again. "Inanna?"

She seemed to shrink as well, suddenly looking very tired. She brought her hands to her face and rubbed with a frustrated sigh. She straightened, and he watched cautiously as she gnawed on her bottom lip and glanced upward as if looking for divine inspiration. Without warning she turned and began to walk away.

"Inanna?" He called again. She didn't answer, but waved him off. His stomach lurched and he started after her.

She did turn then. "No..." she called over her shoulder, pointing an accusatory finger at him. "You stay there."

"We should talk about this..."

"Oh, you think so? Now you do. How convenient."

He bristled. "It's not like that Ina..."

She huffed out a great breath and turned back to face him. "I know that, Feric. I know it isn't. But I'm... pissed off. I don't want to talk about it right now." Her hands fisted and she turned away, muttering from over her shoulder again. "Because..." her voice hitched slightly, and she straightened, turning her face to glare once more. " 'Cause...I just might break your face...and as it happens I like it the way it is...so back off."

She didn't wait for a response but turned on her heel and marched off into the trees. He watched her go and didn't follow. After a long moment of staring into the trees, he sighed.

"That went a bit better than expected." He whispered softly.

**

"Go away." Inanna groused from behind her hands.

"Don't worry dear, I'm not going to make you talk about your 'feelings'. I just want to know if we're still on. Shall I make my way to the capital tonight as planned?"

She removed her hands and let her arms flop to her sides. She turned to look at Desdemona who loomed over her. "Yes, please, go away."

"Well, that's not very nice. Don't be petulant Ina...it'll give you wrinkles."

She huffed and sat up, resting her arms on her bent knees. "It's nothing to do with my 'feelings'. The faster you get there and work your mojo, the faster we can be done with this."

Des dropped elegantly to her knees beside her and folded her hands in her knees. "Don't let your impatience get the better of you. Sometimes patience is the tool which best serves us."

Inanna glared. Des smirked. "Yes, well. Don't make me cite past examples."

"I don't want to talk about it."

"talk about what dear?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Really, Ina..."

"I don't want—"

"Oh, come on! What's going on, what did he say?"

"I don't want to talk—"

"Stop it you cur, just give me a little something to tide me over...it doesn't have to be much...just a tiny taste..."

She sighed. There was no point in fighting her. She was relentless. "Apparently he bonded with me and inadvertently married me. Or something." She admitted grudgingly.

There was a long pause which made Inanna glance up to see her friend's expression. It was unnervingly stoney.

"Inadvertently?"

"Don't be that way Des. It's...complicated. He said it was an accident...sort of...and I believe him." She sighed. "We'll figure it out...I just want to get this crap with the hunters dealt with first."

"Tell me, how does one 'accidentally' marry someone?"

"I said I didn't want to talk about it. And stop looking at me like that. I know damn well what you're thinking and you're wrong. Des..." She warned. She could see the thoughts spinning in her head, and knew exactly where they were going. It all sounded a little too familiar to her own ears as well. "It isn't like that...not anywhere near. It's not the same, he's not the same...and I'm not Emily."

"You're the one who said it first. Interesting that you should bring up that particular comparison."

"Fuck you Des." She said the words, but there wasn't that much feeling behind them. In a way she was right...but this was different...completely different. "He's...he's just not like that. You can see it can't you? And you know I'm not like her. I'm not that naive."

Des sighed and shifted so that she was sitting beside her. "No...but he's very handsome, and very charming...and you do still have a heart..."

"Oh please." She rolled her eyes.

"I'm not saying you're sentimental...far from it. That's what worries me in fact. It's all fun and games until it's not...right?"

"Des...seriously..."

"Yes, I know. You don't want to talk about it. We're years older...but no wiser it seems." She smirked when Ina glared again. "Fear not, I include myself in that. Well," she clapped her hands together and rose to her feet, "I guess I'll just pack up my toys and see myself out then. I showed Aina everything, as you requested— sweet girl that one—and have set everything else up as I said I would. It isn't optimal, but we're short of time and this place isn't terribly convenient in terms of defensibility."

"That's fine. I figure we're looking for a way to buy time so we can get out if need be."

"Hopefully it won't be necessary."

"Cheers to that."

"So shall I expect a visit in the near future?"

"Yeah, who should I look for?"

"I'll be an out of town Telvanni, but I'm not sure where I'll be staying. It's very likely that I'll be under the name Elaine De Beaumont."

"I remember that name. An oldy but a goody."

"Indeed. It's been a while since I last used it, but it was, as you recall while dealing with the Telvanni, so it should provide adequate cover if anyone starts asking difficult questions. My friends and associates will recognize the nature of the cover and will respond appropriately I'm sure. 'oh yes, Muthsera De Beaumont, I met her once at a party. Charming, but not worth the effort of looking into. Was in Vivec last I heard...or was it Balmora?'" She paused and looked at her nails. Inanna eyed her warily.

"Drop it Des."

Des sighed and let her hand fall into her lap. "I'm sorry, I can't. Granted he seems nice enough, and I admit I don't know him as well as you...but doesn't this seem a little odd? A little convenient?"

"Ok, what? What the hell is convenient about it?"

"Well, all of a sudden he's got you running around hell's half acre on a search and destroy mission looking for his enemies. And now you're bound to help them whether you like it or not. I mean what does this 'bonded' even mean? Could he have control over you?"

"Oh my god Des, really? Think about it. This hasn't changed my mind at all. And I'm not in his pocket. I'm helping because I want to. And how the hell is this convenient for him? You saw the look on Mirisa's face. I bet even as we speak she's tearing him a new one. Not that he doesn't deserve it, the fetcher."

"So what is it? Are you going to defend him? Or is he a fetcher?"

She made a face at her. "Both. Leave me alone."

"As always you are the living contradiction."

"I'm complicated."

"What you are is inconsistent and you take unnecessary risks."

"Shut it mom."

"Fine. I'll go. But do talk to me when you figure it out."

"Fine."

"Fine."

"Oh, by the way, you want me to bring anything when I drop into the city?"

"No, I should be set up. Though, if you're in Skingrad for some reason and you come across those little chocolates they make with the wine in them..."

"I'll see what I can do. Watch your ass in the city."

"Toujours. Salut ma belle."

%%%

Feric was torn. He knew what he was doing was cowardly...and that it was that same cowardice that had kept him from telling her in the first place. It was the very reason Inanna wasn't speaking to him, but here he was anyway. Running...hiding...a coward.

Moving though the brush he tipped his head and scented the air. He was too far from Cyrus to make contact but close enough to know where he was. It had been his idea to go on a tracking mission with Cyrus...the one person he knew was unlikely to spend the trip chewing his ear off .

Lucky for him Cyrus was also their best tracker, so it wasn't even suspicious. Of course that didn't stop Mirisa and Bella from giving all kinds of knowing and accusatory glares. Though, he'd rather have that then what Ina was giving him: nothing. She was glacial. Not that he blamed her, but every time he entered a room and she blithely went on doing what ever she was doing like he was perfectly invisible was another knife in his gut. So he left. He had to. One more day of that and he wasn't sure what he'd do.

The only person who wasn't punishing him was Aina...much to his surprise. He'd gone to her almost immediately after Inanna had left him standing with his foot in his mouth and his stomach in his proverbial boots. He'd explained as much as he could to her, and as honestly as he could, though it was a rather awkward subject to broach with his own daughter...all things considered. She'd been quiet, then asked how Inanna had taken it. Then she'd looked him in the eye and asked if he loved her. Just like Desdemona had.

What could he say? He wasn't going to 'equivocate' with his own daughter like he had with Desdemona, so he answered honestly. She just nodded then patted his knee consolingly and told him not to worry, that it would be ok.

He huffed and glared into the trees ahead of him. When did that happen? Wasn't he supposed to be the one telling her that? As much as he hated to admit it...Inanna might have been right about her.

He lifted his head, hoping to catch something interesting which might help distract him. Nothing....but Cyrus was closer....and closing in. He frowned. It wasn't long before their paths converged.

He'd found a number of scents which seemed like good leads...and they were heading in the direction of one of the abandoned forts which lay hidden in the foot hills. They pursued it and after a few hours surveillance tested the theory by setting a trap. If they were hunters rather than just bandits, then they'd recognize the trail they'd left them for what it was.

Unfortunately the few who stumbled upon the hint seemed not to pick up on it. Feric was about to call it a bust when two new figures emerged from the fort. He recognized one of them immediately. It was the mercenary who'd argued with Inanna and had been arrested by Max while they escaped the waterfront district.

Satisfied, he and Cyrus turned back, though they were careful to obscure their true path as they went. They'd found them, yes, but the last thing they needed was to inadvertently lead them back to the den.

They were a little under a day's travel away. It was uncomfortably close in his opinion. However, if they took this group out, that might buy them a few weeks reprise, a few weeks which Ina and her associates could use to track down the heart of the enterprise...and hopefully put an arrow through it. He had to admit, he'd like to have the opportunity to tear out their throats himself, but in the end he just wanted to see it over. Ultimately it didn't matter to him how that was accomplished.

**

Inanna didn't leave until Feric did, and until she was satisfied that she'd tortured him past endurance. He'd actually lasted a good deal longer than she'd thought he would. Which put her a day or so behind schedule. That just meant she'd have to make up the time some other way...sadly that seemed to mean a horse.

She winced and adjusted for the umpteenth time. The first couple hours hadn't been so bad...but by the time the city bridge was finally coming into view she was beyond ready to turn this damn thing in. It didn't help that it tried to bolt every time it thought it saw something it didn't like. Siltstriders, now there's an elegant way to travel. Safe, comfortable, and fast. No jittery rental horses, or saddle sores. If only.

She gladly left the horse at the stables and set out for the rest of the journey on foot. She wanted to hit the shrines before she dropped in on Des.

She didn't expect much help...no more than the platitude laden advice she got from her own ancestors that is. With that in mind, she decided to head to Kyn first, thinking that, despite her own tendencies to favor Daedra, she might be inclined to help considering one of her peoples...or animals...were on the line. It took most of the day to get there, so she ended up heading to Skingrad and spending the night first...though not before tracking down those chocolates Des wanted. They were actually pretty damn good.

The next morning, through a combination of bad directions from the local priests and aimless wandering, she managed to find it...though it was rather late in the morning...actually it was pretty much noon, when she did finally spot it.

It wasn't really what she expected. Normally the nine had proper churches and cathedrals in which the shrine was kept...this was actually more like a Daedric shrine, just sitting out in the open under a canopy of trees. Nature goddess...made sense if you thought about it.

There was an older woman kneeling in the small clearing in front of the statue, her head bowed in prayer. She was wearing what looked like some kind of rough, scratchy robe, like a penitential pilgrim's. Inanna looked around for someone more priest like, but it looked like it was just them chickens.

She shrugged, dropped her pack, arrows, and bow in a pile, and went over to kneel beside the woman, taking up the same position. The woman wasn't speaking, so it might be that these imperial gods didn't use words in the traditional sense.

She wasn't sure how long she knelt there waiting...but it felt like an eternity. When her knees started to ache and complain she leaned over slightly toward the woman...who still hadn't acknowledged her.

"Sorry to interrupt...but you wouldn't happen to know how one summons the attention of this god, would you?"

Slowly the woman turn to regard her. Her face looked like it should be friendly...old, soft, big brown eyes...and yet it so wasn't. Inanna raised a brow.

"This is not a Daedric shrine Dunmer, you do not summon Kynareth. If she want's you, she will summon you."

Inanna grinned. "That's what they all say, but get them a big enough sacrifice and they're all ears."

The woman's eyes darkened. "Again, this is not a—"

Inanna waved dismissively, cutting her off. "I know, I know. I just need her help and I've never dealt with one of the Nine. I was just teasing, I don't mean to be offensive."

The woman still looked sour. "If you wish to pray for guidance, then pray."

"I would...but like I said I don't really know anything about the nine so I don't know how to go about praying. You wouldn't happen to have crib notes or anything? Is there an incantation? Ruins or something?"

She turned away and bowed her head again. "Just say what's in your heart."

Inanna cocked a brow at her. "What does that even mean?"

"If you don't know, then I don't know how better to explain it."

"Ok...I am really sorry for disturbing you, but isn't there supposed to be some kind of priest or something? You know, those righteous fetchers with the shiny robes. The Chapels are crawling with them..."

"I am the priest." She grumbled, still bowing her head toward the statue.

Super. Inanna sighed, cast a sidelong look at the priestess and then bowed her head and closed her eyes, hoping that mimicking the woman would help.

She sighed deeply, shrugged, and started talking.

"Umm, dear Kynareth." It wasn't a great start, but what the hell. "I don't know if you're aware but there's sort of a genocide on right now that you might be interested in. I'm here as, um, a representative, I guess, of a people who call themselves your children. Were-lions? Ring any bells? If so I'd like awfully if you'd give me a hand finding the people responsible for their on-going massacre so I can stop them in as unambiguous a method as possible."

"Now, I don't know you and you don't know me, but these people call themselves the children of Kyn, so you must have some kind of investment in them, even if only as your followers. Or the fact that they're, you know, part time lions. I hear you're into the whole wild animal nature thing."

123456...8