Hutch's Property Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
bucksilver
bucksilver
426 Followers

"Ah Debbie? Can you go online and bring up the weather in Phoenix?"

"Sure Lorna." In a few clicks Debbie had a listing of the average temperatures for the whole year, by the month. Debbie chuckled, "Look at the merry month of May. Average high temp of 93. That means it'll get up there in the triple digits."

A laughing Lorna said, "Yeah, I'll bet it does. Look at June with an average high of 103. That means that there are quite a few days in the month that are in the triple digits. But, you know what they say, it's a dry heat."

"Lorna? I've been out in the Southwest desert in the summer and I've lived around here all my life. So, I know it gets hot and humid here. But, let me tell you something about that... You do four or five days of 105 in the day and 75 or 80 at night.... Well, all you have is your hotel and its air conditioning and you look outside to see nothing but buildings or desolation.... I'd choose here, too. And, I'll tell ya something else, hot is hot, humid, dry, it's still hot!"

Lorna laughed, "Yeah, this Georgia peach likes it here too. Norman told me that Ken was getting railroaded out there. That he has to be there next Monday..." Both women laughed and then Lorna said, "Well, I have to get going, Deb. But, I'll keep in touch."

Hutch entered his office at his usual time that same morning. He was feeling on top of the world, "Good morning Janet. How are you this lovely morning?"

"Good morning, sir. I'm doing very well and judging by that smile, you are too."

"Yes, Janet, I'm feeling very good. So is Lorna. Over the weekend, she and I became reacquainted in several ways."

Janet gave him a big smile and said, "Sir? I haven't seen that smile on you in quite a while. It is certainly a pleasure to see it again."

"Thank you, Janet. I am certainly glad that it is over. All of you did a fantastic job of achieving desired results in record time. Ah Janet? I want to do something special for everyone involved in the project. Umm, I don't think that just passing around some cash really says what I want to say. I'll do that anyway, But, there has to be more that I can do."

"Okay sir. I'll give it some thought. Ah, sir? You have one message here this morning from a Doctor Assad. He would like you to call him by eleven today, at his office." said Janet, handing him the written message, "And sir? Talking about the team. Roz was in earlier this morning. It appears that she and Freddie have a budding romance. She giggled and said that they are a couple of computer nerds in love. So, in view of a recent case, they would like to come in and talk to you about our company's policy on employee fraternization."

Hutch chuckled, "With those two, I'm sure we can work out something. You know my schedule. Get them in about mid-afternoon, even if you have to reschedule something else. They certainly work well together. Good, yeah, work that out and let me know. I need to talk to them about the audit going on in Dallas. I think they are just the people to bust it wide open. Isn't Freddie a member of the Texas Bar?"

"Yes sir, I'll think that was the first Bar that he passed. He was born in Houston."

"Good, let me know when I can expect them." With that Hutch went into his office and wasted no time in calling Dr. Assad. "Hey Doctor, how'd it go?"

Dr. Assad replied, "Hey Hutch, it's good to hear from you." Then in a physician's consolatory tone, "Ah, my tech tells me that she really screwed up and last nights patient may have permanent damage."

Hutch began to laugh. Then when he had settled down, he said, "Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Will he feel anything?"

"Oh no. Nothing at all. I gave them a drug to sedate him that should have allowed him to wake up feeling great this morning."

"Good doctor. I can't help but laugh. He's going to be out there in some desert community as an elementary school principal around all those mothers and grandmothers at the age he likes, not to mention the female teachers, other administrators and he won't be able to get it up." The two men laughed for almost a minute.

The doctor ended their laughter with, "Ah, Hutch? Since my tech's divorce, she had to move her kids into a dump of an apartment in a bad neighborhood. I really think that it has been effecting her work."

"No doubt about that!" exclaimed Hutch, with a smile on his face. "Making mistakes of this magnitude?!? Well, we must get her into a house in a better neighborhood. I have one in mind that's vacant right now. I've owned it quite awhile and it is not much of a tax right off. It's in a good neighborhood, good schools, fifteen minute from your offices. Three bedroom, two bath, double garage. I'll put it in the hands of one of my tax attorneys. I'll tell them to work it out so she can move in tomorrow if she wants. They will put it together so she can take title and not get some big tax bill. Tell her also that if she ever decides to get married again, that we will write her prenup for free, or any other legal work she needs done. I'll have somebody to call you later today and get it all started."

"Thanks Hutch. I purged the records. So, it is as if it had never happened."

"Excellent, doctor. Anytime you need an attorney or an auditor, just let me know."

"Good, thank you Hutch, I'll be expecting that call from one of your people. If it is after eleven this morning, have them call my cell."

Hutch hung up his office phone and leaned back in his chair, placed his hands behind his head and thought, "I wonder how many Arizona marriages we just saved."

After completing a call to one of his real estate specialists to work out the house transfer, Janet broke into his thoughts with, "Sir? Mister Baker on line one."

In an excited voice, Jeremy said when Hutch came on the line, "Hey Hutch, Top o' the morning to you."

"Good morning, Jeremy. You were on my list to call this morning. That plan of action that you gave Lorna worked very well, thanks for your friendly involvement. The four of us need to get together for diner or a barbeque."

"Yeah, that's one of the reasons I called. Anyway, you remember my legal secretary, Laura Thomas?"

"Sure the one that has been with you since you started your practice and knows all your cases..?"

"Yeah, that's the one. I had her doing a lot of the prep on the two cases we didn't file and she kept mentioning how that name Burns rang a bell. Anyway, she came into my office with a fat file from about twelve years ago. Remember when we were going over Ken Burns trust and found that his grandfather, Kenneth J. Burns had set it up. Well it so happens that Ken's father is ol' K.J.'s son, Robert. It's an old Tidewater family. They had officers on Robert E. Lee's general staff. The family is worth a couple of billion and Robert's now head of it. So, bottom line here Hutch, is that they got nailed by the SEC on RICO charges. We got their defense and I brought in you and their auditors. We beat the charges completely. Their own lawyers were telling them to plea bargain. Anyway, ol' K.J. is dead. But, I called Robert this morning and told him the basics. He has invited you and I annd, of course, our wives up to their estate tomorrow at seven, for supper. Their a couple of hours up the coast. So, if we can get out of town by four forty five, we should have plenty of time."

Again, Hutch had an occasion to laugh. He could not believe how this day was proceeding. Especially after a fantastic weekend with his wife. "Sure Jeremy. We wouldn't miss that for a million dollars. I vaguely remember the case. It was one of our first high profile cases. I remember that top gun coming in from the Attorney General office in D.C. He came into the court room as we were taking apart the governments's case and ask for a recess. The judge wouldn't give it to him." They both laughed, then Hutch said, "I'll get a hold of Lorna and we will plan to be at your place at about four to four thirty."

"Good, Hutch. See you guys tomorrow."

Friday morning - Forth week

Early that morning found a dejected Ken Burns in the airport, waiting for a flight to Dallas, Texas. Then on to Phoenix, Arizona. He found his gate and took a seat in the waiting area, thinking that things could not get much worse. A few minutes before boarding, he decided to play his "Ace in the hole." He drew out his cell phone, brought up the right number in speed dial and hit the send button, "Dad?"

"Hey, Kenny. I hear you are on your way to Arizona?"

"Yeah, Dad, I think I wore out my welcome, here."

Ken's father laughed, "That's putting it mildly, son."

"Ah, dad? Ah, can you pull some strings and get me sent up north or some other place along the Atlantic coast? Even ah, the ah... D.C. area?"

"Not this time, son. Do you remember about twelve years ago, I think you were in college, your grandfather, uncles and I almost went to jail on RICO charges? The SEC and FBI claimed that we were operating like mobsters. The Feds were going to make examples of us and our own high priced lawyers were telling us to plea bargain. Then an old friend of dad's put him in touch with a super law firm. They brought in another firm that is a combination of lawyers and forensic accountants. Those guys took apart the Feds case piece by piece and we all walked. They were the Baker and Hutchinson law firms. Ring a bell, son?"

Ken sank down lower in his seat. Just when he did not think it could get much worse, it did.

His father continued, "Your mother and I had the Hutchinson's and Bakers here on Tuesday evening. Lorna Hutchinson is a lovely southern lady. Your type, I know. But, you should have never messed around with her. Either one of those men could have made one phone call and had you sent to the desert, alright. In a shallow grave out in the middle of nowhere. No son, I can't help you this time. Fact is, I'm cutting you loose. Just be happy that Norman Hutchinson let you leave with your life and credentials. You've disappointed me, your brothers and uncles in the past. As the youngest, we tried to give you some slack. I brought you here after I cleaned up that mess you made up in Boston and hoped that you would grow up. However, that does not seem to have happened. This time, as far as I am concerned, you went over the top and compromised the family name. As the head of this family, I cannot allow that to happen. Also, it is critical to me to know that I have these men and their firms on my side when I need them. I am not going to clean this mess up for you, Kenneth. You still have your trust fund. However, as far as the family is concerned son, this is goodbye..."

Closing his phone, the stunned Ken was awakened from his thoughts by the flight attendant calling for first class passengers. He collected his thoughts, picked up his carry-on, dug out his boarding pass and found his seat on the aircraft. But, the real rude awakening was yet to come for Ken Burns.

The following Monday morning.

Entering his outer office a few minutes after eight am, Hutch greeted his secretary with a big satisfied grin, "Good morning, Janet. How are you on this beautiful morning?"

"I'm good, sir and how are you?"

"I seriously doubt I could be any better. We had the whole bunch home this weekend and ya know what? I think we are becoming a stronger family than we were seven or eight months ago. Lorna and I agreed that we wouldn't wish these last three weeks on anybody. But, we sure are making good use of the experience."

"I am certainly glad to hear that, sir."

"So? How's your family doing.?"

"They're all good, sir. The kids are doing well in school, my husband likes his job. But, he does need to get out and play some golf, or some other exercise. He's getting a noticeable spare tire around his waste."

"You play too, don't you?"

"Yes sir, but ah.."

"You know I have that membership in that country club, I can never remember the name. Anyway, Lorna and I need to get out there more often, too. I'll tell you what. See if you can get the four of us a tee time for next Saturday morning. Let me know... Oh, and Janet?" He said just before he turned to go into his office, "Out on the golf course, you and your husband can call me Norman, Norm, or Hutch. But, certainly not sir, OK?"

Janet smiled, "OK, sir. I'll let you know what tee time I get. And, Sir? Your first appointment is waiting for you in your office."

"Good, thank you, Janet. And ah, bring us some coffee."

As Hutch entered his office he greeted the person sitting in a chair facing his desk, "Good morning, Miz Meyers. Janet is bringing us some coffee." He sat down at his desk and flash her one of his self confident smiles.

A visibly nervous Beth Meyers greeted Hutch with, "Ummm yes, good morning to you Mister Hutchinson and yes, a cup of coffee would be nice. Umm, I'm here this morning to say, I'm sorry. I should not have touched your wife's case with a ten foot pole. Several other attorneys tried to warn me, but I'm just to stubborn, I guess..."

Hutch made no comment. But was thinking, "She's lost the cocky attitude...Not very attractive, five foot four maybe five foot five, twenty to thirty pounds over weight, yeah, I can see how Ken talked, and/or fucked her into taking Lorna's case."

Beth continued, "Ahh also, I came here today to tell you that I have sold my practice to three of my associates. The sale will close in less than thirty days. Ahh, I called my uncle who practices law in Stockton, California. He would like me to come out there and take over his office. He wants to retire and travel. I would leave right after the sale of my practice closes."

Janet entered the office with two cups of coffee, "Cream or sugar, Miz Meyers?"

Beth took the cup from Janet, "Ahh, no thank you. Black's fine."

After Janet had left the office, Beth continued, "Ummm, so, Mister Hutchinson, ah, well ah, another reason I am here is... Ah, I need to become a member of the California Bar. Ah, I know I can pass the test. It is just that, well, I need for you and Mister Baker to withdraw your letters to our state bar... Please?"

Born on a dairy farm about 45 miles south east of Stockton, so Hutch knew all about the place. He was not at all surprised to hear that Forbes Magazine had deemed it the most miserable city in the nation in which to live. He looked her right in the eyes and asked, "Why would we want to do that?"

"Well ah, sir, I ah, I am leaving, giving up my practice, umm... It would certainly assure my departure if I knew I could get into the California bar."

Hutch leaned back in his chair, placed his fingers and thumbs together across his chest and spread them out, "Yes, I can see that. OK, I 'll clear this with Mister Baker, but if you are out of town by this date next month, we will withdraw our letters..."

Beth sat her cup down on the table next to her chair and stood up, quickly, "Thank you, sir. I won't let you down. Ah, I'll call from the airport and give you my flight number. Ah, thanks again.." she said turning to leave. Then she turned back to him, "Have a nice day, Mister Hutchinson." Then exited his office.

Janet entered a few minutes after Beth had gone."That appeared to go well."

"Yes Janet, I think it did. Get Mister Baker on the phone for me, please." When she had left the room, Hutch lean back in his chair, chuckled and said to himself, "Victory, the sweet taste of victory." He felt every bit as good as he felt when they had won any of their largest cases.

One Month later

After spending 15 days cruising some of Europe's rivers with her husband, Lorna found herself at a table with her whole family, plus a few. It was the semi-annual fund-raiser banquet for the Peace Officers and Firefighters Foundation. Tonight, she would be giving the update speech. Looking over the large round table, she felt good about her life. To her right sat her husband, who had helped her write tonight's speech. To her left sat her son, Tim with his date. Next to her sat Randy and his date. Next to her sat Kathy and her date. Next to him sat Barbara Johnson and her date, Hutch's brother, Michael. A navel officer who had recently been transferred to Norfolk Navel Base.

Hearing her name called, Lorna rose from her seat, gathered her cue cards and then went on to mount the podium. Adjusting the microphone, she began her speech with "I must admit that, after some recent events and some stupid decisions on my part, it is not easy for me to stand here before y'all, t'night. And, I know y'all know me as Lorna Jean. However, to dispel some rumors, media reports and set the records straight, let me reintroduce myself. I am and will be until my dyin' breath," she looked toward her family and right at her husband, "Missus Norman A. Hutchinson, Esquire." She then held her left hand up to allow the diamonds to sparkle and show the crowd that her rings were still on the proper finger. It started with claps, then cheers. As the crowd settled down, she heard the distinctive, booming voice of Jeremy, "Welcome back, Lorna Jean!"

Hutch sat listening to his wife's speech, thinking how proud he was to be the speaker's husband. The smart and beautiful, Lorna Jean Hutchinson. Fallible human, but still his wife and he loved her beyond words. He knew in his heart that with effort from both of them, counseling and time, his trust in her would return. She had recommitted everything that she could to save their marriage and he had to respect that. Also, he had to admit that her efforts to fix 'the mess' as she called it, had, in certain areas of life, served to increase his trust and respect for her. No doubt, she had learned a few very valuable lessons and they were much closer today than they had ever been. Maybe that was why he let it go as far as it did.

At a table not far from the Hutchinson's sat several young, unmarried attorneys from another major law firm. During Lorna's speech, they spoke in low tones about her short affair with Ken. As her speech drew to a close, one young lawyer said, "I can see why he'd try to get her. If I thought for a minute that I might get away with it, I think I'd give it a shot. I'll bet she'd be one hell of a roll in the sack for the right guy."

Another said, "Yeah, well that guy Burns got banished to the desert. Phoenix, Arizona, wasn't it? Certainly not one of my favorite places in this world."

Yet another added, "Yeah, but that's not all. I hear he can't get it up anymore and the doctors can't say why. He insists that Hutch had something to do with his condition."

As Lorna stepped down off of the podium and started to return to her family, the only man at the table of lawyers that looked over forty said, "There's no doubt about it, Hutch had everything to do with his condition. However, you'll never prove it. Shoot, they'd haveta find Hutch standing over Burns' still warm, dead body with a smokin' gun in his hand before the DA would lift a finger. Then they'd haveta match the gun ballistically with the slug the found in Burns' body before he'd do anything else about it." As Lorna passed near their table, the fifty something southern lawyer continued, "Gentlemen? There goes the property of Norman Hutchinson. No trespassing! Trespassers will be prosecuted by the owner, personally. Annd, I might add, there are some fine women in the Phoenix area of this world. I'll bet anything at all that Burns would rather be dead, right now. So, let me say this as my closing remarks. I've been fucking southern socialites since I was seventeen years old. So gentlemen, I can look out there right now and point out at least a dozen women, married and unmarried that any one of you could take home tonight and there would be absolutely no ramifications. However, there are two women here tonight that y'all should leave alone, completely alone. Do not ask them to dance, do not talk to them. Do not even let them know your name. One is Lorna Hutchinson. The other is Jennifer Baker. I know Jeremy Baker well enough to say that he would not have let it get beyond that first kiss. That guy Burns would have been long gone by the stroke of midnight. And, Jennifer would most likely at the very least, got bare her bottom turned bright red. It would have cost Jeremy only one phone call. There's another point you young barristers should always remember if you plan to practice law in this area. Jeremy and Hutch go back to their college days. You mess with one, you've messed with the other. And together, they will rip you apart, piece by piece."

bucksilver
bucksilver
426 Followers