All Comments on 'I Didn't Have a Choice'

by Slirpuff

Sort by:
  • 236 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
good story

though I think he'd have been better off with Sue, His ex wife still seems crazy and to much trouble to bother with. His comments at his first counseling meeting come to mind, she didn't want sex with him but as soon as he left she wanted sex with someone else. She didn't really want him untill the talk with Sue, what she wanted was the comfort of life she thought they had

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Very Good Story...

Good pacing, build-up, confrontation, resolution, and conclusion. However, it would seem to me that a man, who divorces his wife because he is not getting any sex WAITS(?) for months(?) until he believes that she is now having sex with another, would succumb to those very desires that caused the divorce more urgently.

John.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 14 years ago
Interesting story

I like the way SP's stories ramble around with unexpected twists and turns. I don't know about the menopause stuff, but the ups and downs of the relationships seemed almost painfully realisitic to me. An interesting read!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Similar to PostScriptor's stories

The subject is too similar with PostScriptor's "Breach of contract" and I think "Melting away slowly". Nice try though.

dirtdigger1955dirtdigger1955over 14 years ago
Your stories.....

are exactly like driving 60 miles per hour, in reverse, using only one mirror, and it ain't the rear view. It's that little side sumbitch that says objects are closer than they APPEAR. NO SHIT! Good storytellin', damned near laughed and cried, but sure laughed till I did. Keep 'em comin'. Cheers

dirtdigger1955dirtdigger1955over 14 years ago
Your stories.....

are exactly like driving 60 miles per hour, in reverse, using only one mirror, and it ain't the rear view. It's that little side sumbitch that says objects are closer than they APPEAR. NO SHIT! Good storytellin', damned near laughed and cried, but sure laughed till I did. Keep 'em comin'. Cheers

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Your stories always seem

to depend on distance being created between the main characters by anger and an inability of people to talk to each other. A convienient and well worn mechanism.

Poizon69Poizon69over 14 years ago
Very Good Slirpuff.

Interesting story that kept me reading until the end. Keep the stories coming.

bruce22bruce22over 14 years ago
Interesting story

I wanted to stop in the middle to sleep but couldn't stop!

A fun read (there are still a lot of digiting errors) with good images and moments. They sounded very real to me...

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Excellent story

One of the best story I read on this site for a while. keep writing them.Thanks again.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Nice

You just get better and better. Thanks.

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioover 14 years ago
Lack of communication . . .

Even if there are "hormone problems," a woman who loved her spouse would try to please him sexually because most women know that men interpret lack of sexual interest as lack of love from their partners, just as women might interpret lack of affectionate behavior (cuddling, hugging, holding hands, etc.) as a sign their men don't really love them. The problem, as I see it, is her decision not to go to counseling when hubby complained about their relationship. Blaming hormone changes for her behavior is to me like blaming PMS for causing a woman to commit murder (this has been used in at least one prominent defense at trial, if not more than one). A person also knows right from wrong despite having too much alcohol, or being high on pot, and the law still makes a person responsible for his actions despite the influence of drugs. Another way of putting it is the insanity defense requires, among other things, that the defendant not be able to tell right from wrong. So I have trouble swallowing the "hormones made me this way" excuse. Not a bad story but the reconciliation is really tough to believe. Thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
I have no fuckin' idea what the story's all about

Honestly, that's because I didn't read it; I read the first 2 paragraphs and skipped to the last a couple paragraphs and the story is as boring and uninteresting as it was in the first a couple paragraphs. <p>

The last major story posted, I did the same thing and enjoyed everything I read, so I went back and read every word in the story and was not disappointed. This was total gibberish nonesense about a man and a woman characters I didn't find interesting or worthy of my time.

zed0zed0over 14 years ago
Kind of a Stupid Wimp

She admitted she had been with other guys! That's a show stopper right there! She doesn't want to fuck him so he divorces her, but when Karin gets medicated she goes out and screws somebody else? And he's okay with that? Jeeze! I guess it's okay to keeps her around as a fuck buddy, but have her move in? Now he is stuck with the nut job and can't hook up with Sue, unless hopefully you have a part two in the works.

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpeteover 14 years ago
Very interesting read....

...I agree with Vulcan re:the counseling,though I know that when one spouse avoids counseling it is usually because they feel at fault.Hormone injections(estrogen AND testosterone) will help many women deal with loss of sex drive, as will lifestyle changes and counseling and so-forth.Of course most of Slirp's stories inject anger and lack of communication as a plot device since this is the MAIN FUCKING REASON most relationships that are failing slip over the edge.As far as this being gibberish,what a stupid comment.The author laid out this story as simply and cogently as is possible and if it were any easier to follow it would be an instruction manual.I would have liked to see the reconciliation involve more dialogue but I'm just another nitwit critic so who cares? Thanks for the read.

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpeteover 14 years ago
Have to add....

....that it seems that so often readers will say things like"he should have stuck with the new woman instead of going back to nut job wife" or whatever and it makes me laugh.Like did these amateur psyches ever think that the new women is an unknown entity,who knows what baggage SHE may have,and that when there is a long history between two people that usually counts for a hell of a lot, often trumping the allure of "new meat".Men have no problem justifying loyalty to less than desirable friends because"I've known him since grade school" or something,but when it comes to a love relationship it's "I'm sick of her shit"!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Wow, does anyone understand the term recycle

It was and interesting story but I am glad it was a story and not someone's real life. Based on the wife's attitude and behavior before the divorce there is no way in hell I would have stayed with her or ever gone back with her. Sue seems a much better catch with less mental problems than the wife. But as PPP says you dont know what baggage a new one has, but in reality after she had been dating around you dont know what baggage the ex has either. My wife is on chemically forced menopause due to cancer treatments. She went from sexual dynamo to lack of drive. But she is very willing to have sex and still orgasms very well. Anyone ever explain that chemical inbalance is actually a malfuncting brain?

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
LOL ANOTHER stupid man story

at the time of the resturant scene when the wife THINKS steve is dating/ fucking Sue she is already ON her medications. So her reaction was NOT in anyway Justified.

<br></br>

every story the husband is fucking idiot. What is it with this author?

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 14 years ago
Major Conflicts One again NEVER resolves

<b>More than the sex issue... her complete and utter disregard for him was shown by her reaction to his Pleas to see a doctor. </b> Then when she was on the medication she overreacted once again. So Steve chases after her ???

<br></br>

That makes NO sense. Lets asume that Karin had some sort of medical orbiochemical imbalance which was greatly contributing if not the primary cause of her loss of sex drive during menopause -- which DOES happen in some woman.

<br></br>

BUT her reaction to the scene of seeing Steve and Sue at the restaurant is totally unjustified and shows a <b> serious lack of character.</b> Remember Karin has been on her medication for a while and has no possible excuse for her atrocious behavior.

<br></br>

If you are man who is married and in his 40s or 50s you probably know a REAL story about a friend who's gone through the same sort of thing: when the wife loses the sex drive during menopause.

<br></br>

but in THIS story the problem with the wife is that when Steve began to pull away and get serious about the divorce she still did not even attempt to figure how this looked from Steve's point of view.

<br></br>

<b>It is ironic that Steve seems to be much harsher towards Karin when she has a medical problem and hormone imbalance but once that is cured / controlled... she acts even worse with no justification and Steve is chasing after her!!! </b>

<br></br>

Like I said it makes no sense.

<br></br>

In fact I really don't understand the point about reconnecting sexually with the idiot wife midway through the story. If his life was still in the crapper and yet nothing going on that would be one thing but at this point in the story Steve is only moving on with his life so why risk screwing up by getting emotionally it's actually connected to a crazy bitch like Karin?

<br></br>

Again this make no sense.

<br></br>

This could have been a good story but instead it turned out to be a pile of crap. <b>The problem is that the major issues/conflicts in the story are NEVER resolved. </b> But then again experience with this mediocre author tells us that it is pointless to ask WHY? since the story is ALWAYS reconciliation at ALL costs No matter what the wife does.

DrallDrallover 14 years ago
Wonderful!

A great story. Thank you so much.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
HARRY?

SHUT THE FUCK UP! Just because you are a sad lonely OLD man that has NO feeling for anything or anyone let the rest of us enjoy a couple who are still in love with each other. Beside they both were stupid and both cheated on each other. But love wins in the end. GOOD story Slirpuff. Ignore SAD and LONELY old men like HARRY.

SleeplessinMD2SleeplessinMD2over 14 years ago
Part 2?

Normally, I do not ask for a Part 2 to a story with a "happy ending" but there are aspects to this story that make no sense. When medical problems first appeared with Karin and she was this perfect wife, mother etc. did she care about the impact of her condition on her marriage? When the divorce proceedings started why didn't Karin treat this problem seriously? Instead she launched a campaign of intimidation through friends and family to make him cave in. These actions and her total disrespect of Steve's needs were excellent reasons for the divorce. What makes no sense is that the new sexual knowledge and abilities of the new Karin came from playing with toys and watching a porn DVD. Huh? So Karin who had no interest in sex when she was with Steve suddenly upgrades her skills after the divorce? Note Karin did not beg Steve to come back after promising to work on her problem. Then you have June ambush Steve during Karin's session. June rather than exploring the relationship between Steve and Karin just attacked Steve. For June to advise sexual toys and a porn DVD for training makes no sense. The reason for a second Part to this story it is not clear that Karin respects and love Steve even in the ending. The new Karin did not differ that much from the old Karin in her approach for getting what she wanted.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Great analysis - Harry, well done!

We sincerely appreciate the logical analysis that Harry uses to analyze these types of stories. In stories such as this, Harry's analysis is typical better than the story itself. From the author's standpoint - the analysis usually is designed to point out the flaws in the stories however, Harry's POV is not always neutral. Especially, when the story features the sad wimp male figures. So keep up the good work author and Harry!

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Nicely done

Thanks for writing a nice story. Not every situation will be perfect but I found myself relating to this sad and frustrating tale. I for one liked it and also the way you developed the characters. Thanks for writing and sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
A good read

I read for entertainment and don't let the moaners and so called critics of this website, sway my like or dislike of a story. Find most feedback opinions to be negatively biased toward certain authors and readers. Hogwash. Read the story for what it is not what it should have been. Author you've come a long ways since your first story.You've improved greatly, and are a good story teller. Thanks for the read. ML

xtremeddxtremeddover 14 years ago
Damn That Was GOOD!!

Slirpuff,

I hope you have more inspirations to write stories that are even more twisted! You threw more curves than the World Series......Damn That Was GOOD!! Young people have only the past to look forward to. --(My Quote)-- I've been married 32 years, In Love for 33 and can relate to your "Choice" tale. Someone married under 20 years.....good luck. I still don't know how, "I Didn't Have A Choice" ends ??? Write an end or epilog, PLEASE ! Give Randy a hope of what her life can/could be if she learns this lesson from her parents.

Great Story, S.

xtremedd

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 14 years ago
Sleeplessin MD2 comments right on the mark

and sum things up perfectly. The fact that her sexual needs came back AFTER she went on the medication IS EXACTLY the point.

<br></br>

why didnt she make that effort when they were married?

The ONLY effort she made was to FORCE steve thru family pressure to stay in the marriage.

PostScriptorPostScriptorover 14 years ago
Enjoyed it!

Great read, one that I enjoyed a lot. And, although it was a rough road for the characters, this story ended with a reconciliation. I think that it reflects the fact that we don't live our lives as a series of well considered, rational action; we often just seem to muddle through.<p>

In fact, the way in which the author brings his characters together again, but has a blow-up occur that threatens to cause a final rift, is somewhat reminiscent of stories in the 'romance' genre. Very clever.<p>

That this topic is still hot is demonstrated by the many passionate comments, and the thought that Slirpuff's story has generated. I think that is one of the best compliments that a writer can receive in the 'loving wives' category.

morefunnmorefunnover 14 years ago
Damn Fine Story

Wonderful read and thanks for sharing your talent. It almost reads like real life. As to your critic's and naysayers, guess none of them have ever loved a woman or been married to the woman they love when menopause slides throught the back door. It is tough and don't let anyone even think they know what is going on. Some days are good, some are on the outer edge of sanity. But even doctors can't explain it all. It is just the womans body and brain are changing chemically and hormonealy and let those close beware of the rough seas ahead. As for her dating etc. Big deal, he was too. Glad he finall got over his Ego and she finally realized with a counselor she needed help they were able to reconnect. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Again a great story and please keep sharing with us.

lancewmlancewmover 14 years ago
Story enjoyable but unrealistic

Enjoyable and generally well written but I have to agree with HarryIV (for once) for all the reasons Harry gave that the story is completely unrealistic. I don't grade stories down so much as Harry for this dimension of analysis. To me there are other dimensions, like writing skill and enjoyment of the fantasy, etc.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
One of your top submittals

You have become one of a small group of my favorites in this category and I really enjoyed this one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Sorry

Well wriyyen! I understand his finally divorcing her rather than cheat, that showed character. When he discovered she was dating, he got angry, gave up (he still loved her) and felt betrayed...why, because - she couldn't have sex with him, she couldn't take medicine for her dilema but she could do it and see other guys. Stop right here! If she was taking medicine now and dating, we missed something...WHY didn't she approach him and tell him she was taking medicine and things might work for them?

When you are in real love with someone for over twenty years it is easy to justify or overlook the little subtle changes or the fact that the ex didn't bother to tell hum she was trying the medicine in hopes it would solve their problems and get them back together...No, she dated. Wake up, he loved her and maybe she was within her rights as a single woman to go out but, she had been wrong and if she really wanted him back, dating was the wrong road. As to the therapist, she needed to solve her own problems and she tied them all to him and her past refusal to have sex. Even when he voiced his hurt and anger at her for dating, it was discussed so...wake up, move on. Yes, he is alwys going to love her but when she remedied her situation she dated other men instead of approaching him. I think, wrong ending...unless you want to write an Epilogue, he and Sue finally get together and the ex moves in with her last boyfriend from the restaurant.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
This

Was a all around great story, and I really enjoyed it. Your writing about real life situations, gray, green, blue, not just black and white. You are growing as a writer and thats what counts. thanks.

mwoody2950mwoody2950over 14 years ago
This could happen

It was way too real. I'm living your story, with a decision to make. I've been married 27 years and something has to be done. Pretty depressing, living with a woman you adore and love but there are still enough issues that you aren't fulfilled. Thanks for a great story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
ok?

here you go again. right up until the last two paragraph's, you had me. then you blew it again! .......... ok?

bigguy323bigguy323over 14 years ago
Ok, at least she didn't cheat, but she is still

cunt / bitch. I mean how much effort does it take to lube up her cunt and ACT like she likes it for 30 minutes?!?!

Fucking cunts have 100% of the pussy and men want pussy, so we're totally fucked. It seems like our hero was a good man and a good husband who tried everything to get the bitch fixed, BUT NOOOOOOO she had to be the shrew.

He should have STAYED AWAY. At least with another woman, he'd have a OPPORTUNITY for some pussy without all the bullshit. Fuckem and move on.

peteinchicagopeteinchicagoabout 14 years ago
Not Bad

Good story, lots of sympathy for the guy, shrew wife, bitchy kids and controlling pissy parents. I never understand these characters who let the wives turn them into the bad guys because they are trying to protect the reputation of someone who's trashing them up one side and down the other. Hell, I don't understand authors who write characters who put up with such controlling parents, tell mom and dad its none of their god damn business and to fuck off if they don't like it. I think he made a mistake taking Karen back and he would have done better with Sue, sounds like Karen's still a controlling bitch. That's just my take on the characters anyway, the story was a fun read, quite enjoyable.

RonRWoodRonRWoodalmost 14 years ago
Great!

You re-enforced my last raving comments. Two people that have shared a life together and continue to love each other should always be able to reconcile, no matter the hurdles encountered along the way. I wish my own life still had the sex in it they rediscovered. However, my wife is approaching 60 and I am 65- the change of life is what it is... Great story though. Makes me wish...

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Great Story

their should be a part 2 to this story...

Scorpio44Scorpio44over 13 years ago
Great!

Nicely done!

Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
DON'T DIVORCE HER

there's no point in making lawyers happy, it's expensive and unnecesary,

I know the feeling too well, if I got sex at all, it was like doing it to one of those blow up dolls, and calling it making love would have been a lie. But you do NOT need a lawyer to sort it out.

Been there; take my word for it, if you love your wife and she loves you, tell her that kissing and hugging, especialy when she's naked or nearly so, is the starter for sex. If she doesn't want sex, then the cuddles and kisses are gone too.

If she keeps on firing the starter on her car, without running it, one day the starter won't work any more.

When I told my wife this, she thought I was going to leave her, so I showed her an email I sent asking for advice. When she'd read it I asked her if she wanted to leave me, and begged her not to. She just hugged me and that was all the answer I needed.

We got lots of help and now our relationship is better than it has ever been, especialy in sex!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Well Done...except...

...Karin should have mailed, called or attempted to see Steve when she finally discovered her cure and wanted sex again. She didn't tell him and, of course, she dated and certainly had the right; however, before she did - she should have told Steve...She Didn't!!!

Yes, he dated and had sex but she denied him and gave to others and he knew and sensed it. I could not have taken her back...friends - maybe. Hurt, damn right, she finally took the remedy and took other guys for the ride, not Steve...that really, really hurts and I would never get over that.

Actually, I would have dated her back exclusively had she came and told me, remedy working - try me.

Good story but divorced or not - infidelity - she chased him away and then gave it away. I could never forget or forgive.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Inconsistent Behavior

The thing that REALLY bothers me is not so much that Karin begin dating, but it was when she CANCELLED her date with Steve, who she later claims she wanted to be with all along, to date someone else, the tall dark haired man. I know girls always use the cop out-”It was just date.” inferring the supposed insignificance of any event with some other guy; but if it was so insignificant why was the father of her kids stood up for Mr Insignificant? You’d think it would be the other way round; unless after getting her Mojo back due to taking her meds, she slept around a lot and had no long term prospects beyond one night stands spreading for a string of supposed Mr Insignificants and in the end found she’d settle for Steve. I would have been very mad if I found I was put in second place at the restaurant and don‘t think I could have carried the relationship any further. She claims to be considering the guy’s proposal to be intimate. Talk is cheap. Actually putting Steve in second place at that point by standing him up is a very good clue that he did not come in first place when it came to resuming the physical relationship he so craved with newly medicated Karin. Only in one of these RAAC, LW stories could a guy divorce his wife for her not wanting sex and not correcting it, then he takes her back after she corrects it and does for some one else what she wouldn’t do for him.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
he didn't miss the sex

he missed the creampies! Now he'll get them every day, lucky him.

MissouriUSAMissouriUSAabout 13 years ago
Entertaining Story!

Entertaining Story! Somehow I had missed it until now. Thanks for sharing it! This marriage thing can get real complicated can't it. I don't know that I would have or could have taken her back. But he did and I don't think that it would have been completely out of the question to get back with her.

It's been a while since there has been a new Slirpuff story posted. You have some fans out here so I hope that you are still writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
HARRY nailed this one... the wife seems to have been worse on the medication

The Main issues are never resolved. The wife who had no interest in sex ever again ...is now dating other men.

WHY ? Well it seems she is on her medication. Thats great but doesnt she feel any remorse for the hell she put own husband through?

In fact once the wife was on medications she acted WORSE. After being on her meds the wife did began to have remorse about what she had done to Steve.

Yet she never told the kids what happened. WHY did she let her kids STILL hate and curse their own father?

It wasnt until Steve emailed the kids that they went to their mom and ONLY then did the wife tell them the truth.

Second her reaction at the end of the story where she met the relator is very serious. Keep in mind she was ON her meds and the wife had already been dating alot.

Given that the wife's reaction to meeting Sue was waaaaay too extreme amd irrational.

And it went on for days and days.

He sends 10 emails

Karin shows up at a resturant with another man.

So naturally they reconcile..

REALLY???

DWornockDWornockalmost 13 years ago
I thought the story was original and well written.

However, the story was too weird for me to enjoy so I could only justify rating it 3***.

mike2710mike2710almost 13 years ago
Thanks

I missed this one the first time around, but glad I found it. Good story and thanks for the entertainment. Mike from Texas.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Helpful story

Thanks-- it's good for me to see other versions of what I'm going through, even in a fictional setting. You've done a good job painting the frustration of being married to and in love with someone who is done with sex. You've performed a public service here.

chytownchytownover 12 years ago
I Love A Good Story!!.

This is a good story very entertaining and a smooth read. Thanks for sharing.

BTTapBTTapover 12 years ago
Suprised by the haters

So many people are hating on the wife. Blame enough to go around. The premise was excellent: husband and wife love each other, wife goes through hormonal changes that render her without sex drive, and also with bad temper, irrational behavior, etc. Husband divorces her. She can't handle it. She eventually gets shaken up enough to seek therapy and medical help and mostly resolves the problem. No indication that she slept with other men. Even if she did, she was divorced, and he slept around, too. Wife is supposed to come crawling back to husband as soon as she realizes that she has gotten her sex drive back again? Well, she did repeatedly contact him via email, etc.-he was the one who didn't, or rarely, responded. Also, don't you think she had reason to be pissed off at him? He abandoned and divorced her while she was going through a very difficult time (with medical problems). I'm not laying it all on him-but she had reason to be pissed, too. And, he already left her once, maybe she couldn't handle the fear of rejection. Especially after his second meeting with the counsellor when he basically said that he had finally moved on and was enjoying his life. The counsellor was fishing for info to pass onto the wife in re: if there was a chance for reconciliation now that the wife had her problem corrected. His message to the counsellor would be interpreted as "no." Once they reconnected, she was quick to try and get it going again-hell, she slept with him right away, and didn't want him to leave that night. Yeah, she freaked out when she saw him with his new friend, but hubby wasn't totally honest with her about his "meeting" either. I just don't see the wife as a ghoul in this story. Should she have listened to her husband more and seen that her lack of dealing with her absent sex drive was killing the marriage? Yes. But, does her mistake and other behavior mean she was the bad guy? No. I thought this was a great imagining of a difficult situation.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Great!

I enjoyed reading this. never thought I would like a LW story but this one seems different. the siruation is more real and does happen all the time. of course, in real life it doesnt often end up as happy.

PTBzzzzPTBzzzzabout 12 years ago
Well written

got the emotions charged up

Toylover52Toylover52about 12 years ago
Very well done

Even after the third time I am still impressed.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
Choices

An excellent read and perhaps for me a little to close to my own experiences with one exception. For my wife and I it is a complete reversal. I became Karin ( in that I had the medical problems) and vice a versa. This story is certainly less than six degrees of separation. Each and every read brings an increased level of clarity to my minds eye.I began reading erotica and finished with a wealth of understanding.

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdabout 12 years ago
Most Guys Wouldn't Have the Guts to Do This

This story was terrific, if not a bit idealistic. Wonder if he could have reached her by relating how her rejection impacted his self-confidence & manhood?

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdabout 12 years ago
Also

As I thought about this story, I considered the possibility that Karin never actually had a physical problem. What if she had been having an ongoing affair with "dark-haired guy" all along and the husband "surprised" her with the divorce? What if she set up the counselor scenario to try to get hubby (and gravy train) back while still seeing her lover?

If you look at it from this perspective and not the husband's, Karin appears to be one conniving bitch. Could a good 2nd perspective sequel.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
So Realistic - BUT

He loved her more than life itself and that written, he wasn't looking to cavort around with 5 women a week. He missed her, hated what happened and still loved her.

The meeting with June - threw him into a frenzy and he gave up his convictions and tried to distance himself from everyone, dating - yes.

My problem is not that they both ended up dating and just know, the love he had for her, divorced or not - would hurt him. The real issue - when she got meds to adjust her hormones and discovered that she had some normal desires and urges back, did she send him an E-Mail? NO!!!

Yes he never responded to her E-Mails but he read them and if she really, really, really felt for him she should have sent him a direct and short one and simply wrote...'New meds, I'm horny, want sex, want you, can we at least try and fuck around...huh? Nope, she gave it away to other guys.

I liked the story but she did not communicate with him aggressively as he had tried with her...instead - she dated and fucked other men. Very sad, this man would come to this conclusion and as much as he loved her - he would never get over it. She knew the problem, solved it and took it to town and the meat market...No reconciliation - SAD!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Problem

Just a story, I know and your usual good one so - five...but...

When she discovered the hormonal problem, got midication for her problem and then found the sexual urges returning then, at that time - that moment, she should have E-mailed him and/or left him a short message explaining that her sexual urges might have returned and could they give it a try?

Did she - no, she went with another man, in fact - maybe a few. To me, this was what the divorce had been all about. No sex for him. Now she had sex with other men - not him - very heartbreaking and final! if she wanted him back so bad these other guys NEVER would have happened!

When he walked out of the restaurant after her admitting that she needed a man in her bed - that should have been it - right there. Sure, he loved her, always would but when she got her hormones back in order did she try sex with him - NO!!!

I could never get past her having casual sex with someone else after all they had been through, she said she loved him still...then - she should have done anything and everything to confront him and get him to try sex again - before she tried someone else - she didn't. I would always be hurt but I would have to move on and you brought Sue into the story - she was the right one for him to spend the rest of his life with. Let the ex have her tall dark haired bedmate.

Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Wow

@underapteciated. The answer to your question is no. I am living this story right now. Well. The pre divorce part. I don't know if I will have the courage to make the move that he does. But the fact is that she doesn't care about his needs or feelings or anything that concerns sex.

What makes me an expert? I've been married seven years and in the last two years have had sexual relations with my wive give times. The last time was two months ago when she did exactly what was described. Illed off her sweats dropped her panties and said "well you want it here". I tried to do it but I just couldn't manage more than just a couple of strokes before I was basically disgusted

I'm staying for the kids for now. But I am at my Wits end.

My direct connection ends with the divorce in this story, but I will say you nailed her descriptions and actions as well as pefectly getting inside his head and heart.

Amazing story

OldHidekiOldHidekialmost 12 years ago
I had a hard time with the first concelling session.

Steve was invited to come, and then gets grilled. I would think that the first thing that would happen would be for June to have Karin talk about herself, and what she was working through. I believe that Steve's desire to get out of a sexless marriage before he started to cheat on Karin was justification enough. Finding out his wife who had closed the fun factory had re-opened it, even before he had started to date would have made me storm out of the dinner with Karin, and out of the counselling session. I can't believe that June would be THAT stupid.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago

Sequel?

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Reality sucks

I wish that my ex-wife had the decency and honesty to admit her own problems instead of foisting it all on me, we would still be married... oh well...

Thanks for the story, you keep writing and I'll keep reading and enjoying!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Randy

What does one say about the Randy character. What kind of daughter is this who actively works at preventing estranged parents from reconciling. The behaviour of the other children is not much better. Looks like Steve would be better off keeping his children out of his life no matter were he and Karin end up.

Dubby

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 11 years ago
Not Bad

Could have used a little fine tuning but overall not a bad read.

RhomanovRhomanovover 11 years ago
Snicker

This just screams for a Part 2.

Thx

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
And the next part?

I'd like to see another chapter to this good tale. The kids attitude STILL makes me mad!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Classy.

I like how he prioritizes sex over marriage to the love of his life, and rapes the fuck out of the vows he swore in the process. Guess sickness and health only counts when she's healthy.

It's also baffling how some of the readers blame this on the wife. This is quite literally one of the few stories in LW where the man is completely in the wrong, with only a few mistakes by the wife to offset it.

She has menopause a perfectly natural event in her life that causes her to have emotional flareups and other issues. With zero empathy, he critiicizes and jokes, and insists she take some pill that the doctor suggests.

She finally gets fed up with her situation and takes that pill. The pill causes a chemical imbalance that makes her completely unstable and hating sex.

He decides not having sex is more important than his vows or his love for his wife, and rather than insist on further working on his marriage, divorces her.

He then goes on to lie to his family for some reason, telling them something other than the really awful truth so that apparently they hate him less. The truth was worse, and I'm still not sure what he supposedly told him. Whiners criticize the reaction of his kids. Uh, hello? He ditched their mother because she didn't like sex anymore and could only have it out of a feeling of obligation? Can we say ASSHOLE?

So then, they reconcile a bit, and he throws a complete tantrum because she got a boyfriend... that she hasn't been having sex with. Nevermind that he completely rejected her and left her lonely and alone. She won the divorce, even though she didn't ask for a divorce. SHE WON SHE MUST BE HAPPY. Right? No, he fucked her over, then treated her like shit after.

He then goes on to fuck fifteen women and is all huffy about the one man she had sex with out of desperation and loneliness? Are you fucking kidding me? This guy is a victim, readers?

He then lies to his wife about his finances, lies to her about how the business has nothing to do with her, hangs out with a beautiful woman other than her... and is surprised when she draws the wrong conclusions?

He tells her she's wrong, she shows up, and he's hanging with the same woman, naked, a woman who insists that it's all just innocent, and really the ex-wife's fault?

Afterwards, he finds out AFTER STICKING WITH HER THIS TIME, that she can be helped and made healthy again.

After getting laid fifteen times. Guess all he really needed was a lot of strange and now it's cool if he' doesn't get laid all the time. Again, he's a dick.

Like I said, this is one of those stories where the wife does make some mistakes, but the blame is almost all on the husband. The title is a self-serving lie - he had a choice, and he chose sex over his wife. He punished her for things she had no control over, punished her for giving him everything he wanted. He just wasn't willing to take the bad with the good.

Kudos to the author for having the balls to write a man who is the bad guy, and an almost- second chance woman who is pure cunt and made it clear that she is going to try and cheat with the man when the opportunity comes up.

Assuming you meant it that way, four stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
To Classy

Not sure I agree with you.

Let's see for over 12 months he talked to her about the problems and suggested counseling and other avenues only to be shut down every time. Finally because he doesn't want to remain celibate or cheat on his wife you are saying it his fault and he is an asshole for bailing on the marriage. I think this still falls in the both sides not communicating and not working on the issues with the wife being at least 80% to blame for continually saying no to everything. As a 51 year old I wouldn't be prepared to give up sex.

But that is just my opinion :-)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
No

When she discovered her chemical imbalamce and the fact that she was somewhat normal again, did she call or E-Mail him with the good news - NO!

I would have thought that this info would have been the right time to offer up hope for them to get back together but N0 - she had sex with other men?

The whole story was trajic from a standpoint of a normally good marriage but her decision to see other men rather than share the good news with her husband - sorry, she is no longer the same person.

Well written story though - Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Shut up

Anonymous 1/31/13, shut the fuck up you stupid cunt, the guy went out of his way to not break his vows and paid for a divorce, financially, emotionally, and mentally, and then after taking the spite and bs from his own family, his ex finally decides to fix HER OWN problem, and then sleeps with other men, all the while letting the family think he is the bad guy, no, she's a cunt, and so are you, don't comment when you are more retarded than a donkey with autism

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Good story

And it sure elicited a lot of vitriolic comments. While I think that both the husband and the wife share the blame for getting divorced, I have to agree with some of the comments that the wife's unwillingness to seek help from a Doctor or Doctor's did have a lot to do with forcing the husband's decision to divorce her. It can be extremely frustrating to be married to someone that won't admit that there's a problem. And hence the title of the story - He didn't have a choice. Keep writing - I enjoy your stories.

Patm8128Patm8128almost 11 years ago
Thank you

Usually I have gift of gab, so to speak. But, when it comes to "discussing" matters with my wife, I'm afraid emotions tend to push vocabulary out of the way. In your story, you describe the way I think and feel, but cannot voice, due to anger! I'm happy for you that your story ends in a happy way, or actually doesn't end could be more correct! I hope ours turns out as good.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
I'm glad that this story turned out OK but not necessarily right.

He lasted longer than I would have before he got the divorce. Fuck his wife, fuck his kids, fuck his parents. None of them knew shit and they did not want to understand. His wife did not want help, she just wanted a warm body to lie in bed then she finally gets most of her medical problems fixed and then what does she do, fuck someone else. I would never have given her the time of day after that, he had already put up with too much. Having had some marriage problems including the no sex thing, I just got it somewhere else. Still married 15 years with no sex from my wife (but we are old now). Up until 15 months ago I was still having sex with the same woman since 1998. It worked for me.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
What a Dick!

This guy says he loves his wife who, by his own admission was a perfect wife and mother. Then she loses her sex drive due to menopause (Which is PERFECTLY natural ) so he divorces her and walks out on his family. All because he couldn't pressure his loving wife into sex anymore. Not only that, he tells his kids to go to hell because they don't side with him. Talk about a selfish bastard. Where was the emotional support for his wife? All he could think about was getting laid, which he did with dozens of women, then gets insanely jealous if his now EX wife has a date? Andto top it off, he blames EVERYONE but himself. What a self absorbed dickhead. She should get tested for STDs after taking his worthless ass back.

My beautiful wife hasn't "gone through the change" yet, put several close friends have, and their husbands helped them through one of the most Difficult periods in woman's life with love, understanding and patience. When its our turn I don't know exactly what to expect, but I know marriage is a partnership so I'll help my wife any way I can. If that means being a verbal punching bag for while, then I'll suck it up and be a Real man. Menopause passes and we love eachother, so we'll get through it together.

Mr_GeistMr_Geistalmost 11 years ago
Anom 7/5/13

You can't help someone that doesn't want to be helped. How many times do you run into the wall before turning away? If the wife refuses to get help or even admit that there might be a problem, you have a big job ahead of you. You might want to look closer at your marriage.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Hes a dick

Wow. What a fucking asshole

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 10 years ago
what a fucking bitch

he's been a good husband, father and son in law. They all so their true color by turning their backs on him. She has problems and doesn't want to do anything about it. The kids are gone and she has no sex drive. She knows something is wrong with her because of menopause. Yet doesn't seem to want to fix it. What a bitch.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Selfish Husband

I guess he forgot the part of the wedding oath "In sickness and in health, for better or for worse". My wife went through menopause and lost her sex drive also. It took 5 years to get her symptoms straightened out. I stood by her and helped her through this. Five years later I became a diabetic and went through hell trying to get my diabetes under control. I even had problems with erectile dysfunction. She stood by me then through all this. There is more to a marriage than sex. We have been married for almost 35 years and I hope I die before she does because I do not have the strength to live without her.

OneShotOneOneShotOneover 10 years ago
Two imperfect people

Loved the story. I liked and disliked Steve and Karin. But I'm glad they are together. I would not have felt that way two days ago. Also would have liked to have known more about their children and how they healed the family rift.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
fix it, but don't change it

This was a great story.

I came to care about the characters and the issues they were dealing with. Karin's stubbornness over her condition drove a wedge between them. You could have delved into the family treatment and the lack of communication a little more. Could have described Steve's pain and suffering in more detail.

Having lived through a similar situation, I apparently have far more empathy for Steve than other recent commenters.

I did not divorce, but have had a very rough 8 years to work through it. Some days, I want to toss it all in the trash. Others well, others are wonderful. Still working on it, but we came very close to your story......and ours is not over, either.

One thing: I kept stumbling on your poor spelling and grammar. It's not the story, not everything, but it's important to the overall effect. Please make the effort to repair those difficult flaws to an otherwise intriguing story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
They were BOTH wrong!

No one could argue who was MORE wrong, but they both did some pretty stupid stuff to damage a relationship that otherwise should have lasted forever. Them getting back together was the right ending, and I really liked that it wasn't all sunshine and fairytales. Interesting that there wasn't any talk of remarriage, and I also liked that. At this point in their lives they needed to prioritize each other and build on the love that had always connected them. If they hadn't learned from the experience that the "legal" connection was never going to be enough, then they hadn't learned anything. One thing that bothered me was the timeline. It seemed to take a really long time for things to get forced into resolution. Neither of them were fast movers, yet both were mired under heavy duty issues requiring answers. Even throughout the resolution process, the communication issues that plagued the marriage didn't seem to really improve. Actually, that kind of leant some realism to the author's portrayal of folks too stubborn to realize how set in their ways they were. I guess he never pressed for full disclosure of her sexual partners because he didn't want to fess up to how many others he had been with. But if she had limited experience, relying mostly on dildos, one would think that the issue would have been more important to her. I was really hoping for a great passage that would define how important sex and marital intimacy is to a healthy marriage, but it seemed to take her YEARS to figure it out. The petty high school jealousy mind games towards the end seemed awkward and out of place, and didn't seem like firm footing to move forward on. I'd wonder if she was attempting a "cake-and-eat-it-too" sort of scenario, but mostly I don't think slirpuff was going for that. Interesting tale, and thanks for the read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
So you're going to leave the ending OPEN?

They didn't remarrry, they're just living together. Did they sell "her" house? Why would she sell it if she has all the money? Did the kids and the rest of the family and friends ever come around? Are they talking marriage or is Sue right and all she has to do is wait until Karin goes off the deep end again? I liked the story right up until you didn't put an ending to it. BAH!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

the end he had a great choice, he shoud have left the ex behind and stuck with the new chick, honey you have a problem, fuck off, honey, fuck off, ok I tried, time passes, oh you were right, now ive been fuckin other guys and remembered, lets try again... fuck this

1/5

EMiamiRiverRatEMiamiRiverRatover 10 years ago
Choices, choices, choices

Either way he went, he was either in heaven or hell. He couldn't know how it would turn out, so he chose the way that had been time-tested on all but the sex issue. I would like to see what would have happened had he made the decision to go in the other direction. Might I suggest someone with a feel for your style write an alternate ending.

sdc92078sdc92078about 10 years ago
They both did wrong...?

He took her mood swings, lack of sex drive and refusal to seek treatment for a YEAR and then left because he didn't feel right cheating on her.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsabout 10 years ago
chose wrong?

He probably would have been better off with Sue.

Karin put him through Hell for a couple off years, was viciously opposed to being treated for her medical and psych problems, and turned his children against him when he finally had enough.

In sickness ? But what of respect (honor) ?

Your body belongs to your spouse as much as you, do you dare to not take care of it ?

fanfarefanfareabout 10 years ago
my opinion

A number of the commentators are chastising the wife and applauding abandonment by her husband. Wow, I feel sorry for you guys and hope you never get seriously ill or incapacitated or helpless in senility, cause you just gave your wives the perfect excuse to abandon you.

And for those of you who thought Steve and Sue to hook-up. How long does Sue have before her female physiology begins to outrage Steve's delicate sensibilities? So you are urging him to become a serial runaway? Undoubtedly drunkenly driving a poorly muffled Mustang with a temporary trophy wife?

Ohh, I love alliterations!

RhomanovRhomanovalmost 10 years ago
Follow up needed

Read again - still screams for a part 2

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Couldn't Go Back

I don't think I could take her back, she broke a dinner "appointment" to go out with the guy she obviously was intending to eventually sleep with. The whole giving up sex with no concern for him, ect. I'm not saying she was a bitch who should be burned but there was too much history of it being all about her, and still no sign that she really was ready to put him first. I divorced my first wife of ten years and since been married to #2 for 25 so I have some understanding of long term relationships. Many of the commenters age 25 or so really have no clue how long-term life really works.

IGotYurWifeIGotYurWifealmost 10 years ago
M E N O P A U S E

It's not just HER change of life ....... it's yours too. he bailed out too soon. Charlie Sierra!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Not sure who I'd be madder at - the ex-wife or his kids.

After all that time and all the blowups, I just don't see him taking her back. You even put into the story at the very end that she's STILL having blowups. A man (or a woman) can only take so much before they get permanently beat down. But his kids reaction? They find out the truth and STILL can't talk to their Father? That hurts. I think he should have chosen Sue. He would have been better off in the short and long run. Thanks for the story.

KarenEKarenEover 9 years ago
Not His Fault

He tried and tried to get her to get help, and all he got was grief and her telling him she wasn't 20 any more.

As for his "abandoning" her, would you me happier if he cheated on her?

And the kids, I can understand taking the mother's side, but when she spoke to them explaining things it was definitely on them to contact their father and apologize to them. Telling the doctor they were sorry doesn't cut it.

Tootight1Tootight1over 9 years ago
loved it

I know this kind of thing happens in real life, and if the wife is wearing the pants at the time, she will do what she wants. he made the only logical choice he had, and was honest about it. family always takes sides, but rarely, per my experience, not all against one. there's 2 sides to every story, fortunately this story gave both, but the parents didn't even try to find the other side.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
I'm not you

Once I decide to divorce, it's over. How not surprising it was that she waited till the divorce was final to get tretment.....so she could fuck some other guy. And your character takes the piece of shit back. You sir are the source of your own problems.

dahlingdolldahlingdollover 9 years ago
Husband was a spoiled brat

She offered him sex. It may not have been his idealized fantasy sex but it was sex.

Her lack of enthusiasm/enjoyment for it is irrelevant considering his disregard for her participation. I call bs on guys whining about starfish/dead fish sex because if they wanted active partners they wouldn't nag or badger their partners for sex.

I also call bs on "men interpret lack of sexual interest as lack of love from their partners". More like men interpret lack of sexual interest as a lack of getting sex from their partner. I doubt 'love' has much to do with it otherwise they'd have sex when it's mutually desired rather than have her put effort into pleasing him. Though the notion of pleasing guys is amusing considering gals generally don't orgasm from sex.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
dahlingdoll

I call bs on your post. I disagree with everything you said.

dahlingdolldahlingdollover 9 years ago
Disagree all you want statistics prove it

Disagree all you want statistics prove gals generally don't orgasm from sex.

I'm guessing you're male since you disagree with if guys want active enthusiastic participation they wouldn't nag or badger her for sex but have sex when it is mutually desired.

dahlingdolldahlingdollover 9 years ago
Disagree all you want statistics prove it

Disagree all you want statistics prove gals generally don't orgasm from sex.

I'm guessing you're male since you disagree with if guys want active enthusiastic participation they wouldn't nag or badger her for sex but have sex when it is mutually desired.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous