If You Only Knew

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You're a smart kid," Nathan grinned, "That's why Joey taught you the things he did, and from what I hear; you're pretty damn good, too."

"I don't know where you heard that, "I humbly but knowingly grinned, "But I'm okay, I guess."

~~~~~~

Labor Day was over, my book had been out for a week, and the first day of my last year in college began. As I walked across campus that first day, several either smiled at me, or asked me to sign their copy of my book. "I saw you on the television," one girl said, as I signed her book, "Are all the things you wrote in this book true?"

"Yes," I grinned, "They are."

"Wow," she said, pointing to her book, "There's some very serious shit in here."

~~~~~~

I hadn't seen Laura since I'd been back from Washington, and the moment I walked through the door of her senior English class that afternoon; she threw her arms tightly around my neck and cooed, "Hi, sweet boy! How was your trip?"

"It was good," I replied, as she broke the hug and stepped back to look at me, "I'm just glad it's over with."

~~~~~~

"Hello there, Bryan," smiled the Dean of Students, Dr. Stephen Lang, as I walked across campus to the parking lot that afternoon after class, "Could you spare a minute, please?"

"Sure," I smiled, "What can I do for you, Doctor Lang?"

"I was wondering if you would be interested in holding a book signing right here on campus tomorrow evening?" he grinned, "It would do a world of good for the students here, not to mention the University, if you don't mind that is."

"No problem," I smiled, "What time?"

~~~~~~

"I think that's a great idea, Bryan," Laura smiled, when I told her about the book signing, "Just think, all of these kids around here can be proud that one of their own made it to the top."

"I'm not at the top yet," I smiled, "I'm just a writer, Laura."

"What're you talking about," she laughed, "You've never in your life been just anything, silly boy."

~~~~~~

The next day was one that will forever live in my memory, as it was a day that became the turning point in my life. I didn't have any classes that day and was sitting out by the pool with Kelly, as she didn't have any classes either when the phone rang.

"I'll get it," Kelly smiled, as she jumped up to answer it. I watched her as she walked away and remembered the night at her parent's house when a game of strip poker turned into an all out orgy. Still though, I was proud of myself that I didn't have sex with her, as it would've made me uncomfortable to be around her and Kyle together. But the one thing I did wish for was someone that I could call my own. Little did I realize that my wish would be granted sooner than I could've possibly hoped for when Kelly returned from answering the phone?

"It's for you, Bryan" Kelly said, rolling her eyes, "Its Patricia Warner."

"Oh yeah," I asked, "What does she want?"

"How should I know, Bryan," she replied, shaking her head, "Why don't you go and find out?"

~~~~~~

"Hello," I said, into the phone.

"Hi, Bryan," a familiar female voice replied, "I don't know if you remember me or not, but this is...."

"Hi Trish," I smiled, interrupting her, "Of course I remember you. How are you?"

"I'm doing well, Bryan," she replied, the relief evident in her tone of voice, "Thank you for asking."

"Is there something I can do for you," I politely asked, "Because I know you didn't call just to shoot the breeze?"

"Well, I know I don't deserve...," she began, and then started to cry before she could finish telling me.

"Hey now," I replied, trying to soothe her, "Don't cry, Trish, please?"

Once she'd regained her composure, she said, "What I was trying to say before I fell apart was, I know that I don't deserve this, but I was wondering if you and I could possibly get together to discuss a business proposition?"

"What kind of business proposition?" I curiously asked.

"I don't really want to tell you over the phone," she nicely replied, "But if you can take the time out of your busy schedule, I really would like to meet you somewhere for...oh...dinner, maybe."

My Mom, God love her, had taught me forgiveness long ago; and with that in mind, I simply smiled and said, "You name the place and time, and I'll be there. How does that sound?"

"Oh, thank you, Bryan," she excitedly cooed, "You really are a good guy, I'm just sorry it took me this long to see it."

"I've got a book signing to go to on campus this evening from seven to nine," I told her, "But after that, I'm free."

"That sounds great," she gushed, "How about if we get together for a late dinner afterwards?"

"That would be fine with me, Trish."

"Great then," she giggled, "I'll see you there."

~~~~~~

"I really love your book, Mister Hendrickson," said a young lady, who couldn't have been any older than me, "My father says you've got balls, and I agree with him."

"Thanks, I guess," I laughed, as she handed me her book to sign, "What's your name?"

"It's Marlee," she tittered, "Thank you for signing this for me, Mister Hendrickson."

"Your welcome, and you can call me Bryan," I smiled, "Mister Hendrickson is my Dad."

"Okay," she giggled, "Thanks Bryan."

~~~~~~

As I sat in the Student Union building on campus, I looked out the door to see people lined up to get my signature in their copy of my book. A feeling of immense pride suddenly welled up within me, making me realize that I had done something good, something worthy of recognition by my fellow human beings.

Still though, the words, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction," ran through my mind, making me wonder when the axe was going to fall. I mean, I had exposed a major conspiracy, and in the process, I was more than certain that I'd pissed off some of the major players implicated in that same conspiracy. I wasn't sure now whether I'd done something good or something stupid. Even though I did have Nathan there to look after me, and I'd had enough training to ensure that I could protect myself, I still wondered about those around me, the ones that I loved and cared for. Oh well, I guess I'd just have to wait and see.

~~~~~~

Once the book signing was finished, and I'd left campus, I drove to the restaurant where Trish had asked me earlier to meet her. The name of the place was called Panda's Chinese Garden, and it was a restaurant that stayed open until the wee hours of the morning. The time was now 9:45 pm; and I felt a strange surge of excitement at the prospect of seeing Trish once again.

"Hello, stranger," she smiled, as she met me at the front door, "I wasn't sure you would want to meet me."

"And why not," I asked smiling, "You did say that you wanted to discuss some business, didn't you?"

"I'm really sorry for the way I treated you in college, Bryan," Trish somberly replied, her eyes now filling with tears and threatening to spill down her face, "I said some very terrible things not only to you, but about you to other people."

I took my hand and raised her face to look into my eyes and, smiling, said, "That was then and this is now. Besides; we were both different people back then."

"Back then," she sadly smiled, "You make it sound like it was ancient history when it was only a couple of months ago."

"How about this," I asked, "How about if I said that we were both different people back then, and that we can start over, would that be okay?"

"Thanks Bryan," she said sniffling, "You're such a nice man."

"Come on and let's eat," I grinned, offering her my arm, "I don't know about you, but I'm starving."

"Alright then," she smiled, taking my arm and kissing me on the cheek, "I could stand a bite to eat, myself."

~~~~~~

"So, tell me, Trish," I smiled, "To what do I owe the pleasure of having dinner with you?"

"I want to ask something of you," she uneasily replied, "And if you can't, or perhaps don't want to do it, I understand."

"What is it, Trish?"

"I've decided to further my studies," she anxiously said, "I want to go ahead and get my PhD, in developmental Psychology."

"That's great," I replied smiling, "But what does that have to do with me?" Trish suddenly grew strangely quiet and cast her eyes to the floor. "What is it?" I asked, "You can tell me."

When she raised her face to me, tears were now falling down her cheeks like a pouring rain. "I know I don't deserve this, Bryan," she cried, "But I'm gonna need your help to pass the required English courses. Can you please help me?"

I looked at her closely, and the feelings I once had for her began to reanimate themselves inside my heart when I looked into her hypnotic eyes, weakening me; but at the same time giving birth to new feelings of strength within me I never knew existed.

"I'll help you, Trish," I smiled reassuringly, "But there are a couple conditions."

"Name it, Bryan," she said, almost begging, "I swear I'll do anything it takes."

"Well, for starters, you're going to be in a couple of classes with me again, next semester," I pointedly replied, "That's not going to be a problem, is it?"

Trish showed me a side of herself that I'd never seen before when she replied, "I'm not the same person I used to be, Bryan. I acted like a stupid, petulant child the last time I saw you. I barely got my bachelor's degree, and it was only by the skin of my teeth that I got it. But when I saw your face on the television; it not only showed me how brilliant you truly are, but it also showed me that if you really put your mind to it, anything is possible. I also discovered that I had been wrong about you all this time, and I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

By this time Trish was crying again, but I was always taught to forgive, and in doing so, I reached into my pocket and withdrew my handkerchief, and then handing it to her, I smiled and said, "I'll tell you what; our first class together isn't until next semester. But that doesn't mean you can't get a good head start so, why don't you come to my house this weekend and we'll get started."

"Are you sure," she cautiously asked, "I don't want to interfere with your plans or inconvenience you."

"It's not an inconvenience, I assure you," I smiled, "Besides, it'll give you the chance to study without any pressure."

"Are you absolutely sure about this, Bryan," she asked, "I mean if its not...."

"Relax," I grinned, "It's gonna be okay, okay?"

"Okay," she smiled, which dazzled me all over again, "Thank you."

"You're welcome," I chuckled, "Now; let's eat before our food gets cold."

~~~~~~

As I drove home that night, I was becoming more content with the path my life had taken thus far; and I knew that God had most definitely blessed me with everything that had happened to me in my life. Even now when I look back to the times when I was just a skinny geek that everyone used tease and call awful names, I realized that it was all part of my becoming the person I was meant to be.

~~~~~~

Chapter Four

The next day was Wednesday, meaning I had only two classes. My Chemistry class convened at eight o'clock sharp that morning and lasted for two and a half hours. I really liked my teacher, Dr. Scott Covington, and he liked me. Part of it was because I never once missed any of his classes in the almost four years I'd been attending the University; and I guess the other part of it might've been because of all the controversy that was beginning to arise as a result of my first book. Still though, he treated me the same way that year that he had in years past, and I adored him for it.

My second class was with Laura, and it was one of my favorites, creative writing. I know that Laura loved me very much, as did I her, but it still didn't deter her in making sure that I studied and learned to my full potential.

I was always made it a point to be the first one to Laura's class, and this morning I was teasingly harassed the moment I walked through the door. "Good morning, Bryan," Laura teased, batting her eyes at me, "Or should I start calling you the Good Samaritan?"

"I haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about, Doctor Matthews," I lied, walking towards my seat with a knowingly stupid grin plastered across my face.

"Yeah, uh huh" she continued teasing me, "Just remember what we talked about a while back."

"Things are different now, Laura," I smiled, "Trust me, okay?"

"Oh, I trust you, Bryan," Laura giggled, "But only as far as I can throw your little ass."

"You're silly," I laughed, "But I still love you anyway, Big Sis."

"And I love you; too," she continued giggling, "Ya little shit."

A few moments later the classroom began to fill up with people, temporarily halting the banter between us. Still though, the moments I was privileged enough to be able to spend with Laura were, and will forever in my mind be, some of the most precious memories that any man could possess.

~~~~~~

Because I didn't have another class that afternoon, and the fact that it was lunchtime, I decided to call Trish and invite her to have lunch with me at the house.

"Hello," she replied, into the phone when I called her.

"Hi, Trish," I said, "It's Bryan."

"Oh, hey," she said, the smile on her face evident in the tone of her voice, "How are you, Bryan?"

"I'm good," I grinned, "I was wondering if you were free for lunch this afternoon."

"Oh, gosh," she cooed, "Yes, I would really like that."

"Tell me how to get to where you are," I excitedly replied, "I'll come and pick you up."

"Okay," she replied, then gave me directions to her house then said, "I'll see you in a few."

~~~~~~

"Hi, pretty lady," I smiled, as I opened my car door for her, "I'm glad you could come with me."

"Hello yourself," she giggled, making my heart flutter, "Thank you for inviting me."

"Anytime," I smiled, "Anytime."

~~~~~~

My house is roughly ten miles from the university, sitting atop a hill way out in the countryside; and as we were heading out of town, Trish asked, "Where are we going?"

"It's a surprise," I smiled, "And it's one I hope you like."

~~~~~~

We pulled into the one hundred yard long driveway that led to my house, causing Trish to smile and ask, "Where are we, Bryan?"

"We're at my house," I proudly replied, "And I'm making lunch."

"Really," she asked smiling, "When did you start cooking?"

"As soon as I got to college and found out how shitty the cafeteria food tasted," I joked, "No, not really, Laura taught me how to cook."

"You two are very close, aren't you?"

"Yes," I smiled, "She's one of my best friends, and I love her very much."

"I used to have friends like that," Trish replied, "But then I started dating David Landers and started acting too big for my britches."

"Are you guys still dating?" I inquired, "I meant to ask you earlier and forgot."

"No," she quickly replied, "And if I never see that asshole again, it will be too soon."

I saw a look of pain flash in her eyes, and in doing so, I said, "If you ever want someone to talk to, I hope you know that you can call on me."

"I know that now, Bryan," she cooed, reaching across the front seat of my car and gently grasping my hand, "And thank you."

"You're welcome, Trish."

~~~~~~

"What the hell is she doing here?" Kelly asked, as Trish and I walked into the house.

But before I could answer, Trish spoke up and said, "I was invited to eat lunch, but if you don't want me here; I can always get Bryan to take me back home."

Kelly has as big of a heart as I do, and in seeing, what she later called, the silly grin plastered across my face, she smiled and said, "I'm sorry, you're right. Hi, my name is Kelly Hanson, and I live here with Bryan."

"So, you two live together then," Trish cautiously asked.

"What," Kelly gasped, then began to giggle, "No, no, it's not like that. My fiancée, Kyle Crossfield, and I live in one of the rooms in Bryan's house."

"Oh, I see," Trish replied, clearly relieved, "I'm sorry about the mix-up."

"No problem," Kelly giggled, "Hey, I was just about to take a swim, Trish. Would you care to join me?"

"I'd love to," Trish replied uneasily, "But I didn't bring a swimming suit."

"You're a size six, right?" Kelly asked smiling.

"That's right," Trish giggled, "Damn girl you're good."

"Nah," Kelly smiled, "I'm just a fashion major and that's how I know. But I've got some suits that will fit you just fine," and taking Trish by the hand, she giggled, "Come on, girl, it's gonna be at least an hour before Bryan's slow ass will have anything ready to eat."

~~~~~~

Kelly and Trish were in the back getting changed when Nathan and Kyle came in from doing God knows what.

"Hey, guys," I grinned, "Where have you two been?"

"Oh, man, Bryan," Kyle excitedly replied, "Nathan took me to the shooting range this morning. Holy shit, it was so cool."

"Oh, yeah," I asked, winking at Nathan, who sat back grinning, "So, did you shoot, and if you did; how did you do?"

"I hit nine out of ten bulls-eyes on the first try, ten out of ten on the second," he animatedly said, "And then I got nine out of ten on the third."

"He didn't do too badly for someone who never shot a rifle before," Nathan said, "Hell, I thought he did pretty damn good."

"Thanks Nathan," Kyle grinned, "That means a lot coming from someone like you."

"What do you mean someone like me?" Nathan teased, grinning like a kid.

"Oh come on, man," Kyle laughed, "We all know you're a bad ass."

"Says who?" Nathan chuckled.

"WE DO!" Kyle and I yelled, diving onto Nathan and trying to wrestle him to the ground, laughing like fools, all three of us.

"While you three little boys play like children, we two ladies, are going to take in a few rays out by the pool," purred a feminine voice, which suddenly broke us from our mischief, and caused us to look in the direction it came from.

Standing near the kitchen by the back door was a sight that made me want to drop to my knees and thank Almighty God for making things that looked like what we were now witnessing. Kelly and Trish looked like nothing I'd ever seen before. Of course I'd seen Kelly in a bikini many times before, and knew that she was beautiful.

But the sight of Trish in a bikini literally took my breath away. Everything that a man can imagine in his mind to be beautiful stood before me, and just like I did when I saw her for the very first time, I sat dumbfounded and staring, totally at a loss for words.

"Jeez, Bryan," Kyle knowingly smirked, "You act like you've never seen a girl in a bikini before."

"Not as beautiful as the girl I'm looking at right now," I replied, no longer shy or timid in word or action, "And I doubt that I'll ever see anything else as beautiful as her either."

"Thank you, Bryan," Trish cooed, making her way toward me, and then lightly kissing my lips, "That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me....and truly meant it."

"I thought you were beautiful the very first time I saw you," I told her.

"Yeah," laughed Kyle, "And he looked then like he looks now."

"Shut up, Kyle," Kelly warned, jabbing him in the ribs with her thumb.

Gently caressing my cheek with the palm of her hand, Trish looked into my eyes and forlornly replied, "Yes, and I was too blind to see it back then, but not anymore," then she leaned in and softly kissed my lips again, lingering for only a second before she leaned away smiling.

~~~~~~

As I cooked lunch for all of us, I looked out of my kitchen window out onto the patio/pool deck to see Trish basking in the sun, as it bathed every inch of her perfect body with its shining rays.

I'd asked Kyle to fire up the grill since he was going to be outside with the girls, and the chicken breasts that I'd had marinating were now ready to go over the flames. I knew that Laura's last class of the day had been over with for at least thirty minutes. Nathan had conspired with me to get her to come out to the house, and he'd already gone into town to fetch her. He was to make sure that she would be under the assumption that there was something wrong with my publishing contract, and that it was imperative that she come immediately.