In My Life Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Who was in the gunfight?" asked Bob excitedly. "Did anyone else get hit? I notice you're wearing your Colts, Emerson. What happened?"

Emerson found himself giving Bob a brief recount of the day's events. "Make sure you get word to the other ranchers. Your place is in the center of things, so that's why I'm asking you." Emerson reminded Bob.

"Sure, Emerson. I'm on my way to see a girl in town and I'll stop at the other places on the way home." Bob was eager to spread word of this recent course of events to the others.

It was dusk when Bob trotted into the Casey yard. He found everyone, including Tom Gordon, eating dinner. Bob remembered the part Tom had played in his beating at the hands of Hogan and had little to do with him since.

"Come in, Bob!" It was Carmella greeting him. "Sit down and join us. You are looking colorful, but much better, from what I hear. It is nice to see you getting around."

"Thanks Mrs. Casey. I do have a bright mug, don't I?" Bob laughed. "I'm here to deliver a message and some news. Lang, Mosher, and Gately braced Emerson and Shorty in the street in front of the hotel today. Some men were killed."

A plate smashed on the floor, startling everyone. Maria had dropped it when Bob mentioned Emerson. She placed a hand on a chair to steady herself. Her face had turned very white. Once again Maria felt a tightness in her chest. Lang and Mosher were known gunmen and killers. She had tried to warn Emerson about the type of men he was dealing with. He had started wearing guns, Maria had heard, so he was fair game for these killers!

Now Pat and Carmella looked at her. Maria ignored their attention and asked, "Bob, did they shoot him?"

"Jack Seitz, the clerk at the mercantile saw the whole thing," continued Bob. He had told the story several times and felt he had found the most dramatic way. He went on, as if he never heard Maria's question. "Those three spread out and had Emerson and Shorty boxed in. Well, Emerson told them if they wanted jobs to forget it. If they were looking for boot hill, then start the ball!"

The group at the table was silent, fascinated, yet afraid of the finish to Bob's story. Lang, Mosher, and Gately were considered tough men! Maria held her breath and waited.

"Lang pulled his gun first and Emerson drilled him with his left hand gun! Mosher bought in and Emerson salted him down with his other gun! Then Lang tried to bring his weapon into play again and Emerson gave him another round. Meanwhile, Shorty and Red were shooting it out. Shorty finished him off, but took one in the leg and won't be able to ride for a week or two. Those three badmen of Taylor's died right there!"

The silence was a tangible thing as everyone envisioned the gun battle Bob had described. It was incredible! Maria was the first to speak. "Emerson wasn't hurt at all?"

"That is the message part of my visit. I met up with him after the fight in town. He is concerned about having enough men for the drive and wants all the ranchers to have a rep at the hotel tomorrow at dusk. This is my last stop, and I'd say Emerson sure looked okay to me, but I'll tell him you were worried." Bob's discolored face broke into a big grin.

Carmella laughed as Maria turned red, but everyone began talking at once, so any response Maria could make was lost.

Tom Gordon remained silent, embarrassed at Bob's presence and obvious distaste for him. Tom realized that he took strange pleasure in the pain he felt. Maybe that would cause him to act with more courage in the future. It was ironic that the fear of embarrassment would make him braver.

Emerson Trask seemed to be up to every challenge. Tom felt jealousy as he considered how he must compare to Trask in Cathy's eyes. Cathy seemed to be taken by Emerson, and being a fair man, Tom decided she had reason to be.

Tom remembered how Cathy Jordan had looked at him that day in town and knew regret. He had come to recognize the fact that her opinion meant a great deal to him. He would do his best to see her before he left on the drive. She could be at the meeting in town and Tom decided to attend, as well.

Maria left the room, not wanting the others to see how unsettled she had become. Emerson had been in a gunfight and could have been killed. There was more than one way for him to break her heart. Dying was the surest. That thought was one Maria could not shake. His life was in danger, trying to help a community that had turned him away.

She had been worried about others being led blindly into trouble. Now it appeared that Emerson was going to be the focus of it, and that worried her even more.

The next day was to be the last one to gather the herds for the drive to Santa Fe. Maria was out early helping search for any steers that escaped the previous sweeps. She had found a couple and chased them to where the main herd was held.

After lunch, Maria had ridden out again for a last look. She found a huge steer grazing by a spring and started to haze him toward the herd, when he suddenly cut back to the spring and the cows still grazing there. As Maria's mare turned, it slipped and went down. Maria was thrown and landed hard. Dazed, she remained on the ground, waiting for the effects of the fall to ease.

Feeling better, she got to her feet and turned to look for her horse. It was then she saw a man riding a buckskin watching her. She was certain she had never seen the rider before.

He was a heavy man, and even mounted, Maria could tell he was not tall. His face had a reddish complexion and his hair was gray, although he appeared to be still in his thirties.

"Ma'am, I didn't want to frighten you, so I just sat here waiting for you to notice me. You must be Maria Casey. I am Bill Hatko, but most folks call me Billy." The mounted stranger tipped his hat displaying a shiny, bald head. Hair only covered the sides not protected by his hat.

"You are correct, I am Maria Casey, but I'm certain I never saw you before, Mr. Hatko. How do you know me?" Maria had sensed this odd looking man met her no harm.

"We have never met but I do feel like I know you. I recognized you from a description, one I thought was more imagination than truth. Now, I see it was extremely accurate." Billy Hatko had replaced his hat and offered Maria a wide grin.

"Sir, you seem to know more of me than I do of you. May I ask where I was so described to you?" Maria found her self warming to this friendly stranger.

"I think the first time was in the China Sea, although it might have been off the coast of Africa. Your name came up more than a few times over the past several years," Billy continued on, "and now I can see why."

"Excuse me. I was the topic of conversation in China? I don't know anyone there. I've hardly ever even heard of it. You must be confused," and Maria smiled to prevent it sounding like an insult.

"You may not know anyone there right now, Miss, but I can assure you I heard of you while I was sailing off the coast of China." As he spoke Billy saw understanding cross Maria's face.

"Is it possible, Billy, that you are an acquaintance of Emerson Trask's, a man who spent the past eight years at sea?" asked Maria.

"Emerson and I are more than acquaintances, as you call it. We sailed together and fought together. We owe each other our lives. I was the one who took the time to teach him how to fight with knives." Billy was beaming broadly as he finished.

"Did you also teach him to talk about ladies when they are not around to defend their honor?" Maria asked somewhat heatedly. "I can only imagine what horrible things that man spread about me to the four corners of the world!"

"I guess you don't know Emerson so well if you think he would say or do anything to stain a lady's reputation." Billy was very serious as he spoke. "The Emerson that left this basin may have had some character faults, but you should have noticed the one that returned is a gentleman. As for spreading things about you. He did. If having people in far away places think that the loveliest single example of womanhood lives in this part of New Mexico, upsets you, then you should be upset. It certainly has been spread around a great deal."

Maria couldn't doubt this man' sincerity. Still, it was difficult to believe. To conceal her surprise she changed the subject. " Could you help locate my mare? She seems to have wandered off."

It proved a simple matter for Billy to find the mare, which hadn't gone far. Once Maria was mounted she began asking Billy some of the questions in her mind.

"Emerson and I really don't get along very well. We had some very serious disagreements before he went to sea, and I am not prepared to forget them. What brings you to Morgantown? Are you looking for a riding job? Let's talk while we chase that stubborn steer back to the main herd, if you don't mind?"

"I left the ship in Galveston when Emerson left. I suppose I followed his lead and went back to the town in Texas where I spent some of my youth. I got there and discovered I knew almost no one. I had no family left and I got bored. I started thinking about Emerson and all the stories he told about Morgantown. You know what? This place seems more like a home to me than anywhere else does."

" When I rode into town this morning, it was like a homecoming. It sounds strange, but listening to Emerson describe the places and people made them all seem real. I knew Emerson thought he may have some problems here, so I drifted this way."

"I wasn't in Morgantown very long before I heard he was making quite an impact. He's the sort of man that is noticed where ever he goes. Remember, I've seen it in ports all over the world. Men want to be his friend and women adore him. I used to envy that, but I came to realize he is different and better than most. I'm content to be his friend and be part of his experience."

Maria surprised herself at how comfortable she quickly became with this man from the sea. His manner was polite and his stories interesting. He talked a great deal about Emerson and she listened, fascinated by the places and events the two men had shared. Maria discovered that this man was totally loyal to Emerson and valued that friendship above all else.

They chased the steer into the herd which had been combined with Jordans' the day before. As they parted ways with the brute, Tom Gordon rode up. Before he could speak Cathy Jordan galloped her pony to the gathered riders. Maria made the introductions.

"Cathy Jordan, meet Billy Hatko. Tom Gordon, Bill Hatko. He rode into my life a short while ago, but I feel like we're old friends. He sailed with Emerson for some time." Maria had determined to make this man, so close to Emerson, her friend. She genuinely enjoyed the man and a part of her thoughts told her he would make a valuable ally.

Cathy and Tom both showed their surprise. Cathy spoke, "You must know all about Emerson! Where did he learn to fight with fists and guns? Does he have many girlfriends? Are all you sailors so strong?"

Billy Hatko gave a hearty laugh. "Aren't you shy? I guess Emerson hasn't made much of an impression around here! Maria, remember what I was saying earlier about Emerson attracting attention?"

"I'll try to give you a little information on Emerson. While at sea, he would try to learn everything anyone could show him or tell him, and he was very quick to pick things up. We had a man we called the professor on the ship for a couple of years. He had a trunk full of books and Emerson read all of them, probably twice. They spent a great many evenings talking about people I never heard of, ones with Greek and English names. We sailed with several different men that were considered dangerous with various weapons. By the time the ship docked Emerson would be their master." Billy was enjoying his audience.

"A former professional boxer spent a couple of years working with Emerson. Emerson refined that skill with occasional practical application in various ports. Emerson also spent time with men of different nationalities, learning anything they could teach him. He was always well liked and men were flattered that he would be their student."

"He shot boxes of shells while we were on the open sea. The others couldn't understand his dedication to the use of the hand gun, at least not until they saw him in action."

"As for women, he was always noticed by the fairer sex, but avoided them for the most part. This always made him even more sought after. It's funny how that worked. The more shy he acted, the more interested the ladies would be. He never really involved himself much with women. Some of the crew said he suffered from a broken heart and didn't trust them. I don't know about that." Billy looked directly at Maria as he finished his sentence.

"We sailors work hard enough and usually become rugged, but Emerson is athletic. He is strong and fluid, like a jungle cat. I guess you've noticed." Billy nodded to Cathy. "How is it he never mentioned a girl as pretty as you? Are you new to Morgantown?"

"I think I'm going to like having you around! My family bought a ranch in the basin a few years back." Cathy added with pride, "We are from Texas originally."

Tom Gordon extended his hand. "My family is relatively new to the area. We run the bank in Morgantown. I hope you are going to sign up for this impending cattle drive. It will be quite an adventure."

"I'm sticking with Emerson from now on. He's a regular lightning rod for adventure and I might be able to help him out of some tight spots. I've done it before. I got the basic story on this drive while I was in town and rode out to join Emerson, so count me in." Billy shook Tom's hand as he spoke.

"Tom, I think it is grand that you would help on this drive. We are short handed and you will make a big difference." It was Cathy talking and Tom had trouble concealing his surprise and pleasure.

"I'll be sure to hold up my end from now on, Cathy. Thanks." With that Tom turned and rode back to the herd, fearing too much emotion was showing on his face.

Maria spoke to Billy, "It is great to hear you will go on this drive. You will be paid of course. If you want to see Emerson, why don't you help us for an hour or two, than you can escort Cathy and me to Morgantown. Emerson has called a pre-drive meeting for this evening. He will be so surprised to see you with us. That way we can listen to more of your fascinating stories."

"If I turned down that offer, I would be even dumber than I look!" Billy chuckled. "You have yourself a deal. I haven't run into many that want to hear my recollections."

Emerson made his way to town a bit early. He went to the hotel bar and bought a glass of beer and then went to the dinning room. Men were beginning to drift in. He sat where he could see them come through the dinning room door.

Maria walked in with Cathy and the room seemed to light up. Men of all ages, Emerson considered, always felt a little younger with attractive women in their presence. Emerson was stunned when he saw Billy Hatko stroll into the room and stand talking to Cathy and Maria. They acted like they were old friends!

Jumping to his feet, Emerson approached the trio. He tipped his hat to the two women and stared at Billy. "Ladies, it is always a pleasure to see you, but what sort of creature did you drag in? I haven't seen anything so repulsive since I left my uncle's ship!"

Billy grinned at Emerson and replied, "I've seen the time when you were glad to see this mug. These ladies seem to find my company pleasant enough. We spent the afternoon together and had a very nice time."

"I hope you weren't telling your stories. Ladies, this man is an exceptional liar and cannot be believed or trusted. I would strongly suggest you avoid him at all cost." With that Emerson grabbed Billy's hand and shook it.

"Is it possible that you don't want us to learn about your life the last eight years?" Cathy Jordan teased. "Billy told us about all your girlfriends and how you've broken hearts on several continents."

Emerson swung his attention back to Billy who was quick to respond, "Emerson, she's just riding you a little. I never talked about any girls!"

Maria found herself laughing with Cathy at Emerson's discomfort. "Billy, you assured Cathy there were no girls. Now it sounds like you simply forgot to mention them. Which is it?"

Emerson broke in, "It seems that we can get started with the business at hand. Billy, never discuss one woman with another. Let's get this thing going."

Emerson saw that all the participating ranches were represented and began to speak to them.

"I thank all of you for coming tonight. I'll try to keep this brief. Tomorrow, begin moving your herds toward the MM. We have a chute near where the road crosses Fisher's creek. We will work the cattle through it, branding each one with a T on the left side. Road brands make it more difficult for anyone to claim any of our head, or accuse us of taking theirs, as everyone here knows."

"I want an accurate tally made at the same time. We have to know how much stock each ranch is sending. Pat Casey, I'm asking you to take care of the tally."

"Next, I will be in charge. There will be no democracy. My orders will be followed, and I will enforce them. This is for the overall success of the drive. If I am not available, for whatever reason, Pat Casey will be in charge. Miguel will take over if both Pat and I cannot be reached."

"This will begin tomorrow. I would now like to know how many are going and hear any comments or questions you have." Emerson waited knowing there would be many comments.

"I am concerned about leaving our ranches and families unprotected." It was Vern Jordan. "A few things have taken place around here to cause me to believe property and women aren't as safe as they should be. I know you're short a few men but I'd like a couple to stay behind so the rest of us can concentrate on our work without fear of what may be happening at home. I worry about my wife." All those present knew that Martha Jordan had not enjoyed the best of health the past year or so.

Emerson considered Jordan's point. He thought about his mother and sister and felt some of the concern Jordan had, but there were only so many men. "I see your point. Taylor has been pretty quiet lately, but that could change after we hit the trail. I count eleven men and that really isn't enough. If two stay back we will have a hard time driving the herd."

Cathy Jordan spoke, "Everyone talks about "men". Well, I can ride as good as most men and can do the work of one, so count me in."

No one had even considered taking a women and the surprise was apparent. Every man considered the advantages of another good rider and the dangers she would face.

"Before you say anything, I'll be going too. We don't fight as well, or as quickly as men, but I'd say we do everything else better." Maria Casey had stepped forward. "Cathy and I have an interest in the success of this trip."

Pat Casey voiced what others were thinking. "Emerson, they are top hands and that would free a couple of men to keep an eye on things around here. The problem is the danger they could face. I think we should let you make the call. The fact that we even consider it points to desperate situation we are all in."

The other men nodded in agreement, but Maria was not satisfied. "Why does Emerson make the decision? We can decide this together."

Emerson cut her off, "Maria, I make the decisions on this drive." He continued, "The two girls are a treasure this basin takes a lot of pride in. Women on the trail face dangers men don't. Beautiful women can be exposed to even more. Still, we are between a rock and a hard place. They are excellent hands. There can be no denying that, and they do have a direct interest in this. Women have worked and fought along side men since the beginning of time."