In My Life Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It worries me, but they should be part of this. The only condition is that you both agree to take and follow my orders. Will you agree to that?" Emerson spoke directly to Cathy and Maria.

"Yes, sir," was Cathy's immediate response.

"Yes, in matters concerning the drive," was Maria's qualified response.

Emerson then added, "Pat or Vern can overrule anything I may tell you two. A parent's concern comes before anything else."

"So, who stays behind? With all due respect, I suggest Vern. He can ride around enough to keep an eye on things in the basin. I want Vern to stay for a couple of reasons. He already has two family members going and his wife can't be left alone, and he is the sort that will make the rest of us feel we are leaving our places in capable hands."

"As you know Sam Shaw's wife is expecting to deliver any day. I told him we would trail a couple hundred of his head for him, and I asked him to supply some horses. He agreed to that since he obviously can't go along. The other ranchers that agreed to join us are the Robinson brothers. Emerson gestured toward two men seated near the door. Now everyone can get some dinner and get home."

Maria and Cathy were excited. Cathy asked Maria, "What were you doing? Trying to talk us out of going? You shouldn't have complained about Emerson until you heard what he was going to say."

"I never thought he would allow it, Cathy. Maybe he just likes having you around. Now I have to figure out what clothes to take. This will be some trip!" Maria could not conceal her thrill at the prospect of the journey.

Tom Gordon walked over to where the girls stood. "I have to say you two are something! This isn't going to be a picnic. I've spent more time in a saddle the last several days than the entire rest of my life. If I can help you with anything, just ask."

Cathy gave Tom a smile, "Thanks, Tom, but we don't expect to be treated special. We are going to hold up our end."

Daylight saw cattle working toward the crossing at Fisher's Creek. Miguel and Emerson had a fire going and were ready to road brand the cattle as they went through the chute. Pat Casey was there to make the count. The MM cattle had been done as they were gathered, thereby simplifying the task at hand.

The Jordan and Casey combined herd was first. The animals were fat and easily handled, but it became a hot, grueling job. The entire project lasted all day and required a portion of the second. Around noon the trail herd was pointed north and the trek began.