In Remembrance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh Caroline, please come back to me," Daniel broke down, gushing tears as he held the chilled hand of his wife.

The hospital beeps did nothing to hide the sorrow coming from the broken man sitting next to the hospital bed. As Elise slid through the open door, her heart went out to him. She felt she had to be strong for her Dad, but it would be struggle for her too.

"Dad," Elise was barely audible as she hugged her adoptive Father from behind.

Daniel was startled by the sudden touch but didn't show any physical sign of it. Instead, he sniffled away his tears and placed a palm lovingly on one of Elise's hands that were on his chest, "Hey Princess, when did you get here?"

"Just now. I got on the first plane I could when I found out." Elise took the seat next to him and placed her hand on her adoptive Mother's arm. Daniel wasn't letting go of Caroline's hand. "How's Mom doing?"

"She's in a coma. The drunk that hit her doesn't have a scratch but she's in a coma." Daniel began crying again, cuddling his face to his wife's hand as he did.

Elise rubbed his back, doing her best to console him, "It'll be all right, Dad. Mom's a fighter. She'll pull through. Just give it some time."

Daniel didn't respond and silence ensued. Time passed. Despair reigned.

"Dad, why don't we get something to eat at the cafeteria?"

"Go ahead," Daniel's head was in a constant visual, locked onto his wife's seemingly lifeless face. "I'm not leaving. I won't leave her."

"C'mon Dad," Elise put her hand on his shoulder. "You should..."

"I said no," Daniel's voice was much more forceful than intended. More subdued he added, "Sorry Princess. I just can't leave her alone."

"But Dad."

"Please," Daniel faintly responded, his voice faltering.

Elise knew that word was meant many ways. Let him stay. Stop asking. A plea to God to return the love of his life back to him. "I'll bring you back something." Walking out of the dark room, she glanced back to see her Dad crying again.

Daniel was at a loss. How could the love of his life be taken away? And on such a sacred day no less? He refused to believe it. He stood and hovered over her form. One hand still holding hers and the other now cupping her face. "Don't you understand, Caroline? We are connected. For eternity, we are one." He leaned down and placed a soft, gentle kiss on Caroline's lips. They felt cold to the touch but he was determined to warm them up. "My heart is still beating and you are a part of my soul. I love you."

Daniel leaned in again, pressing his lips against hers, his hand still stroking her cheek. He closed his eyes, willing all his feelings of passion, adoration, yearning, affection, desires; all his love for the woman below him into that one solitary kiss.

And Caroline kissed back.

12