All Comments on 'In The Night'

by B59001

Sort by:
  • 1 Comment
kelsaffirmkelsaffirmabout 13 years ago
... 49 years ago

1962 my freshman year at Penn State (main campus) makes this envisioned story so flood my senses with memories. Trying to play cupid

I was walking my roommate, Andre, to the hub to meet Judy my music listening partner (he was also a jazz lover). They had just received new "33s" with Wes Montgomery sides. Upon introduction (I step aside to a campus phone and call Mike my girlfriend (actually Gloria)). She won't be there for half hour (coming from East Halls). Listening to 'Round Midnight'

when Marcus a Que (Frat Brother) barged in to tell pledge Andre - The University President an Engineer was going to be away this weekend - hence the the Architect's lab / drawing rooms would be open. Education first - Andre excused himself as he could complete an assignment. Mike arrived just as Andre and Marcus were leaving. Judy's hour was also about up for the 9 P.M. reservation. (Wow we could have used i pods and cell phones then). As we stopped for a coffee Judy tried to excuse herself saying she was to old for a tricycle. Mike would hear nothing of it- reminding Judy she owed her from senior year. Until this time I had no idea how devious or tight lipped females could be. They had let me think I had introduced them. I knew they both went to Girl's High in Philly, but Judy enjoyed experimenting with smoke, free love and divorced parents, while Mike (though a Negro) black and almost the same complexion as Judy was the daughter of two professionals with middle class aspirations, regular church attendee (had only smoked a cigarette once). We had pizza and walked and talked - took some dumb short cut through the third hole of the Golf Course ended up all naked in the sand trap - when I was pushed on my ass and got three punctures from a rake. Nine years later Mike (Gloria) married Andre. Judy and I dated some and met at their wedding (last we met or touched) she was a student of Carlos Castaneda and on Leave after a MED Cruise. Thank you 059001 for some sort of hand-job jogging my memory of 49 years ago.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous