Is Enough Really Enough? Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Arch's eyes narrowed a bit, but he allowed his friend some latitude. "Okay, Bernie. Ask away, but I'm not guaranteeing you any answers."

Bernie looked steadily at Arch. "Truth, Arch. I want you to tell me the truth. What precipitated this sudden "vacation?" It's a simple question; now give me an honest answer."

Arch hesitated and then shrugged. "Why not," he thought. "Bernie probably knows anyway."

Arch looked across at his friend. "Okay, Bernie. I'm sure that you already know the answer to that question. I saw that Dee was engaged to be married and I just wanted to get the hell away. Nothing mysterious about that. She has gone on with her life, and I thought that a nice long trip would help me get on with mine. "

Bernie felt his heart go out to Arch. "Arch, please listen. That picture and the caption was a screw-up by the paper. Denise isn't engaged, she doesn't even know that guy. The photographer screwed up, it's as simple as that."

Arch sat there, dumbfounded. This was information that was at first difficult for him to comprehend. "Dee not engaged?" he thought. "She's not getting married?" he asked Bernie? "It was a mix-up?"

"Yes, Arch. The paper screwed up and printed a correction the next day. Everyone had a good laugh about it, except for Dee. She was quite perturbed, to say the least."

Bernie then took a small envelop from his pocket. "Arch, I want you to do me a favor, a big one. Listen carefully, Arch. This is a short note from Denise. You really never gave her the opportunity to talk to you after the breakup, she deserves at least that. I want you to read this, Arch. Don't tell me that it's none of my business, damn it. It is, we're family now as well as colleagues. Just please read the damn thing, Arch. It won't take you more than a couple of minutes," Bernie pleaded.

Arch sighed in resignation and nodded. He held out his hand and Bernie passed him the pale blue envelope. He slowly extracted a sheet of stationary on which was written a short paragraph from Denise.

Dear Arch I'm not asking for anything from you. I just want to tell you that I realize the incredible efforts you put into supporting me, efforts which I ignored because I was self absorbed in my, not our, personal tragedy of not being able to have children. I'm deeply sorry for letting those efforts go in vain. I'm even sorrier for the pain you must have felt when I ignored your gifts. You're a very good man. You were a wonderful husband. My only hope is that you find someone to make you even a fraction as happy as I should have been with you. God bless you. Love Dee

********************

The last of the autumn leaves had fallen, the trees stark and bare. A brief flurry of snow had begun, but had not amounted to much, it just left everything feeling chilled and dank. Arch was back in his office, despite it being a Saturday afternoon. It had been two months since his return from Europe. Events had curtailed his "vacation" a bit. He was comfortable resuming his duties, but his mind often seemed elsewhere.

For a man as resolute as Arch, it was completely frustrating for him not to be able to come to a decision. Actually, he had come to a decision quite awhile ago, now he needed the courage to follow through. He suddenly turned from the window, sat at his desk and picked up the phone.

Forty minutes later Arch was standing by an apartment door. He knocked softly and the door was almost immediately opened. Denise was standing there, pale and a bit frightened and unsure. She was wearing a simple blouse and a knee length skirt. She had on very little make-up, just a bit of pale lipstick. Her hair looked freshly brushed.

"Arch........Arch....please....come in," she stammered.

Arch seemed frozen for a moment. This was the first time he had seen his ex-wife in over three years. She appeared thinner, she had obviously lost weight, yet despite that, despite the uncertainty evident, he sensed a aura of calmness, of serenity, about her.

Arch entered the small apartment, noticing how everything was clean and neat and well organized. It had a homey, lived in ambience though - a few books were scattered about and a throw was tossed over the arm of the sofa. The place looked very comfortable.

"Hello, Denise. You're looking well........ah, thank you for seeing me on such short notice. I appreciate that."

Denise appeared a bit flustered, his call and his presence was throwing her for a loop. This was something that she had never anticipated. "That's okay, Arch....... I........ it's just that I never expected this. Oh, please..... sit down. Here, Arch. This chair is very comfortable. Can I get you a drink? I don't have beer, but I do have some fresh iced tea, would that be ok?"

Denise felt herself becoming even more flustered and chided herself and forced herself to calm down. "Sorry about babbling, Arch. It's just that this is so unexpected. To be truthful, I never expected to see you again," she said softly, her eyes wide, the uncertainty evident.

Arch remained standing, shifting his weight from leg to leg. He knew that this would be awkward, he just didn't realize that it would be this difficult.

"Uhh, Denise, I'm sorry..... I know this is sudden......uh, quite a surprise in fact. Look, if this is too uncomfortable for you, I will certainly understand. It was thoughtless of me to spring myself on you like this,...... without any warning. I can come back at a more..... opportune time," Arch tried to control himself as his voice broke.

"NO, NO, Oh, no, Arch. Please stay, please. Come, sit down. I'm not at all uncomfortable. It will be fine, it will. A drink, Arch? Can I get you a drink? I have some gin I think and I know that I have a couple of bottles of bitter lemon. I can make us a couple of drinks. Is that ok, Arch?"

Arch sat and nodded and smiled. That used to be their favorite drink. "That sounds fine, Dee. I think that would be just fine."

Denise quickly made the drinks, thanking the gods that she had the ice maker in the fridge fixed just the day before. She handed Arch his drink, picked up hers and sat on the couch. Arch lifted his glass to her and they sipped.

They both tried to speak at the same time not once, not twice, but three times. They both then remained quiet for a moment and then Arch grinned and tried to suppress his laughter. Denise saw his mirth and just let go, let herself laugh as she had not done in years. Arch joined her and they exhausted themselves after a few moments.

Arch finally said, "thank goodness for that, Dee. It was getting to be a bit uncomfortable there for awhile." He paused and looked at her. "You know, it's really good to see you - you are looking very well."

Denise wiped her eyes and smiled at him. "Thanks, Arch. I can say the same. I'm so happy that you're here - I never thought that would happen." Denise looked at him, a question in her eyes and continued. "There is really no reason why we can't be friends, Arch - is there? We can visit and be....... friends......?" Her voice faltered.

Arch shook his head. "I don't want that, Denise. I've been doing a lot of serious thinking these past few months and asking myself some questions that have been difficult for me to answer. But, while it did take me some time, I finally came to some conclusions." Arch then rose and sat next to Denise on the sofa.

Taking her hand in his he continued. "Dee, I don't want to be just friends. I do want to be your friend, but also your lover, your confidant, your husband again. I deserted you once, Dee. I promise, I'll never let that happen again. Will you take me back?"

Denise sat, frozen, her mouth agape. Was this some cruel joke? Was this a dream? It took her a few seconds to recognize the reality of the moment. She looked up at Arch, the disbelief in her eyes slowly changing to utter joy. "Oh, Arch........" and she choked and couldn't speak. She felt the tears start, gently flowing down her cheeks. She threw herself into his arms and clutched him to her.

"Oh, Arch. Hold me, just hold me and never, never let me go. I have so much to make up for, for all of the stupidity, for all of the pain I have caused you, for all............"

"Shush, shush, Dee. No recriminations, no regrets. Let this be a new start for both of us, a new beginning, a brand new life," Arch said gently as he held her closely to him.

The threat of flurries had materialized and was now a thick but gentle snowfall, blanketing the ground. It wasn't long before everything was covered in a mantle of pristine white, camouflaging the detritus of fall. A fading season had ended and a new one begun; a season of rest, of recovery and discovery.

THE END