It Was an English Lady Bright.

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm not sure I can promise that." Richard shook his head.

"Promise me that and I'll promise you this. If I live, I'll take the cross and go with you to fight in the Holy Land. There's nothing for me here."

"But your lands."

"I've given them to Baron John." Duncan snapped. "The warrants are already drawn up, you'll find them with his seneschal. Promise me, promise that you'll make me a Templar after the joust."

"That I can promise." Richard nodded.

Duncan kneeled in front of Janet's body and crossed himself. He stayed there, motionless in prayer for a long time before he could bring himself to end the prayer and try to rise. As he braced himself to stand, he felt the Templar's hand on his shoulder.

"Duncan, let me hear your confession."

==========

Nearly at noontime, the early morning mists were finally lifting when the Baron's marshal led the observers and spectators out to the jousting field. This was no pleasant tournament with only a few coins wagered on the outcome. This was a fight to the death. There was no tilt to keep the horses from colliding, no bright banners, no pageantry or pomp, no blunt points. Only the two warriors with cruelly sharp war lances. Sir Richard, in full armor and his white tabard with its red Templar Cross, left Duncan's side and walked to the center of the field to pronounce the benediction, loudly praying that God would give victory only to the true of heart and defeat to the guilty party.

The Knights mounted their horses and at a signal from the Baron, the deadly contest began. Both Knights urged their mounts forward. Sir Duncan aimed his lance point at Sir James' helm, but James hunkered down behind his shield and was only grazed by the weapon. He had escaped the first pass with only a bright scratch along the dark iron surface of the armor. Duncan had caught James' lance on the surface of his shield and turned it aside so that his shield's leather surface was deeply gouged by the steel point and the outer corner was damaged. The wooden core had cracked under the force of the impact and the corner was visibly flapping about, only held on by the leather cover.

The two knights turned their mounts and made another pass. James' lance was deflected as before, but the tip caught in the loose, broken edge of Duncan's shield and snapped in two. Duncan's lance suffered a shattering blow against James' shield yet James managed to maintain his seat and keep hold of the stump of his lance. Attendants rushed in to replace the broken weapons and offered a replacement shield to Duncan. He refused to change shields, keeping his cornerless one in hand.

When the Baron saw both knights re-armed and at the ready, he signaled for them to begin the third pass. Duncan gripped his lance harder than he had ever done before as he spurred his mount forward. James aimed his lance for Duncan's helm while Duncan held his steady at the center of James' chest. Remembering the skittish behavior of James' horse in their previous bouts, Duncan shouted a loud cry just before the instant of contact. The unexpected noise startled the English Knight's mount, causing a slight misstep. It was enough to throw off the aim of James' lance. Its forged point wavered slightly away from MacBeadh's head and merely tapped against the side of his helm. Duncan kept his aim true and impacted James' shield along the inner edge. The sharp steel caught in the leather covering, tearing it asunder as it split the wooden core beneath. Duncan held his lance absolutely straight so the lance shaft held together for a few precious moments without shattering, sending it past the broken shield into the armor rings of the Englishman's mail coat. Tiny golden sparks leapt from the point as it stretched the iron rings to their breaking point, snapping them and creating a hole just large enough to admit the deadly weapon. James had no time to even gasp in defeat as his heart was pierced through by the Scot's lance.

The hardwood shaft was snapped in two by the force of James' falling body. Duncan reined in his horse and wheeled around just in time to see James collapsing to the ground, half of the lance still lodged deeply in his chest. James lay there in a twisted heap without moving. A few of his friends rushed over and finding him dead, started advancing on the Scottish Knight with drawn swords.

"Hold!" A loud cry from the Templar stopped them. "Sir Duncan is under my protection. He has proved his innocence." He stepped between the Englishmen and the Scot with his own sword drawn and accompanied by two of the Baron's men-at-arms with their crossbows at the ready. Without turning his head he shouted at MacBeadh. "Duncan, Get to the chapel for sanctuary. I'll be there soon."

At the Baron's hasty order, his son Sir William and a handful of castle guards surrounded James' friends.

Sir William pointed at the angry cluster of Knights. "Put up your swords and help me carry my brother to the great hall. We need to prepare for a double funeral."

Seeing the situation under control, the Templar sheathed his sword, quickly made his way into the courtyard and across to the chapel. Duncan's horse was outside the chapel door and he found the Scot kneeling in front of Janet's shrouded bier next to a confused guard. He gave Duncan a moment more before interrupting, setting his hand on MacBeadh's shoulder.

"Sir Duncan, are you serious about taking Templar orders?"

Duncan looked up in surprise, then nodded.

"Then swear on your sword." Richard quickly administered the novice oath, then handed Duncan a white surcoat with the red Templar's Cross sewn on front and back. "Put this on and come with me. We have to leave now, they need the chapel for a double funeral mass and you're not safe here."

"But Janet. Her burial isn't until."

"We have to leave now! There's no time to wait." Richard bodily dragged Duncan out of the chapel to his horse. "I'll take you to the Templar commandery where you can finish your vows. You'll have a chance to send letters."

"Just send a note telling Baron John where I've gone." Duncan shook his head.

============

Four years later.

The Templar Knight rode slowly up to the gate of Carlsie Castle and asked the guard if he could see Baron John on a matter of importance. The guard recognized Sir Richard, but glanced dubiously over the dusty Knight, spattered with road grime and leading a packhorse and cart burdened with a single oaken barrel. Noting the serious expression on Richard's haggard face, he called for one of his companions to carry the news to the Baron. He then waved the Templar into the courtyard.

Baron John stepped out through the door of the great hall, surprised to see the Templar Knight here after so long.

"Sir Richard, you've returned. Is Sir Duncan with you? What news do you bring from the Holy Land?" The Baron looked confused at seeing the Templar Knight alone. "I'll send for William, he'd like to talk with you."

The Templar shook his head and dismounted without answering, his face grave. He bowed in greeting and spoke in a low voice. "Sir Duncan is here, I've brought him to be with Janet."

"What?" The Baron exclaimed. "I. I don't understand, where is he?"

"There were too many of them, Saracen marauders. They outnumbered us nearly ten to one, but Sir Duncan couldn't be stopped. He killed as many as he could and drove off the rest before. before." Richard had to stop for a moment, choking back tears.

"Duncan is dead?" Baron John leaned back in surprise and sagged against the doorway of the hall for support.

"His wounds were too deep and he'd lost too much blood. All the pilgrims would have been slain but for him." Richard placed his hands on the barrel, his head bowed. "We preserved his body in this cask of brine for the journey home. His last wish was to be laid beside Lady Janet."

Here is the poem that inspired this story:

It Was an English Ladye Bright
By Sir Walter Scott.

It was an English Ladye bright,
The sun shines fair on Carlisle wall,
And she would marry a Scottish knight,
For Love will still be lord of all.

Blithely they saw the rising sun
When he shone fair on Carlisle wall;
But they were sad ere day was done,
Though Love was still the lord of all.

Her sire gave brooch and jewel fine,
Where the sun shines fair on Carlisle wall;
Her brother gave but a flask of wine,
For ire that Love was lord of all.

For she had lands both meadow and lea,
Where the sun shines fair on Carlisle wall,
And he swore her death, ere he would see
A Scottish knight the lord of all.

That wine she had not tasted well
The sun shines fair on Carlisle wall,
When dead, in her true love's arms, she fell,
For Love was still the lord of all.

He pierced her brother to the heart,
Where the sun shines fair on Carlisle wall:--
So perish all would true love part
That Love may still be lord of all!

And then he took the cross divine,
Where the sun shines fair on Carlisle wall,
And died for her sake in Palestine;
So Love was still the lord of all.

Now all ye lovers, that faithful prove,
The sun shines fair on Carlisle wall,
Pray for their souls who died for love,
For Love shall still be lord of all!