Justice For Dawn Ch. 04

Story Info
Justice becomes bittersweet.
1.1k words
3.43
9.3k
2
Story does not have any tags

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 11/02/2022
Created 04/03/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 4

Justice Becomes Bitter Sweet

Dawn read a brief statement to the press thanking the hospital staff, especially Nurse Cassie Watkins, her many friends and the college administration for their support. She also thanked the law enforcement officials with special gratitude to Richard Scott and Gloria Stafford.

"But most of all I want to thank my life long partner Gwen for her love and unwavering support when it mattered most," Dawn fervently spoke, "I would not have made it without you Gwen. I love you."

The NBC reporter had the first question. "Some in the media and congress call this a hate crime. What are your views?"

"You will get no argument from me." Dawn responded, "Let me put that another way. It was most definably a hate crime. They attacked me because I am black and because I am a lesbian."

From the local paper correspondent: "If you could sentence the defendants what would you choose?"

"I'll leave it to the judge," Dawn said. "But I would love to see them spend the rest of their sorry lives in prison with no parole."

Richard asked Dawn for the microphone. "The defendants are all dead. They hung themselves in their cells." Richard announced. "I will have full details in a press release as soon as possible. This press conference is over."

Matt provided a stretch limo. Dawn and her houseguests piled in. Dawn gave her address to the driver.

Dawn's Angels followed in separate limos.

All were silent collecting the thoughts and trying to digest the surprising events lf the day. . Dawn sat with Gwen holding each other's hands. Michelle rested her head on Nicole's shoulder. Marilyn and Maria leaned their heads together. Marilyn slowly ran her hands thru Maria's hair. Matt and Brad sat silently in back. All eight were stunned. Their emotional dismay would become a lot worse.

"Dawn mentioned to no one in particular. "We forgot Cassie."

"I have not seen her today," Marilyn recounted. "She is always off on Saturday. She probably just stayed home to be with Jackie."

"I don't know," Dawn, questioned. "It's not like her to stay away from me on such an important day. We had better go by their place. It is not to far from here. Driver, make a left at the next light. It's the third house on your left."

They were shocked to see an ambulance in the driveway. "Oh my God. Oh my God," Dawn cried out.

Jackie met Dawn as everyone piled out. Everyone gathered around Dawn and Gwen.

"It's Cassie. She swallowed a bottle full of sleeping pills," Jackie sobbed. "All this mess with the skin heads was too hard on her. She still blames herself for starting the whole mess."

"Oh God, I thought she was over It." cried Marylyn. "Will she be OK?"

"I am so sorry. Every attempt to save her failed. She is gone." Jackie sobbed.

"No! No! No!" Dawn screamed and collapsed into Gwen's arms.

"This cannot be happening!" Michelle cried. Nicole did her best to comfort her sister."

The entire group completely broke down when the saw her covered body being loaded into the ambulance. Some hugged. Some fell to their knees. Others just leaned into anyone they cold find. Everyone was crying over the terrible loss.

"She left us a note," Jackie said. I'll read it"

"Dear friends:

"As most of your know I cannot help felling responsible for the brutal assault on Dawn There is no denying that I used poor judgment in arranging dates for Michelle an Nicole with such evil people. When there attackers were jailed I was happy for them and even felt better for myself.

I was sad when forced to leave LA, but happy to find a great new life with Jackie. .Until I read the names of the three defendants charged with the assault on Dawn I never imagined they were responsible. The guilt I felt became worse then ever. The thought that my actions led to the terrible attack on a woman I love became unbearable. Jackie, my dear love. It is not fair for me to share this burden with you and longer. Your deserve a better life. I, in turn do not deserve to live.

Take heart my friends. Remember the good times. Please forgive me if my passing causes you pain.

"Love you all, Cassie."

"I should have done more to help her." Dawn cried.

"We all recognized her pain. We all tried to help." Gwen told her lover.

"I believe now that nothing was going to relieve her guilt." Jackie said." I will call her parents. They live and San Diego. They are really nice and accepted me without reservation," Jackie explained. "How do I tell them their only child committed suicide?"

"Don't," Matt suggested. "Just say it appears to be an accident. They will learn the facts soon enough from the coroner's report."

Three days later, Cassie was laid to rest at the family plot at one of San Diego's nicest cemeteries. Cars lined up for miles. At least a thousand visitors from as far as Los Angels came to pay their respects.

Her father choked out a few words. "While we are deeply saddened by the loss of Cassandra we are heartened by the outpouring of love from her friends. She lived her life on her own terms earning the respect so many strive for but never achieve. You all know her as a loving caring soul. All she ever wanted was to help people. I just wish she cold have helped herself."

Long after the mourners left, Jackie sat alone. Time stood still. Only the wind blown rustle of trees broke the silence. The light of a million stars cast an eerie glow and framed the distant Camel Mountain. When she had no more tears to shed Jackie spoke. "If you can hear me from heaven Cassie, know that the short time we shared meant the world to me. I could not have asked for a more loving and caring friend. The love we shared was secondary to our deep friendship. You will always be a part of me. One day we will meet I heaven and our souls will spend an eternity together."

THE END

Author's note: This ends the saga of the many lives brought together on "LONG LIVE THE KINKY, "TRANSSEXUAL SISTERS" and "MATT AND BRAD GAY LOVERS."

If you desire more stories about any of the characters please let me know. In the meantime, I am preparing an outline for a story of a women's basketball team and the media women who cover them.