All Comments on 'Lemon to Lemonade Ch. 01'

by Mandy01

Sort by:
  • 55 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Keep Going

Good, though a bit repetitive, as you could have edited down some of Bev's advice. Do watch your reliance on spell check. For example, "council" should have been "counsel."

dave_magicdave_magicover 13 years ago
Finally, someone gets it!

They say one should learn all through their LIFTIME. There is another old saying, "if you do not learn from history, you will repeat it."

Finally an author has the courage to state what we have been and where we are and what we will BE.

Love the continuation of a story of a story that ended like most of these stories do. Thank you for sharing your insight and wisdom on a common problem with today's society.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Too bad you are not into men

I checked your profile, understand things about men so much, the man, you would have chosen, will be the luckiest bastard.

Keep going.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Deep thoughts and common sense: wonderful.

I very much appreciate how you build tension, and weave in the history and psychology of gender based roles and values. Keep it going.

Harryin VAHarryin VAover 13 years ago
really well stated

bravo

LakesLakesover 13 years ago
Nicely written and thoughtful

Some repitition in her learning process, but not too bad.

hawkeye0007hawkeye0007over 13 years ago
Well Done!

I wish my ex wife had learned the lessons that the old lady was trying to teach. The disaster that she made my life never would have happened.

She was just like the selfish manipulating bitch in this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
above and beyond

excellent history lesson, very well written far better thought out than other writers. at my advanced age i look back and see why many of the last five generations did what they did

PostScriptorPostScriptorover 13 years ago
A serious and thoughtful start

The conflict at the beginning of the story was kind of tough to get through — would her parents really force her to wear old, used underwear? lol. But your discussion of the changing balance between men and women in our society, using your characters voices, was impressive. Especially given your personal preferences (laughing again), your ability to stand back and think about the issues objectively is noteworthy.

And best of all — you are keeping your strong Aussie voice — a joy to read. I can hear Australian women talking to each other in my head as I hear your words...

cal6009cal6009over 13 years ago
Others have said it all!!

So, let me just say thank you for posting such a thoughtful and very insightful piece. The THAT DAMN DOG posting was very enjoyable, as I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. You have a wicked and witted sense of humor. PLEASE GIVE ME MORE.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
wow

what a short, analytic and precise summary of what happened during the last 100 - 150 years. to bad most people can't see it. to bad another saying is true: the only thing history learned men is that men don't learn from history.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Excellent

Mandy,

I have always enjoyed your stories and especially how you ended some of Bob's. It has always amazed me that you, a female and a "lip stick" lesbian, seem to have a very good insight into men. Your stories reflect female and male points of view better than most writers on this site.

This addendum to your original story reflects this in a very clear way. I always read your stories to see what you will say and how you will say it. Which you might find interesting as I am a male in my late 60's. Your summary of the evolution of women's "rights" is amazingly on in my view.

I look forward to the rest of this story and to many more of your stories.

bigchefwaynebigchefwayneover 13 years ago
A Homerun

This story reminds me very much of Adam Corolla's book, "In Fifty Years We'll All Be Chicks". Men have abandoned control of their lives through political correctness that we now speak enviously of a 'man cave' rather than asserting that a man's home is HIS castle.

extemporeextemporeover 13 years ago
Both interesting and thought provoking

Once in a while I read something that is so thoughful and well written

that I wish I had written it myself. This certainly fits that bill!

Thank you

katibkatibover 13 years ago
More than Excellent...

I'm saving this one in an active file under "Women--20th century."

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Where did all THAT come from?

We were rolling along nicely with a "Torch the Bitch Cheating Wife" story, suddenly turned into a "Hundred Years from The Woman's Point of View".

Very illuminating and giving pause for real thought. Which is as well, because the "torch" story had not much else to say.

I like it that Mandy is Australian, so why aren't her words like mine? viz : Distain (no such word)/Disdain ~ Meter (for a distance) / Metre ~ 'Suppose to mean ' v 'Supposed to mean' ~ Spritely / Sprightly ~ Parent's / Parents' ~ Whippersnapper (one word) ~ Council /Counselling ~ nutshell (one word) - Cottonballed? 'one-oh-one' could be better as 101 ~ Mrs Bev Pascoe became Pasco.

But I was impressed by the many many Australian Spellings :- Mum, Centred, and many many turns of phrase that warm the cockles of my heart.

Thank You Mandy, for this excellent tale, and may your nib never blunten.

Kilroy.

RHinSCRHinSCover 13 years ago
Insightful

I have always listened when older people talk about the changes in their lifetimes. You can learn much from them. I stated in a comment a couple of months ago that the last push of the womens movement changed the relationship between men and women forever. I said some of the things you have here. I was called a dumb and backwards redneck. The divorce rate in the U.S. reflects that. Marriage is a cornerstone of modern society, we continue to chip away at that cornerstone, which weakens the foundation. In my lifetime I have seen the decline of morals in the media. I now have to protect my preteen daughters from shows that tell them it is alright to be sixteen and pregnant. I remember when MTV was new, it was about music. It will take some sort of large event to change our path. At this rate, marriage won't mean anything at all in another fifty years. I am glad to see the woman in this story come to an understanding of the way things really are, many will never get it. Mandy, I think you have done very well in covering the who's and whys here. I enjoyed reading it. I liked the reference to the free candy, that applies to many people and things now. I am not overtly moralistic, this comes from a long hair that doesn't always do the right thing according to some. Thank you.

victoriangentvictoriangentover 13 years ago
You my dear

Amanda never cease to amaze me.

bs

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
KUDOS

YOUR DISCOURSE/DIATRIBES ARE GREAT. YOU ALSO INTRODUCE SLOGANS AND CATCH PHRASES WITH AUTHORITY TO ADD LEGITIMACY TO AND WITH YOUR CHARACTERS. CONTINUE AND GROW, WITH EACH STORY. MLJ LV NV

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 13 years ago
Huh?????

Please your poor pea picking heart......

ChagrinedChagrinedover 13 years ago
As one of the aforementioned old farts....

who can remember but dimly what life was like back in the days of the Neanderthal, I have to agree with nearly everything young Mandy01 has said. What really chaps my ass is this:

That it was so well written by a woman between 18-22. I have clothes I still wear older that that! A lot of wisdom here!

As someone pointed out, Mandy01 is a lipstick lesbian...from Queensland, for the love of Mike. I have nothing against lesbians personally other than they get more women than I do, of course, (LOL) but how is it she can understand the failing of us supposedly "normal" people so well. And having been down under once, I didn't even remember they had people in Queensland, much less wisdom on tap!

Why is it she can write such damn good stories!!

Anyway, my petty diatribe now over, Mandy01, I really like what you have done so far. I will be very interested to see what happens next.

With sincere respect and regards

C

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 13 years ago
Best installment of "dog" yet

I really liked bringing Bev's character into the story. Also liked the ending, "...there was only one person who can turn this around." Aye. Also, the writing style is a little more direct with this installment - easier to read and flowing better. I say five stars.

Mandy01Mandy01over 13 years agoAuthor
Thank you for all the comments; I can’t express enough just how I feel.

Many have asked as has Chagrined, how a person like me can write something that on the face of it, I appear to have no real qualifications for.

The only answer I have for you is an open mind and good friends. The sediments expressed in my stories are a collage of minds and points of view. All I have done is brought them into some sort of order in line with how I personally see the world. I have many to thank for helping me with this endeavour.

First are my parents who have been the rock I anchor myself to, I love them both. Second is a wonderful, insightful gentleman by the name of Otto, who has given me a way of looking at the ever changing world into the male mind.

I thank Britease for being the first to encouraging me with my writing, even when I felt as though I was over my head; you have been an enthusiastic supporter and my mate!

JPB, if it weren’t him being so kind and allowing me to finish some of his stories, I doubt I’d have had enough nerve to tackle what has become a sort of love affair with my readers.

Yes Harry, even you need special thanks. Although I don’t agree with much of your thoughts, you do bring a controversial aspect that makes people sit up and think. You get people thinking along lines they may never have considered in the past.

Along with them are dozens of others who have emailed me privately to thank me for adding to their reading pleasure.

Victoriangent has inspired me and given me the courage to go further than I had originally intended.

Winterfoxx is responsible for my latest adventure into the literary world. His insight has been enlightening to say the least. He asked if once I became a successful author, would I remember him...lol. As if I could ever forget... I doubt that I will be going professional; I enjoy writing far too much to want the stress of wondering if my next meal is going through some paper shredder. Winterfoxx, I could never forget someone as wonderful as you my friend.

I’d also like to thank those who thoughtfully expressed their concern at our latest weather and flooding problems. I, thankfully wasn’t affected by the flooding as were so many others of my countrymen. I would like to take this time to thank each and all of you who emailed me with your best wishes. I had a fuzzy good feeling every time I opened an email. Nothing like having friends to make your day.

Again thank you one and all.

Amanda

shaman43shaman43over 13 years ago
Lots here

Wow you certainly have a lot of thoughts about society, gender roles, relationship theory and personality psychology. It was well done even if the last page became a little preachy and slow moving. I am assuming it was a set up for what is to follow. I thought your ideas were well stated. They have lots of historical truth to them. I think all readers could benefit from the concepts talked about. Enough truth for all perceptions of reality to gain from the reading of them. Really interested in where you will take the plot next. Just a little bother at some of the sentence structure and punctuation. Also jarring when reading along so joyfully and see roll for role and chaise for chaste. No biggy. Looking for the next installment with great anticipation.

OldHidekiOldHidekiover 13 years ago
Wow...I want to spend some time with Bev!

I have noticed some great older women creaping into stories, Bev is turning out to be one of them. Slirpuff had a great woman the "Esther" series, and Longhorn had a wonderful granny in Lidia in the story "Requital". Please keep writing, and include Bev more in this story. I realize this is about Kelly coming to terms with herself, but I think Bev is now the doorway.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Damn, You're good

Done said it all. Thanks for Bev.

xtremeddxtremeddover 13 years ago
I'm speechless. Take a hug, from our heart. You speak the wisdom of the ages... there is no such thing as a free lunch.

M01,

Society teaches a cruel lesson to those who have no rules, no foundation in life. A Loving family, gives us the rules and "builds" our foundation.

Thanks for the insight and sharing on Lit. Mandy.

x

grogers7grogers7over 13 years ago
Very good, very well written

There is much to be learned about traditional gender roles from the study of social history. You might be interested in in a study of the biological predicates for social rules and practical behaviors. A starting point is to understand that the diploid primate is not a survivable biological organism. The first theoretically survivable organism is the quadruploid (i.e. a male/female couple), and that is not practically true. It does take a village where successful social rules and behaviors are predicated by environmental and zoological reality. There is more than one survivable pattern of social rules, and therefore, some societies are more successful than others.

BriteaseBriteaseover 13 years ago
Hi Mandy

Found this a bit late, and during the first half found myself glad you're a friend and not an enemy. Second half ---- fantastic!

You put into words what I have been feeling (and talking about) for a number of years. I'm old enough to remember the more chivalrous days, and still lively enough to know what it's like now. Many men of my age find themselves confused. Ok I can (just about) keep up with the pace of change in technology (being a professional engineer helps), but the change in relationships and in particular the way society and the law deals with it is sometimes hard to accept. What used to be looked up to and admired such a short time ago is now unacceptable, and what was unacceptable and even illegal is now rejoiced in. Perhaps it is the right way to go, but the pace of it is incredible. It does leave me wondering just where we are going to be in a generation's time. Further on? Or will we pull back? I don't agree with them at all, but I am beginning to have a glimmer of insight into the thought process of some of the muslim extremists and I never thought I'd say that.

Oh well, lovely story Mandy. Did your pal catch any sharks in the high street by the way?

roscovichroscovichalmost 13 years ago
This is very much a third rate "story" !

Apart from many grammatical and spelling errors, it virtually have no structure at all ! It starts in the middle of events, fallowed by disconnected and sometimes unrelated paragraphs. This writer have very much to learn about writing.

I awarded it what it is worth, 1 star.

peanut_buddhapeanut_buddhaalmost 13 years ago

The only problem I have with this story is incorrect words used once in a while but this is obviously a case of your spellchecker showing the wrong word spelled correctly in the wrong situation.The use of "chaise" where "chaste" was the correct choice is an example, but apart from that I found the story compelling and your study of human motives and character to be very insightful.

Now I'm off to read the next chapter.

Tuzolto54Tuzolto54over 12 years ago
A great history lesson

Mandy,

Again great insite, I have not seen the difference between the sexs' put into a better point of view. You do have a clear understanding of those. I am enjoying this, and am hopeful Kelly learns something, as we all should.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Wise writing

This is a story we all could read and re-read periodically as a reminder of the human condition and how we can improve the collective consciousness.

TavadelphinTavadelphinabout 11 years ago
Now that was insightful -

Pretty sharp lady - well written and the ideas seems right on target -

As a baby boomer I also see the dichotomy and contradictions you note - I also see the pressures all of us place on ourselves to live up to the standards we were brought up to believe in - it is a lot of work and then throw in trust,absence and the fact that there is always someone out there looking for opportunities to \be selfish - and yep you got a good story heh.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Womens Lib???

Maybe there's a lot to be said for Sharia Law. ( Git back in the kitchen woman, and take yer shoes off!)

lance_spearmanlance_spearmanover 10 years ago
Reminds me of the chapter

This is John Galt Speaking in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. (This is meant as a compliment, even though I do NOT subscribe to Ayn Rand's philosophy!!)

ifeanyiifeanyiabout 10 years ago
Excellent

I like this story !

This story deserves a galaxy of Stars.

Thank you, Mandy01

southwestcavsouthwestcavover 9 years ago
Written with the wisdom of someone much older

Superbly expressed wisdom that makes it plausible for Kelly to really change. Well done both as commentary and as the middle of a story. I will be referring friends to this one for a better understanding of society.

I wish you would resume writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
1* !

Mindless and incompetent drivel !

DrSemblanceDrSemblanceover 7 years ago

Every time I read about someone trying to reference Ayn Rand, I have to laugh.

Not many who say they do NOT (emphatically stated) agree with her, it turns out they really have no idea what they don't agree with.

Without thinking for themself, they just go by what they have been TOLD she believes.

And that is usually by some Marxist professor in University.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Regrets

I really don´r appreciate reading something I don´t understand. So far what I see is your husband divorced you for cheating. Yet he walked out of the courthouse with two women that I don´t think he met at the courthouse steps. So apparently he was doing the same thing you did. Only thing is you got caught and fell into his trap. He had people on his side that you didn´t. And signing a pre nup? Why would any woman do that. He apparently had this all planned out berfore you married him. He marries one of the women and has the other living with them? And your parents agree with this? And support him? That is some sick family you have. My late wife cheated on me several times but I was man enough to forgive and try to learn and move from there I didn´t leave her at the first time of trouble. So I don´t undestand your parents , the courts or your neighbor in laying all the fault on your marriage failing when both were doing the same thing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
1*

illiterate dumb shit.

ejsathomeejsathomeover 7 years ago
Bev is . . .

. . . a very wise old woman. I can't say the same about some of the ignorant comments by some of those anonymous idiots, particularly from one who came before me. It is obvious that he/she did not read any of the previous submissions by Mandy entitled, "That Damn Dog." I suggest that they go back and read. In any case, I did appreciate the wise lessons communicated to Kelly by Bev, and it seems as if Kelly is taking them to heart. Too little, too late, but you live and learn.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Convincing

Bev's theorising is as close as damn it a description of modern societal problems as I heard anywhere, and as arguments go, a lot better constructed too.

agamemnon2262agamemnon2262over 5 years ago
The Future

Your explanation of gender roles and Thierry responsibility to society was insightful. I truly believe that the continuing disparity with the reversal of gender equlaity and the deteriorating state of racial anger, society won't last another 50 years. No problem for me, but future generations are going to suffer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Nice to see a story where the mother-in-law isn't evil

5 stars just for that.

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Didn't care

Didn't care to hear anymore about Kelly, but you've written an interesting chapter with.New characters. I'll read more.

Rhinoman1951Rhinoman1951about 5 years ago
couldn't read it

After the first three installments, I tried skimming this. I got as far as the dinner scene. ... Pass is a verb. One would walk past something. In the next paragraph, there is another example of the difficulty with the pluperfect tense. Basically, if you use a compound verb (starting with a form of "to be ,") the form of the second half of the verb phrase changes. The sentence would be " I would have gotten up...." Thank you for your efforts. I won't rate this as I don't think it fair to rate that which is not read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
A thoughtful piece

Made me think a lot.

carindenniscarindennisalmost 4 years ago

COULDN'T EVEN GET PAST THE FIRST PAGE. This shrew believes the world revolves FOR her.

The best place for this broad is a convent or sold into white slavery.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

I love the mother. Reminds me of being young in the early 1960s being raised by only my mother. What is written here, I feel, is wise words and the world has lost so much in the 40 odd years.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Bev is a gem. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

"So my dear, the women of today are playing with firearms they know little about. The girls of today don't understand just how much power they wield. They have gained power at the expense of men while retaining all the power women have always had over men."

Mandy, you hit the nail on the head. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Good summary of the societal dynamics of the last 100+ years, but you left out the foundation:

Religion! When the post-modern intellectual class decided that “God is dead”, they removed all restrictions on behavior, except for the law. It used to be that there were both crimes, and sins. One enforced by the courts, and the other enforced by the culture.

Now, over half of Americans, and most people in the “Western Nations”, believe that it’s perfectly fine to lie, cheat, and steal, so long as they are “punching up.” They don’t believe in any objective truth or morality.

This isn’t sustainable. Either civilization will return to the foundations that govern behavior, or civilization will collapse!

ZK

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous