Leo and the Dragon Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The elven woman growled in the back of her throat. Leo knew her well enough to stifle any further questions. To his surprise, Shilana went on.

"Leo, they raped me. They herded everyone from our village into the Speakers' Hall and raped me in front of the whole damn village. Then they had me choose who to sacrifice to their blasted Chaos Queen. They could have killed me or dragged me into slavery like the others but they chose not to. Instead they left me in the ruins of my home. How would you feel?" she whispered, fresh tears welling up in her eyes.

"I-" Leo began but stopped. There were no words appropriate to the enormity of her tragedy, no amount of sympathy could undo what she had suffered through. He shook his head, apologetically, before placing the wash bowl onto its pedestal. He wrapped Shilana into a tender hug.

"I wish I could do more," he mumbled into her hair.

"Believe me, that's a good start," she sighed.

***

They reached the Land Gate as it was opened, six Guardsmen pulling at each massive door leaf. Outside, a long line of early arrivals waited, itching to get into Storm Harbour. Shilana had the traffic stay for a few minutes more as she traced a large semicircle in front of the gate, pouring glittering dust into the frosty grass and dirt.

"What's she doin'?" a passing Guard asked Leo, who was watching from inside the gateway.

"She's laying down wards to help us discover concealed dangers. This spell will alert us to any disguised troublemakers," Leo explained.

"Won't the carts and people destroy the dust line?" the soldier wondered, wrinkling his brow in his open-faced helmet.

"Just watch," Leo suggested, pointing to Shilana who was standing inside the semicircle, chanting. A moment later, the dust line exploded in a blazing streak of iridescent light and vanished. Shilana strode over to them, brushing her hands off on the sides of her flapping robe.

"That should do it for today," she sighed, wiping sweat off her brow. The Guardsman waved for the anxiously onlooking farmers to proceed. No one moved.

"Go on, it won't harm you!" Shilana yelled. Under her breath, she muttered, "Fucking superstitious peasants!"

"They don't know any better," Leo mildly admonished her. Then he strode towards the first cart and hailed the nervously fidgeting farmer.

"Come, good sir. You can enter our fair city now," he said, smiling cheerfully.

"Uhh, oi don't know, sah," the farmer muttered, wringing his wool cap in his calloused hands. "Last time oi was here, they wasn't doin' this. Ya think 'tis safe?"

"Absolutely. Here, watch," Leo said, stepping through the space where the shimmering line had been.

"Oh, for Mercy's sake, husband, get a fucken' move on," a female voice from behind the driver's perch snapped. Wrapped in a thick layer of hides and scarves, a hawk-nosed woman leered at Leo. As if whipped himself, the farmer tapped the behind of his oxen with his switch and the animals trotted on, mooing in confusion as the magic washed over them. Nothing obvious happened. The farmer looked around as he passed the ward, shivering as if someone had poured ice water down his back.

"See, that wasn't too bad, was it," Leo asked, walking alongside the cart.

"Well, oi could do without," the farmer said, again shivering.

"We need to make sure that no hidden invaders might sneak by so that Storm Harbour can be your haven if the orcs or dark elves or anyone else decides to attack this land," Leo said. The farmer nodded thankfully and slapped his reins. The oxen picked up speed and Leo stopped inside the gate.

"I wonder where you find this patience," Shilana snorted, pulling her robe tighter around herself.

"It comes with the territory," Leo smiled and opened the door to the gatehouse. "Lord Justice wants us to treat everybody fairly, no matter if they are Storm Lords or beggars. Everybody deserves that."

"No, not everybody. Especially not those cursed dark elves," Shilana snarled, flopping down onto a chair near the fireplace.

"Everybody, without exception. As long as they are peaceful and willing to talk, I cannot strike the first blow," Leo emphasized.

"That will be your undoing one day, just you wait," Shilana grumbled darkly. Leo just shrugged and unhooked his weapon from his back, a long-hefted, two-handed war maul. He leaned against the massive stone desk dominating the room and began to clean the weapon, applying oils to the richly engraved, but well-worn, hammer head.

The hours trickled past. Shilana mostly dozed next to the fireplace while Leo spent much of his time looking out of the window, taking in the endless stream of merchants, farmers and mercenaries who were coming and going through the Land Gate. This late in the year, many wandering bands of adventurers or merchants settled down for the winter and Storm Harbour, with its mighty walls and coastal location, was an ideal hibernating place. Leo watched the Guardsmen bicker with a heavily armed band of warriors who were unwilling to surrender their weapons for inspection as Shilana brushed his hand.

"Hey, want something to eat? I'm sick of being cooped up in here, maybe a quick walk to the market-" She stopped, her eyes taking on a far-away look.

"What is it?" Leo asked, taking the hilt of his weapon.

"The ward just went off. I think it might get interesting after all," the mage hissed. A quick word later, a beautiful longstaff appeared in her hand. Most of it was crafted from a single straight Icewood trunk while the top was made from a glittering star sapphire, the deep blue gem flickering with arcane energies. She muttered a few more quick words and mystic energies surrounded her, enveloping Shilana in a protective force field.

Leo donned his helmet and fastened the chin strap, then he threw the door to the gatehouse open.

"Commander, keep a sharp eye out; the ward just went off," he called to the Guardsmen. Within moments, half a dozen soldiers surrounded two thickly cloaked and veiled riders, the latest in the slowly thinning stream of people seeking Storm Harbour's hospitality. Lacking any alternatives, they reined in their horses and spread their hands in the universal gesture of peace.

"What have you woven into the ward?" Leo asked under his breath as they walked, fully prepared and armed, towards the riders.

"Oh, you know, the usual. Demons, shapeshifters, necromancers and dark elves. Why?" Shilana asked back, a grim smile tugging at her lips.

Instead of answering her, Leo addressed the two riders, hefting his maul one-handedly in a show of force.

"Please dismount. We will not harm you unless you give us reason to do so."

Without hesitation, both riders slid from their horses. Two soldiers stepped in, covered by the long spears of their fellows, and took their reins, leading the animals to the side. Pressured by the steadily shrinking ring of men, the veiled riders had no choice but to move towards Leo and Shilana.

"Come with us," Leo ordered.

The shorter of the two shot nervous glances left and right, obviously itching to flee or to attack, but a steadying gaze by the taller one caused her to fall in. A few steps later, the smaller one hissed something at the larger one in a language Leo couldn't understand. Next to him, Shilana tensed up. But before Leo could ask if she understood, the taller one whispered back, in the Common tongue,

"Because he cannot lie."

With Shilana bringing up the rear and closing the door, the foursome entered the gatehouse. Leo strode towards the massive stone desk, removing his helmet as he went. The roaring fireplace framed his armoured frame most spectacularly and both visitors paused in mid-stride as he turned around, plonking the heavy hammer down between his feet. Slowly, as if taking in every wrinkle of their cloaks, every speck of dirt from their travels, his gaze swept down over the visitors.

"My colleague, Shilana," he began without preamble, indicating the elven woman leaning against the door. "I am Leo, Fist of Justice. You will state your business and we will judge if you may stay."

In response, the taller one of the pair slowly reached up and lowered her hood. A flood of snow white hair cascaded over her shoulders and she fixed Leo with a friendly little smile. Her skin was black as midnight, her ears ended in a sharp point, but her blue eyes held nothing but curiosity and warmth. Shilana inhaled sharply. Leo couldn't blame her, for right between them, at least one dark elf was standing, the very beings that caused Shilana so much suffering.

"Tear, Arach." the dark elf said, her long finger pointing at herself and her companion in turn. "And please rest assured that we don't mean any harm. We are followers of the Moon Maiden seeking shelter from the winter in your fair city. And if I may be so bold to ask, have you seen others of our kind pass this way?"

"What, more kinslayers from Down Below?" Shilana's eyes sparked as she joined Leo at the desk, her face not even trying to conceal her hatred. Leo laid a hand on her arm, causing her to snarl in anger. The smaller one had lowered her hood as well, revealing yet another dark elven female, this one was quite a bit younger than Tear, her inquisitive amber eyes darting this way and that.

"I sense only sincerity coming from you both so I invite you into our city. Our City Guard will shelter you from any harm that might follow you," Leo announced.

Shilana and the smaller dark elf, Arach, whispered, almost in unison: "You wish."

Shilana cocked her head and shot her a searching look. Arach grinned at her, cheekily, and shrugged.

"To answer your second question: Yes, we know of another band of the Moon Maiden's Faithful. They live in Oak House, in the northern quarters of the city," Leo went on. He turned to the large city map hanging over the fireplace and pointed out a certain point in the convoluted mess of streets, squares and buildings that made up most of the city.

"Are they prisoners or under house arrest?" Arach wondered, suspiciously.

"No, why?" Leo asked back, a little surprised.

"Because you seem to know an awful lot about them," she remarked.

Shilana was studying her feet just now, a look of slight embarrassment on her delicate features.

"Dark elves are an endangered species around here, friendly or not." Leo explained, much kinder now. "It is our duty to keep harm as far away from them as possible."

He laid his hand on Shilana's shoulder but the elven woman gruffly shook it off and stormed out of the room, muttering something about "checking up on the ramparts."

"She's from a raided village, I gather?" Tear asked, sympathy in her eyes, as the door slammed shut again in the wake of the furious mage.

"You have a sharp eye." Leo commented.

"Nah, I've seen her type way too often already. It's always the same, sadly." Tear sighed. Then her little smile came back. "Are we free to go then?" she asked.

"Sure. Don't do anything stupid and you shall be fine. I will order one of the men to guide you, if you want."

"That would be splendid!" Tear smiled thankfully as she went over to Leo and wrapped him in her arms, placing a friendly little peck on his cheek which caused him to blush furiously. But he made no move to disentangle himself from her. Emboldened, she repeated the kiss on his other cheek, causing an even more violent blush. Then she had mercy on the poor man and returned to Arach's side, picking up her bundle and, motioning her to follow, left the watch house. Leo shook his head in wonder. Women. A moment later, he put on his helmet and went outside, calling for a Guard to accompany the new arrivals to Oak House. Then he went looking for his fuming friend.

***

The winter months were cold and quiet. Leo, when not on Guard duty, honed his skills at the House of Justice or spent time talking and drinking, measuredly, with Shilana. The issue of letting the followers of the Moon Maiden seek shelter in Storm Harbour was slowly, inexorably, straining their friendship. They argued more often, like on this night shortly after New Year's Eve.

"Believe me, there are no 'good' dark elves. They are scum, lying, treacherous, brutal and obsessed. In their language, there is no word for 'love' but fourty-three alone for 'killing,'" Shilana hissed over her metal goblet. She needn't have bothered, the tavern was bursting with chatter and noise while, outside a ferocious winter storm was howling, the snow thumping in huge clumps against the wooden shutters.

"And I'm telling you, my magic didn't fail me. I sensed only peace and goodness from the one called Tear," Leo said, placing a placating hand on Shilana's. She snorted and withdrew hers, using it to guide her goblet to her mouth.

"Yeah, and what about that Arach girl? You didn't elaborate on her intentions too much," Shilana snarled.

"That's because she seemed to be confused about her own feelings as well. But I can sense the absence of evil as well as the presence of good. One does not necessarily preclude the other. And I felt no evil coming from her either. So my call was justified."

"Have you ever, ever, thought about the possibility that they were tricking you, Leo?" the mage snapped, throwing her hands up in exasperation.

"That would imply hostile intent and I sensed none," Leo countered. His composure was driving Shilana up the walls.

"Maybe because they shielded their thoughts from you?" she screamed, slamming the goblet hard onto the table top. The stem bent dangerously and she almost spilled her wine all over the place. Casting a quick mending spell, she fixed the goblet and continued, a little less vicious.

"You are not infallible. You can't be," she almost pleaded.

"Why? Because the idea of 'good' dark elves would make your world so much more complicated? Shilana, you of all people should know that there are no absolutes. You, of all people, should understand that. Your whole life revolves around altering the fabric of reality, messing with the building blocks of our world. For normal people, it's impossible to conjure lightning out of the blue but you can do it. Who says dark elves can't change?" Leo reasoned, trying to calm her down.

"I can't talk to you about it," Shilana snapped, rising from her chair. "Your 'everything is innocent until proven' attitude makes me sick! You are a bloody whelp, what do you know about the world?" She tossed the goblet to the floor and fled from the tavern.

As if she had drenched him with a bucket of ice water, Leo shook himself. That last remark had stung. Sure, Shilana had a flaring temper, but normally, she unleashed it only in battle. This whole situation was eating at her, and Leo wondered if he could ease her burden. But no matter how much Shilana raged against it, he knew he was right. These two dark elves, and their peers living in Oak House, were no threat. Neither to him, to his city, nor to Shilana. Sighing, he rose and went into the storm.

12