All Comments on 'Meanwhile, Back at the Ranch'

by HansTrimble

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
SW_MO_HermitSW_MO_Hermitabout 11 years ago
Wierd

quasi disjointed story that I really wanted to stop reading but I just couldn't. I had to go on to see what the idiot author in the story said or did next! I don't know what it was about this story that kept me reading. I did enjoy the little bit or "research" they did on anal sex and thought the idea of recording it for use in later manuscripts was a good one. I even enjoyed their interaction as they tried to fit themselves together and become the "team".

johm55johm55about 11 years ago
enjoyable saga

I enjoyed this story. characters had depth. The switching between the story and the book being written jarred at first but as the two started to merge, it worked much better.

Overall I liked his style and will read more of his offerings.

WistfulSeniorWistfulSeniorabout 11 years ago
Great Writing Style

Unlike some of your recent commentors, I found your writing style to be very entertaining and well constructed. The switching between the reality and the fiction in the story was well designed. I especially liked the way the fictional story gradually took on a tangential relationship with the reality of the authors life. The self-discovery experienced by both characters was well done, especially as they gradually merged into one life together. I found the whole story most enjoyable. Thank you for sharing your talents.

dreaming_dailydreaming_dailyabout 11 years ago
Marriage

I am only halfway through the story but wanted to say something about your remarks regarding marriage. I agree with you on the feeling that two people feel for eacher that they have basically married each other. I don' t agree with you on the condition that there is an exclusivesness on their respective bodies.

I love the line "never question a person's ignorance" because that is so true in many way's. The difficult part is on how to educate them.

OK, back to the rest of the story.

ariesgirlariesgirlabout 11 years ago

I enjoyed most of the story. I had to skip over some paragraphs because the writing got a bit long-winded. I appreciate authors that go into detail so the readers can get a good feel of the story but it was a bit much for me.

I use to live in Hampton Roads in VA so I was very familiar with some of the references used when describing Suzy's ancestory.

Sidney43Sidney43about 11 years ago

Interesting way to write; starting off with a story within a story and gradually they more or less meld the characters. My only criticism is that native Americans should not drink alcohol, their genetics do not tolerate it, hence lots of alcoholism.

LuvinWritinLuvinWritinabout 11 years ago
hmmm ... I gave it a 5 but...

It's kinda funny but I'm not sure how I feel about this. The story within a story was interesting. Authors often live vicariously through the exploits of thier characters as Jack was doing. Suzy changed that and thier personalities began to be incorporated into the story especially the sex.

It got a little preachy but that often happens in short stories. 'So much to say in so little time'.

I'm not sure I liked the writing style, but it felt a little jumpy or maybe pushy is a better word. Then again, maybe that's Jack's personality coming through.

All in all a good read.

Suite21menSuite21menabout 11 years ago
Henry & Fern & Jack & Suzy

Ten Lit pages is a lot to read for this reader who feels a need to keep up on Lit's new stories. Because of that, I skipped over the story within a story. I wanted to find out what happens between the main characters. Not understanding why Suzy had mental issues and had to go to therapy but this captivated me and made me read it to the end. I liked the references to Indian lore. All in all, a good read albeit long for my tastes and time.

teedeedubteedeedubabout 11 years ago
Truly Great

Very clever 'story in a story' format. A lot of interesting opinions on today's human condition. Good Job, Thanks......

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Want More

Though it met be hard for you to write, I would love to read more of their lives together.

Member389Member389about 11 years ago

I have to agree with some of the others commenting that the story within the story threw me at first, but I like how you drew them together. Overall it seemed a little wordy and over thought at the beginning. The ending at the Boston hotel went a little overboard in the other direction. A room service waiter faints at the sight of a gorgeous woman in lingerie, and a three ring circus ensues. Seems a bit far-fetched. After all that, I still loved it! 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Story Within A Story

Interesting concept, I suppose. My problem with it is that by the time I was half way through, I had lost interest in both stories. I just didn't give a damn about the writer and his girlfriend or the writer's story about gunfights and such. I did finish the story, but I can't help but feel like I wasted my time.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userHansTrimble@HansTrimble
114 Followers
I'm an engineer, widowed, retired from the aircraft industry and loving every minute of my retirement! It's great being able to do what I want, when I want, the way I want. I've found it very relaxing to sit at the keyboard at night, when everything is quiet, and write wha...