More than Friends: Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And you have to swear that you won't go native and stop shaving your pits."

Janice giggled.

"I'm serious Janice; being a virgin is bad enough you don't want to be a hairy one."

"I'm pretty sure no one is going to try to go down on my armpit."

"You never know what kind of kink those frenchies are into."

Janice knew that Yvonne was being silly and trying to make light of the situation.

"Alright Yvonne, I swear I won't stop shaving my pits. And I'll steer clear of any Frenchman sniffing at my armpits."

"Atta girl!" Yvonne said patting her on the back. "And you best not cheat on me while you're there."

"So you want me to stay a virgin?"

"Hey you can turn a slut for all I care. I mean don't cheat on me by making a new best friend because that role's already been taken."

Janice knew that this was Yvonne's way of confessing her feelings. She preferred to coat the truth with humour so that the other person couldn't tell how vulnerable she felt.

"Highly unlikely that there's gonna be anyone crazier than you." Janice wrapped her arms around Yvonne allowing her to rest her head on her shoulder.

"I'm gonna miss you."

"I know. It's just a year and you'll be really busy being the most successful planner in Philadelphia. Just you watch."

"That goes without saying."

"You should really try modesty sometimes."

"In my line of work?" asked Yvonne leaning away from her a bit. "Nah. Clients love it when I'm cocky."

"This is the final boarding call for passengers Janice Walker and Fred Collins booked on flight 372A to Paris. Please proceed to gate 3 immediately. The final checks are being completed and the captain will order for the doors of the aircraft to close in approximately five minutes time. I repeat. This is the final boarding call for Janice Walker and Fred Collins. Thank you."

When Yvonne realised that Janice was moving to France and not Philadelphia she was upset and the sole consolation was that it was only for a year. She asked Janice to come stay with her for a while before it was time for her to leave for France. So after college Janice visited with her father for a few days and then packed her bags and went to live with Yvonne for a couple of weeks before leaving the country. The two friends stood in the visitors' lounge hugging each other.

"Okay, I need to go now."

Reluctantly Yvonne let her friend leave. She stood there watching Janice till she was no longer in sight. Yvonne had discovered a while ago that Janice was her rock, the stabilizing force in her life. Boyfriends had come and gone but no one had managed to fulfil her emotional needs like Janice. She was going to have to work hard to trying to open herself up more to others because she couldn't force Janice's life to revolve around hers.

*****

Janice stared blankly at the mail on her computer.

Yves,

You may have lost Janice to France (good for her) but you've gained another friend. I have great news (drum roll please).

I was offered a position in Philadelphia and I've moved there. That's why I haven't written in so long. I've been busy with the move and wanted to surprise you.

Let's meet Friday night for drinks at Xotique bar. It'll be fun to see if we can recognize each other in person.

Ed

Janice blinked a couple of times. Edward was now in the same city as Yvonne and obviously wanted to meet with her. Considering they had been friends over a decade she knew he deserved to hear the truth in person, but since she wasn't there she saw no choice but to let Yvonne in on the secret and have her do her dirty work for her. She had always known that the day would come when she would have to confess to the truth but she hadn't expected for it to happen in this manner.

*****

"You're shitting me right?" Yvonne asked in disbelief. Janice had finished giving her a summary of the pretence she had maintained with Edward over the years and how Yvonne would have to be the one to explain everything to him since he wanted to meet her in person.

"I wish." said Janice.

"But why did you lie for so many years? Why not just tell him?"

"I don't know. It was always something or the other that convinced me it was a bad idea at the time. And then we were friends for so long I thought he'd see it as a betrayal of sorts if he learned the truth... It's just one of those things that happen and then it's so stupid that you cannot help but wonder how you got there to start with."

"I still don't get it." Yvonne felt just as confused listening to Janice's explanation now as she did the first time she heard it.

"You don't have to get it. You just need to meet him and tell him the truth."

"See, why do I have to be the one who does that?"

"Because you're there and I'm not and you want to show me why I shouldn't consider a French BFF?"

"So you're pulling out the big guns."

"Whatever works."

"Alright but just remember that when I have a friend I've pretended to be you with you're gonna-"

"See a doctor about my delusions?"

"Hey I'm perfectly capable of keeping secrets."

"I think you need to look up the word in the dictionary."

"If this is you sucking up to me, let me tell you, you're doing it wrong."

"Yvonne, please say you'll go. Please, please. You know he was your friend too and frankly if you'd kept in touch the way you'd promised him we wouldn't be having this conversation now."

"Nice job turning it around on me. I feel like a proud mama."

"Does that mean you'll go?"

"You had me at free drinks; I was just making you work for it."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'll mail you the address for the meet-up as well as his pic so you recognise him."

"Sure. The things I do for you." said Yvonne sighing dramatically.

"Hey I shaved my pits for you."

"Talk to me after you get a Brazilian. Gotta go now. Bye."

"By the way Yves, I lied- you'll have to pay for your drinks. Bye." Janice was laughing as she disconnected the call. She forwarded the details to Yvonne like she said she would and waited anxiously for Friday to come by; she hoped that her revelation wouldn't ruin the friendship she had built with Edward over the last fourteen years.

*****

Friday night Janice didn't hear back from Yvonne and there weren't any mails from Edward to indicate that the meet-up was cancelled or gone horribly wrong. She tried calling Yvonne but kept getting her voicemail. Finally, she grew tired and gave up- she would just have to wait till she heard back from one them.

*****

"So...?" Janice asked Yvonne when she finally got a call from her Sunday evening. She was eager to hear all about her meeting with Edward.

"It was good." replied Yvonne. "Really good, in fact."

"So he wasn't angry or upset?" asked Janice a bit puzzled.

"No, why would he be angry?"

"Umm... I don't know. Maybe the fact that the person he's been friends with for so many years turned out to be a different person altogether?" She couldn't help the sarcasm.

"Oh, that."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"I never told him." She fumbled with her words. "I mean I never got the chance to tell him."

"I don't understand."

"Aww heck Jan! We were having so much fun remembering the old days that we never got around to talking about anything else. Eddie is so easy to talk to- it's like he already knows me."

"Yeah, that's because he kind of does. Remember, I was pretending to be you?!"

"Whatever the reason, the fact is that he was the best first date I ever had."

"It wasn't a date Yvonne; it was a meet-up."

"Friday night may have been a meet-up but Saturday night was definitely a date."

"What are you saying Yvonne?"

"I'm saying that we hit it off and in a way I never thought possible. Eddie is smart, he knows me and he's smokin' hot!"

There was an awkward silence on the line which made Yvonne wonder.

"You never had a thing for him, did you?"

"Me? No. We were just pen pals really. It's just that... It's weird for me to imagine you two hooking up. Wait... Oh my gosh! You two didn't hook up, did you?"

"Not yet, but, it's bound to happen sooner than later."

"You skank!" Janice teased.

"If anything I'm taking it slow. I mean I plan to take things slow."

"You really like him, huh?'

"Jan, I think I may like him like him."

"Wow." Janice blew out.

"Yeah." Yvonne changed her tone; she spoke more softly now. "You don't mind, right? I knew you had a crush on him when we were kids."

"Yeah, but we were kids then. Honestly this has just taken me by surprise that's all."

"Jan, I'm gonna ask you for a big favour."

"Sure."

"I can't tell him the truth. I mean, someday sure, just not right now."

"I won't say anything, although, I don't see why you would still want it to be a secret."

"I don't know. I love how easy it's been between us so far. Rather than two people discovering each other it feels like soul mates meeting each other."

"Yvonne, you just said soul mates."

"I know. That should tell you how bad it is."

"You know what this means, right?"

"That I'm bound for heart-break?"

"No. That you're going to have to name your first born Janice."

"Even if it's a boy?" Yvonne asked incredulously.

"Especially if it's a boy." replied Janice giggling.

"Sure. I bet my kid would be cool enough to pull off a name like Janice."

Janice tittered. "I guess we'll just have to see about that."

"Thanks Jan. I've gotta go now. Love ya."

"You too. Bye."

When she disconnected the call, Janice could not shake-off the sense of disquiet within her. She had told Yvonne that she was okay with her dating Edward and she had thought so too at the time. But something about it didn't sit right with her. It was true, she admitted to herself, that she had started writing to Edward because she had a crush on him, but, her feelings for him had been nothing but platonic since.

Janice tried to figure out why the news of her pal Eddie dating her best friend Yvonne upset her. He had dated and been with women before and yet none of those relationships had bothered. Had she harboured feelings for Edward that were beyond friendship all these years, she wondered.

Somewhere inside her Janice knew the answer but fought off the realisation. She had hoped some day she would meet him and things would change between them. Even the internship in France was some way for her to connect with his past and be a part of all things associated with him. The fact that it was Yvonne bothered her because she would never stand a chance against the woman she had pretended to be. She pushed down her feelings. She had managed to keep them repressed so far, it would be pointless to allow them to emerge now when they would only hurt her.

*****

Dear Readers,

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter of this romance. There should be around three to four more chapters in this story. I initially planned to post only after I had completed writing the whole thing but found myself rushing just to finish. So instead I've decided to take it slow and post a new chapter every week.

Please take a moment to vote and if possible comment or send me feedback about my writing.

Subdued_Passion

12