Must Try Harder

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I was crushed but also free, my suspicions confirmed in my mind. Alex knew I'd be coming back and hadn't even let me know she would be away. It was obvious I'd been a fling, something to occupy herself with briefly before moving on. She was a free woman and had avoided any long term talk so I had nothing to hold against her. But, goddamn, it hurt!

I did almost nothing for the two weeks I was back. Dad and Florence walked on eggshells when I was around them, and I didn't even notice how close they were to each other now. For the rest of the time I sat and stared at nothing. But I had come to one decision; I was going to stay in education and push for promotion. My time so far in Haiti had confirmed to me how essential education is, and the kids there would do anything to get to school and learn. They were an inspiration.

I went back to Haiti after two weeks with a heavy heart but with a clear idea of the value of what I was doing, and that was at least worth something.

***

I must have been a picture as I walked into the arrivals lounge at Toussaint Louverture Airport, tired and stinking after my journey from London via Miami. I know that I staggered slightly in disbelief, and had to prop myself up on a pillar as Alex dashed over to me, squeaking in pleasure and throwing her arms around me. Our kiss was deep and sloppy, and then she was kissing my eyes and my cheeks before finding my mouth again.

Finally she leant back in my arms and gazed at my face, smiling with love at my happy confusion.

"Dad and Florence are really sorry," she began.

"About?"

"Tricking you. I flew in the day after you went back to London and I swore them to secrecy."

"But why, I mean, how come, I mean..."

"I decided to come out about a week after you left. There was no work for me and Flo gave me some money, you know she adores you? I wanted to be settled here and in a routine with the work when you got back. So we could enjoy a six month working honeymoon before..."

I was kissing her again, blessing every god I could think of.

"And what about your apology?" I asked when I was able to speak.

"Apology for what?"

"For making me think you didn't give a damn."

"It was all part of the surprise," she said with a smile, "but if you really think that you need an apology, well, this is hardly the place."

And as I received apology after apology that night I had to agree with her.

***

Dad and Florence were married for four years before he passed away. At least he got to see his grand daughter, and Florence won't leave Maya alone. When we opened his will I was glad to find out he'd left half his house to my brother who'd done so much more over the recent years. I put that down to Florence's influence.

Florence is still the queen of the pensioners' club, although I know she misses dad. But I guess that at their age you appreciate every day you have together knowing it could be the last. For Alex and me there are decades before I need to feel that way. Every day it's a pleasure to wake up with her, even when a bouncing three year old decides to replace the alarm clock. Except on Sunday mornings; Maya stays with Florence on Saturday nights, and Sunday mornings are our time. I make sure I possess every part of Alex before we reluctantly drive over to Blackheath for Sunday lunch. And Florence always makes Alex let me watch the football...