All Comments on 'My Career on the Line'

by Cromagnonman

Sort by:
  • 20 Comments
jack_strawjack_strawalmost 16 years ago
amen, brother

Although you used a broadsword where a rapier might have been more effective, I still like the way you skewered the swaggerts in the modern church. I live in the heart of the Bible Belt, and I get this stuff all the time. We don't have brothels here, but they usually find something to rail about morally. We have some mega-churches that this church really fits, but we've also got some other smaller churches that do a wonderful ministry right here in town. Now, I do have some issues with the Southern Baptist church, but the one thing I do like about them is they believe strongly in the autonomy of the individual congregation. There are no bishops and elders in the Baptist church, pulling the strings for the individual pastor. So, presumably, a man could deliver a sermon like this one, and it wouldn't cost him his job.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Old hat

Nothing new particularly here, and certainly nothing that most Christian churches would object to. It seems the author hasn't actually been in church too often lately. On the other hand, he also tries to slip some rather interesting things by as teachings that aren't — i.e. Christians, Jews and Muslims don't want to spread their beliefs to others. That is certainly NOT true, and equally clearly, there are at least some branches of Islam today that will happily still spread their beliefs 'by the sword' —

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
double standard

double standard at it's best. Bravo to put it so clearly to the congregation. Not many would dare to do this.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Talk aboout in the dark!

Dear Mr. Old Hat:

If you would remove your to where the sun shines and read the Koran you would know that there fewer differences between all faiths (Hindus, Buddhists and most other major religions) than would think.

But if you ever do read the Koran, remember it is not only a religious document but also a social and economic document.

The social part being things such as women's head scarves, segregated prayer, separation of the sexes outside of the home and many others.

The Koran also covers the economic law regarding lending of money and far more stringent penalties for usury then the US government.

As to not spreading their beliefs to others, what about Mormon missionary's, Jehovah's wittiness's pounding on my door virtually forcing me to take their literature.

As an agnostic, not an anonymous, I am sure that you and agree about nothing other than porn. Have good day in church next Sunday.

Cary Sanderson

sherlock40sherlock40almost 16 years ago
Damn, this is the exact reason that I detest the

churches that "preach" the gospel. They say what they want and twist the words to mean what they want them to say. Religion has caused more problems for this world than any other reason. Too bad we can't have more faith and less religion.

A fantastic story. I hope to read more from you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Great read!

Quite enjoyable! Thank you author for posting this one. We liked it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
A nice parody in favor of the sex workers.

Now could we get on with an erotic story?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
A very Good Story that Does fit on this site

A note for Jack Straw, I have been a member of very large and very small Southern Baptist churches and while churches are independent (we won't mention the churches that are invited out of the state conventions for violating church doctrine -open communion etc.--), Pastors are hired and fired by the deacons in the individual church, assisted/directed by large contributors.

That aside, there is a large amount of truth in the story and a very strong minded Pastor and wife, who are unfortunately leaving this church. Even leaving out the parable of searching after the missing/lost lamb while leaving the ninety and nine, that Christ taught. His ideal of establishing a church as a body of beleivers and then going out to look for the lost instead of waiting for the lost to come in, of not tossing the first stone is ignored by many. The oldest or second oldest profession (depending on how you count) has been with us for thousands of years. Without customers, many more than workers, it could not exist. Who do you think the customers are?

An apt topic, very well done.

CromagnonmanCromagnonmanalmost 16 years agoAuthor
Comment on feedback

A Long time ago a very wise and deeply religious woman told me that I could find the brand of instant coffee to drink in the Bible, if I looked hard enough. That she was right is irrelevant, what she was really saying to me was that the church took fragments of Scripture out of context to justify an agenda, in particular the 'Prosperty Doctrine' so dear to the hearts of the 'Mega Churches'. In answer to the comment that I haven't been near a church recetly; I have, and what I witnessed had little relevance to the teachings of the New Testament, in particular that of unconditional love for your neighbour, in a unversal context. It was all about how wonderful they were and how much better they were than other churches, everything that was criticised in Matthe 23, the inspiration for my story.

OleTroubadorOleTroubadorover 14 years ago
And there is but one God

I do not know how many religions exist in this world, I do know that every religious group believes that THERE'S is the only true God, and they are the only true believers.

How blind are they who will not see.

There are very few true altruist in this world, but many good people who do try to live by the Golden Rule, who have empathy and do care for and reach out to others.

The comments listed indicate that some of your Elders have been reading here.

Thank you for your story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
There is no god and too many religions,

many of which are vast commercial organisations, getting generous tax breaks and on a good day restrict themselves to dictating their values to everyone else. Any good deeds could equally be done by a social or charitable organisation but for a jihad, a burning or a stoning you cant beat a bit of religion. All in the name of a genocidal god(the flood and sodom and passover, the acts of a loving god?) -- UK CYNIC

bruce22bruce22over 10 years ago
Excellent Presentation

Brings to the surface all the defects in our society. The problem is that no one seems to pay attention to what Jesus taught, just what they can do to make a living from it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Well structured

He needs to go public. Get the video cameras with all the parishoners going in and out - of the brothel I mean.

Nail the two faced, smarmy, unchristian bastards.

Very well structured story. I like to see revenge though.

tazz317tazz317almost 10 years ago
A TRUE LOOK AT THE TV EVANGELISTS

Million dollar homes, several jet planes, no taxes, acting as a benefactor while fleecing the masses. TK U MLJ LV NV

RasmatRasmatalmost 9 years ago
Amen

You very succinctly pinpointed the primary reason that I have no time for churches and their pompous hipocritous leadership and congrigations.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Admittedly, I have little use or respect for "religions" but

even less for those I have seen cherry picking the scriptures for their own self serving translations. I am not sure why they are tax free or what oversight they have for the spending of the money involved. TV scam artists who prey on the weak minded in our communities to build beautiful buildings and live lives the parishoners would admit are extravagant should be prosecuted. Others who use their positions to encourage killing should be treated in exactly that way. The bible or word of God has been translated by men and rewritten by men. There will always be ten percenters who arrange to be between people and whatever services wanted and get their livings from that arrangement. While I'm sure there is something greater than we are, I'm not sure we can understand that or that he/she speaks to any of us. Scotty

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
LIKE THEY SAY

there are more hypocrites in church every Sunday that those that don't go...and priests are the biggest bastards out...look at all the Catholics moved away when trouble started over them using little boys for pleasure or those so called churches that raise millions but do fuck all to help the needy or poor of their town or bastards like...Jimmy Lee Swaggart ...Sexual scandals with prostitutes in the late 1980s and early 1990s led the Assemblies of God to defrock him.

acacaacacaalmost 6 years ago
right on

That is what should happen in every church. If not brothels then bars, pool halls,

sport places, etc.

tazz317tazz317almost 6 years ago
WHY PUT MONEY, GOOD AND RELIGION IN THE SAME HAT

where as the only true Spirit is the money, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

We All know the hypocrisy of the church esp the RCs. Unfortunately they hide away their paedophiles and let them continue their grotty work. Sad but in the end we will all realise that we don’t need a church to know where Source is. It is within and I believe that the new Religion will be based on groups that gather who Know that. Nice story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCromagnonman@Cromagnonman
I'm a pretty normal average male, chronologically well over 18 but psychologically I'm not so sure. I have been writing as a hobby for many years and now that I have time on my hands I am looking to become more professional at it. I enjoy reading, morning walks along the river...

story TAGS