All Comments on 'My Life with Serena'

by carvohi

Sort by:
  • 171 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
real life is messy

I liked it. We tend to figure what it takes to stay.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Great story!

Simply the best story I have read on this site. Very well written. I wish I could write that well.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
So

He was arrested for hitting Tim. So what happened to that? Did Tim get in trouble? Did Tim lose his license? What happened????

It seems you fucked up again.

EgoTrixiEgoTrixialmost 11 years ago
Very nicely written but...

...what happened as far as Tim was concerned? I think your story lost a lot leaving this important detail under the cover. You should have included some apropriate punishment, henve "tying the open ends". I´d suggest you write an aftermaths concluding this story. 4 stars...(could have been 5)

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Interesting

I am a little surprised that a doctor would not recognize placebos. And considering her fragile condition that he would not see her behavior change, and investigate. Tim's reaction to being caught was odd, he spews into her face as the husband watches. For that matter, why didn't Travis rush in right away and pull Tim away? He knew his wife's condition and that she was out of it. He allowed Tim to come on her. Kind of fucked up if you ask me. Although Tim left town, I am surprised at how he wasn't punished for what he did, and even had the gall to have Travis arrested which would put the spotlight on him. A lot of inconsistencies but an interesting plot. I would have written it that Tim spewed onto space, and he was given to Bubba. I really liked your development of Serena.

4

WILLACWILLACalmost 11 years ago
Very different.

Oh to have a never ending love for all. The world would be better by far.

Intellegent but manic and manipulative as she was she was also loving and special. Interesting plot and story.

HcopHcopalmost 11 years ago
Very good story...

... with real people and real feelings, in a real world. Excellent writing, I wouldn't change anything. It's been a while anything like that was posted here. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
one question, doctor, woman her mental state, why kids?

why bring kids into the world with these possible genetic links?

EngineCo1EngineCo1almost 11 years ago
Very Nice

Great job!

Excellent story line and development.

You really raised the bar with this one, especially since so many stories lately have been trash.

Thanks for taking your time for our entertainment.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Excellent Tale,

Giving us a peek into the not-quite-average people on the planet.

Tim is a problem, though. And his Placebos, (spelled that way plurally, I checked)

Being a Doctor, as Tim is, prescribing stuff for Serena, surely it came out before this that her stuff is placebic. The Husband would take a single look at her medications bottle and know, surely. And the dispensing pharmacist, surely too.

And then Tim, Medical Degree, white coat and stethoscope, disappears never to be seen or heard of again. Good Riddance, but not realistic.

But then, I'm a Quibbler. but one who Does appreciate the quality and consistency of this good writing. Cheers, and Thanks,

Kilroy.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Definitely different

I have to admit this story was not what I was expecting, and that isn't a bad thing in this case. I tend not to leave feedback but this was unique enough to note, thank you.

mikoli5763mikoli5763almost 11 years ago
What about Tim?

I liked the story until the end. Tim doesn't get punished for messing up her meds and that's not right. Getting divorced by sister was not enough. Even if he couldn't prove the deliberate changing of her meds, hubby should have ambushed Tim and laid some physical discomfort on him.

Rogn123Rogn123almost 11 years ago
better perspective

5* this story sure gives a good perspective on how mundane my day to day family problems are and shows me better ways to deal with them.

jacsrjacsralmost 11 years ago
Nice Story

Would love to see a continuation of the story, very well written.

The story shows the difficulties of someone that is borderline with her particular disabilities. I say disabilities because that is what it is.

Have been reading your stories for awhile and enjoy them.

carvohicarvohialmost 11 years agoAuthor
Wow! Am I happy!

Honest! Up to here I'm so pleased with the comments. I have only a few responses. Tim is a pharmacist and an in-law. That I would assume would have placed him above suspicion perhaps in Travis's eyes. This is isn't about Tim; it's about Serena and Travis. Serena's meds extinct themselves slowly so Travis's lack of awareness, especially in light of her father's recent death, is forgivable. These kinds of mental/emotional disturbances often skip generations, hence the presumption one would choose to not have children out of fear makes very little sense from a clinical standpoint, and of course, absolutely no sense in the human context. Most important this story only covers two days so consequences for Tim and future threats to Travis's and Serena's happiness are future fodder. I really like Serena and Travis, they have beautiful children, and there are real threats to their security and happiness out there. I'm seriously thinking about a sequel.

Alas I'm sorry about the error in spelling placebo.

BTTapBTTapalmost 11 years ago
The good, the bad and the ugly

The good: the characters seemed so real, they jumped off the page. The story, despite being rather long for this format, kept my attention. I enjoyed the actual writing itself quite a bit. It was very original, and I appreciated the treatment of the difficulties in dealing with a spouse with a serious mental illness. All very well done.

The bad: it was a little wordy. A little content editing would have helped, probably would have been just as effective if it had 40% fewer words.

The ugly: dramatic LW stories too often rely on the "BAD GUY": the truly, inexplicably evil man who engages in a covert operation to cajole a woman into cheating, etc. Tim was that guy here; his motivation seems o be nothing more than to screw his hot, but unstable, sis-in-law. So, he risks his own marriage, his sis-in-law's medical safety, his own financial and physical well-being, his employment and his liberty (guess what? This would lead to jail time) just to get some pussy? Not likely. Using it was effective here, but it is a little hack, imho.

4 *'s

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago

Masterfully written and you capture the ups and downs by living with a mentally ill person quite well (yeah, been there).

As far as the badguy not getting severely punished, that's how it often is in life. To me that fact adds to the realism and thus the overall impact of the story.

Richie4110Richie4110almost 11 years ago
Loved it!

Wonderful read with great characters and plot. I'd hoped to see more retaliation towards Tim and how far she wenr with him as well as with any others. But that might have detracted from the main point of how he could deal with her illness. It is truly a love story.

Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
WTF?

You build all these story lines and then abruptly end with zero resolution. Tim gets a divorce as punishment? Weak. Why not file criminal charges for attempted rape? even if she swallowed the placebos, they could be tested when they pumped her stomach. Her punishment is a new wardrobe? What were the hints about her past for? I was waiting for the revelation that her past psychotic breaks led to uncontrollable slutiness. Also, work details into the story instead wrtiing an aside.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
WONDERFUL STORY

Great story, well written and realistic. Loving a person with a mental illness can be difficult as your characters showed. Its good to get stories of this quality.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago

I'm still trying to figure out who was more mentally insane in this story. Serena or Hubby? It was a well written story and an interesting topic. I will say that I have to disagree with almost every single decision that hubby made. There is absolutely no doubt that someone like that needs around the clock supervision and this idiot (He definitely was the dumbest man ever to graduate medical school) allowed her to raise his little kids. She was a danger to ANYONE she came in contact with. To top it off what kind of moron would allow someone like that to regulate and schedule her own medicine. Like I said who was the most insane person in this story? My vote goes for THE HUBBY!!!

SparksWillFlySparksWillFlyalmost 11 years ago
Quick Comment

You said to point out specific grammar items. When you quoted JFK about rising tides, you failed to close the quote and it felt like Kennedy said the whole paragraph. Not.

ResidentWeavilResidentWeavilalmost 11 years ago
Different and loving

I agree with the others who felt the brother in law got off too easy. The slime needed dealing with. I can only hope that there was an unmentioned investigation and jail time. Or a back-alley accident.

As for the comments about Serena not being fit to raise her kids, proper medication can make a huge difference with some disorders. Travis said she would need constant care until she was stable again. It was clear he knew she couldn't be trusted with the kids until she was back in control.

I could imagine a second version/sequel from Serena's viewpoint. The loss of reason, the seduction, her fear of family loss and even some revenge. She is brilliant in her own way it was said. Once she gets it back together, why wouldn't she go after the man who almost destroyed her life and jeopardized her family?

Great read. Thanks for sharing.

tazz317tazz317almost 11 years ago
ONCE IN LOVE WITH SERENA

the vows will take a beating and then some. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
just

for the plot.

what kind of doctor would act so irresponsible and have kids with a woman like her ? and not only one, no 3. at least in my country she would be under state supervision. in the 60 maybe still 70s she would have had a tubal occlusion. these days the give the medication with shots that functions up to 6 month.

as long as she is not cured (which seem not be possible, since her kid days) she could not lead a independent life herself.

as for the erotic point, what do you think you are writing here? it's like in that town most men are into fucking the shit out of every mental disturbed woman for fun! where the hell are you living ?

awful, not the writing style, but the plot.

dbdukedbdukealmost 11 years ago
WOW!

What a deep, deep story. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Well done!!!!

Such an atypical LW story. Serena's evolving character development kept me completely engaged until the final paragraph.

<P>

Please don't stop writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
It needed some further explanation...

into what had happened to her in her past. What kind of detective work had he done into researching her situation? What was it that others in the "small town" knew about her, or at least thought they did? Why was he trying to be tough with her (taking her to her moms, making her spell out divorce, leaving her unsupervised to take her meds wrong and leave in the truck)- when he knew he was going to stay with her and continue to take care of her? How come the night he took her in to the ER to get tested, how come they couldn't get her medications straightened out then? Why does Tim get off scott free? I mean those are some serious criminal allegations against a pharmacist, over and above the sexual contact. But above all else, it was just so frustrating to never know exactly what was wrong with her. I can see you not wanting to give it away too soon, but in seven pages, you never actually got around to telling us what it was, or clarifying the nature of her condition. It made it seem like YOU didn't know what it realistically could have been, and tried but failed to explain something you didn't understand. All it did was make you lose credibility, and make it harder to get into the characters. This was surely an attempt at trying something different with a cheating wife story, but it was just TOO out there. I applaud your effort to try something new, but as a storyteller, you need to get all of your facts, info, and continuity lined up and in order, before you commit it to seven pages. This read more like it was stream of conscience writing, where you HOPED that you said what you wanted to, and that your general theme was expressed. Sorry, but this just needed a lot more work to be enjoyable.

SparksWillFlySparksWillFlyalmost 11 years ago
Good Story

Have to remove real life from expectations. i doubt a pharmacist would risk his license and livelihood that way. I doubt a doctor would let the pharmacist get away, not because he was related but because he is a continuing threat to the health of his customers. Brushing off the possibility of prosecuting Tim seemed based on flimsy logic. At the end, leaving Tim in place in the family without repercussion feels wrong. Well written and compelling. Five stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Great story about a tough situation

One of the better ones on the site. Its fortunate that the husband is a doctor, but only a doctor would have stuck to a marriage with a woman in that condition. Her awareness of her problems and discussion about it is the hook of the story and creates sympathy for her and not just husband.

Good job!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
A gem of a story for this site.

A mentally challenged wife , a loving husband. A lot of ups and downs but he stuck it out. Loving her and going on not knowing if and when a real tragic will happen . A great and different loving husband story for literotica.

DG HearDG Hearalmost 11 years ago
Great story

I'm not into disecting stories. I go with what the author wants to tell me. This was an excelant story on a very hard subject' Kudos for doing a great job.

With respect

DG Hear

carvohicarvohialmost 11 years agoAuthor
In response to the anon who said it needed some further explanation.

I'm sorry you missed the point of the story. This was two days in the life of a family. It's about a sick wife and a devoted husband. It's not a detective story. It's not a story about the law or getting even or throwing someone in prison or learning about medicine. Let me expand only so slightly. Travis loves his wife. She's upset him. He's upset himself. He's a man and a human being with deep emotions. He behaves emotionally because he's scared. In the opening I used an improper term- scaredest! She's sick. Sometimes there are symptoms for which there are no clear cut answers. The human mind is terribly complicated. Serena is a fearful woman; she's afraid she'll be abandoned, afraid she'll be locked away, and she's deeply in love. Travis is her true love and her lifeline. She lives in fear he might some day tire of her and leave. She does absolutely crazy things to keep him close. She obsesses. She manipulates. Travis loves her. She's his wife and one true love. He'll do what he needs to do protect her and his family. Tim probably broke twenty different laws and should go to prison, but a good lawyer for the defense would certainly bring out Serena's illness(s). Then what would Travis do? He weighs the opportunity costs. Is it worth the risk of seeing a bunch of do gooder social workers get involved and lock away his sweetheart on the chance at revenge against an asshole who'll probably be out of their lives anyway? That's a no brainer! Did you read the portion where Travis almost shit his pants when he thought he might have pancreatic cancer? Give it up anon! This is a love story, not tale of vengeance, not a detective story, and certainly not a medical show. You want detectives watch CSI. You want vengeance watch Nicolas Cage or Clint Eastwood. You want medicine watch Doc Martin or House. You want a Loving Wives story...well?

SoFlaWillSoFlaWillalmost 11 years ago
wow

A lot closer to reality than 99.99% of the LW stories we read each day. And yes, know the stories are fiction or fact based fiction, but wow.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333almost 11 years ago

Thanks for the offering.

gordo12gordo12almost 11 years ago
Very different

I met a girl years ago and it took quite a while before I started to realize that all her little quirks were the signs of a serious underlying mental illness.

Sadly I had to walk away. I guess this one struck a little too close to home with me.

Great job in writing it.

warspitewarspitealmost 11 years ago
Damned Fine Job

Having family with mental issues, I could almost see Serena's actions and how hubby handled them. Most everything in this story rang true and the characterizations were a quick study of families dealing with a troubled member. Well Done.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Well Done

A little long and it was getting flat towards the end...but it rings true. 5x5

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 11 years ago
CARVOHI..... dude you are a fucking idiot

this doctor marries a women who is so fucked up that she decides to strip because travis is talking to someone else at a nightclub? golly what could possibly go wrong?

wanoldmanwanoldmanalmost 11 years ago
More true than you could believe!

This lady sounds like so many people who have been diagnosed with asperger's syndrome among other things including bi-polar..

Also, a family I used to be very close to has two brothers, both of whom are college grads. One is an unbelievable hoarder, the other unable to hold a job. Their sister is an absolute recluse. All a little more than half a bubble off plumb.

OneShotOneOneShotOnealmost 11 years ago
Harryin VA

Sums up this and all carvohi stories nicely.

LickideesplitLickideesplitalmost 11 years ago
Painful

This was a painful read! I concur with those who believe Tim was presented as unmitigated Bad! Why would Sis marry such a loser? Then stay with his fat ass?

The pain, however, came in what Hubby had to do to cope with Sweetie's disorder in disarray! A modern tale of Job! (Two-day version!).

BriteaseBriteasealmost 11 years ago
So true to life

I have a pal who is a really great guy, until he forgets his pills. Then you simply don't want to be around him, and in fact it could be dangerous to do so. Should he be locked up because he goes off the rails once every couple of years or so? None of us think so. Not at least while he's got friends around him who can spot the signs and get him sorted out before it goes too far. Life isn't always easy.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Britease i am with you

Life is not black or white like some morons like to think.

A wife of my best friend have some problems...

years ago, she forgot she was taking medication and drink a lot in a office party.She pulled a train and her husband and son had to rescue her.She was so out, when her son caught her fucking she offered her ass to him...scary!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
well done!

In spite of the many, many spelling and grammatical annoyances, this was a superb story, engagingly written and well told!

You hint no less than three times that she's been unfaithful, but never address the issue.

Perhaps in a sequel, we'll find out a little more about Serena's unspoken behaviors?

Nice work at 5....I'd strongly suggest some editorial help to make things shine.....

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioalmost 11 years ago
Interesting, original story

Generally liked the story. As another said, it was a bit wordy and at times, I felt it rambled. It took a while to get through it. But the writing was pretty good and I don't believe this theme has been done before, so it gets high marks for originality.

There were some plot holes. I don't see how Travis could possibly have time to stay in shape, let alone maintain his Karate skills. As a doctor, he has long work hours. Then he has to devote time to three kids, and then his wife fucks him half to death every night (what a way to go). So Travis really has no time for himself, let alone time to keep a fighting edge.

We also never learn about Tim's motivations or about Serena's past, as several others pointed out. Travis' behavior seems at times as weird as Serena's. Selling her car right away. Sending her to her Mother's. Delaying the blood tests (to check for the Ecstasy as well as levels of her psychotropic meds). Treating her by himself when her mental illness requires a psychiatrist.

Had blood tests been performed right away, I don't see how Tim could escape charges. His defense attorney could insinuate that Serena stopped her meds but I don't see how she would have means or motivation to get an illegal substance. And Travis has the semen sample evidence which would back his story and gives motive for Tim to drug Serena.

So a good prosecutor would have Tim by the balls. Just the charges would result in suspension of his pharmacist's license, which would last for years, even if he beat the rap eventually. In the medical field, once charged, one is assumed guilty until proven innocent. I give this four stars, solid writing effort.

carvohicarvohialmost 11 years agoAuthor
My responses to the two 7-11 comments

To the anon who remarked about grammatical errors. I asked at the outset if you found something identify it precisely. Upon rereading I found three places where a word was omitted, and one gentleman pointed out the JFK quote lacked the closing quotation mark. You suggest there were several places where instances of infidelity by Serena could be inferred. Believe me, it's my story, Serena never had a thought of infidelity, not once. You're reading something that isn't there.

To the second 7-11 commenter. Travis's reactions at the outset are those of a surprised stunned workaholic. He did things that, in hindsight, certainly made no sense, but this is a story about people, and people can be relied upon to behave in unreliable and irrational ways. As this story ends for Travis and Serena vengeance regarding Tim is a low priority. This was two days, just two days in their lives. Travis's first priorities are to work to understand what was wrong with Serena and start to fix it, then his next primary goal is to protect his family. Tim is low on his list of needs and concerns. Sure he might be able to get Tim, but would the risk to his wife's safety and freedom be worth it?

See here; we've just finished celebrating July 4th, Independence Day, and the Battle of Gettysburg. Gettysburg, Antietam, et. al. notwithstanding we know the event that crushed the South in the Civil War was Sherman's March to the Sea. At the outset historians estimate there were 500,000 southerners under arms across the region. By the time Sherman reached Savannah they believe that number had dropped to 200,000. Sherman certainly didn't kill 300,000 Confederates. Then what happened? We know what happened! Men got word of Sherman's depredations. The Glorious Cause be damned; hearth and home came first! The soldiers went home to protect their wives and families. Travis might hate Tim. He might want to get at him for what he did, but he has to weigh the opportunity costs. Is getting Tim worth the dangers inherent in exposing his wife's difficulties and possibility crippling his family? That's Travis's call, not anyone else's.

Maybe there's a sequel, maybe not. I love these characters. Maybe I will write about them some more, but if I do it's months away. Heck, I might write it and never put it out if I thought too many people would attack it. They are my people after all.

Last, like I said I'm henpecked; my wife has ordered me to make some more money. I have to work. I'm a good husband and father. I have kids, cows, and a concupiscent wife. I do what I'm told.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
A story that leads one to think

First of all I think this tale is far better than the score shown today indicates.

I have thought on this each day since Carvohi released it. There are several parallels between Travis' (fictitious) life and my own very real past eight years. That is the amount of time I have been divorced from my wife of thirteen years. Unlike Serena my ex had went much farther more often. That was something that I could not accept even though I had a eight year old daughter and a seven year old autistic son at the time. Her condition started about a year after our sons birth and basically went into the toilet following her fathers death in 2005. Carvohi, I would have loved to have had Travis's faith and patience as well as his outcome. But in my case staying would have lead to an even greater disaster for the family. We have 50/50 custody (It's California after all) so I can be there for the kids. The ex basically sleeps all day and stays up all night and my daughter is really her brothers parent when away from me.

A couple more cliches often found in cheating wife stories (LOL), I am retired Army (7 years as an Airborne 91B, 9 years as a 93H/J/C, 9 years as an 88N, and 2 years IRR). I am a disabled Vet. I was injured in a night jump onto an anti-tank range at Fort Stewart in 1978 and continued in the Army for another 25 years. And I traded up (I guess). For five years I have been dating exclusively a tenured UC Professor here along the Northern California coast. Which is a story all by itself. But all in all, I still wish that the divorce would have not been a necessary outcome. My life is on hold until my youngest can complete high school. At such time I will marry my girlfriend and fully retire.

Carvohi, Please write more on this couple. Its a nice journey into what could have been in a better world. Thick skins are very much in order as idiots that love attacking are always going to be with you. For some... that is all they have to look forward to in life. Let them have their three seconds of glory. You get to have three decades yourself if not more as a writer. Best wishes on your continued success. AM

TavadelphinTavadelphinalmost 11 years ago
Interesting how people can KNOW what others should

In situations they have never been in nor would - apparently - allow themselves to ever be in.

I am pleased - however - that they are so sure that their lives will never fall off the rails - it must be wonderful to have such complete control over all aspects of your life.

Life is filled with examples of people who overlook apparent disability or challenge to go where they want or be with whom they please - let them be - let the author write his story and evaluate what is there not what you want life to be - is it well written - did it make you thin about something of import - is there a lesson (beyond don't do that st00pid) etc.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
liked it

I thought it was an original premise and well written also.

cw159cw159over 10 years ago
Interesting Story

i gave it 5* since it was an unusual plot line. One thing I would have liked would be more development of Tim's motives for substituting the placebos in place of her normal meds. Sure it was mentioned that he wanted to get into Sarena's panties but that was the purpose of the Ecstasy, wasn't it? Was he jealous of Travis position as a doctor or was there some other reason? Was it just because he was an asshole and could do it? Inquiring minds want to know

nappyroot26nappyroot26over 10 years ago
I almost didn't read this story...

The story hit a little close for me. My soon to be ex-wife is definitely mentally ill. But she definitely knows right from wrong, unlike Serena in the story. I've enjoyed your writing these last few years. Keep it up. And to hell with anyone who doesn't appreciate your stories!

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
You are fantastic!

I love the story- fantastic- takes guts to write about mental problems and love, relations and how hard these things must be for the people living their lives with this sort of burdens. You are really something out of the ordinary-Thanks !!!

tazz317tazz317over 10 years ago
SHOWING OF FAMILY LIFE WITH A MENTALLY ILL WIFE/ or husband or child

life in itself is hard without trials and tribulations of coping, TK U MLJ LV NV

dylan954dylan954over 10 years ago
Great Story

Great story, wrong category, this was a real romance and very enjoyable, pity that Tim didn't get his nuts cut off. I hate people who abuse others but apart from that the story showed real love and understanding from the husband. Thanks for sharing.

FD45FD45over 10 years ago
The story was interesting

Very seldom are the stories here about less than perfect people. HE of course, is always a saint. She is a great hot mom and wife...except she fucks around.

Here...we have someone tragically flawed. A relationship which is actual WORK and pain and struggle. Dealing with the insane is a very tiring and hard existence.

In describing that, it was a credible job.

Here is my problem. Your pacing was off, your jumping around in time scale was jarring and your over description of her responses etc. was drawn out.

I think you were trying to have some kind of reveal to maintain tension, but honestly, it failed. Excuse me. You established she was crazy in Act II, which made Act I difficult to follow. You had all kinds of suggestions of WHAT exactly was wrong with her with the nudges and winks with the cops, but there was no pay off.

And I wrote a similar character. She LOVED kids! LOVED them. But she felt she was damaged and broken. So offering to take her to the park or the hospital was a traumatic and disquieting thing for her.

When her husband laid out exactly what her punishment was, in my mind, she should have been crying her eyes out. He tried to be EXTRA nice when he punished her. Now he was treating her like a queen. Using crazy logic, Serena should have gotten the memo that she REALLY HURT HER HUSBAND. Every outfit should have been a badge of shame for her.

Here, she's dancing around like its a game. This seemed to break with what you had already established. Either that, or you communicated the ideas poorly...or I misunderstood (roll the dice on that one...)

intriguing. I hope your other stories have better pacing and outlines.

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 10 years ago
Strange but entertaining story

And interesting comments. All things considered, perhaps it is a little wordy, but CV did create a couple of very interesting characters. I wouldn't mind a couple of sequels.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Close to home

My wife has been my sweetheart since we were 10 yrs old. Our relationship is very close to this story. We been married for 35 years with 3 children a 11 grandkids. Most loving wife , mother, friend, lover you can imagine. This story really made me think how lucky I am to have her in my life, thank you for the reminder.

semofuncpl3semofuncpl3over 10 years ago
He has

True love. Nothing else needs to be said.

eworceworcabout 10 years ago
finish the story

I liked the story but would have liked it better if Tim had explicitly gotten what he deserved.

carvohicarvohiabout 10 years agoAuthor
Hey Moncalm!

Love is blind.

SplitAcesSplitAcesabout 10 years ago
Terrific story

I especially like your attitude towards "do gooders". Clearly, their agenda is to cause havoc, take credit for other's efforts and to make you resent doing what you would have done happily without their involvement.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
Goddamn mindless prattle !

surely vociferous.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
fun read

A fun read on a different life.

Can't help wishing Tim had gotten punished more.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
It reads

like you have been there. If so, you have my condolences. People who have never had a "special" spouse, friend, parent or sibling don't get it. 5*

Samhain8415Samhain8415over 9 years ago
5*

If it let me vote that's what you'd get, this would be a good story for u to do a sequel

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Again

I read this once before and really liked it. Second time through it's even better. A marvelous account of true and deep love.

potsherdpotsherdover 9 years ago
...the best...

I like your stories a lot, but, to my mind, this is the best.

kdcee79kdcee79over 9 years ago
Wow, great work

I've read about 6 of your stories/series & enjoyed all except 1, but, man this was just something special. You're a very talented writer with an uncanny ability to make the words real & alive, well to me anyway, please keep writing, it's so good being able to read someone whose tales are consistently good. 5 *****

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
THE DOC IS REALLY LUCKY

most couples don't know what's wrong with their marriage. He Does. TK U MLJ LV NV

Benedict12Benedict12over 9 years ago
Emotional Impact

The lump in my throat may need medical care. You have provided your readers with an indelible portrait of selfless love. Bravo

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
WOW

Your story is so real to me, I had many years of an ill wife who would stop taking her meds for no good reason. She went through more nervous breakdowns than I can remember to count.

Very well done.

frazodfrazodover 9 years ago

Definitely your best story. I have liked/loved most of them, but for some reason this one hits me hard and makes me very emotional.

Thanks

MisterBillBillyMisterBillBillyover 9 years ago
Your are a silly man and a

good writer. You need more tang and (I don't mean sex) in your stories....5

bill....

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
degenerate garbage !

Thoroughly talentless. 1* !

VickieTernVickieTernover 9 years ago
So?

Did they at last have a son? Did Tim lose his pharmacist's license (so he couldn't indulge himself unprofessionally ever again at someone else's cost)? Did they live happily ever after? (well, that, of course!). Otherwise, intricately conceived and executed!

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
GETTING ON...GETTING OFF....STAYING ON

script meds is very very hard to accomplish, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Very Good Story

What a story!! It's from a whole different line of thinking. I wonder if this would fit better under Romance, since it is a story about true love that shines through the vows for better for worse, in sickness and in health. Nevertheless, highly recommended reading.

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
THE SAD TRUTH IS

people who need meds are not the same as people who want them. tk u mlj lv nv

rightbankrightbankover 9 years ago
you paint a difficult picture to view

but they are your brushes and it is your blank page.

Troubling to me were the many markers along the timeline that were either ignored or deliberately left vague. The coworker who knew something troubling from her youth, but didn't give him the information. The struggles to keep finding a balance of meds that stayed working. Even the police officers knew "You're the girl who...", but we were never told just what happened. Meanwhile, all these clues and puzzle pieces, were in the hands of an M.D.

The fear of being left alone exhibited by Alaina is also worrisome. Has the "condition" been passed to the next generation?

It would provide a bit of closure to know that Tim lost his license and his professional standing so he won't be messing with someone else's medications in the future.

This just shows that even the most beautiful rose comes with thorns.

gara5289gara5289about 9 years ago

Really sad and kind of touching. He loved her so much that he didn't view caring for her as a burden. That's special.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
True love

She needs him as screwed up in her brain she is, he lives her and is willing to care for her. The sister husband needed jail time for this. So he gets away clean.

KarenEKarenEabout 9 years ago
Typos

“Rebecca had stopped laughing and giggling, but she still had this stupid look on her face.”

I think that was supposed to be Serena.

“All the meds Tim prescribed that were intended to be for her mental condition turned out to be placebos."

Tim didn’t “prescribe” anything, he was supposed to FILL prescriptions.

KarenEKarenEabout 9 years ago
@Anonymous 07/08/1 Re: Arrest

It SAID Tim agreed to drop the charges.

IndyOnIndyOnalmost 9 years ago
Nice Story....

Very well done....you have a way of getting to the reader's emotions....I think that means your a very good writer! "5" from me. BTW Karen is quite the Eagle Eye...

RagnaarRagnaaralmost 9 years ago
Outstanding....

I was expecting BTB and go a heart warming tale of love that really meant

"in sickness and in health".

I had an uncle who's wife came down with encephalitis within months of getting married and it left her partially paralyzed, with limited use of her limbs, speech impaired as well, this was in 1950. They were together for 55 years when she passed. She left a husband who loved her and 3 beautiful daughters.

*****

Ragnaar...

0649d0649dover 8 years ago
Moving story

One of your stories that just caught my attention. I can see how it's romantic in one sense, but I can also imagine how it's really tough for people in real life. The stigma and the worry about safety would be ever-present. Heck, she might commit suicide if he died. And a lot of people just aren't prepared to put up with a person with mental illness. I know you're getting a lot of flak from people who blame the husband for marrying her, but sometimes that's just the way the wind blows, people have compassion and don't mind being with someone who seems a bit infantile. It would have been good to find out what happened to the pharmacist as a sense of closure, but life doesn't always happen that quick with the time-frame of your story. You wrote a pretty good story about one way it could turn out. Definitely not easy. I praise you for your work. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Good one

It shows the true meaning of for better or worse, through sickness and in health. I pray I could be so good.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Question ?

how does a story this good , word craft so Exceptional , score so low ?

...

O .A. because it's in the LW category !!!.

.

.

i appreciate that the element that started this tale is indeed " infidelity "

however , surely this story Should be in & Deserved to have been in the Romance category .

.

bruce22bruce22over 8 years ago
Impressive Work

I admit this was one of the slowest reads I have done in a long time. The biggest cause was emotional reaction to the story. You are a fine writer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
WTF

Happened with Tim? He walks away free? At the minimum he needs a late night beating rendering him impotent. Too long of a read for so little content. Could have been done in 1 page.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
You nailed it

Many do not know what it is like, living with someone a little "off". People either over- or underreact. This is how it feels.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Well Done

Having lived with a wife with bipolar for 22 years and then she walked out, so I became a single dad.

I so understand this story. It is so real.

Most people do not understand how fragile mental health is, until they have lived with 'difficulties'.

Very good story and I feel so brave to tell it.

TwopullTwopullabout 8 years ago

I actually cried. This is beautiful writing. Made me fall in love with my wife who over again....

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Got to agree

With those comments about Tim violating his oath as a pharmacist and breaking several laws... a beat down should be the least of his woes... Jail... Loss of license.... divorce... Bankrupt... Ostracised in a small town... I could go on, but it seems he was forgotten.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
You Made Me Late

I started reading your story and could not stop.i never expected to find this caliber of writing here. I work with people who suffer with mental illness and this story reflected a lot of the selfless love that I see. It still made me cry to see that love and courage in writing. Than you

dyonysosdyonysosalmost 8 years ago
Great story

and very realistic,i know how a bipolar can be like,it sure isn't easy to live with one,i know

About tim giving her extacy,giving her placebos,he should be in jail and stripped of his license,the exctasy might have finished her brain off completly without a chance to recover

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
A very pleasant surprise

When a writer uses the formula: intro., crisis, backstory, resolution, postscript; my heart sinks at the start of the backstory, and I soon start to scroll forward to get to the resolution. Not this time. I loved every word of this story, from soup to nuts. Congratulations.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Too Damn Realistic

Great story. Too close to reality. But I think that's what makes it great.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous