No More Swedish Meatballs Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What do mean, drop the ball?" Ryan asked defensively.

"Come on Ryan. You know what I'm talking about. Do I have to spell it out for you?"

"Why don't you?" Ryan said tightly. His back was up.

"Leaving Kristen with the 'I'm old enough to have known better' routine didn't play very well."

"Well, what else could I have done?" Ryan snapped

"You could have been honest about your feelings," Leslie said with a touch of ice in her voice.

"How could I? I didn't 'honestly' know how I felt."

"That's bull. You knew before anything happened between you that you were stuck on her."

"Did I say that?" Ryan said angrily."

"Yes, actually you did. You said you'd wait for her to grow up. That was quite a declaration coming from you, with your track record little brother."

That brought Ryan up short. "I did say that, didn't I? Hell. I don't know, Leslie. I'm all twisted around. I didn't expect to fall for a high school student."

"You're going to ruin everything if you keep putting her into that package."

"There isn't anything to ruin. She's a kid under my care. I can't get involved. Heck, what would I do with her if I did get involved? Drag her around the world while I take care of business? Or maybe I should sign her up for spy lessons and she can join me in the struggle," he suggested acerbically. "I can't do that to her. Besides, she's a teenager. She has a right to have fun, get an education, and meet guys closer to her own age. She should have the house and the car and the kids, or at least the option."

"I'm not saying you should carry her off. But you didn't treat her like an equal and you owed that to her after spending the night with her. You should have talked about these things, not made up her mind for her. You treated her like a child.

"She is a child," Ryan said stubbornly.

"Now you're the one who's acting childish. What are you scared of, anyway?"

"I'm not afraid…."

"Bull. You're shaking in your boots, and you're not being honest with yourself. You don't want to let anyone in. Am I the only one who's touched your heart in your short life?"

One thing about Leslie Ryan thought ruefully, she really knew how to cut through to the sheaf.

"Oh hell, Leslie. You make me sound like such a cad. I don't want to hurt Kristen. I don't know if I have what it takes to make her happy."

"You don't have to make any earth shattering decisions right away, you know. All you have to do is open up to her. Let her in. I'll bet she'll be happy just knowing you care enough to worry about all these things. You can't build a relationship if you don't share what's going on in your head."

Ryan sighed. "I guess you're right. I'll talk to her." Having made the decision he felt better than he had in a while. He hadn't realized how much their fight had been weighing on him.

"Come for dinner tonight," Leslie suggested.

"I'll try. I have a few things to take care of first." Like figuring out what to do about Wanda and Jim, Ryan thought unhappily.

Chapter

"What do you want from me?" Jim asked Hurst tightly. "I don't know where Karl is and I'm nowhere near the kind of scientist you're looking for."

"I think you know a lot. You've been Karl's best friend for years. You know how he thinks. And if you can't lead me directly to Karl, chances are you know where Kristen is. Karl wouldn't have left Kristen out in the cold. If I can bring her in Karl will follow."

"You're wrong. I don't have any information for you." Jim looked around the office for anything he could use as a weapon.

"I'm not about to take your word for that," Hurst said gruffly. "Come out slowly from behind your desk. We're going to take a walk together to the parking lot."

The two men made their way through the hallway and out the side door. "So what are you going to do with me after you empty my brain?" Jim asked as they walked.

It was a typical work day. Everyone was in their offices. The hall was deserted. Hurst and Jim made it to Hurst's black Lincoln unimpeded.

"Where are you taking me?"

"You'll find out soon enough," Hurst said as he opened the passenger side door. He shoved Jim into the passenger's seat and then knocked him out by hitting him on the side of the head with his gun. Then he opened the glove compartment and pulled out a ball of twine which he used to tie Jim's hands.

Hurst got into the cranked the engine and headed out of the parking lot and turned left onto the country road leading to route 202 south. He figured he make it to Bethesda by sundown.

Chapter

Ryan was torn. He didn't know whether to go to Jim's house in aid of Wanda or head to Jim's office. What he really wanted to do was to go straight to Leslie's house and snatch up Kristen. But he figured time was on his side as far as Kristen was concerned. Hurst couldn't have gotten enough information to find her yet. As he mulled things over he realized Hurst would already be on the move with Jim. So Ryan got on his bike and headed towards Jim's home hoping to help Wanda. On his way he stopped at a phone booth and called for back up.

He pretty much counted on Wanda's guard being sloppy. After all the guard let Wanda get a phone call through. But he didn't want to place Wanda in more danger than necessary. As he drove he tried to come up with the best way to take out Wanda's visitor, assuming it was just one visitor. He'd never been inside the Phillip's house so he wasn't sure what he was up against.

It took forty-five minutes to get to the house. A peripheral assessment of the house and grounds showed that Wanda's visitor was working alone. Wanda was tied up in the kitchen where her captor was enjoying an early dinner.

What a pig Ryan thought disgustedly as he watched the man through the kitchen window. The man was leaving a trail of food on his shirt. The guard was overweight and sloppy. He was of medium height with blond hair and blue eyes and a spare tire around his waste which spoke of soft living. If that's the best they have to offer their brave new world is going to be a flop, he thought with malicious pleasure. It shouldn't be too hard to take him out. I have the advantage of youth and surprise. Now, how to get into the house without making any noise. Guess I'll try the obvious first. He walked around to the front door, put his hand on the knob. Unbelievable, it's not locked he thought with glee. The idiot's so complacent he didn't bother to lock the door.

An orange tabby cat ran up from behind Ryan and scooted through the door as Ryan opened it. The cat made a bee line for the kitchen.

Ryan drew his weapon as he eased himself into the house. He paused in the foyer to allow his eyes to adjust to the change in light. A minute passed. Ryan stalked down the hallway towards the kitchen.

Wanda's eyes grew large when the cat appeared in the kitchen. She'd let him out shortly before her guard arrived. Someone's here she thought. I wonder if it's friend or foe. She readied herself for the unexpected. She'd been working and worrying the bindings on her hands and was close to having her right hand free. She made a final effort and her hands were free.

The guard was startled by the cat's entrance. "Where'd you come from puss?" he asked, reaching down.

Ryan stepped into the room, gun in hand. "Stand up real slow," he said to the guard, "and put your hands over your head."

"Shit," the guard swore. He was well trained and moved fast for a man of his girth. Instead of standing he turned and dove across the room grabbing onto Wanda for cover. He went for his own gun but Ryan body blocked him and the gun went flying across the room.

Ryan had underestimated the guard's fitness. Ryan had youth and skill on his side but the guard outweighed him by at least 50 pounds. Ryan took a few hard hits. Wanda managed to free herself while Ryan and the guard grappled with each other. Her feet were asleep so she stumbled and almost fell when she stood. She made it across the kitchen and grabbed the guard's gun.

Ryan and the guard were struggling with Ryan's gun. Just as the guard was about to pull it free Wanda knocked the man as hard as she could over the head with his gun. He fell flat on his face, pinning Ryan to the floor.

"Good going, Wanda," Ryan said as he pushed the man off him. He rubbed his sore knuckles ruefully.

"I guess you got my message. Thanks for coming so quickly," Wanda replied. She picked up one of the ropes she'd been tied with. "We should tie him up before he wakes up. Do you want to do the honors?"

"Yeah. I was a boy scout. I'm pretty good with knots," he said as he set about the task.

Reaction to the events of the past few hours suddenly set in for Wanda. She started to tremble. "What the hell's going on Ryan?" she asked tremulously. What's happened to Jim?" She started to cry. Silent tears flowed down her cheeks. "Are you going to be able to catch up with him?"

Ryan looked at her helplessly. "I don't know sweetheart. We've got a team working on it but it's not going to be easy. I have to call for someone to pick up our friend here. Why don't you make some tea? We can talk after I get off the phone. Okay?"

"Okay," she said, sniffling a bit.

Ryan made his call from the phone in the living room. Afterward he returned to the kitchen to talk to Wanda. He decided she deserved to know everything. It wouldn't be easy for her to know what Jim was in for but he couldn't see any way to sugar coat the truth.

"What's of most concern is Jim's knowledge of the Guardians' infrastructure. I don't know if they're smart enough to know what questions to ask. But with the technology used these days for interrogation they'll be able to extract whatever information Jim has if they know what they're looking for."

"Oh God, are they going to torture him?"

"I don't think they'll have to. There are drugs that make most people susceptible to questioning. "

Now that Wanda was safe he was getting antsy to get Kristen to safety. "I don't know what else to tell you Wanda. I wish I could ride off on a white horse and get Jim back for you. But I can't. We don't know where Jim is but we know where there are safe houses within a day's drive. We have people on it. We'll do the best we can."

"God damn it. That's not good enough," Wanda said angrily.

"It's the best I can do," Ryan replied.

The whistling tea kettle interrupted their conversation. Wanda went to the stove and poured hot water into the two cups she put out a few minutes earlier.

"So what do I tell my kids? Sorry, Dad's been abducted by evil white supremacists? You'll probably never see him again? Mark is going to be home at 6:00. What'll I tell him when he asks me about my day? 'Oh, nothing interesting. I was just held up by a gun toting neo-Nazi and by the way they have your father."

"I don't know Wanda. It's your call. Jim knew the risks when he went undercover. He made a choice. He's a courageous man. Don't denigrate him."

"And don't you talk to me like he's dead already. You get him back. Do you hear me? Just get him back."

Ryan sighed. "We'll do everything in our power to save him. That's all I can promise you."

Wanda handed Ryan a tea cup. She wanted to throw the hot water into Ryan's face. "What do you take with your tea?" she asked through gritted teeth.

"Milk and sugar."

Wanda reached into the refrigerator for the milk carton and brought it and the sugar bowl to the table. Then she returned to the stove and stood sipping tea and fighting tears.

"Wanda," Ryan said gently as he poured milk and sugar into his tea cup, "why don't you sit and try to calm down. You've been through a lot today. You have to pull yourself together. At least for Mark's sake. Look," he said, "Do you have a piece pf paper and pencil? I'll give you a number where I can be reached. I'll keep you informed about our efforts to find Jim. Okay?"

Wanda opened her junk drawer and pulled out a tablet of paper and a ball point pen. "Keep me informed. Like my husband kept me informed all these years" she said bitterly as she handed them to him. Ryan scribbled a number on the first page of the tablet.

"Identify yourself when you call this number. Leave a message and I'll get back to you right away." Ryan said as he slurped his tea.

Wanda ran out of steam. She sat down heavily at the table. "I just don't know how I'm going to get through this," she said sadly.

"Don't give up hope." Ryan winced inwardly at the platitude.

The doorbell chimed and they both jumped. "That'll be the clean up crew," He looked over at Wanda's 'visitor' who was still unconscious. "You really decked him," he said, his voice warm with approval.

"I'll get the door," Wanda said.

"No. Stay put. I'll get it."

Ryan opened the front door for three agents dressed as plumbers. Their van was parked at the curb. Ryan directed the men to the kitchen. Two of the men picked up the man, carted him to the van and were gone within 5 minutes. The third was assigned to stay with Wanda and Mark.

"Well, that's done," Ryan said. "And now I've got to go. I have to find a place to stash Kristen until I can set her up at school."

"Jesus, what a mess. Do you really think they'll go after her?"

"Yes, I do," Ryan said.

"What about Lizzy and Ned?"

"They'll be given new identities and transferred to new schools."

"Hell. So what do you think happened to Karl?" Wanda asked. "Does the Cabal have him?"

"I don't think so. It looks more like he just took off."

"What the hell was he thinking? What's wrong with him? Didn't he consider the consequences?"

"No. I don't think he did. He was angry and scared. He's been pushed and pulled a lot between the Cabal and the Company. He didn't know who to trust when he learned about the Guardians. It's really my fault," Ryan admitted ruefully. "I should have stayed with him."

"And if he refused to go with you what would you have done? Kidnap him?"

"No. I guess not. I don't know what I'd have done if he'd refused. I should have had a plan. Damn it all," Ryan swore in exasperation, "I just don't know how to be diplomatic."

"Well maybe Karl will come around. He might just have needed some time and space to mull things over. Maybe he'll be in touch."

"I hope so. I hope he's holed up somewhere unpredictable. I have a feeling Jim knows most of Karl's favorite places. I doubt if Karl took into account the possibility of Jim or his kids being snatched. Hell, you probably know Karl's places too. Do you have any ideas as to where he might be?"

"Honestly, no. I don't have a clue." Wanda paused a moment to think. "Maybe one of the family campgrounds he used to take the kids to. But he could be anywhere. Tell you what. I'll make a list of the places I know Karl's been to over the past few years. He's a very resourceful man. He's going to be hard to find."

"And he has his research with him," Ryan said with frustration in his voice. "Or maybe he stashed it somewhere. Kristen might know. That's why I've got to get to her and get her to safety."

That and the fact I can't stop thinking about her and the night we shared. I really blew it with her afterwards. I've got a lot of bridges to mend with that girl.

"Well, I wish you luck. Thanks again for coming to my rescue. So go on and get Kristen to a safe place. Give her my love. She's like a daughter to me. All those Christmases we shared! Did she tell you about them?"

"No. I barely know her. We haven't had a chance to exchange childhood memories."

"Oh. Somehow I got the sense that you and she were…. But no. Of course you just met her."

"That's right. But she's quite a girl, isn't she?" Ryan commented as he stood to take his leave. "Take care, Wanda. I'll be in touch about Jim." As he walked down the hall and out the front door he pondered the fact that Wanda picked up on his feelings for Kristen. Christ, I'm wearing my heart on my sleeve over the girl.

It was a hot, sticky afternoon. Ryan looked forward to the drive to Germantown to cool himself off. He loved driving. He drove as fast as he thought he could get away with on his way to his sister's house. When the odometer crept up towards seventy he'd slow it down, thankful there were no cops around. One more speeding ticket and he'd have his license revoked. It was getting on towards evening when Ryan arrived at Leslie's home. He rang the doorbell and waited. After a couple of minutes he rang again. Kristen opened the door. She couldn't help giving him a bright welcoming smile. It was just so darn good to see him. Then she remembered she was angry with him and scowled.

"So. Look who's turned up," she said with a frown. Leslie hadn't warned her that Ryan was coming. She was completely discombobulated by his sudden appearance. "I thought you were long gone."

"It's nice to see you, too," Ryan said with a wry grin. Good Lord, she's fetching. She looks so good. Kristen was wearing very short cut off blue jeans and a halter top. The outfit left little to the imagination. Ryan couldn't stop himself from raking her with his eyes.

Kristen didn't miss a beat, although her heart was in her throat. "What are you doing here old man?" Kristen asked meanly. "I thought you were out doing your spy thing. Saving the world and all."

"Give it a rest, Kristen," Ryan said heavily as he walked into the foyer. "I'm sorry I hurt you. But we've got to set aside our feelings for a while. We need to talk."

"You're damn right we do."

"I don't mean about 'us," Ryan said with a sigh. "Come into the living room with me. I have to fill you in on what's been going on over the past week."

"Damn it, Ryan," Kristen said hotly as they passed through the hallway, "ever since we were together you've avoided talking about 'us.' With you it's always about the Cabal or the Company or your blasted Order. You're hiding behind your 'duty' and 'what's right,' and I've had enough of it. If you're not willing to talk about 'us' I'm not willing to talk to you at all." Kristen was furious and near to tears. And through her tirade she felt the magnetic pull towards Ryan so strongly that half of her wanted to just leap into his arms.

Ryan felt the pull as well. Dear God, I feel like I've been bewitched. He wanted her so badly the ache in his groin and his soul was almost unbearable. But I've got to keep my head. I've screwed things up enough as it is.

"Alright," he said. "Let's talk about us."

"Are we really going to talk about our feelings?" Kristen said in an angry rush, "or are you just going to give me the line that 'you should have been more responsible and that I'm too young to know what I want and there's a whole world out there waiting for me?'"

Ryan was at a loss for words. "Well, it's true…." he blurted out.

"No it isn't. It's bull. Look me in the eye and tell me that our sleeping together was a mistake. If you can do that, well maybe I'll accept that I was just a one night stand for you."

"Jesus, Kristen," Ryan sputtered. "I'm not going to…."

"I mean it." Kristen grabbed Ryan's wrist and peered intently into his eyes. She used all of her power to make him see and feel the strength of the bond that had already formed between them. "Say it," she urged, "or give it up."

Ryan was caught like a beetle in amber. He couldn't form the words. He knew their coupling wasn't a mistake and that they were firmly bound together for good or ill.

Kristen's eyes were ages old pools of green fire. Ryan became lost in their light. Something deep inside of him melted as they stood there, eyes locked. "I can't say it," he said. "I'm totally lost in you. I was the moment I met you. It's like you're a part of me I never knew I was missing until I found you."

Kristen made a sound which was half-laugh, half sob as she melted into him. Joining him was like slipping on a long-lost, much loved garment, or coming home after a long, hard voyage.

1...56789...14