No More Swedish Meatballs Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Leslie watched the pair banter back and forth like a couple of school children. Kristen's really good for him. I haven't seen him so relaxed since he was little.

Kristen looked at Leslie with a mock serious expression on her face. "Do you want to get stoned?"

Leslie looked shocked for a second. It was the last thing she expected the two of them to come up with. But then again, she'd gotten quite a glimpse of Kristen's adventurous spirit over the past week. She started to chuckle. "This little girl is going to lead you down the path to perdition, if you're not careful Ryan. Sure, why not. Let's get smoke some weed. I take it you have some Kristen. Or do you want me to go out to the garden and pick some?"

"Leslie!" Ryan was stunned.

Leslie burst out laughing. "Oh God. You believed me."

Kristen joined in the laughter and the two of them laughed 'til they cried. Ryan shook his head, bemused. "You two are incorrigible. I ought to turn you into the law. No. You'd just talk your way out of it. You should be spanked." Ryan wasn't sure which of the two deserved what.

Kristen was still giggling as she skipped up the stairs to get her stash.

As she left the room Leslie and Ryan started to speak at once.

"I didn't know you…." Ryan sputtered.

"I always thought you were so serious," Leslie said in amazement. "I never imagined…."

They both started to chuckle and were still laughing when Kristen rejoined them in the living room. She held out a bag which contained about a half-ounce of pungent green herb. She also had a small pipe and some wooden kitchen matches. "Fresh from Mexico" she said. "Maybe I should save these matches for tomorrow night. Leslie, do you have any?"

"Yeah. I'll get some. And some candles."

Kristen set about to pack the pipe. "You're quite the little expert at that," Ryan said trying to look disapproving but failing.

Ryan was no stranger to the drug culture. It was 1971. The "Age of Aquarius. High school kids from Albany to Kalamazoo had been tuned in and turned on to pot and psychedelic drugs for almost a decade. Ryan had come of age during the height of the era of sex, drugs and rock and roll. He turned 18 in 1965, just in time for Viet Nam. He'd avoided the draft by staying in school. Like thousands of kids he'd applied to Berkeley, North Eastern, Antioch, and a number of other progressive colleges. He decided on North Eastern where he majored in political science and spent some time protesting the war. He became a conscientious objector in 1967 which was his first step on the path that led him to the Guardians.

He'd been sickened by the War Machine which led so many men of his age into the unwinnable quagmire of death and destruction. But he couldn't stomach socialist knee jerk liberalism and thought the radical dissidents were almost as bad as the people they were protesting against. So he stayed away from the Yippies and the SDS. He became disenchanted with 'the Movement' and began experimenting with pot and LSD. He started a downward spiral and might have made a mess of his life but one of his teachers picked up on his intuitive understanding of the hypocritical underbelly of American politics. Xavier Gerand, a well noted sociology professor was a guardian and became Ryan's mentor. He also taught martial arts and got Ryan into Tai Chi, Eastern Philosophy, and "The Art of War," Ryan was thirsty for knowledge and felt like he'd finally found an approach to life that made sense. He was inducted him into the Guardians in his senior year. By the time he graduated his mind and body were well tuned for the work ahead.

He got a job with the Red Cross after graduation which sent him to Viet Nam where he got some hands on experience infiltrating the CIA which was deeply involved with the Company's dirty work in Southeast Asia. He caught pneumonia in the winter of 1970 and was shipped to Seoul to recover. He lost the job at the Red Cross and ended up in Hong Cong where he got a taste of the international banking industry. He'd just gotten back to the states when he was assigned to the scientist project.

"How long have you been smoking pot?" Ryan asked.

"About a year. I got into this band that plays after school. I'm their singer. I'm great at improvising harmonies. Make yourself useful," she said imperiously. "Find some music will you. Beatles would be my choice. If you're lucky I might sing for you."

"Your wish is my command," Ryan said making a little mock bow towards Kristen as he walked over to peruse Leslie's album collection. He found Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and spent a few minutes fiddling with Leslie's stereo system. The familiar music filled the room bringing a smile to Kristen's face.

Leslie returned. They lit the candles and turned the lights down low. Kristen handed the pipe to Leslie. "I'll let you do the honors," she said and started to sing 'I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in…."

Leslie took the pipe and flicked her Bic. The sweet, distinctive smell of marijuana soon filled the room. The scented candles gave the room a restful orange glow. They passed the pipe, each taking in a long, hot toke and holding it in for a bit and then exhaling and pausing to give their lungs a rest. After the pipe went around twice Kristen started to hum and harmonize with the music. The energy in the room, which had been almost manic a few moments ago became soft and mellow. Kristen refilled the pipe while Leslie and Ryan chatted about the past.

"I thought you'd kill me if you knew I smoked pot when I was in college," Ryan said. "I never thought you'd indulge."

"Why not?" Leslie asked, somewhat affronted. "Was I such an old witch to you that you thought I couldn't let my hair down?"

"Oh, no. Nothing like that," Ryan demurred. "You were always great with me. But you were pretty much a mother figure and mothers don't smoke pot."

"This mother does," Leslie said, starting to giggle. "This is pretty good weed. Where'd you get it?" She asked Kristen.

"From one of the guys in my band."

"A boyfriend?" Ryan asked, suddenly jealous. He hated the thought of Kristen being involved with some stoned-out musician.

"No," Kristen replied. "Well, kind of for a few months. We're just friends now. He got into some kind of heavy stuff and I backed off. He thinks he's a wheeler-dealer, but he's really going to get into trouble one of these days. He's just a kid and he takes too much acid. If he ever has kids they'll probably have three heads or something." She started to giggle at the thought.

"That's terrible," Leslie laughed. Then she sobered for a moment. "Did you do a lot of tripping with him?"

"Not a lot. A little bit goes a very long way with me. One time I was sure I was reading peoples minds and I got very paranoid. I didn't like what they were thinking. We were at this party and everyone was tripping. One of the girls mixed it with too much wine and really went loopy. They guys were all thinking about what sexual acts they could perform on her. I got her out of there real fast. I made Joey take us to my house and I smuggled her in. I called her parents and told them I was having a slumber party. I spent the rest of the night talking her down. It's a good thing Lizzy was away at college. She would have blown the whistle on me. Hey," Kristen said. "Can we call Lizzy and Ned? I really miss them."

"I'm not sure where they are right now," Ryan said uncomfortably. "With all that's been happening…. Remember? We talked about it. They're safe and they know where you are."

"Oh. That's okay then. I wonder where dad is," she said mournfully. "I hope he's okay."

Ryan put his arms around Kristen and Leslie got up to put on another album. Strains of "White Bird" by It's a Beautiful Day filled the room.

"Oh. I love this album," Kristen said cheered. Leslie and Kristen started singing. They were starting to mellow out again and jumped when the telephone rang.

"That's gotta be the O'Leary's," Kristen said.

Leslie pulled herself up off the floor and ran for the phone. She picked up the receiver. It was Mr. O'Leary. He had a few questions and wanted to talk to Ryan. He wasn't as enthusiastic as his wife about their plan. He wanted to know exactly what they might be up against.

Leslie and Kristen got an attack of the munchies and headed for the kitchen. They eavesdropped as they sat eating ice cream with spoons out of the container. They looked at each other worriedly as Ryan did his best to convince Rita's father of both the importance and the relative safety of their proposition. He won O'Leary over with the promise that Rita's brother would be Rita's make believe boyfriend. Then Tom got on the phone and the final plans were made. Tom was as enthusiastic as Rita and thought the whole thing would be a lark especially since he had a lot of buddies at the fire department. He liked the thought of putting one over on them. Tom and Rita were instructed to take turns watching the Hansen house tomorrow to get a fix on the surveillance. Rita was sure she'd already pinpointed a phony telephone repair van. Tom and Rita would joint Kristen, Leslie and Ryan at the Burger King on Lincoln Highway in Paoli at nine thirty. Tom and Rita would use Leslie's car to go "parking" so the car wouldn't be identified. They'd leave the Burger King at 9:45 to be in place a little before ten. A few minutes later Kristen and Ryan would slip through the neighborhood on foot and find a hiding place in the woods which connected the two streets of the cul de sac about a block away to wait for the fire.

Leslie started to feel left out. Then she had an idea. "Wouldn't it be better if I necked with Tom, and Rita hid in the back seat while we drive up? There'd be less of chance of her being spotted when she slips out of the car."

"You're right," Kristen agreed. "And Tom will like it a lot better than pretending to neck with his little sister. Yuck." Kristen started to get the giggles again. "You'll have fun, too. Tom's hunky."

"He is? How old did you say he was?"

"22."

"Well, at least I won't be breaking any laws," she said pointedly, giving Ryan a cheeky look. "Unlike some people."

Ryan glared at her and continued his conversation with Tom. Then Rita got on the phone and they started discussing her role. At 10:00 she'd slip out of the car under cover of dark and into the Hansen's yard. There was a lot of vegetation so she would have a lot of cover on her way to the blue spruce. She'd have her supplies in the little back pack she used for her school books. Rita knew how to build a fire. There was a thick carpet of dry pine needles under the tree branches which would catch fire quickly. She'd add corrugated card board and some ply wood for good measure. A little lighter fluid and a couple of matches. The tree would be blazing in no time.

"Let me talk to Rita for a minute," Kristen said, grabbing the phone from Ryan. "Make sure to get the heck out of there fast," Kristen ordered Rita. "Don't stick around to make sure it really catches. I'll kill you if you get hurt. Or caught."

"I won't get caught," Rita said confidently. "How many time have we played hide and seek after dark in your yard? It'll be just like that."

Kristen laughed. "Remember the time we snuck out of the basement in the middle of the night and went to the train station?"

"Yeah. We teased that drunk and he chased us with his car all the way back to your house. We hid in the bushes for an hour after he left. I was so scared I wet myself."

"Make sure you go to the bathroom before you leave tomorrow," Kristen advised.

"Hell, I was only 9 then. I'm not going to pee myself."

"I know. I was just kidding. I'm gonna put Ryan back on the line. See you tomorrow night."

Ryan took the receiver and continued discussing the plan. After Rita set the fire she was to run through the back yards to the neighbors two doors down and call the fire department. From there she was to take the back way to the Burger King. The fire department was just on the other side of the railroad bridge. They'd be able to respond in a matter of minutes so Kristen and Ryan would have to move fast. Once they saw the blaze they'd make their way to the cellar door and check out Karl's secret room and the safe. They'd be in and out in a matter of minutes and take the short cut to the O'Leary's, through the woods between the houses. Tom would take off when he saw the fire and drive back towards Paoli. Once they were out of the neighborhood Leslie would drop him off and he'd stroll up to the Hansen's and join his buddies. He'd be able to keep an eye out for trouble. He knew what to do if anything went wrong. Leslie would drive to the Burger King to wait for Kristen and Ryan. She didn't like that part. She didn't want to be left out of the action but she might be noticed if she drove to the O'Leary's especially if the surveillance team became suspicious.

It's a good plan, Ryan thought after they finished the phone call. It's a dangerous plan and I'm using kids, his conscience nagged. He looked at Kristen worriedly. "I'm still not sure we should do this. I'll never forgive myself if anything goes wrong."

"Nothing will go wrong. Rita and I ducked the police every Mischief Night for six years. We spent hours playing spy games after dark every summer. The neighborhood was made for espionage. You'll feel better when you've seen the lay out," she reassured him. "Mr. O'Leary wouldn't have given the go ahead if he thought there was any risk. He's a real worry wart."

Leslie let out a great yawn. The pot had worn off and she was sleepy. She got up from the couch and stretched. "I'm tuckered out. Don't stay up too late you guys. And don't forget to blow out the candles."

"I'm kind of wired," Ryan said. I think I'll take a run. Do you want to go with me?" he asked Kristen.

"No. I think I'll just sit on the porch and watch the stars for a while. It's a nice night."

Ryan went upstairs to change into shorts and Kristen blew out the candles and wandered out into the moon light. She took the pipe with her and had a couple more tokes to smooth things out. She had a lot to think about.

It was peaceful out on the porch. The stars were out and the air was fresh with the scent of newly cut grass, moist earth and roses. The melancholy sound of a freight train in the distance soothed Kristen's frayed nerves. It was one of her favorite sounds. A childhood lullaby. Kristen had always felt connected to the railroad which was so close to the house where she grew up. As she sat starring at the sky she thought about times when she and the neighborhood gang played in the school yard and on the bluff overlooking the tracks in Paoli. In later years she and Joey had occasionally hung out around the tracks. There were little huts along side the tracks to protect passengers from the weather as they waited for the longer cross country trains which used to run through Paoli. The huts were rarely used. They'd climb up on their roof out of sight of the station master. It was a nice, safe place to get high and neck and get away from the world for a while.

What a strange twist my life has taken. I wonder where I'll be this time next year. This may be the last time I see the O'Learys for a while. Kristen started to feel lonely and a little sorry for herself. Then she remembered the connection she felt to Ryan and Leslie. It's like I've always known them. And Ryan! So complicated. Part tough guy, part little boy. And then he turns around and tries to act like my father. How can he think I want a 'stable home' and kids and a cat. Not likely! I'm gonna make him let me join the Guardians. I want to find Dad and then spend some time getting to know Ryan. I'll go to school like everyone wants but I'm damned if I'm going to be put into a suburban housewife mold. I've never really wanted that.

Chapter

Ryan slipped out of the house quietly and started to jog at a slow, even pace. As he warmed up he pushed himself harder. He wanted to be sure he was in fighting form for tomorrow night. The night air was warm and sultry. He was sweating heavily within a few blocks but his wind was good. The neighborhood was hilly and the run was challenging. He paced himself well, letting the tension ease out of his shoulders and neck as he ran. There was little traffic on the street. He watched his shadow jog beside him waiting for the runners' high to kick in. He ran all the way down to the river – about two miles he figured. Then he took to the foot path for a while. He got lost in thought and auto pilot kicked in. He ran like a strong and powerful machine. He felt like he could go on for hours. He turned back after another two miles along the riverside taking long, firm strides back towards Leslie's home. Eight miles was nothing. He'd trained for marathons in college and at 24 he was in prime condition.

Kristen was asleep in her chair on the porch when he got back to the house, curled up and snoring lightly like a contented kitten. So young and untroubled. I wish I could sleep like that, Ryan thought. He watched her as he did some tai chi to cool down. He decided to indulge in a glass of cold, white wine after he finished. When he came back from the kitchen he sat in the chair next to Kristen and looked out at the night, willing himself not to think about tomorrow. What am I going to do with you Kristen? he wondered. There's no denying the connection we have. And I know you won't let me stash you somewhere safe so you can have a normal life. I guess I'd better start thinking about training. But not yet. You're so young. He didn't want her to see the ugliness of the world. He wanted things to be fun and easy for her. But he knew Kristen would never take the easy way out. She was like him – willful and pigheaded. He had a sudden flash of precognition. You and I are going to have quite a time together he realized.

Chapter

Jim hadn't had an easy time of it. He woke up with a headache from the blow Hurst gave him when he got into the car. His hands were tied and he was car sick. The situation was just plain crappy. He tried to stifle a groan. Hurst heard him.

"So you're awake. Welcome back to the world," Hurst said

"Go to hell," Jim replied. "This is stupid. I don't know anything."

"You don't expect me to take your word for it do you? Why don't you just sit back and relax?"

"Yeah, sure, I'll relax. Enjoy the drive and anticipate a pleasant little chat with your goons.

"Shut up."

"Yeah, you're a real piece of work. Do you really buy all that 'New World Order' garbage? What are they offering you when they take over? A piece of the rock? How many people do you have to step on to get it Hurst?"

Hurst laughed. "You're so stupid. You just don't realize. The new order is already a done deal. We're just settling in. In a couple of decades it's going to unfold like flawless linen. We'll be everywhere.

"If that's true, why are you so desperate to find Karl and the other scientists who've slipped through your sticky little fingers?"

"They're a minor glitch. We need them to stay on schedule. But if we don't get them, we'll find others that can grasp the technology."

"What is it that you're looking for anyway? That's what I've never been able to figure out. Is it information technology? Weaponry? A space race? Alternative fuels? What is it you're after?"

"You can't begin to comprehend the enormity of what we're about," Hurst sneered.

"Sure I can. We've been dogging your heels for centuries. Every time you think you have the world sewn up something happens and it slips through your fingertips. It happened to the Third Reich and it's happening now with your scientists. You're losing it." It felt good to pelt Hurst with venomous words. It was all he had left.

1...7891011...14