Out of the Shadows Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I can't agree to that." Darius explained. "The thing is I froze, Cynthia. When I heard about the shooting and realized you and Kerrie were in danger, I froze."

"Dar-" Cynthia started to say, but he stopped her.

"It's nothing either of you did, but what if we were in a firestorm. If you were in danger while we were on a mission, I'd do anything I could to protect you, as well as any other person on the team, but you especially." Darius inhaled thinking of the ramifications that these recent events revealed. He needed to see if the women could be taken off the team. They'd be angry and hate him, but at least they'd be a lot safer.

"I know we both have a commitment here, but I'm asking you to request permission to leave the team. After your shoulder heals, see if they can station you stateside."

Cynthia stared at him, anger feuding with disbelief. Then, he sat by the bed and held her hand tightly. He kissed her knuckles and she saw the tears. Darius could not hide his tears any longer.

She knew he loved her and his worse fear was almost realized."Come here." She whispered, and he climbed in bed beside her and held her close. He lay there until the nurse came in to check her vitals, then he started to move. But the nurse told him he was fine and could stay where he was.

Meanwhile, Kerrie found out that Lieutenant Garner and Lieutenant Manson would make a full recovery. They were lucky. On that faithful day, six people, including the gunman died.

Both men were still unconscious, so she didn't stay long. However, when she sat with Lieutenant Garner, she thought about his question.

He was a handsome man, and she had no idea of how he felt. She had a small crush on him, but tried to keep her feelings under wraps. She never knew he found her remotely attractive, and was surprised by his declaration.

She had to serve five years, and she knew she wanted to be near this handsome psychiatrist. She just hoped the team, her family, could forgive her for deciding to do something less strenuous.

So she hoped that when he woke up, he'd remember the things he'd said. Because, she wanted to say YES!

Mysha was released, but she made sure to give Cynthia her numbers, address, and invited her to visit. Darius and the rest of the team were happy that she had a chance to reconnect with her family.

Meanwhile in Washington, Major Rick Folgers was facing a conundrum. Major Folgers was instrumental in forming the elite squad. Standing before him, in attention, was the man he'd assigned to put this team together, Sergeant Robert Bull. He knew when he told Sergeant Bull his decision, he would be upset.

But after the shooting and witnessing the effect of it on the squad, Major Folgers started to rethink this endeavor. He had to pull a lot of strings to create an elite squad that had both men and women on it.

However, theory and reality were two different things. So far the team had not faced any real challenges, but when the two women were in danger. The team was rendered useless.

"Sergeant Bull, at ease." Major Folgers ordered.

"Sergeant Bull, I wanted to tell you before anyone else." He took a deep breath. "I'm disbanding the elite squad. We're forming a new group, and we'll inform the soldiers later in a conference meeting when they return to their bases.

Sergeant Bull was ticked, "Sir, if I may speak freely. Why are you doing this? Those kids worked hard. Sir." These kids worked hard to make this team. They'd survived hell and worse. This was a chance for them and this man was snatching this chance from them. That was not right. He didn't have the right to play with their lives like this.

"Sergeant, they are too close. The team almost imploded when the two women were in danger. If that happens on a mission, they could get killed. You trained them, helped them bond, but they are too dependent on each other and that makes them each a liability." He explained.

"I'm recommending that they be allowed to continue with their current areas of study and just serve the mandatory tour of duty. At the end of their first five years they can reenlist if they choose."

"Wait, Sir, these kids had special circumstances. Joining the squad was conditional that they would have certain benefits." Sergeant Bull interjected. He promised these kids he'd take care of things for them and he planned to keep his word.

"I am well aware of their past and how they ended up here." Major Folgers walked over and looked out of the window. "You think you're the only person here that cares about those kids."

"Those six kids epitomize what the army is about." Major Folgers said with pride. "Were you aware the Officer Masters and Officer Knicks were in the shooters direct line of fire?"

"They should have died, but not only did they survive. They made sure Lieutenant Manson and Garner got medical help. Officer Tate was about to go in without clearance to search for his fallen team mates. Officer Stephens and Sanchez held it together to help Granger. Officer Granger pulled himself back together after almost falling apart twice." Major Folgers stopped speaking for a moment contemplating.

Then he continued, "In that moment, they were all vulnerable. On the field, that close connection makes them a liability. So, I have decided to eliminate the team."

Sergeant Bull and Major Folgers decided to inform the team of their decision as soon as possible. So they arranged a meeting with Cynthia and Kerrie attending through a conference call.

Back at the hospital not aware that major changes were about to occur in their lives, Darius held Cynthia close. He never wanted to let her go again.

Darius had actually fallen asleep. Soon, Derrick came in search of his brother and refused to wake him. He and Cynthia talked.

"Hey, Cynthia. Girl, I'm glad you're alright. You scared everyone to death." Derrick said as he greeted her.

Cynthia smiled, "I'm sorry. Next time, I'll order the guy not to shoot." She said jokingly.

"NO! There will not be a next time." Darius interjected, shuddering at the thought of her getting hurt.

"Hey, you finally woke up." Derrick teased, honestly he was concerned about Darius. He was proud of his brother, but he knew this was a lot to take.

"Yea, guess I was tired." Darius explained.

Derrick's phone rang and he stepped out, giving Darius and Cynthia time alone.

"Darius, I love you." Cynthia whispered as she held him. Darius needed to hear those words. He needed her.

Darius stayed with Cynthia all day. Derrick decided to stay one extra day to make sure Darius was fine and then he'd head home.

The next day, Darius and the team were told they could stay for a few days, but at the end of the week they needed to report to Major Folgers office.

The team spent the next few days with Cynthia and Kerrie. Derrick went home with promises to hug everyone and relay messages that they were fine. Cynthia and Kerrie called and talked to Marge and Marvin. Both girls felt overwhelmed at the amount of love they received from the older couple. They never wanted to cause them a moment of concern again.

Cynthia and Kerrie were moving into a rehabilitation facility within a week. Cynthia was allowed time for her shoulder to heal before beginning therapy to regain usage of the muscles. Kerri, because of the trauma she'd suffered was assigned to therapy to talk about what happened. Cynthia had to go to therapy too.

When the team reported back to base without Kerrie or Cynthia, they reported to Major Folgers's office. Major Folgers along with Sergeant Bull informed them that the elite squad was no more. They then explained to the four young soldiers what their new assignments would be.

"Excuse me, Sir." Darius spoke up. He'd gone through hell to be a part of this group. There were benefits to being part of the group. "Can you explain why? Is this something you all just decided or has this been on the table for a while?"

"Officer Granger, you six soldiers are the best in your area, but you have one weakness." He explained. "That weakness is each other."

"With all due respect, Major Folgers" Horse interjected angrily. "We almost lost them. Do you expect us not to care about each other?"

"No, Officer Tate. You are supposed to be concerned just not rendered useless." Major Folgers explained.

"Sir, we've trained for months. There were conditions in place. If we're not part of the squad, what will happen to us." Danny said. He wanted to go to college and be able to take care of his grandmother.

Maria was silent, because even though she should have been upset, she was relieved. She didn't want to do it. She wanted to continue to work in computers and technology. She didn't say anything and now she didn't have to.

Major Folgers saw the relief in Maria's eyes and knew he'd made the right choice.

Officers, I've talked with Sergeant Bull and I'm aware of your circumstances. The conditions offered to you will be honored, as long as you finish out the first five years of service.

The team should have been devastated, but after the past few days they were relieved. Darius wanted to call Cynthia immediately, but she was in the hospital, and she would call as soon as she was settled in and could get to a phone.

Several weeks later, Cynthia and Kerrie were going stir-crazy being confined in the treatment center. That afternoon, Kerrie and Cynthia decided to give each other some space. Kerrie sat on the sofa reading a book, when one of the workers called Cynthia to the phone.

"Hello." She answered.

"Hey beautiful, I needed to hear your voice." He replied.

Cynthia's heart melted. She couldn't believe how important this man was to her.

"Oh Darius, I miss you so much." She whispered.

"I miss you to. So, your final visit with the therapist is Monday."

"Yea, and he'll let me know my results and then we'll see if I can continue my training." Cynthia said.

Darius smiled, but it was bittersweet. Part of him wanted to see her so badly, but he didn't want her in danger. He was glad the team had been eliminated because it meant that she was out of danger. He also knew that when she went into full medical training they'd be a part even longer. However, she wanted to become a medic and he wanted that for her as well.

"Cynthia," Darius took a breath, "I love you. You know that right."

"I know," she whispered. "I love you too."

Cynthia smile; she was secure in his love for her. He wanted her with him, but they had a commitment to serve five full years. He knew that at the end of this tour, he'd have to find a way for them to be together.

Kerrie was reassigned to a veteran's hospital. At first they thought they'd lose her, but she was still a part of their family. She called just as much the other team members to check in.

Cynthia decided to extend her studies and become a medic. Lieutenant Manson was her mentor.

Horse decided to become an Army Ranger, so he was about to report for training when he saw something that made his eyeballs pop out. Danny had a new friend named Jonathan and they did everything together. One day, Horse accidentally caught Jon and Danny in a compromising position. It was at this point that Danny told his friends his big secret.

"Whew, I knew you were keeping something. Danny, you are our brother. We'd never turn on you." Horse sighed upset that Danny thought they'd hurt him.

Darius looked at his friend. Danny knew he wanted to say something. But he didn't, he hugged his friend. "Jon's a lucky man." He whispered.

Then to Jon, Darius said "Congratulations, man. He's a great guy. You're very lucky that he chose you."

Danny was relieved. There were no angry words, no hate filled rants. They stood by him. Darius and Horse accepted him and that was all he needed. Jon held him close and told him that he loved him. He loved Jon. He never thought he'd meet someone, but he'd found the perfect man for him.

Now he had to let him meet the girls and get their stamp of approval. But it didn't matter, because Jon was his and he was the one he'd choose regardless.

Cynthia had to bite the inside if her cheek when Darius called with the news that Danny was gay. He wasn't mad about him being gay, but that he thought he and Horse would turn on him. So, Danny finally came out and he was alright.

Cynthia was happy for Danny. If Jonathan made him feel an ounce of the way she and Darius felt about each other, then Danny was a lucky man.

She started to call Kerrie, but she was out on a date with Dr. Garner. So she called Maria. Horse had just left and she knew that Maria might be feeling down.

The phone rang.

"Hello." Maria answered.

"Hey stranger, Long time no see." Cynthia greeted her friend. "I know Horse reported to training. Are you alright?" She queried.

"I'm amazed at how much I miss him. Cynthia, I love that big lug, and I didn't realize how much until now." Maria answered. Cynthia's heart broke for her friend, but there was nothing she could say.

"Listen, he'll be back and then hopefully, we can find a way for all of us to at least be near each other." Cynthia whispered.

"God, I'll be so happy when he comes back. He needs this, you know. His dream is to become a Ranger." Maria sighed. "I'm so proud of him. I just miss him so much and it's only been one day."

Cynthia laughed. "I understand. So you're going into computer development and programming. I'm gonna be a doctor and Kerrie's a nurse. What happened to those kickass women we were last year. We're all domesticated."

"Maria laughed. "We proved that we're tough and can survive. We don't have to prove it anymore and can just live. I, for one, love being out of danger."

"You're right girl. I talked to Kerrie. She has decided to go after Dr. Dreamboat. Now, you've seen Garner, the man is good looking. Baby girl has good taste." Cynthia interjected.

"Hmmm. True, but he doesn't hold a candle to my man. Damn, I miss Horace Tate." Maria said.

"My man, Darius, is fine as hell. Damn, that boy is fine!," laughing she added. "I'll be glad when it's just the two of us. Damn, I miss that hard headed man."

Both women laughed, "Girl, we're branded. Hmm, never thought I'd see the day."Maria added chuckling.

"Guess what. Darius called to inform me that Danny is gay. Cynthia added laughing. "He was ticked that Danny thought he'd hurt him."

"I know, I had to hold my stomach when I talked to Horse. He caught Danny and his new boyfriend kissing." Maria couldn't stop laughing. "I keep picturing my red-necked boyfriend walking in on two guys making out. Oh, he didn't care about the being gay part, just that Danny didn't really trust him. But they talked and they are alright now."

"Does Kerrie know he finally told them?" Maria asked.

"I don't think so unless Danny called. Let's call her tomorrow on three way and then we can talk." Cynthia suggested.

The two women chatted a little longer and then realizing the time, hung up.

Cynthia ended the call with her friend and felt a little better. So she lay back on her pillows and rested. And then fell asleep dreaming about her man, Darius.

Meanwhile, back at his base, Darius was thinking about Cynthia. He imagined she was with him. Slowly he stroked his burgeoning member as he thought about her. He remembered the last time she tasted him. Stroking his cock he imagined her beautiful brown lips surrounding his cockhead and she moved sensuously over his cock.

He could feel the heat from her mouth covering him. He stroked harder, faster. Soon his heart pounded as he imagined her with him, in all of her naked glory. He pictured her bountiful brown breast with hard dark nipples just waiting for him to taste. He imagined her slim waist and the thick black curtain at the apex of her thighs.

Darius never knew that he loved a woman to have hair. Not until Cynthia. Now he abhorred the thought of her shaving. He loved her completely.

Before long, his balls contracted and his cum shot from his body. It landed all over his chest. He was content, but only for a moment. He missed Cynthia. He wanted her with him, but they had to wait.

So he went to the bathroom and cleaned up, then went back to bed. He lay on his pillow, went to sleep, and dreamt of his woman, Cynthia


Thank you again for reading this chapter of the story. Please remember to comment and vote.

12