Paranormal Research Club Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Is this what you're looking for?" Ishtar offered, holding up the smoldering nub of my knife's handle. My heart sank. I had really liked that knife even before Acratophorus had enchanted it, but now it was destroyed. Ishtar smiled at me. "I took the spell off of you, so we can read your mind again. The combination of the demon's blood and your daughter's fire was probably enough to destroy your knife."

Enyo approached me, her beautiful face radiant. "Thanks for saving me, Daddy," she said as she pulled me into a warm, sweet embrace. I hugged her back, feeling happy and protective of my new daughter. She gave me a gentle kiss on the cheek. I returned it, and she smiled at me. "If I have to have a mortal as a father, I'm glad that it's you."

"Thanks, I think." I replied with a smile. "Be careful, Sweetheart. Things are likely to be dangerous for a while."

She returned my smile and embraced me again. "I'll go home to Mother for now. I think I'll be safe there." She placed a gentle kiss on my cheek before she disappeared in a delicate cloud of shimmering blue sparks and iridescent indigo smoke.

For the fist time, Athena addressed me. Her voice was resonant and melodic, but her words sounded regal and commanding. "We need to get going. Have your lady friends inside the house give you a ride to Father David's parsonage. Ares is siding with Eris in this affair, and doing his part to stir up even more old hatreds and ancient rivalries in an attempt to spark universal warfare. Eris was doing fine with bringing about a war capable of destroying your world even without his help. Ishtar, Dionysus and I will go and attempt to get Ares under control. And the legions of Hell are absolutely certain to use the fact that you killed one of the Kings of Hell to their advantage. I don't know what they're going to be doing, but it won't be good. The Abrahamic God is very protective of his people against demons and other deities, and it's good that you have several very holy people on your side. He is one of the few deities that has the sort of power you will need to protect you in the near future. I'll talk to my father and see if I can get his advice. Now that one of the seven Kings of Hell has been killed, I don't know if even Zeus will be able to remain neutral."

Athena gestured at the relics that Eisheth had left behind her. "Take Eisheth's robe and diadem to Father David and Cardinal Imamu; their Orders are used to dealing with items like that. We're fortunate that there were not similar objects left by Asmodaeus after his death. Things that have been owned by demons are typically not the sort of thing that it's wise to leave lying about. The robe might have some magical properties, but the diadem of one of the four Queens of Hell is certain to be filled with all manner of unwholesome sorcery."

Acratophorus pointed at Skagematuck, and I watched the ghostly shaman's outline become clearer and more distinct. "Here's some of the demon's residual spiritual energy so that you'll be a bit stronger, if you're still determined to stay here with John."

"I am determined to behave honorably towards you and towards my friend," replied Skagematuck. It felt good to hear the old man refer to me as his friend.

"Where are Maria and Kaitlyn?" I asked.

"They're going to serve Ishtar in the afterlife. In other words, they live rent-free in Ishtar's heavenly palace for as long as they would like. I think they'll like that far better than being slaves to demons, once they get used to the idea," Acratophorus replied with a smile. "They'll probably come around and realize how much of a service you've done them soon. Neither one of them is really a bad person, although they both did some pretty rough things when they were alive, and some absolutely horrendous ones after becoming demons. Hang onto the silver rosary that Cardinal Imamu gave you, and be careful. I'll talk to Hephaestus about getting you something to replace your pocket-knife."

Acratophorus looked at me sadly, as one might regard a friend that had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. He was obviously concerned for my safety. "I wish that I could stay here with you, but if I don't leave to attend to my half-brother Ares, then there will soon be nowhere safe remaining in your world." The god clapped me on the arm with a tired smile, and then vanished.

"Thanks again," I said to the empty spot where Skagematuck had been standing. It felt odd to suddenly be alone in the barn. But now that the man who had hung himself here had been properly avenged, the atmosphere in the place didn't seem nearly as dreary as it once had. I walked over to the workbench and slipped on my shirt, socks and shoes before making my way back towards the house. I wondered what I would tell the ladies if they asked how my pants had become so badly torn.