All Comments on 'Personal Training Ch. 09'

by MissPrim

Sort by:
  • 2 Comments
MelanPoncaMelanPoncaalmost 8 years ago
She misses this fucker ?!?

I did NOT imagine her pining away for an abusive, maniacally jealous, philandering husband who would take her life in his hands by driving while inebriated and by all evidence, temporarily insane! Yeah, yeah, I know, Jack's an asshole, but she knows he's an asshole, and can tell him to fuck off anytime - she's got no emotional investment in him . And she sure as hell doesn't "pine" for him!

I'm not sure I can "willing suspend disbelief" that she would actually want to continue a relationship with a man who would willingly put her life at risk by attempting to conduct an automobile in his emotional state and physical condition.

I'm going to (warily) continue reading, but wonder where you're taking me...

MissPrimMissPrimalmost 8 years agoAuthor
Thanks for the comment

So much of this story, the relationships between the four characters, Annie, Jack, Abel and Lynn is ambiguous. Each of them want something, and it's there, tantalizingly out reach. I think, judging on the reactions I seen so far this frustrates the readers.

Well, good. I'm doing my job as a writer.

Annie and her husband married young, and she spent her entire adult life with him. That's a lot of history. I didn't discuss that much. The end was rough, and if I didn't bring through Annie's confusion and sense of betrayal, and the lack of opportunity to put a period on a very significant part of her life, then that's my fault. If I didn't make it clear, given who she was, she was ready to leave her husband at that point that is my fault also.

Irregardless, the death of someone you've known that long, especially a husband that you raised children with, is going to hit you hard. Pining? No. Regret, pain, confusion, sadness, yes. If she pined for anything, it was for the young man she married, who loved her very much.

Here Jack's betrayal mixes with the memories of her husband's and the unfortunate event after. I think the last line says it all.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMissPrim@MissPrim
Annoyingly cheerful in the morning. Thankfully, that wears off by the end of the day. Have no cats, 4 adult children, and no boyfriends. Hmmm, something is not quite right here. Writing is my day job.

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES