Picking up the Pieces Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
REGade
REGade
152 Followers

"Did I make a mistake by offering you the loan? Would it be easier if you didn't know that I have some money?"

Brian drained his glass and placed it on the coffee table. "I'm confused, Marian. I can't decide if I should carry you upstairs to your bed or if I should take you right here on the living room floor," he said, standing up.

Marian stood up too. "That's the man I've grown to love," she said, putting her arms around his neck. "Whichever way you decide to go about it is fine with me."

He kissed her and she felt his hands on her ass. She was moaning into his mouth when he pulled away. "I'll talk to you tomorrow," he said, leaving her standing in the center of her living room, completely befuddled.

~

Brian was manhandling a sheet of wallboard when he heard a knock on the door. Henrietta was standing on the landing, peering inside. He opened the door.

"Marian came to see me. What the fuck has gotten into you?" she asked, as soon as she was inside.

"I don't know."

"Brian, what's wrong with you? I've never known a man to turn a piece of ass down. Isn't she sexy enough for you? She wants you to fuck her."

"Is that what she told you?"

"She didn't have to tell me. She's frustrated. I don't understand you?"

"I don't understand myself."

Henrietta placed her hand on his forehead. "Are you feeling okay?"

He laughed. "I'm feeling fine. I even got a hard-on last night, but I couldn't follow through. I keep thinking that she knows about me fucking Georgia for money. She has some money. She even offered me some of it, but I wouldn't take it."

Henrietta moved in, putting her arms around his neck and her cheek next to his. "Brian, would you fuck me for money?"

"You know I wouldn't," he answered, indignantly.

"You had to think about it though, didn't you? I heard the wheels turning in your head. They were asking how much money I had."

"I didn't have to think about it...how much do you have?"

Henrietta giggled. "Let me ask a serious question, and you have to answer it honestly."

"Okay," he said, enjoying the way it tickled when she was whispering into his ear.

"That night I got wet and everything."

"Yes," he said, remembering the night they stood on the sidewalk, embracing the same as they were doing now.

"We kissed, and it was nice."

"I remember."

"If I had let you walk me home?"

"Yes?"

"Would you have fucked me?"

"I don't know."

"You don't know?"

"It might have ruined our friendship."

"Brian, you've got a fucking hard-on!"

"Okay."

"Okay, what?"

"Okay, I would have fucked you."

Henrietta held the embrace for another thirty seconds before pulling away. "I don't know why I worry about you."

"I'm fine."

"I can see that," she said, looking down at the evidence, grinning.

She was backing toward the door when he got her attention. "Would you have?"

It took her two seconds to grasp his meaning. "You watched me until I went around the corner of the building, didn't you?"

"Yes," he said, remembering how he had watched her disappear.

Henrietta dropped her eyes. Her lips were moving, but he had to strain to hear what she was saying. "I was leaning against the building and gasping for air. You'll never know how much I wanted to go back and drag you home with me."

"You'll never know how much I wanted to catch up with you."

She lifted her eyes, and they stared at each other for a full minute. "Fuck your girlfriend, Brian. Stop tempting me."

"Thanks for coming to see me, Henry. I'll take your advice, but you've got to do something for me, too."

"Anything, you name it."

"Stop tempting me."

They burst into laughter. Henrietta left, and they never spoke of temptation again.

~

Brian didn't hear from Marian or try to contact her for three days. It wasn't that he was delaying the inevitable; he knew that the next time they met that they would end up in her bed. Thinking about making love to her, planning every move, and anticipating her reaction to his caresses monopolized his mind. Marian and every part of her body were with him constantly. Those three days were the most titillating that he could remember.

He completed his work on the loft, called the plumber, wall-covering expert, and electrician in to finish up. It was near the end of August when he handed Mark a key.

As it turned out, it was the children that gave the final shove to bring Marian and Brian closer.

"Mom, is Brian going to be my new Dad?" Tommy asked his mother.

The question amused her. "Where did you get that idea?" she asked.

"Amanda says you are going to be her mother, and Phillip and I are going to be brothers."

"Would you like that?"

"Yeah, I guess. Does it mean that Amanda would be my sister?"

"How would you feel about sharing me with Amanda and Phillip?"

"Would you still love me?"

"Yes, Honey, I will never stop loving you."

"Would you love Brian, too?"

"Yes, I would, but this is very premature. If it should come to pass it would be in the distant future. Let's not make more of something Amanda said until it is discussed thoroughly."

Marian called Brian. "We need to talk."

"I heard. I'll have a talk with Amanda and find out what made her tell the boys that we are getting serious."

"I should be there. If fact, we should all be present to air this out, Mary included."

"Are you sure you want to discuss this with the children before we decide what we want to do?"

"Brian, have you thought about what you want? Do you want to have an affair? Does marriage interest you? I really don't care which way we go, but I know I'm ready to take the next step."

"Amanda is leaning toward marriage, and she has the boys thinking the same way. It wouldn't be fair to them for us to have an affair, but I've got to be honest with you; I've been having some pretty wild thoughts the past three days. I'd like to take you for a test drive if you're game?"

"I'm game."

"Anyway, I know I don't want to have another child out of wedlock."

He heard an intake of air, like she was going to explode. "Brian, you're the most wonderful, considerate man I've ever known. I'm fortunate to have met you. Please don't change. Bring Mary, Amanda and Phillip to my house for dinner tomorrow night," she said.

Brian laughed, and agreed to be at her house promptly at six.

~

A telephone call changed their plans.

"Dad, its Phillip's grandmother," Amanda said, handing him the receiver.

"Hi, Mom," Brian said, not knowing what to expect. He seldom heard from his parents.

"It's your father."

"What happened?" he asked.

"There's been a death in the family. Aunt Elsie is being buried tomorrow and we need you to attend the funeral to protect our interests."

"What's wrong with Dad? She's his aunt. Why can't he go?"

"Brian, we ask very little of you. Surely, you can leave that Christmas tree business long enough to see that we receive our share of the estate."

"What's the matter with Dad? Did you have an accident or something?"

"He's fine, physically, but he becomes confused sometimes. Do you have a pencil and a piece of paper? Take the information down, and don't be late getting to the funeral. No telling what the scavengers will do to pick the carcass clean."

Brian took down the instructions, which were interspersed with useless tidbits, 'Glenn or Ginny would be happy to do this if they were free. He's setting up his practice and she's going to be busy teaching.'

"What's Glenn's practicing?" Brian asked.

"If you bothered to call once in a while you would know that Glenn finished dental school. He's going to be a fine dentist. I suppose you heard about Ginny's husband being killed."

"I heard," he said, wanting to ask his sister's married name, but didn't.

"Do you have everything down on paper?"

"I believe so. Tell me one thing. Who was Aunt Elsie?"

"She was your father's aunt. I understand her husband's family is going to be represented by someone very cunning. Make sure you get our share. Watch out for the lawyers, too. Do you have a decent suit?"

"Yes, Mom, I know how to dress for a funeral."

"It's not just the funeral. Make sure you look professional when you appear in court."

"Court? What are you telling me?"

"Keep us informed. Do you have e-mail and a cell phone? Your father is counting on you."

"I'll do my best, Mom."

He had more questions, but his mother said she had other calls to make.

Mary and Amanda were sitting across the table from him as he dialed John Larkin's number. "We're not going to be able to go to Marian's house for dinner tonight. I have to get up early."

Mary headed for the kitchen, saying that she would prepare a quick meal.

He then looked at Amanda. "Where did my Mom get the idea that the Christmas tree business is all that we do?"

Amanda gave him a blank stare, but when he finished bringing John up to date, she had the answer.

"I gave Phillip a picture to send to his grandparents. It was the one from last Christmas that showed him on the wagon, and he may have been standing next to a Christmas tree. I remember him asking how to spell hot chocolate."

"Come here," Brian said.

"Did I do something wrong?" she asked.

He grinned at her and watched the smile come to her face. She climbed onto his lap as he was dialing Marian's number. "You're getting heavy," he whispered. She wasn't. Her body was slim and her face was drawn, making her look older than her nine years.

"We can't come tonight," he began, as soon as Marian answered her phone.

"Really? I was looking forward to tonight. I was hoping that we would have some time alone to...you know."

"I know. I was looking forward to spending some time with you, too, but I'm being sent on a family mission. I promise that when I get back..."

"When will that be?"

"I don't know. I'm packing for a week."

"Damn you, Brian. You get a girl's juices running and then you take off."

"I'm sorry."

"Will you call me? Will you write?"

"Yes, I'm taking my lap-top."

"Can't you come over tonight?"

"I would like to, but I need to get up early. I have a long drive ahead of me."

"It wouldn't take long," she whined, in a tantalizing voice that almost made him change his mind.

He told her that he still needed to talk to Mrs. Nixon and she let him end the call. It only took a minute to give Mrs. Nixon her instructions. Amanda was still sitting on his lap, and Phillip was climbing up to join his sister.

"I'll need underwear and socks for five days. Pack a couple of shirts, two pair of pants, a sweater, shoes, and a pair of jeans. Give me a couple of hundred in cash, too," he said to Amanda.

"Why do you need a sweater?"

"It may be cold near the water, even in summer."

"Why can't we go with you?"

"You don't like funerals. Anyway, I'm going to be busy."

Amanda slid off his lap and went to pack his suitcase. Phillip began to cry as soon as she was gone.

"What's wrong, big boy?"

"Are you going away because you don't want Tommy and me to be brothers?"

Brian pulled his son close. "Believe me, brothers aren't all that great. They'll become dentists and say they're too busy to help out with family business."

"Tommy isn't going to be a dentist," Phillip was quick to say.

"What's Tommy going to be when he grows up?"

"A crop duster."

"Crop dusters are just as bad as dentists. What are you going to be?"

"I'm going to sell Christmas trees and hot chocolate."

"Good choices. I'm sure you'll do well."

"Dad?" Phillip asked, all traces of tears having disappeared.

"Yeah, Buddy," Brian said.

"Will we have to move when you and Tommy's mother get married?"

"I don't know. Would moving be a major turn-off for you?"

"Yeah, I like my room better than Tommy's. I like our back-yard better, too."

"You make some good points. Thanks for sharing them with me."

"You're welcome."

~

Three-thirty AM on August 25, 2007

Mary gave him a thermos filled with black coffee and a bag containing two sandwiches and an apple. He kissed her goodbye, and told her he would be back soon. His intentions were good, but his prediction was bad. Four months would go by before he would see his mother-in-law and children again.

Here ends "Picking up the Pieces"

Next: "Electives," and, "Distribution."

REGade
REGade
152 Followers
12