Plain Gold Ring Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She slides back in and kisses him, but then she steps out into the balmy night. "Good night, John."

He watches her walk like a dream across the grass and disappear into the house. He sits there for too long, and eventually reminds himself the last thing he needs is to be found sitting outside June's house, staring up at her bedroom window.

He drives over to his house and walks inside, a goofy grin on his face the entire time. He fixes himself another drink he shouldn't have and sits, grinning some more.

June fucking Silva.

MELISSA

Ray works beside her throughout the day, careful to keep his entire body out of reach. The other two assistants are whispering to each other, sneaking stares at Melissa and Ray. She knows what they suspect.

This goes on for a few days. She tries to convey her need to speak with him a few times, but he's too busy. He changes her shift around, too, so it's not as easy to catch him.

Eventually he brings her into his office. She sees one of the assistants craning her neck to peer at them before he shuts and locks the door.

Ray opens the window on the other side of his office and pulls out a cigarette. "What happened with your husband?"

"The end result?" Ray nods. "He'll keep his mouth shut."

"And how," he taps the end of the cigarette with his thumb, "do you know that he will?"

Melissa gets up from the chair and sits on the sill. Ray watches her warily. She gestures for the cigarette and takes a deep pull. It's been a long time since she smoked last, but it's as wonderful and horrible as she remembers. "Because I know him. And because I have something on him, too."

His eyes light up. "What is it?"

"It's not important. He's just a baby so he's afraid."

His hand goes to her arm and squeezes. "What is it?"

She's not unaware of the gentle threat he's making with just his hand and eyes. She smokes some more before answering. "I insinuated he wanted to fuck a neighbor. Told him I'd tell everyone about it. He's so noble that he doesn't want her name involved, so he said he'd be fair when the divorce came. And he has no intention of telling your wife. Are you happy?"

Ray coughs out a laugh. "Happy? No, darling, I'm not happy."

"Can we," Melissa begins, not sure of what to say but knows she must say something, "can we go on like before?"

He grimaces. "You fucking kidding me?" He looks her over, shaking his head and finishing his cigarette. He squishes it like a little accordion and then tosses it out the window. Melissa feels like she's no better than that cigarette in his eyes. She isn't sure what's changed, beyond her divorce. On the phone he'd sounded pleased, delighted, relieved. Now he watches her with foreign eyes. "My wife knows."

Melissa's head tips back. "What?" Her voice is not even a whisper but he reads her lips.

"She found out somehow. She confronted me and I had nothing left." He takes another cigarette out. "We're getting a divorce. She's going to bleed me dry. I signed a prenup when we married; she had all that money from the inheritance... Her father made her ask me to sign one. I'm sure she's grateful for it now."

"You still have your job," Melissa presses. "You'll be able to—"

"Mel, I'm broke. Completely broke. I'm living in a sleazy motel right now, facing divorce. My only friends are the rats that hang out in the back alley." He strikes a match and lights his cigarette. His lips curl into a ghost of a smile. "Still want to fuck me?"

_________________________________

It's storming when Melissa's shift ends. Shrieks of thunder and lightning chase her while she runs across the parking lot. When she sinks into the driver sear, she stares at the heavy, thick streams of rain crisscrossing their way down the window.

June fucking Silva.

She's the whole reason this is all happening. If she just kept her mouth fucking shut...

She isn't sure if John's the culprit. In fact, she's almost positive he's not. He promised he wouldn't say anything, and he's a man of his word. But did he tell June?

Again, she doubted it, and even if he had June wouldn't say anything, either. She might never know how the news got out—she suspected coworkers—but it doesn't matter. Her plans are thoroughly ruined. Everyone is talking about her. She won't be able to slither around as covertly as she once had. She'll lose friends.

She lost Ray.

She rubs her chest and wonders if it matters. She never loved him. He would have been a horrible husband. But trying to get him to care for her had been a pleasant way to pass the time, and the prospect of all that money was too good to pass up.

It was all gone.

Rage unfurls inside her stomach. She is going to make June pay. Some way, somehow. She is going to rip things away from her, make her miserable and laugh as she cries. And why the fuck not? It'll be a unique pleasure to see June break down. All Melissa needs now is a way to go about it.

Exposing her relationship with John and lying about their involvement during high school won't be enough. Plus, she can't do anything like that or it'll jeopardize her shaky agreement with John. Part of her doesn't care so much about the outcome. No-fault state and all that. She'll get something. Creating mischief and misery for John and June would be far more satisfying.

She turns the ignition but it doesn't start. She tries it again and again.

"Fuck!" She smacks the steering will.

She's going to have to get towed. She thinks about who to call and then an evil smile slowly crawls across her face.

Sam Patterson will do just fine.