Pop Goes the Weasel: Dying Thought

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When they were back in their seats, Gianni started to speak, but Victoria cut him off. "Phew, I understand why you wanted me to hear that….but….I don't understand why you recorded it that night."

In a tired voice Gianni said, "I didn't know I had taped it until I was back home, Victoria. And, even then, when I realized there was something on my voice recorder, I had no idea what it was. It's when I listened to it that I knew; somehow I had tripped the record button on the voice recorder." Victoria could hear the fatigue Gianni held since that night.

"Why didn't you contact me sooner? Why wait a year before telling me about it? Why not tell me when we saw each other at Daemon's funeral?" Victoria's voice held some restraint but it was easy to hear the anger ready to flare.

"What good would it have done for you to hear it then? You needed time to heal, time to cool down. I knew there would be an investigation into Daemon's death, and I didn't think it would have been a good idea for us to be seen together too much." Gianni understood that Victoria needed a scapegoat for her anger and pain, but he wasn't about to let her walk all over him.

Victoria sat up straighter, lit a cigarette and said, "You're right, you're entirely right. I'm sorry; I'm letting my temper run away with my feelings. You did what was best under the circumstances. Furthermore, I know I have you to thank for the investigation into Daemon's death being so short."

"You don't have to thank me for anything, Victoria. Daemon died because he wasn't careful who he crossed. We're just lucky you weren't caught in the crossfire, and had time to get out before it all went to hell."

Gianni didn't know how to bring the subject back on to the content of the tape they had just listened to. He knew they needed to talk about it, but he didn't want to push her too far, too fast.

Victoria was deep in thought, thinking about everything she had just heard when realization suddenly hit her. "Oh, my God! He said something about a safety deposit box, didn't he? I didn't imagine that? That money is yours, we have to look through the documents I haven't yet seen to find it and get it back to you." Victoria was frantically trying to stand up, she wanted to go right away and set things right.

"Wait, Victoria, wait. Calm down a minute. Yes this money is, was, mine but, what Daemon said that night is still true. I didn't miss that money, and you can keep it." Gianni wasn't sure how she would deal with what he had to say next but he kept on. "That money has been sleeping in the box for longer than a year now; it can stay there until you decide what you want to do with it."

"What are you saying? It's not mine, it's yours, and I can't keep it." Victoria's mind was in turmoil, "How much did he rip you off, anyway?"

"A shit load, if my calculation is right!" Gianni couldn't help himself and laughed when he saw the surprise on Victoria's face

"One more reason to give it back to you, then! It's not mine and I shouldn't keep it! Daemon's will has left the kids and I well provided for, even more than I thought possible. I didn't know he had so much money invested in so many ventures, and his will left the kids and I sole beneficiaries of all his holdings. Furthermore, selling the house and downsizing has added to that money. I couldn't see us still living in that house after everything that happened there. I can't keep money that doesn't belong to us Gianni, it's not right."

"Victoria, you don't understand. I don't want that money back. See it as an otherworldly gift from Daemon. It took months for the accountants to find all the places where Daemon had skimmed money from the business, and in all those months I never missed the money. I want you to have it, and I'm not taking no for an answer."

Victoria was distraught thinking that maybe it was Gianni's way of telling her he was buying her silence for that night's events. "Gianni, I think I know what you're trying to do, and I can assure you, you don't need to. I'll never tell a soul what truly transpired that night. I'll carry it to my grave; you don't have to pay me to keep silent."

"You really think I'd be dishonest enough to tell you to keep the money as a way of making sure you keep your mouth shut? You think that poorly of me, Victoria?" Gianni could understand why she would think something like that, but it hurt him, nonetheless, to see her so afraid of him.

Victoria realized she had been unfair to him. He had never given her any reason to think he could harm her in any way, "No, no…I don't think you could be so treacherous, Gianni, not really. But, understand, you're telling me there's a pile of money lying around somewhere in a safety deposit box in my name, money that rightly belongs to you, and you want me to keep it. What do you want me to think?" Victoria didn't know what to think anymore, and it was making her uneasy.

"What I'm telling you is that I didn't notice that money missing for all these years, I didn't miss it so why shouldn't you keep it. Let's say it's my way of apologizing for making your life such a mess," Gianni sighed, "If Daemon hadn't worked with me; he never would have seen that much money in one place, he never would have seen all those beautiful women I employ for my clubs. Maybe, just maybe, he would have walked the straight and narrow and not dragged you into all this. I'm as much responsible as he is in a way."

"You really think it would have made a difference, Gianni? Don't you remember that Daemon's journal dates from before he even set eyes on me? He's always been a philandering bastard and it's not you who made him who he was." Victoria knew she was speaking the truth but hearing herself say it out loud gave her a new outlook on the situation.

The tension flowed from their bodies. They both felt the truth in what Victoria had just said, and they smiled at each other; feeling unburdened for the first time in more than a year.

Gianni ordered another bottle of wine, knowing the rest of the meeting would be more peaceful. The only things left to discuss were mere details and he knew they could handle it with ease.

While Victoria had excused herself to go to the ladies' room, Gianni had asked for a metal bin and some lighter fluid to be brought to their table. They, both, would set fire to the tape, close the door on that night and go back to their life.

When Victoria got back to their table, she saw at once, the bin, the tape and the fluid and she knew that the evening was almost over. This would be the last tie that bound them and they were well prepared to sever it.

Victoria sat back and looked at Gianni with a sad smile, "Well, this is it, huh? This is really the end, and where we say goodbye." She couldn't help a tear from escaping her eyes. She knew what she owed Gianni and she was thankful to have known him.

"Don't say goodbye, Victoria, never goodbye. Say ciao, au revoir, see ya, whatever, but never goodbye. Goodbye is too final, and we'll see each other plenty of times again." Gianni knew it wasn't true, but he hoped she would accept his last offer.

Victoria took the tape in her hand, waiting for Gianni to signal her to toss it in the bin. When she raised her eyes to ask him what he was waiting for, she saw him looking at her.

"What would you say if I offered you some work, Victoria? Nothing major, you know; just some snooping around in computer files for me." That last was said with a smile.

"Thank you very much for the offer, Gianni, but I think I'll pass. I think what the kids and I need right now is to continue rebuilding our lives. We've been through enough, and we need some peace and quiet." Victoria knew this was Gianni's attempt to let her know she could always come to him if she needed anything.

Knowing his offer had been turned down, he asked, "Do you want to toss it or should I?

"We'll both do it, douse it with fluid and I'll set it on fire. We won't talk about it ever again, once it's burned to a crisp." Victoria knew well the meaning of what she was saying. After tonight they wouldn't have any reason to see each other again, since they weren't moving in the same circles.

Gianni extended his hand to Victoria while the tape was burning, and she held it; knowing that after tonight there wouldn't be any evidence left of her old life, and she smiled.

*************************************

When they left the restaurant it was dark Gianni offered Victoria a ride, but she declined. Her car wasn't far, and it would do her good to walk there. They said goodbye in front of the restaurant, fully aware that it was the last time they were seeing each other.

Victoria turned around and walked away from Gianni when he called her back. "Victoria, wait…I forgot to tell you something." When he reached her, he bent to her ear and said. "Always remember you're a lady, never let anyone tell you or treat you otherwise, If you ever need help, whatever, you know where to reach me." He hugged her, kissed her on the cheek and turned around, back to his car without waiting for a reply from her.

Once again, allow me to thank the wonderful Cloudy for the editing job on this piece. She's edited all chapters of this saga and if it's any good I owe it to her. She's been a tremendous help she deserves the recognition.

Thanks also to The Wanderer for beta reading the story when it wasn't entirely finished and pointing out things I hadn't noticed.

Comments, public or private are welcomed and appreciated. That's my only way of knowing if I did a good job.

12