Powerball Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Web_Spinner
Web_Spinner
2,984 Followers

"Girls, this is Beth," I said, nodding to where she sat. "And the cutie over there is her daughter Lisa."

Both my nieces spoke as one, "Hi Lisa."

In a soft voice Lisa responded, "Hi." I could see that even with her shyness Lisa was yearning for someone her own age to relate to.

"Why don't you girls take the dogs out into the yard and make sure they get their exercise?" My nieces and the dogs loved to play chase. First the dogs would chase after the girls and then the girls would turn chasing the dogs. It was a game none of them seemed to tire of.

"Okay," said Jeanie. I watched my nieces run over to Lisa and each take a hand leading here down the steps into the yard. "C'mon puppies," she yelled over her shoulder. Very soon the yard was filled with commotion as three squealing girls and two yapping dogs ran to and fro.

"Have a seat Mel. Can I get you a cup of coffee. How about you Beth, like another cup?"

Both ladies said they would love one so being the dutiful host I returned to the kitchen. Pouring one cup black, for Beth, and one with a dash of cream for Mel. As I returned to the deck I could hear both mothers talking about the girls. Handing Mel her cup I got a big smile and thank you. From Beth a much softer thank you with a timid smile but one that did not reflect in her eyes. This only further convinced me that she had trust issues when it came to men.

For the next fifteen minutes we sat discussing the weather and other mundane topics. Mel told Beth some about herself, her day care center, her family. I could see she was attempting to establish some sort of bond with Beth. I watched Beth closely. She seemed to be more open and responded to Mel with more ease than when she spoke to me. When I brought up how much Beth and Lisa had enjoyed the chicken soup last night I caught a gleam of pride in my sisters eyes. Beth went on to exclaim how delicious it was. Mel thanked her for saying so.

I felt it was now time to come up with an excuse to leave these two alone so Mel could try and find out what brought Beth and Lisa to where they now were, homeless and apparently on the run from someone.

"Mel, I really should get down to the boat dock and make sure everything is alright. I haven't had a chance to get down there for several days. Would you mind staying and keep Beth company while I'm gone?"

"Sure, baby brother. Go ahead, I'm sure Beth and I can entertain each other with a little girl talk."

"I was thinking I might take the girls with me. You know how much they like to run around the cove."

"I'm sure they would enjoy that," said my sister. "Beth would it be alright with you if Lisa went with the girls? I'm sure she would have fun."

Beth's eyes flared with a hint of panic. I know the thought of letting her daughter out of her sight in the company of a man she hardly knew was a frightening prospect. "I don't know," she stuttered.

"Beth," my sister said softly. "Other than my husband there is no other person in this world who I trust as much as Mike to protect my girls. Believe me, he will make sure no harm comes to Lisa either. The boat dock is private and on Mike's property so no one else will be there. She will be safe. Why don't we ask Lisa and see if she would like to go."

Beth kept turning her eyes from Mel to me and back again. I could see the cogs in her brain turning as she pondered. Finally, "I guess it would be okay if you're really sure. That is if she wants to go."

I stood and walked over to the railing at the edge of the deck calling out, "Girls, would you like to take a ride with me down to the boat dock?"

My two nieces began jumping up a down. "Yes, yes. We want to go. Is it okay if Lisa comes too?"

"Why don't you ask her and see what she says. She is very welcome to come along."

My nieces turned to huddle with Lisa begging her to come with them.

"I don't know," said Lisa with her eyes growing large at the idea of leaving her mother's side. "Mama said I shouldn't trust strange men."

Jeanie giggle at that. "Lisa, he's not a strange man. He's Uncle Mike. Don't worry he will take care of all of us. You'll like it down at the boat dock. We can skip rocks on the water. Please come."

Lisa was torn. On the one hand she really wanted to spend more time with her new friends, and on the other the idea of being separated from her mother was troubling. Finally she decided she really did want to go.

"Well, okay, I'll ask mama. But, I don't think she will let me."

With that the three girls came running up on the deck, Lisa stopping in front of her mother, my nieces standing behind her. "Mama would it be alright if I went with Jeanie and Missy to see the boat?"

"Please, please," chimed in my nieces, all three staring at Beth with big puppy dog eyes.

"Lisa, are you sure you want to?" asked Beth.

"Yes, mama. Jeanie and Missy will take care of me."

"Yes, Miss Beth, me and Missy will take care of her," pleaded Jeanie.

Beth then turned and looked at me. "How long are you going to be gone Mike?"

"We will be back in probably an hour. That will give the girls time to have some fun and get back here in time for lunch."

"Well, if you're sure you want to go Lisa, then I guess it would be alright."

"Oh thank you mama," cried Lisa throwing her arms around her mother's neck giving her a big hug.

That being settled I said, "Load up girls. Take the little beasts with you while I go get my keys." The way the girls ran to jump into my truck chattering like magpies you would think I was taking them to Disney World. As the girls ran through the door I turned to Beth. "She'll be fine. I promise. And I'll bring her right back if she's not having fun."

Beth just nodded and then looked down, I could tell she was worrying if she had made the right decision.

It only took a few minutes to reach the cove and as soon as I turned off the engine all three girls and two dogs piled out to continue their romp. For a while I just sat in the shade of one of the large oaks watching the fun. I always got a big kick out of watching the girls and dogs play. Every now and then one of the dogs would quickly run over and give me a big lick, telling me how much fun they were having. In between Jeanie and Missy would take turns running over and hugging my neck. Whenever one of my nieces would give me a hug I could see Lisa watching. I think she wanted to be included too but I knew not to push her. She would have to work it out for herself if she thought she could trust me. I even let the girls take their shoes off and wade in the water in a part of the cove that was very shallow with no drop offs.

Finally it was getting near time to leave so I told the girls to put their shoes on while I checked out the boat. When I said that I saw Lisa whispering to the other girls. A minute later all three came over to where I was sitting. Jeanie and Missy stood behind Lisa.

"Go on, Lisa. Ask him. He wont bite, I promise," goaded Missy.

Lisa shyly bent her head down and I heard her low voice ask, "Can I see the boat Mr. Mike? I've never seen one close before."

Chuckling I replied, "Sure you can, sweetie. But, we have rules about when you go onto the dock. You have to be very careful and no horseplay, okay?"

"Yes sir, I promise I will be very careful."

We all trooped down to the ramp that led out onto the floating platform. When we got there I let Jeanie and Lisa go first so I could watch them. Lisa was clutching tightly to Jeanie's hand. I'm sure this was a big adventure for her. I followed behind holding Missy's hand. One thing their parents had instilled in the girls was rules for boating safety. The girls knew that if they didn't follow the rules they wouldn't be allowed to go out in the boat.

The dock I had built had slips for two boats and a large platform area with lockers in between. Each slip was also outfitted with a lift to keep the boats high and dry when not in use. I told the girls to wait in the middle of the platform while I started the motor that lowered the boat into the water. Once the boat was in the water I removed the tarp covering the boat and climbed inside. First I called Missy over and lifted her up and set her down in the boat. Next I told Jeanie to bring Lisa over. I leaned out and lifted Lisa quickly and set her in the boat. I could see her eyes widen when I first touched her but I didn't give her time to think about it before she was in the boat next to Missy. Finally, I reached over and lifted Jeanie in. I took my place in the drivers seat and told Lisa she could sit in the seat next to me. I spent a few minutes talking to her about the different parts of the boat. The whole time she sat and nodded her head. I knew we had to leave to return to the house. I sure didn't want to give Beth more reason to worry.

"Okay, girls," I said. I would love to take you out for a ride on the lake but I didn't ask your mothers if that was alright. And we have to get back for lunch."

I stepped out of the boat and told Jeanie she was first. I lifted her out and set her on the platform. I told Lisa she was next. This time she walked right over and allowed me to lift her to the dock. And then last I set Missy down. The three girls stood holding hands whispering between themselves while I covered the boat again then engaged the hoist to lift it back out of the water. When everything was ship shape we returned to my truck in the same order. Jeanie and Lisa hand in hand with Missy and I trailing behind.

I got my motley crew loaded up and we headed back to the house. Once again when I turned off the engine everyone piled out. But, instead of running off this time the three girls waited for me. As I walked up Lisa looked up at me and said, "Thank you, Mr. Mike. I really had fun."

"Well you sure are welcome, honey. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself."

"Thank you Uncle Mike. We had a lot of fun too," said Jeanie. Then she and Missy ran over and gave my legs a hug.

"You're welcome too girls. Now let's go in and let Lisa's mom know we're back safe and sound. Then it'll be time to get ready for lunch. Would you girls like me to grill up some of my world famous hamburgers."

Jeanie and Missy jumped up and down exclaiming, "Yes, yes. Yummy."

Missy turned to Lisa and proudly proclaimed that her Uncle Mike made the bestest hamburgers in the whole wide world.

We found Mel and Beth sitting in the living room. When I looked at Beth I could tell she had been crying. I glanced questioningly at my sister. She just mouthed 'later'. I nodded. Lisa who was still bubbling over with excitement ran to her mother.

"Mama, mama. We had so much fun. We got to skip rocks and wade in the water and then I got to go on a boat."

At that Beth glared at me, "You took my daughter on a boat?"

Holding my hands out in front of me defensively I exclaimed, "Whoa, hang on. I just let the kids sit in the boat. We never left the dock. I didn't even start the engine. I was there with them every second. I wouldn't even take Jeanie and Missy out on the boat unless their parents knew we were going and approved."

I saw Beth's glare soften. "Oh mama, please don't be mad. I had so much fun. And Mr. Mike told me the rules so I would be safe. And Jeanie watched out for me too, the whole time."

With that plea Beth's heart melted and she reached out pulling Lisa into a hug. "It's okay baby. Mama's not mad. I'm glad you had fun." Then looking up at me, "I'm sorry, Mike. I should have listened first before getting upset."

"That's okay, Beth. No foul no harm. Now I promised the girls I would grill up some burgers. How bout it. Burgers all around?"

Mel, who had sat silently the whole time turned to Beth. "Oh yeah, Beth. Wait until you taste Mike's hamburgers. He really does have a knack for grilling. What can we do to help Mike?"

"Not a thing ladies. This is my treat today. Jeanie, why don't you and Missy take Lisa to the game room. I know you can entertain yourselves. And you two ladies relax and sip your tea while I get everything ready."

Not waiting for an answer I turned and walked to the kitchen. Mel just looked at Beth and shrugged her shoulders. I set about prepping everything. Seasoning the meat with my secret spices, slicing tomatoes and onions, and readying the lettuce. I pulled out several kinds of cheese and placed it all on a platter so everyone could build their own to burger to suit their tastes. I opened a large can of baked beans and put them in a pot on the stove to slowly simmer. I took the patties and buns out to the grill, fired it up, and started cooking. While the burgers cooked I sat on the deck sipping a glass of ice tea thinking about how things had gone today wondering what Mel had learned of Beth and Lisa.

Just before the patties were done I put the buns on the grill to quickly toast them. These I then carried and placed on the kitchen counter. I retrieved the platter of cheese and sliced toppings from the refrigerator and then poured the beans into a large bowl and set them next to the patties and buns. Next I placed mustard, mayonnaise, and ketchup on the counter and finally a selection of chips. Everything was ready.

Popping my head around the door of the kitchen I called out, "Mel, Beth, if you will call the girls lunch is ready."

I then took a seat at the table to wait. I guess everyone was hungry though because I didn't wait long before they stormed the kitchen. "Okay, moms I will let you help the girls fix their burgers to suit."

Mel walked over to the counter telling Beth to come with her. "You make one for Lisa I will start with Missy. Missy hon, come over here and tell me what you want on your burger."

In short order they all had their plates filled and were at the table. I got up to fix one for myself. I noticed everyone looking expectantly at me. "Eat up ladies. Don't stand on formalities on my account. I'll be close behind you."

As Beth bit into her burger I heard her moan with pleasure. As soon as she swallowed the first bite she said, "Oh, Mel, you weren't kidding. This burger is to die for."

I couldn't help but grin broadly at the compliment. I finished preparing my plate and joined the girls at the table. Between bites the girls all chattered happily amongst themselves. For my part I just kept a low profile and listened and ate. Mel and Beth both insisted they do the clean up and I was magnanimous to accede to their desires. Yeah, yeah, truth is I prefer to make the mess than have to clean it up. So while they cleared everything the younger girls and I went back to the game room. I took a seat in my favorite recliner and watched the young ones take turns playing a video game. I guess getting to bed late last night and up early this morning took a small toll on my energy level and I nodded off into a nap. The next thing I remember is a hand gently shaking my shoulder.

"Mike. Baby brother, wake up."

I opened my eyes to see my sister standing over me smiling. I sheepishly returned her smile. "I guess I needed a nap."

"Must be a sign you're getting old," snorted Mel, enjoying teasing me. "It's time the girls and I got home. Don't want George thinking we ran off."

"Okay, sis. I'll walk you out." I rose out my chair and stretched then followed Mel to the living room. She and Beth exchanged good-byes and I followed her out to her car. Beth came to the front door but stopped there just watching out. Lisa and my nieces were already standing by the car waiting on Mel.

'Okay girls, get in the car. Your father's waiting for us." said Mel. Then she turned and hugged me whispering in my ear, "Call me when you have a chance to talk."

I gave her a squeeze and kissed her cheek. "Thanks, sis. I'll call you later."

I turned back towards the house and saw that Lisa had already run back up to join her mother. They both waved as Mel drove off leaving me to walk back to house wondering what Mel had found out.

As I came back in the house Beth spoke. "Your sister is very sweet and her daughters are adorable."

"I really like Jeanie and Missy," added in Lisa.

"And I can tell they really like you to sweetie. And yes, Beth, I think they are very special people and not just because we're related. I don' think you've checked out the game room yet, have you, Beth?"

"No not yet. But I did hear the girls talking about it."

"Then follow me. I will show you how to work the TV, Lisa already knows how to work the video games, and I have a collection of board and card games as well. I will leave you two to entertain each other for a while. I work out of my house and I need to spend a little while in my office to take care of a few things."

I took them to the game room and showed them where everything was and then excused myself to go back upstairs. Once in my office I did take the time to check my e-mail and reply to a couple more urgent ones. I wanted to give Mel time to get home and talk with George as I knew he would be curious as to why I invited the girls over but not him. I just felt that with Beth's obvious insecurity around men it would be better if just the girls came over. A half hour later I was through with my e-mails and impatient to talk to Mel so I finally called.

Like this morning George was first to answer the phone.

"Hi George, it's Mike," knowing full well that he had caller ID and knew who was calling.

"Hello Mike. What's this Mel has been telling me. You're now driving around picking up strange women and taking them home with you?"

"Aw geez, George it's not like that at all," I pleaded.

I could hear George chuckle. "If you say so buddy. Hang on I'll get your sister. I know she wants to talk to you."

A minute later my sister picked up. After a couple pleasantries she began telling me about her conversation with Beth. She said that at first Beth was reluctant to open up but as they continued to talk she told more and more. Beth had told Mel how her father had walked out on her and her mother leaving them to struggle to get by. Her mother had to work two jobs until Beth could graduate high school. Once she was out of school she got a job and she and her mom were doing better. Things were okay until Beth had fallen for a guy and ended up pregnant with Lisa. When she had told the guy she was pregnant the guy up and left town and she never saw him again. After Lisa was born she continue to stay with her mother and took a job at a diner as a waitress to support herself and her daughter. Her mother would watch Lisa when Beth worked.

Then about a year ago she met another man. At first he was real nice and treated Beth and her daughter well. About six months ago Beth's mom passed away and Beth's new boyfriend convinced her to move in with him. That's when things began to change. Gradually the boyfriend became abusive. Beth hadn't really known what her boyfriend did for a living as he was always vague about where he got his money. She finally came to suspect he was dealing drugs. About a month ago things finally came to a head when her boyfriend came home drunk and stoned. Words were exchanged and her boyfriend ending up beating her, threatening to kill her and her daughter. Beth managed to get Lisa and locked herself into a bedroom until her boyfriend passed out. She grabbed what little she and Lisa could carry and decided to run. On the way out the door she saw a wad of money on the floor her boyfriend had obviously dropped when he was beating her. She grabbed it and she and Lisa left. They managed to make it out to the highway where a trucker stopped and gave them a lift into Austin. At first they got by on the money she had taken, living in cheap motels. But, she couldn't find work and finally found themselves on the streets once the money had run out. It was their second night under the bridge when I found them.

Now she is afraid her ex-boyfriend is still looking for and will kill her and Lisa if he finds them.

Web_Spinner
Web_Spinner
2,984 Followers