Powerball Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Web_Spinner
Web_Spinner
2,984 Followers

"Wow, Mel," I said after hearing all the details. "I can see why she doesn't trust men. But if it's all true then she doesn't deserve what's happened to her. Now I have to figure out how to help her and Lisa."

"Mike, I looked into her eyes as she told me her story and I don't think she was conning me," my sister said.

"Well thanks again sis. You pretty much got the answers to the questions I had about her. And thank George for me for sparing you for the day to help out."

After saying our good-byes I sat back and digested what my sister had told me. I stood up and headed back down stairs. I guess it was time to find out what I was going to do. Much of that was going to depend on Beth.

I entered the game room to see Lisa watching cartoons and Beth reading a magazine.

Lisa looked up at me as I entered and I smiled at her. "You can keep watching your cartoons, sweetie. I just need to talk to your mom in the living room. Okay?"

Lisa smiled and nodded and turned back to the TV. I turned to look at Beth and saw her eyes darken but she got up and followed me to the other room.

"So, Mike. What happens now? Are you going to take us back to where you found us?" Beth asked, the worry evident in her voice.

"Is that what you want, Beth. To put your daughter back on the streets. To have her face the dangers like last night?" I asked.

When I said this Beth just sank down onto the couch tears flowing from her eyes. "No, I don't want that for Lisa," she exclaimed emphatically. "But, I don't know what to do. I have no family and no where to go."

"What would you like to happen Beth?"

"I don't know, Mike. I'm all out of answers. I do know I'm tired of running and I'm tired of being afraid."

We sat in silence for a moment before I said, "Will you let me help you and Lisa."

Beth looked at me, suspicion filling her eyes. "Why would you do that for us Mike? You don't even know us. What's in it for you?"

"First off Beth I neither expect nor want anything from you or Lisa in return. The truth is that I was lucky and came into some money. For the last year I have sought to help people by writing checks to charities I felt were deserving. What I haven't done is become involved in personally helping others. I guess you could say my motivation is selfish. Because if I can help you and Lisa straighten your lives out then I can sit back and feel good about it. So it's up to you Beth. I'm offering to help you and your daughter but I can't force you to accept it. Why don't you and Lisa talk it over and sleep on it. You can give me your answer tomorrow. If you want my help we will sit down and come up with a plan. At anytime you wish to leave you are free to go. The only commitment I expect from you is to do your best for yourself and your daughter. If you don't trust me, tomorrow I will take you wherever you want and drop you off. It's up to you.

"Now, I didn't get much sleep last night and I'm tired so I'm going to bed. You and Lisa are welcome to use the game room and feel free to help yourself to anything you find in the kitchen. You already know where to sleep. Good night."

Having said that I stood and walked to the stairs and up to my bedroom leaving Beth to stare open mouthed at my departing back.

---------------------Beth

Beth sat and stared at Mikes back as he went upstairs. 'Could this be for real,' she wondered. Could Mike really want to help them expecting nothing in return. Beth thought of everything he had done since he had found them. First he had rescued her from certain rape and possibly worse. And only God knows what would have happened to her daughter if they had found her. He then took them into his home, fed them and gave them a warm safe place to sleep. And she thought of his sister Mel and her little girls. They obviously adored Mike. In the meantime he had made no sexual overtures nor even innuendos. In fact he had stated flat out that he wanted nothing from her.

Would it be so bad to accept his help. After all if he turned out to be like the other men in her life she could take Lisa and run again. She would be back to where she was last night. But right now they had clean clothes, hot meals and a warm bed. And she was starting already to see a positive change in Lisa after spending a day playing with children her own age. She made up her mind, she was going to accept his offer. She would still be wary of Mike's intent but she had no other prospects. She had to try this for her daughter's sake.

-------------------------------Mike

In my room I took a shower and then slipped into bed. Sleep didn't come easy. My mind still going over the story Beth told Mel about her life. If it was true, and I had seen no reason not believe it, I really hoped she would let me help her. Even if for no other reason than the sake of her daughter. I also remembered something else my sister had told me. While we were gone she had gone to the laundry room to help Beth. When Beth had removed their clothes from the dryer Mel had noticed how worn and threadbare everything was. I decided first thing would be new clothes for both of them if Beth decided to stay. Then we would need to get Lisa enrolled in school. I would have to ask Beth about getting her transcript. As these thoughts filtered through my mind sleep gradually took me.

The next morning I awoke at my usual early 6 a.m. I went and put on my jogging suit, let the dogs out, drank one cup of coffee and headed off for my morning run. Unlike yesterday morning, I found Beth and Lisa in the kitchen when I returned. Lisa was sitting at the table watching her mother at the stove. As I walked in Beth turned towards me.

"I hope you don't mind. I thought I would fix us breakfast this morning."

"No, not at all. I'm just going to take a quick shower and I will be back down," I said heading for my room.

I showered and shaved in record time. Dressing hurriedly I trotted down the stairs back to the kitchen. My timing must have been perfect as Beth was just placing the plates on the table. I took my usual seat and looked over a Lisa. She gave me a shy smile and said. "Good-morning Mr. Mike."

"Good-morning sweetie. And how are you this fine morning?"

"I'm good," she giggled.

"And Beth, how are you this morning?" I asked.

She smiled slightly. "I'm good." Her response eliciting another giggle from Lisa.

I then dug into my breakfast which consisted of two fried eggs, two pancakes, a side of sausage and toast. It was really quite tasty.

"I must say Beth, you have prepared a very fine breakfast. Your pancakes are wonderfully light and fluffy. You're going to have to show me how to fix them like this."

Beth could hear the sincerity in my voice and I could see a flush of pride in her face. Note to self. Beth needs more compliments. I'm sure that is something that has been totally lacking in her life for a while. Lisa was humming happily as she ate. It made my heart feel good to hear her. When she finished she looked up.

"Mr. Mike, can I go outside and play with the puppies?"

"It's fine with me, Lisa. But you had better ask your mother."

"Can I mama?"

Beth considered for a moment. "Okay, honey. Just be careful."

"I will mama," said Lisa jumping up from her seat running to kiss her mother on the cheek before heading outside.

I looked over at Beth. "She really is a sweet child."

"Yes she is. I think I would have lost the will to go on sometimes if not for her. She is the center of my life."

We spent the next few moments in silence just sipping our coffee. Finally I had to ask, "Have you made your decision, Beth?"

"Yes, Mike I have. I would be a fool to turn down your offer. For the sake of my daughter I will accept. I will say I still have some concerns about your motives but for now I choose to trust you until you prove otherwise."

"Duly noted, Beth, and accepted. Under the circumstances I can understand your concerns. Now if you will excuse me I have a phone call to make then I will help you clean up the kitchen."

"No, Mike. I will clean up in here. I would like to feel useful, please.?" she asked.

I could see that she was serious. I felt her wanting to pull her weight was a good sign. "Okay, I'll be in the game room then."

I left the kitchen pulling out my cell phone and dialed my sisters number. As usual George answered.

"Hey George. It's me again." I said when he answered.

"Don't tell me. You want to borrow my family again?" he said.

"Well, if Mel is agreeable yes I do. But only if it's alright with you."

"Alright I'll let you talk to your sister. But you owe me." I could hear him chuckle before he yelled to my sister to pick up the phone.

"Hi, baby brother, how's it going?" she asked.

"Well I made Beth an offer to help her get back on her feet and she has accepted it."

"Mike, you're a good man. I hope this works out. I had my concerns at first but after talking to Beth I think what you're doing is noble."

I chuckled at that. "I wish she could see it that way too, but she doesn't trust me yet. Maybe in time. The reason I was calling though was to see if you and the girls would take Beth and Lisa shopping for new clothes and whatever else they may need. My credit card of course."

"Hmmm, a day shopping spending a man's money. Let me think." Sis paused for effect. "Okay count me in. Have them ready and we'll be by in about an hour."

"Thanks, sis. I love you."

"I know you do, baby brother. See you soon."

Now time to tell Beth and Lisa they were going shopping. Heading for the kitchen I paused at the door and looked in. Like her daughter earlier at breakfast I could hear Beth humming a tune as she was putting the final touches on the clean up of our breakfast. I gave a polite cough so Beth would know I was there. She spun around her face coloring that I had caught her humming to herself. Wisely I chose to ignore this.

"I just wanted to tell you that Mel will be here in a little while. She and the girls are going to take you and Lisa shopping."

"Shopping?" questioned Beth.

"Yes, shopping. For new clothes, shoes, and whatever else you might need. If you are going to let me help, you and Lisa are going to need these things."

I could see Beth swallowing her pride. "Alright Michael, if you say so."

This was the first time she had ever addressed me by my full name. For some reason I liked it.

Beth walked to the door leading to the back deck and called for Lisa. Huffing and puffing Lisa came running up chased by my two dogs.

"Yes, Mama?"

"I want you to come in now and have a bath and change into clean clothes. Mel and the girls are coming over to take us shopping," said Beth.

At the mention of my nieces Lisa's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. "Jeanie and Missy are coming. Yippee. Okay, mama, I'll hurry and get my bath." With that she scampered off for the bathroom they were using.

I was still standing there chuckling when Beth left to join Lisa. To kill time I went to the game room and turned the TV on to a football game. Neither team playing was my favorite but I do enjoy watching the game. Half an hour later I heard the pitter patter of little feet running towards me.

"Are they here yet?" she asked bursting into the room.

"Not yet sweetie. Just a little while longer. Here, I'll change the channel to cartoons and you can watch until they get here."

"Alright," she said sweetly plopping down on the couch.

I grinned as I watched her fidget looking out the window constantly, looking for her new friends to arrive. Another fifteen minutes passed and Beth made her appearance. I saw that she was wearing one of Mel's dresses.

"Do you think your sister would mind me wearing her dress? I just don't have anything suitable to wear."

"I'm sure it'll be fine Beth. Don't worry."

Right then I saw their car pulling up to the house as did Lisa who jumped up screaming, "They're here, they're here."

And in less than two shakes of a lambs tail she was flying out the front door to see her new friends. I just looked at Beth and grinned. For the first time she smiled back with a smile that actually lit up her face. We followed the path blazed by Lisa and made our way out to greet my sister and nieces. After the preliminary greetings were out of the way we got the three little ones strapped into the back seat and Beth in the front passenger seat, my sister came over to me.

"Any instructions Mike?" she asked.

I handed her my credit card. "C'mon sis. I'm just a mere mortal man. What do I know about what women need or want. Take them out buy them what they need. Get their hair done, whatever you think. Clothes, shoes, make up. Treat everyone to lunch and if you and the girls see anything you like add it to my tab. Just try to keep it under a million, Okay?"

My sister looked at me and giggled. "Right I got it. One million is our limit. Bye baby brother."

With that she spun and headed for her car. "Mel," I yelled after her. She merely spun and blew me kiss hopping in her car and speeding off.

I shuddered and walked back towards the house. If I kept this up I might have to take out a loan.

To pass the time I went up to my home gym and put in a two hour work out. I then wandered out to the back yard and played with the dogs. I fixed myself a nice salad for lunch and then went to the game room and watched some TV. By five o'clock I was pacing back and forth. Come six o'clock I began to worry. Just as I was reaching for my cell phone to call my sister I saw her car pulling up the drive. Of course, being the nonchalant macho man that I was I raced back to the game room and quickly sat down in my chair flipping the channel to ESPN. Sitting there I could here the front door open and the sounds of female laughter. Still feigning disinterest I sat there as my nieces and Lisa burst into the room. My two nieces jumped into my lap laughing.

"Uncle Mike, we had so much fun," I heard Missy say. "Look at Lisa. She's got all new clothes and her hair done."

I looked over at Lisa standing shyly watching me and my nieces. She did look nice in her new clothes and her hair cut framed her cute little face.

"My, my, my," I stated. "You are absolutely stunning sweetie."

Lisa blushed at my praise. "Thank you, Mr. Mike."

I then looked over to see my sister and Beth walk into the room. When I looked at Beth I lost my breath. This was not the same woman who had left here earlier today. In her place was a ravishing blond. My sister watched me with my mouth opening and closing like a fish starving for oxygen.

"Mike aren't you going to say something?" asked Mel.

"You look very nice Beth." I knew I was stammering as I said this. I could feel my face blush.

"Thank you, Michael. That's very nice of you." I watched as Beth blushed now.

Mel then commanded me, "Get up Mike. Go out and bring in their bags so the girls and I can get home."

Setting my nieces on the floor I immediately complied. Three trips later I had everything transferred to their room. Returning to the game room I informed Mel that everything was unloaded.

My sister rose from her seat and told the girls to get in the car and walked over to Beth and kissed her on the cheek telling her they would get together later in the week. Heading for the door she told me to walk her out.

Once we reached her car Mel turned to me. "Mike, I have to say, that after spending the day with Beth and her daughter they are truly nice people. I think what you are doing for them is really nice."

I guess at that point I really couldn't think of much to say. So I just hugged my sister and gave my nieces a kiss on the cheek and made my way back into the house. Stepping through the front door I could hear Beth and Lisa still talking excitedly about their day. I walked to the game room and told Beth that I had put their purchases in their room.

"I'm going to bed now," I told them. "If your hungry help yourselves to the kitchen. I'll see you in the morning."

I turned and and walked briskly up to my room. Shutting my door behind me I just walked over and sat on my bed. I have only known Beth for two days but when she walked in the house this evening and I saw her true beauty I was shocked. Shocked at how beautiful she really was and shocked at my reaction to her. I've only known her for two days and suddenly my feelings are becoming twisted into knots. Get a grip man, I told myself. Do you want to live through another Jenny. The thought of my ex-wife and what she did to me was enough to break the spell I was in. Beth and Lisa are just a project. I am out to do a good deed, not to get my heart broken again.

--------------------- Beth

Beth sat stunned that Mike had just walked in and announced he was going to bed. She and Lisa had spent a wonderful day with Mel and her daughters. They had so much fun together. But, now, coming back to Mike's home he seemed brusque and agitated. Beth began to fear they had gone too far today and overstepped their bounds.

Beth hadn't wanted to spend that much money but Mel had insisted. Mel could be extremely persuasive when she wanted to be. The morning had started out tense for Beth but by the time they stopped for lunch she and Mel were getting along famously. And by the time they had arrived back at Mike's home Beth felt as if she had known Mel for years. Watching Lisa had been amazing as well. To see her daughter laughing and having fun with her new friends was a blessing in itself. It had been so long since she had seen Lisa this happy.

Mike's reaction when they had returned was nothing like Beth had expected. Not exactly sure what she expected from him, it sure wasn't the cold shoulder treatment he had displayed. She now began to fear that Mike was going to ask them to leave. This would really hurt Lisa to lose her new found friends. That night Beth slept fitfully, tossing and turning wondering what the morning would bring.

to be continued...

Web_Spinner
Web_Spinner
2,984 Followers